Pulling the Puzzles Apart — Quaking Vale 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ranico who has 60 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Partly Cloudy – 45º F, 7º C
Mid-Morning
Back-dated to April 17, 2017

@Castel – If the exact date needs to be adjusted or eliminated altogether just let me know!

Kuwindwa drifted forward like a ghost, pale against the trees of Quaking Vale. She was returning from the borders. Perhaps she had been patrolling. Perhaps not.

It seemed spring was trying to make a small comeback, and just in time. The weather drifted into a warmer cycle again almost with Kuwindwa's arrival in Quaking Vale. It left an impression, lightening the warrior's mood subtly and lifting her spirit. Even so, the strangeness of this new chapter in her life was still preventing any sense of euphoria from settling in on the otherwise lionhearted woman. She had no doubt she would find her place in the pack and stand firm in it, but she had been... altered. Kuwindwa had never felt her own brokenness more keenly than she did now, standing in the midst of the aspen woods. Halting her step, she drew in a deep breath. It was hard to see in this fragile spring, but it was surely a lovely forest when the leaves were full. It was not as thick with foliage as the home she remembered, and the smell was entirely different. Could she really associate it with home?

Her bronze eyes cast around her, taking in the pallid trunks and empty branches that seemed to whisper at her forlornly in the breeze. Lifting her nose to the sky, she allowed herself to be lost, a statue of a wolf frozen but for the ruffling of her fur in the wind. The wind stilled, but Kuwindwa's tattered heart did not, and her head lowered to regard her new home not for the first time that week, and certainly not the last time.

Drifting forward, Kuwindwa's broad paws took her closer to the territory's heart with each step. She had wandered for so long with no purpose, she still felt uncertain that she had found one here. Still, if anything Sahalie had to say was true... perhaps this would truly be a place worth staying in.
(This post was last modified: Apr 30, 2017, 03:42 AM by Kuwindwa.)
Played by Van who has 237 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Castel Lyall-Noor
Cas was... feeling better than she had in months. Her optimism was at an all-time high with the creation of the new pack, and after some rest and relaxation, she'd gotten a lot of her strength back. The tiny silver-dusted girl was slowly, but surely, gaining back some of her strength, and she practically skipped as she walked through Quaking Vale's territory. She'd been marking the borders and making sure that the territory itself was solid enough - the pack was so young that it might be hard to keep others out of their borders.

And, speaking of...

The little wolf perked her ears when she caught wind of an odd scent, and, without thinking, started after it. Cas was in no way aggressive or cruel, and though she had a sharp tongue when she got angry, she wasn't sure that she could scare anyone off. Still, her fur bristled and her tail rose as she spotted the other woman - an older, stronger, much larger white-and-silver wolf looking through the trees. But, thankfully, before she could act aggressively, she caught the scents of Sahalie, Alastor, and Larkspur lingering on the new woman's own smell. Surely that meant they were fully aware of her presence, at the very least.

The ginger-tinged girl's tail waved over her back like a banner and she relaxed her posture as she approached the larger woman. "Hey, there!" she greeted, blue eyes making an attempt to make contact with this woman's bronze. She still had her tail raised - it was something she'd done her entire life, but now carried a bit more meaning. She was second in the pack, and though she was highly social and wanted to give this woman a very warm welcome, she wanted to convey rank, as well. "My name's Cas. Who're you?"
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Kuwindwa was dragged from her reminiscing by the approach of pawsteps. An ear flicked, turning toward the sound before the woman's head followed suit in a fluid, snake-like movement. Shoulders and back followed when the russet female spoke. If Kuwindwa had thought @Sahalie small and young, then this fragile wolf approaching her was like a puppy next to Wind's giant frame. Her legs looked too skinny to Kuwindwa, her coat too thick, and then there were her eyes. Kuwindwa had never seen a wolf with blue eyes. Though struck momentarily dumb by the shock of it, Kuwindwa's impassive expression scarcely altered as she remained still, allowing the smaller wolf to approach her. Which of the wolves @Larkspur mentioned was she? For so small a thing she moved boldly, unafraid of showing her position to a wolf who could probably crush her just by sitting on her.

It was almost admirable, and far from repulsed or annoyed, the slightest curvature formed on Kuwindwa's lips, softening her face. The little woman wanted to show her position and Kuwindwa was a new arrival. If she was irked by showing respect to this little wisp, it didn't show. Keeping her body language passive, Kuwindwa's ears lowered and her tail hung limply between her ankles. If Castel wanted more, she would have to beg for it a little harder.

"My name's Cas. Who are you?" Cas? A nickname, perhaps? Had Larkspur mentioned someone along those lines?

Kuwindwa dipped her head and her gaze respectfully... which took a bit more effort considering the other female was so much smaller than the tall woman. Her chin nearly touched her chest. Eyes and nose lifted enough to meet Castel's sky-like eyes again when she spoke, "I am Kuwindwa Mapinago. I arrived in Quaking Vale two days ago." Matter-of-fact. No more information than required. "It is... good to meet a packmate," ventured the warrior, a small smile appearing on her pale muzzle. She didn't smile often, but she hoped it at least looked real enough.
Inactive Deceased
Castel Lyall-Noor
The larger woman displayed a submissive position and Cas felt... violently uncomfortable with the whole ordeal. "Ah, please, don't, um- you don't have to do that," she told her, heading up and touching her nose gingerly to the newcomer's cheek in a greeting. She pulled back with a smile on her lips and her tail dropping to rest easily at her hocks. It still swayed back and forth. "Sorry - I'm just, uh... not used to the whole rank thing. Making things up as I go. It's not important - what's important is making you feel comfortable," she explained, large ears angling forward as she tried to catch the massive wolf's name.

"K-Kuwin-" she began, eyes narrowing as she made an attempt to pronounce it. "Mind if I just call you Windy?" she tried, a sheepish smile donning her expression as she sent her gaze upward to meet her new packmate's. "My full name is Castel Noor, but everyone just calls me Cas. Short, sweet, and to the point, right?" The little wolf let out a soft laugh at the end of her statement.

Cas tipped her head to the side, arching one brow. "Two days ago? And I'm just now getting the chance to greet you?" she jested, tail wagging a bit more enthusiastically. "Better late than never, I guess. It's very nice to meet you," the silver-dusted girl told Kuwindwa genuinely, blue eyes alight with glee. But then her brows knitted with concern. "Are you settling in well? Have you had anything to eat yet? Has Larkspur been a dick to you?" All three were very important questions, and though Cas had fired them off in rapid succession, she hoped that Kuwindwa didn't feel overwhelmed.
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Cas suddenly looked uncomfortable. All her confidence evaporated, revealing her display to be just that: a show. It had felt normal to Kuwindwa – a reminder of structure and rank. It was the most dominance the warrior had seen displayed since her arrival in Quaking Vale. Kuwindwa decided it was more disturbing to have the russet wolf shrink back from her title than for the giant to bow with her larger frame... Then the small woman's nose was on Kuwindwa's cheek and, just like the other day she felt an inward jolt: contact. Touch. How had she gone so long without it? It seemed when Cas had pulled back her real spirit shone through, and Kuwindwa almost smiled in spite of herself as she briefly returned the greeting, judgment forgotten.

"Don't apologize," murmured Kuwindwa, "It is your right. I am... out-of-practice myself. We can both figure it out as we go," suggested Kuwindwa with a half-hearted shrug from one shoulder. A thin smile formed on her dark lips as she considered, why should the giant warrior not be at the little wolf's beck-and-call? It would take work to remind herself how to serve again, but until then she could practice.

A wry smile forced its way onto Kuwindwa's face, "You are not the first to struggle with my name," – indeed, Kuwindwa herself was likely the first wolf ever to wrestle with it – "Windy will do." She may not have been enthused, but maybe her approval would be enough. The nickname was not unlike others she had once carried... a conflict of emotions nearly tore the poor woman's chest apart. A warmth for being given something associated with friendship so soon, and a crushing grip of past could-have-beens.

Castel's bemusement prompted a nod, "Yes. Well, I didn't exactly... seek anyone out," admitted Kuwindwa, her brow furrowing slightly. There was the discomfort: she was still figuring out her feelings on all of this exactly. Two days in made her decision to follow Larkspur seem like some romantic notion – as if her life could ever be good or complete again, free of torment. But Castel was easy-going, as so many of the wolves in this area seemed to be. They were almost too free, and it caused a thread of anxiety for Kuwindwa. She'd have her work cut out if she intended to protect these... tiny wolves. The next barrage of questions caused Kuwindwa's brows to raise. The first two were fairly normal, but the last one...?

"Is... Larkspur usually a dick?" It was probably a silly question if Castel's serious expression was anything to go by.
(This post was last modified: May 03, 2017, 03:19 AM by Kuwindwa.)
Inactive Deceased
Castel Lyall-Noor
I've formally decided that I love Kuwindwa and so does Cas

If there was anything Cas had an excess of, it was confidence. She was not submissive, or aggressive. She was... more or less, she was just personable and friendly. She didn't want to posture herself to the older, larger wolf. She didn't want to have others submit to her. It felt very unnatural to the wolf who had very little pack experience. Still, the other woman reciprocated her greeting, and Cas relaxed when Kuwindwa did. A little trill of excitement fluttered its way into her chest. Perhaps she'd just made a friend in her newest packmate. Because, as far as Cas was concerned, one could never have too many friends.

A laugh pealed from the younger wolf's chest when Kuwindwa suggested they both figure it out as they went. "I'm definitely going to try!" she told her, blue eyes shining with mirth, but still completely serious. "I want to do my absolute best for everyone here, and I want the pack to run as smoothly as possible. Most of us are really young, and the lack of experience will make it a little more difficult, but I believe we can make something beautiful here, in Quaking Vale." She turned her gaze toward the trees with a soft smile.

Windy will do, the other wolf said, and Cas' tail waved up like a banner again happily. "You look like a Windy to me, anyway. But if there's a nickname you prefer, I can use that, instead," she told her, not hearing the enthusiasm she'd been hoping for in response to the name she'd made up on the spot. She hoped it hadn't made the other wolf uneasy, by Cas assuming familiarity so quickly. "You've got to let me know if I make you uncomfortable. I've been told I'm a little... much," she admitted with a sheepish grin. "I like to talk - to make friends. I just sometimes talk too much, or make friends a little too quickly." It was true - Cas considered other wolves friends upon first meetings, most of the time.

"Well, I wasn't told we had a new member, or I would've tried to find you," she told the larger woman with a smile and a tilt of her head. Then Kuwindwa's brow creased, and Cas' followed, suit. "If there's anything I can do to help you get settled in with the pack, let me know, okay?" she asked, reaching up in an attempt to touch her nose to her companion's cheek again. "I know you might be feeling worried, or out of place, and that's okay. If you'd like, you can tell me what made your face scrunch up like that," she offered genuinely. "I'll do whatever I can to fix the issue."

Was Larkspur usually a dick? "Yes," she replied simply, flicking her ears backward momentarily. "At least, he is to me, anyway. I don't know what I've done to upset him, but no matter what I do, he still dislikes me." She shook her fur out. "But enough about that. If he hasn't been mean to you, it doesn't matter." Blue eyes illuminated with a spark of tease as she tried to make eye contact with the older woman. "You didn't answer my first questions."
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Cas. Is. Adorable. xD I pretty much have been squeeing. All the time.

"I'm definitely going to try! I want to do my absolute best for everyone here, and I want the pack to run as smoothly as possible..." Castel's enthusiasm was enough to prompt a slow sway from Kuwindwa's tail. It kept a steady rhythm until the younger woman seemed to backpedal. Kuwindwa never was the sort to emote much unless she was feeling in the extreme ends of the emotional spectrum, and she appeared to feel even less after her journey began.

"...if there's a nickname you prefer, I can use that, instead," Cas was saying, and maybe Kuwindwa had something to say, or maybe not – Cas was still going. Kuwindwa did not interrupt.

Cas seemed... different. This talkative, wispy wolf was open and unburdened, like Sahalie. No, maybe unburdened was the wrong word – Kuwindwa had yet to learn their stories – but they were free. They were young. Full of joy, life, vigor. Still stupid enough to try... The warrior never realized how old she had become. How old, cynical, and bitter. It was a lifetime ago when she could smile easily, and she, though young, had worked hard for her own pack. She had been so earnest back then too, like Castel. Maybe less chatty. But she had been a kinder wolf. Wawindaji is dead. She remembered the flash of fangs and accusing glares. Castel touched her cheek again and Kuwindwa was back in the present, blinking owlishly as the leggy wolf continued.

When Castel's cascade of outspoken thoughts and intentions seemed to disperse and left the answer to Kuwindwa's query the only thing wanting, the warrior chuckled softly. "You do talk a lot," the newly-nicknamed Windy agreed, albeit amiably. She'd spent a year alone and felt like this one wolf was making up for all the silence. "But it's nice. You're very kind, thank you Cas." If Kuwindwa had any problems she very much doubted Castel could help. Or anyone in Quaking Vale, for that matter. She felt her skin crawl. What if she was followed here? Circles. Going in Circles... That was what the man had said. Larkspur had snapped something, broke through... something. No more circles.

"Oh! Right, pardon me," she'd been distracted by the whole Larkspur-is-a-dick thing. "I'm-" she remembered the first sleepless night, how her skin crawled with worry, how she needed to find her place "-settling in fine, I think. I traveled alone for a long time. I need to find the rhythm of these woods and find my step again." Time to join in the dance. She hoped that answer would suffice, that the sway of her tail was enough. "You want the pack to run smoothly. I want that as well, and I must find where to begin again." Kuwindwa paused, her head tilting slightly as she regarded Castel. "You are young, and running a pack smoothly is difficult. You outrank me, but I reciprocate your offer: if I can help in any way I will." She still didn't quite get the whole "sanctuary" thing, but she'd be damned if she didn't try.
Inactive Deceased
Castel Lyall-Noor
I did not expect this to go so nicely <3

Kuwindwa was quiet for most of the time during Cas' speeches, which reminded the little wolf of Niles. So, when the older woman did speak, the youth just sat politely and listened, blue eyes alert and ears angled forward. She smiled with the compliment and dipped her head in appreciation, but remained silent as she studied the large wolf's mannerisms and movements while she spoke. There wasn't enough joy or happiness in the woman's expression for the colorful wolf's preference, and she made a mental note to try and help with that at some point. Sometimes just having a friend around made one feel better.

Cas didn't mind being a friend.

Not to mention, Cas had never been close with any older women before. She'd never had the experience of a mother, or anything like a motherly figure, and perhaps this woman would show her what it was like. It wasn't that she was expecting nurture or anything of the sort, but maybe knowledge, wisdom, and advice? Things that went hand-in-hand with age and experience, and Castel could never hope to grow to be Windy's age. It just wasn't in the cards for her. So, she'd pay attention to the older woman carefully; learn as much as she could.

The silvery she-wolf finished speaking, and Cas was quick to reply. "I'm glad you're settling in well," she began, her tail wagging lightly behind her. "If you ever need anything at all, feel free to come to me. Alastor and Sahalie are busy with leading the pack, and I want to help them all that I can. So, that includes doing the behind-the-scenes work and helping new members." She smiled brightly. "Besides that, I just really want to get to know you, Windy. No one was ever hurt from making a good friend."

The yearling stepped forward then and in an attempt to brush her flank along Kuwindwa's, hoping she wasn't making the new wolf uncomfortable. "How about we go get you something to eat, yeah?" she offered, eyes seeking out the larger woman's gaze. "Then, I'll take you to the communal den and you can get some rest. Does that sound good?" The last question was genuine. If the wolf didn't want to go with the beta, then she certainly could refuse the offer.
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Castel was earnest in her response. It was this youthful aura that masked the frail wolf's appearance; Kuwindwa could almost forget how just a few minutes ago she had seen all legs and a mess of fur that didn't seem to fit right over Castel's bones. Then there were those coruscant blue eyes. They seemed to believe all was right and whole, to believe that friends could be made with just a few words. Yes, Castel wore them well. She was young, altogether foolish, and every bit worth defending, decided Kuwindwa. Where once the warrior had guarded physically (and she would do that as surely as ever) she could see where she might also protect such young wolves from the cruelty of a world that had scarred her on the inside.

"Yes," agreed Kuwindwa, "Our leaders are young. Very young. It means they will have to work that much harder." When she first saw Sahalie and Alastor her jaw nearly dropped. She didn't think she had gawked at them too much, but she certainly had a hard time thinking of these yearlings – barely out of puppyhood in her eyes – as capable leaders. "Still, they deserve a fair chance," said the woman decisively. Maybe, if they trusted her, if they trusted Larkspur – their elders – they could guide the young wolves without necessarily taking over. Wind hardly considered herself a leader. Didn't really want to be one. But her strength could bolster these young wolves, and by extension the pack of Quaking Vale.

"Besides that, I just really want to get to know you, Windy. No one was ever hurt from making a good friend."

Kuwindwa's mask slipped and she gaped at the young lady, touched by her words. She slipped the façade back into place however as she remembered her own naivety – she was blind and stupid, betrayed in believing another wolf might be so well-meaning. Kuwindwa iced over, and suddenly the brushing of flanks didn't feel so welcome. The giant woman didn't move away, but her expression was distant as she dipped her head lightly at Castel. She didn't feel particularly hungry before, and less so now. Still, it was hardly the fault of this little wolf Kuwindwa had been damaged so, and it was only a few days ago Kuwindwa questioned exactly where her next meal would come from... the memory of falling in the Red Fern Forest and limping for days, unable to hunt... her smile was a little more forced this time as she nodded, "Lead the way."

Wind couldn't let herself linger in the dark as she had been. She spoke as she moved to follow her new... friend. "How did you meet Alastor and Sahalie?" If they were going to be friends, then... might as well make it official and at least try to stop being so backward. It had always been accidental before – the aloofness – she was always just busy. Maybe that was another reason she had been blind – maybe that really was all her fault.
Inactive Deceased
Castel Lyall-Noor
I am a horrible person for forgetting to reply to this ;.;

Cas had already decided she liked Kuwindwa from almost the moment they met - that was just how things worked with the russet-flecked female. She either liked or disliked pretty much on sight, and she'd firmly decided that the massive wolf before her was one of the good ones - one of the wolves she would befriend. In truth, Cas hardly ever found wolves she disliked - there had been one or two that she'd argued with, but mostly, she enjoyed conversing with just about anyone. It was a completely childlike view of the world, but Cas had never been accused of having an abundance of maturity - or even sense.

"Hell, yeah, they deserve a chance!" Cas told her enthusiastically, a grin spread across her face. "To be honest, I don't really get the whole ambition thing. I don't think I'd do well as a leader. Not really my thing." And it really wasn't. Cas didn't want to be the one calling the shots and telling everyone what to do. "But Al and Hal, they seem to be pretty good at it. I don't think youth has much to do with it, but that could just be because I'm the youngest one out of all of us." A little snicker escaped her. "I've never really been the smartest, either."

Which was true, but she was sensitive. She noticed immediately when the older wolf's mood dropped and froze over. It felt like a sudden divide had stretched out between them, leaving Cas wondering what she'd done to cause such a rift. Things had been going so well...

It was the silver-dusted little female that stepped back, scrutinizing her companion carefully until Kuwindwa dipped her head and told her to lead the way. Which, of course, Cas was more than willing to do. She offered a wag of her tail and nodded before beginning to head off in the direction of the nearest cache. She wasn't really intending to speak again unless the woman offered to first, which she did.

The silver-brushed female laughed a bit a the question. "Long story short, I met Alastor first and we hit it off pretty well. We met up for two days in a row, and I guess Sahalie got jealous and wanted to meet me. So, the three of us ended up having this awkward conversation that ended with her telling me that I should join their pack - that I wasn't sure was actually happening or not." She smiled slightly. "Looks like they both had the drive for it, though, because here we are." She swept her tail around to indicate the trees and grasses that now belonged to them. "It's weird to think that just a few months ago, I'd never even been here at all."

A soft sigh exhaled through her nose, and she wagged her tail as they approached the food. She selected a small rabbit for herself - she was still getting used to actually eating again, and she didn't want to overdo it.