(See All?) Announcements
715 Users Online
Google, Bing

In My Veins — Spectral Woods 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
For @Jessie <3 - We might have to backdate this to right after the meeting, if it keeps the direction it's going in now.

It was over. The pack had made their decisions, and so he would carry out what he had planned. Only one thing remained before he would leave the ghostly woods that had been his home for the past two years, hopefully leaving behind some of the pain that tried to keep him from moving on.

The last of the sunlight was fading from the sky, the moon taking over, making everything shimmer with silver. The branches of oak and birch were still naked, but the elder man had noticed the scent of spring in the air. And spring was the time for new beginnings after all, so although the reactions at the meeting had been more dramatic than he had hoped for, he wasn't completely defeated. Of course, that could change yet. Darkness tipped in silver, like the forest around him, the man moved purposefully, seeking out the one wolves who's decision meant more for him than anyone's. This night would be the final testament, to whether his gamble had lost him everything.

His nose let him to her, as easy as if he had already known where she was. Her silvery coat glistening in the moonlight, he couldn't help but gulp a quick breath, pausing to simply look at her through the trees. Then he gathered himself, stepping clear of the shadows to call to her softly: "Jessie?"

Word count: 229

”Speech" Thoughts
Played by Lightning who has 727 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn
This thread gave me Jessie muse I was sourly lacking.

The pack meeting had not gone well and Jessie’s heart ached at the memory. The words she had spoken to Triell weeks ago pinged as a reminder in her mind. This pack isn’t a family anymore. There was no respect. Had it been Corinna that suggested a pack relocation, no one would have questioned her. That was what had happened when they had moved from Swift River and the reminder brought back what she had said at the meeting. The tension between pack mates only furthered her dislike of being within Oak Tree Bend. It had once been a place of happiness for her, when they had been back at the River, just as Triell had mentioned, but the Bend had never truly held any hope for her, not until Hotei came back and now he was gone as well.

The reminder that spring was upon them was an unwelcome one to Jessie. Her skin was on fire and it was another token for her to remember Hotei by, another season without him. Generally, the widowed Tainn would have avoided Hotei due to the heated situations they had gotten themselves in. Jessie would tend to herself and withdraw from others more than usual, but now she found herself wanting the companionship of her former lover more than anything. It sent another pang through her heart with the knowledge that she would, no doubt, have to move on.

Movement from behind her startled her out of her thoughts and she whirled around, canine’s bared just as her name was uttered. Jessie found that her reaction was completely unnecessary, especially when she found that the intruder was only Drestig. The silver woman let out a calming sigh into the night, his name falling from her lips as a soft whisper. She turned away from him then, her emerald eyes looking out into the darkness, her voice unusually soft, ”I told you it wouldn’t be easy…” And that it hadn’t. It had been complete hell.

[Image: jessiehotei-greysig01.jpg]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

He hadn't meant to startle her, but a lot of things had happened that he hadn't meant for. He bared teeth made his silvered brows raise high, but he didn't react otherwise, simply staying where he stood till she recognized him. He was no threat to her. His name was but a breath in her mouth, and it made his heart clench, fiery eyes finding her forest greens across the darkness. She quickly looked away though, and when she spoke, her voice was softer than he ever remembered, even as the words were hard. He blinked, feeling his chest tighten. "I tried Jessie, I really did!" Unlike at the meeting, he couldn't quite keep the pain out of his voice. He turned his eyes down, his shoulders feeling three times as heavy as normal. He couldn't help but feel like a failure. He had tried, but perhaps he could have done better, gone about it differently? It was too late now, to wonder though, he couldn't dream of trying to convince anyone who'd already decided to stay, and besides he felt pretty sure that, at least one of them wouldn't hesitate to charge him on sight. He shook his head to thrust out the memories, he couldn't think of the meeting right now.

Instead he looked back up at Jessie, her back still turned. Her shoulder blades were easily visible through her sleek, salt and pepper coat, even after she had regained her strength and put on weight again after the loss of Hotei, she had remained slender, her age invisible on the delicate frame. Drestig sighed, slowly moving towards her, paws falling heavy in the underbrush. Once he came to her side, he sat down, the longest hairs of his ebony fur just barely gracing her. For some time he remained silent, following her gaze, staring into the ghostly forest; I hate this place! It was so dark, even in the brightest daylight, it lay in shadow; We need to find somewhere filled with light! We… That was the thing, would it be? Turning his head, the silver tipped man bended his muzzle down to hover right beside hers, eyes seeking hers out, hoping she would turn to face him. Then he spoke, just a whisper in the darkness: "Will you come with me at least?" He fought not to sound pleading, to hide how desperately he wanted the answer to be yes. He wasn't sure it was successful though. But in the end, she was all that mattered, if he could bring her, and create a new home somewhere, with her, where they could both get a chance to be happy again, then that was all that mattered.

Word count: 450

”Speech" Thoughts

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

The pain in his voice at his admittance broke her heart and she had to shut her lids to calm her racing heart. His speech towards the pack had been valiant and she had been proud of him, but they had seen it in a negative light and condemned him for it. While she had been quick to defend him, her words, no doubt would have a negative impact on her record. It was no use dwelling on the events of the meeting. She would not have changed the fact that she defended her former mistress or Drestig, both she held a great deal of respect for.

Caught in her own thoughts, she had not noticed her former pupil’s approach and while, any other day, his proximity would have been welcome, today it was overwhelming. Jessie’s body was tense and her eyes were pinned on an unknown object in the distance, willing herself to keep her eyes away from him. But when he spoke, his voice broke through her thoughts. She swallowed. While her heart told her to do what she thought was right, her moral obligations held her back. But when was the last time she did something for herself? And then there was the matter of Triell and the thought of the unknown.

His muzzle hovered just above hers, so that she could see it out of her periphery but she held steady in her lack of eye contact with him. The dark man knew her well enough to know of her moral code and her deep ingrained opinion of loyalty. Would she be breaking it? And then she broke the silence, ”I want to say yes,” as she turned to lock gazes with him, her voice wavered, the only inclination as to how emotional this was for her, ”Can you give me a good reason to say yes?” While her tone wasn’t pleading as his were, her deep set emerald eyes were. He was asking her to give up the home she had known for years and to leave a part of her she wasn’t sure she was strong enough to leave on her own.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
I was watching Burlesque and THIS came on as I was writing your post </3

Her tension was familiar to him, though he sensed today it was different than usual. Which wasn't so strange, he knew what the Bend meant to her, what loyalty meant to her. After the meeting he was all but ready to throw that loyalty back in the faces of those who had taken her words as wood for their own, personal, fires, but she might not feel that way. Jessie had served under Corinna for longer than Drestig could even imagine, she had been loyal to the Tainn's, become a Tainn… Well, it wasn't so simple. So he baited his breath, keeping still in his place, but not moving to connect the last distance between them. For a long time they were silent, despite his attempts she didn't meet his eyes, and already his heart was plummeting. Then finally she spoke, and now he was the one to tense up. The but was easy enough to hear in her voice, and it turned his world black; No! No, no, NO! What would he do? What had he done?!

Then she finally met his eyes, desperation in her emerald gaze. There was a lump in his throat, a clear sting behind his eyes, though they remained dry, locked in her grip. Her question echoed in his head, ricocheting back and forth in his skull, making his ears ring and pain bloom above his brow. A reason, A reason, just one! Because he knew what he was asking, knew that he would be taking her away from the only life she had known and dragging her to an unknown future. But they would get a chance to leave the hurt behind, to start anew, a last chance to be happy. He finally found his voice; "I can give you a hundred. Because what is left for you here is more likely to cause pain than anything else; Because you deserve another chance at happiness; Because you know Triell would put your happiness above any bond that still keeps you here, and the rest of them… Well they've made themselves clear enough." He had to pause for breath, but now that he had started, there was no stopping the stream of words spilling from his maw; "Say yes because you still want to live, without being stuck in the past. Say yes because it's right, because it's what you want to do." She had said so herself.

He felt slightly breathless, embers still locked tight on her deep greens, clinging to them, to her. He paused for a little while, trying to compose himself, though it didn't seem to help much. When he spoke again, his voice was lower, softer, leaving behind the franticness that had fueled his list. He had left the most selfish reason for last: "Because I want you to, I need you with me! You are my strength, without you I'm not sure what's left of me. Let me be yours!" Then he fell silent, panting quietly. his eyes were fully dilated, ears pointed forwards to focus only on her. She was the last thing he had, and he realized, that he had long ago begun attaching to her, using her as support when he hadn't enough strength of his own. If she wouldn't come with him, he might as well cease to exist all together.

Word count: 557

”Speech" Thoughts

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

He was silent for a moment before he launched into a rant of his own. The dark man’s words shocked her but she tried to keep this off of her face. Jessie listened to his words, her emerald eyes wide. It had been useless to calm her racing heartbeat, as it only proved to accelerate once again. The pepper and salt colored woman could not bring herself to tear her gaze away from his fiery gaze. His words and gaze made her feel hot but she remained still, listening to what he had to say to her silently. What he did say held weight and she knew within her heart that he was correct. Triell would want her to be happy, no matter what, and that would never happen within the confines of Oak Tree Bend, her prison. If she did stay, the lady was sure she would not be able to make it through without him, especially with her most recent stunt.

What she had not been expecting was his next confession. The widowed Tainn listened anxiously in silence, her throat growing dry with what he said. She was his strength and he was hers. Perhaps, it was a direct result of both of their loves being taken from them but in the end a bond had formed, one that would once again prove to be unbreakable. She swallowed to moisten what she could of her throat, her emerald eyes connecting with his ambers ones once again. For once, Jessie was the first to reach out and initiate physical contact between them, gently rubbing her muzzle along his neck and up to his dark ear. Her voice was soft, ”As long as I am yours… I would be lost without you.” Her admittance was even softer and it was true. He had helped her beyond what was necessary and had gotten her out of the dark pit that she had trapped her mind in. Together, they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

He hadn't wanted to stop talking, scared to death of what she might say. He knew how strong her sense of loyalty was, something he'd never quite been able to wrap his chaotic mind around, and yet he admired it. But there was a limit, surely she could see that, she couldn't let her duty become her entire life, he wouldn't let her! So if she says she'll stay? He couldn't exactly drag her out, yet he couldn't leave her either, to the darkness that would consume her here. Perhaps it was selfish, even arrogant, of him to think that she could not thrive without him; But they had faced hell together, and he knew that they had helped each other through it. But the shadows still lurked, waiting for one small misstep to drag either of them back into the pit of sorrow and darkness; I can't abandon her to that! The rest, they might yet find peace here in the woods that was, after all, a new beginning for most of them, and had offered them shelter for a large part, or even all of their life. But not Jessie and him, they would never be able to escape the ghosts here.

So he gritted his teeth behind tightly pressed lips, staring into those dark eyes, trying to read her mind, and thinking, at least to some degree, that he was succeeding. They knew each other, about as intimately s it was possible, he knew she would see truth in his words; But will they be enough? Then she moved, surprise cursing through his every fiber as she close the last inch of distance, caressing him gently. For a moment their roles were reversed, and he tensed under her touch, but it was barely a heartbeat, then he relaxed, feeling heat seep through his skin from where she'd touched it. Her breath was warm against his neck, tickling his ear as she stretched to whisper in it. And the words made a heavy sigh fall from his dark lips, slumped shoulders dropping further as the tension of fear left him. Slowly he moved to press his own muzzle against her peppered head, bringing his mouth to her ear as he answered softly: "Nothing would make me happier."

And yet, there was something. Glowing embers closed as he tried to focus on her entirely, feeling the warmth of her body against his – the touch he realized he had been aching for, for so long. But he ached for another thing, the thing that had pushed him to this course of action in the first place; Family..! Jessie was that, in every important way, but was it enough? Just the two of them? The Ebony man loosened himself, just slightly, from their embrace, gazing down at the lean woman. His eyes were glowing with soft warmth. He felt connected to her more than he had anyone in his life, but did she feel the same? For all in the world, he didn't wanna push her too far, drive her off now that she'd agreed to stay with him. But he needed to be completely clear on where they stood.

"Whatever we create will be great." He assured in his hushed tenor. "Once we've collected a few like minds, we'll build a new home. I couldn't imagine anyone I'd rather have by my side." The sentiment was as genuine as it could be, Jessie might not be the most social kind, but she had an air of authority, and when she did speak up, it was with confidence. Personally, he would heed her every command. In truth, he thought she had deserved to take the helm of Oak Tree Bend, rather than being passed over several times. Perhaps she had felt better in her scouting role when Nayeli became queen, perhaps her state of mind had been too fragile when she disappeared, but still, with her years of loyalty she'd proven herself many times over compared to any other female in the pack. This was nothing against Spieden, the woman had done a marvelous job, stepping up unprepared and managing to keep the pack together when it was threatening to fall apart; Even when few of them knew her very well. Well, it was no matter now, Jessie would come with him, and she would get exactly what she wanted, and deserved, he would make sure of that.

Word count: 737

”Speech" Thoughts

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

For a moment, Jessie thought that she had done something wrong, for Drestig tensed beneath her touch. A moment later, however, he relaxed and the small woman released a small sigh, her ears pricked forward towards his deep voice. She felt warm and for the first time in quite some time she felt hope for the happiness she longed for. They remained in their embrace for quire some time, until it was Drestig that pulled away. There was no protest from Jessie but her emerald gaze did seek out his familiar amber orbs immediately, searching them for any sign of doubt, making sure that this was what he wanted for him, for the both of them. When he spoke, she listened, allowing him to do whatever he must. She knew that she would have to put effort and time into their endeavor but for him and their family, it would be worth it. To have a family again was the only thing that Jessie had ever wanted and she was starting that with Drestig, a man from the beginning she had thought she was going to despise and going through Triell and Hotei's coaxing she had given a chance.

When he was finished speaking, she spoke, her voice holding a slight bit of sarcasm in it, ”Well, I was hoping that you would want to keep me around. Besides, no one else is going to keep your attitude in check.” And then she laughed, another thing that she hadn't done in quite awhile and perhaps, something she shouldn't have graced the trees within the Bend the pleasure of hearing. But the Avalon man deserved happiness and that was never going to be found there. It was time for them to leave...but there was one last thing. The widowed woman's facial expression fell, lips turning into a frown. When she spoke again, her voice was softer, ”Before we leave I..I just-” she broke off for a moment, looking at her paws to gain her strength before looking back up into his eyes, ”I just need to tell Triell goodbye. He's my brother. It was the last thing she wanted, to cause Drestig any pain with her words and she hoped that he understood that she needed this closure with Triell before they departed. After all, it might be the last time they ever see one another.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
@Jessie <3 - A last one from you and we an archive.

They looked into each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity, and yet passed all too quickly. But before he tore his gaze away, he took his time to study every aspect of those emerald green depths; Again, for he already knew them better than the back of his own paws. Then he allowed his focus to shift, brows rising slightly when Jessie started to speak, her tone so utterly different from before. He couldn't help but smile, grin even, as his own medicine was thrown back in his face. Yes, as long as she was with him, they'd both do alright.

But she wasn't done surprising, for the last word to leave her lips was followed by a bright, tinkling laughter, echoing almost unnaturally among the dark oak trees. He'd never heard that sound before, never heard her laugh so genuinely, and it almost send shivers down his spine. As soon as it began to fade, he was determined to bring it back, to make her laugh again, over and over, because it was undoubtedly the most beautiful thing he had ever heard, and she deserved to be laughing the rest of her life. He was quite possibly staring at her with apparent reverence, but as he joy faded, so did his wonder, replaced by worry at the hesitancy suddenly ringing in her voice. When she averted her eyes, he felt dread starting to build, deep in the pit of his stomach, and he had to breathe deeply to control his emotion, allowing the grey woman to finish.

What she said instantly made the not in his belly loosen, a fresh, tiny smile appearing on his silvered muzzle. Her tone and expression proved that she considered this a risky topic, but Drestig understood completely, and nodded firmly. "Of course," He rumbled, a hint of sadness in his tone, but no anger. Of course she needed to say goodbye, they had know each other longer than Drestig had either, and her exit from the horrid meeting had been even less graceful than his own. Personally, he knew he could have made a better farewell, but the situation had run away with him, and now done was done. He couldn't go back. The fact that she was insistent to, only proved what he already knew to be true: that she was stronger than him. He couldn't look Triell in the eyes again, but if she had the strength to do so, she had his utmost respect. So he nudged her muzzle gently, looking into her eyes again as he said: "Could you tell him goodbye from me? An sorry, that things… Ended the way they did?" His eyes drifted again, seemingly staring emptily into the distance, though he was in fact focused on one very specific point; "I've got… One last stop to make."

Silver's grave was close by, he thought it appropriate to give that a last goodbye too, even if he didn't truly believe she was there anymore. He would wait there, until Jessie had finished what she needed, then they would head out; Together.

Word count: 517

”Speech" Thoughts

pride12