I Was Just Guessing — Umbra Copse 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ranico who has 60 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Kuwindwa Mapinago
Sunny
62º F, 16 º C
Midday

Sun filtered through the tree limbs, highlighting small buds—the promise of spring. Today was warmer than it had been lately and the air was remarkably clear this afternoon, but alas the lack of fog did not make up for the density of the vegetation: visibility was as low as it had ever been in the copse, and only getting lower as the month continued.

Kuwindwa was getting used to the nature of these foreboding woods; the broad, dark trees and the way the wind whistled through them were becoming steadfast companions for the woman. However, she had yet to claim any love of the place. She missed the meadows of her old home, the open woodlands she had run through unhindered—none of the this foliage-so-thick-you-can-barely-pass nonsense. There had been swaying grasses and wildflowers, beautiful falls of water... a twig poking her nose (and prompting a soft snort) brought Kuwindwa back to the present as she continued on her patrol.

Small twigs scraped at her fur, tickling as she padded forward. The woman paused to mark the borders before continuing further from the Vale. She hadn't seen many wolves since her arrival here. It was almost a relief to know the pack was so isolated as not to receive frequent visitors, yet she never failed to venture once every few days to check the borders and strengthen them. It was never bad to protect against potential incursions. While Kuwindwa could not be certain if her young alphas even had enemies at this age, one could never be too safe. There was no such thing.

The silvery woman paused when she reached a clearing. Maybe it was time for a short break... not that she was tired, but sometimes it did her well to be utterly alone again, close her eyes, and pretend nothing had ever gone wrong and she had never run, far, far away. Then again, maybe staying busy would be better. Giving her coat a quick shake to free it of leaf matter, Kuwindwa trotted forward once more, eyes peeled for any signs of trouble.
(This post was last modified: May 18, 2017, 01:26 AM by Kuwindwa.)
Played by Hero who has 217 posts.
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
@Kuwindwa Can we forward this until today? Only cause it makes a little bit more sense for Rory's timeline. If not, its okay!

i don't even know if i believe
Aurora Thane

It seemed that the young woman was a magnet for company. Her desire for company would often come with a price, and it seemed her encounters were becoming more and more dangerous with the approach of warm weather; perhaps it was the abundant prey. She tracked small prey constantly, remembering their hiding places and the various underbrush they favored in hopes to catch something easy enough to kill with one bite.

Her usual suspects were mice and small rabbits, the occasional injured bird was her favorite treat, but most of the time she came up empty handed and hungrier.Though she had yet to outright partake in purloining, the thought had crossed her mind a time or two. So too had @Askan and his mention of joining his pack but she was stubborn and felt she was faring much better alone.

A rustling sound made her pause, her jaws clenched shut tight as she listened with perked ears, then carefully sniffed the air to decipher where and what was approaching her this time. Unfortunately for her, it wasn't prey. The musk of wolf practically knocked her back a moment as she watched the tall, intimidating figure clear the entrance. From scent alone she could tell the wolf was female, hardly had she met someone as looming as Kuwindwa but her coloring is what intrigued her most.

The woman was beautiful, and Rory couldn't help staring longer than she needed while the woman seemed to take a moment to take in the scenery, cleaning her coat of debris, before moving on. Her first thought was to remain silent, perhaps the woman would continue on without noticing her but something tugged at the back of her head and without noticing it she moved, startling herself in the process. "Shit," she cursed herself knowing that an encounter was inevitable.

(This post was last modified: May 20, 2017, 05:44 AM by Rory.)
Graphics by Arya and Becuffin!

Kuwindwa Mapinago
That's 100% a-okay! May 19th it is!

It was ultimately for the better she pressed on, did the duties she placed upon her own shoulders. Distraction was good and she was about to get a whole heap more of it. She strode boldly through the clearing, paused again only momentarily as she entertained one last thought of stopping and then–

A rustle.
A whispered expletive.

At least, that's what she thought she heard. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was just the leaves being more talkative and she was finally going utterly, batshit insane.

Pfft. Yeah. Right. The warrior stiffened, ears pressing forward to catch even the smallest traces of sound. Those bronze eyes blazed as they sought a face, a pelt, anything to indicate an incursion. She could feel eyes singeing her coat, burning and prickling her pelt. After so long patrolling without incident, this was exciting, albeit in the back of her mind that same old fear roiled and rolled: have they found me?

When she found the discrepancy between foliage and fur, Kuwindwa lifted her head and tail. She couldn't see much of the wolf, just some milky white. @Larkspur? Could he have returned? No, she smelled female. Did not smell like aspen and moss. And she was smaller, at least as far as Kuwindwa could tell through the underbrush.

"Who are you?" The question was simple, neither accusing or cold, but nevertheless it demanded an answer, an explanation.
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
@Kuwindwa thanks!

Aurora Thane

A momentary pause expanded between them and for a moment Rory considered running. The fact that the wolf was larger and more intimidating kept her at her spot, studying the wolf until the question she'd been waiting for reached her ears. Kuwindwa asked who she was and the woman hesitated telling her the truth, there was no immediate harm for being in the same area as the silver female but something about her question made her contemplate her answer and Rory thought to start off on a good foot with the stranger instead.

"I'm Rory...you?" she asked, her question in return was riddled with curiosity. Something about this woman intrigued her, regardless of how strange this encounter could and most likely would become, the woman's beauty made her approach closer with interest. Her eyes, though hardly unique, were a nice contrast against her pale coat and her voice was nicer than those she'd encountered on these lands before, perhaps if this meeting went well the two could develop a bond. "I didn't mean to startle you, I mean, did I startle you?" she was feeling strange again but not in the same way she'd felt countless times before, this one felt different in a sense that she couldn't tell what was happening but apart of her embraced it. "Do you live around here? she asked finally, words finally finding a reason to cease.

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Kuwindwa Mapinago
The pale wolf before Kuwindwa seemed to hesitate at the question. It was a simple enough query... why the hesitation? The pause was enough to arouse suspicion, though the warrior did not budge from her present stance, even when a name was presented and the other female took a few steps closer. Curiosity was alight in those pale yellow eyes, and Kuwindwa could see it clearly.

Startle me...? Kuwindwa gave a sharp shake of her head. Startle was a strong word for it... "You are merely unexpected," said the silvered woman, one ear flicking as she considered Rory's further question. Who are you? What do you want...? Would they send a pale assassin after her? Any wolf that might pursue Kuwindwa would surely lose the scent of the Pack by now... this lady could be anyone. The old paranoia clawed at the back of Kuwindwa's mind, making her exceptionally cautious. Still, if this wolf were some assassin, Kuwindwa was already found and there was no denying the marked similarity of her scent and that of her pack's. There was no point in hiding, fleeing, only the need to defend the wolves she had taken under her care.

"I do. I patrol here frequently for my pack, Quaking Vale. I am Kuwindwa Mapinago." She studied the young wolf's face for any indication of recognition. She was unlikely to find it there, nevertheless old habits die hard and for the present moment Wind had forgotten she was trying to avoid the circular thinking that had kept her running before now. Kuwindwa's posture eased slightly as she recognized the other wolf wasn't a likely threat. Even so, she wasn't about to relax completely yet. The other woman was younger, her questions curious and ongoing, and Wind didn't know exactly what to make of it yet. "What brings you to these woods, Rory?"
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
I like @Kuwindwa she's an interesting character! :D

Aurora Thane

She noticed the dryness of her throat and licked her lips in an attempt to moisten them but the wetness dried almost immediately, leaving her mouth drier than it was before. She was nervous, but why? Perhaps it was the constant strange meetings she'd been having as a late, most of them she had been fortunate enough to leave unscathed though the potential for harm stuck as a reminder of what could happen. She was a proud loner, and yet she was no fool to assume that she was completely safe from danger. Everyone was a potential enemy.

Her ear flicked backward in response to Kuwindwa's words, the woman corrected her in the slightest of ways and for a moment Rory found herself contemplating her words more wisely, this woman was strong willed and it was evident in everything about her. "As were you," she spoke, knowing that a meeting with someone was inevitable but unexpected all the same, she had thought to be alone this far out. When she learned that the woman frequented the area she made a mental note just in case she ventured back again. Perhaps, she'd run into the patrolling woman once more. "Are you their guardian?" she asked, internalizing the woman's name but never using it. The foreignness of it would seem too complicated on her tongue but it was fitting of a woman so intriguing...

She heard movement in the distance and her gaze landed on the lone figure of a deer that had been separated from its herd, it was the perfect opportunity for a hunt but taking something down that large would require more than a set of jaws, perhaps she could persuade the woman's help. "I was actually in search of food." she answered the woman's question finally, the soft rumble in her stomach set her ears backward. She was always hungry, her appetite never satisfied, and in one fluid movement after speaking her head lifted to sniff at the wafting scent of the nearby deer, it was probably weak from injury, a perfect target for two adult wolves.

(This post was last modified: Jun 01, 2017, 05:32 AM by Rory.)

Kuwindwa Mapinago
Thanks! I'm enjoying Rory also. They could have quite an interesting dynamic. :D I swear Wind isn't always paranoid but WHEN SHE IS GOSH.

The nervous flash of pink tongue, the flick of an ear... a shy loner or an assassin caught off guard? No. That couldn't be it—this wolf was too open, too nervous, her intentions too obvious to be a well-trained assassin. Unless... could that be the ruse? No wolf before Rory had been a threat. It was always in Wind's head. The silver woman felt crazy for it sometimes, but there was a small voice constantly telling her the moment her guard was totally down she would be finished. She didn't want to die, however difficult her life had been, however sad she felt. She was tired of fighting.

Her head canted subtly when Rory acknowledged their unanticipated meeting. These meetings had been more frequent as of late for Kuwindwa—remaining stationary and becoming familiar with a location beyond her old home likely had much to do with the feeling she was meeting more new wolves than she ever had before. The warrior's gaze never wavered from the other wolf's figure even when the warrior straightened again and confirmed her position. It may not have been official, but Kuwindwa saw herself as their guardian, their unspoken defender, regardless of whether it was announced to others in the pack. She could still do the job without her leaders officially naming her such. Rory didn't need to know that. "Yes, I am."

A distant shifting of underbrush and Kuwindwa's head turned, owlish gaze finally focusing on something more than burning holes in Rory's pelt. Through the foliage she could make out the figure of a deer, young and alone. When Rory spoke, Kuwindwa's gaze returned to the creamy woman. Her mask was carefully in place, though her suspicions remained. Rory sounded genuine enough, and a gurgle that could only be the other woman's stomach all but confirmed the truth in the younger woman's statement. Kuwindwa's lips curved—a small smile that her eyes didn't reciprocate. Her gaze shifted a second time to the retreating animal. It was swiftly disappearing, and any pursuit would have to be preceded by a little tracking and a more ideal position. "Then you're in luck," Wind stated. She could see the hopeful, interested arch of Rory's neck from the corner of her eye. The deer was too big for one wolf, and injured or no, too big a risk for a lone wolf like Rory.

The likelihood that Rory was some assassin was growing less and less as the older woman observed the young female. Her tail finally eased, dropping to her hocks as she turned to face their potential quarry. "Come. Together we can bring it down," said Kuwindwa. For the firmness of the command in her voice, there was something vaguely kind. She saw no point in asking if Rory was interested—the signs she was were all there. Wind did not care if offense was taken. Without her, Rory was unlikely to succeed.
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Aurora Thanne
I'm sure they could! Her paranoia is what makes her so interesting ;D I'm sure Rory will catch on to it eventually lol

Aurora Thane

All the while that Kuwindwa reconsidered where Rory had come from and what she wanted from her, the young woman's attention switched between the lingering prey and ways that she could convince her company to accompany her for a hunt; the woman would fair to be quite the helper. Though Rory's actually physique laid between medium and large, Kuwindwa's bulky stature could not be mistaken for anything but large and imposing, she looked to be a powerhouse of muscle beneath her grey and silver coat-- just what was needed to bring down their meal.

Her response was lost in the wind, but had the woman been paying attention she wouldn't have second guessed that Kuwindwa was her packs guardian, she fit the job description and her personality fit fairly well. The woman was quiet, probably calculating a million thoughts in her head during this meeting, giving a short response when Rory made mention of her hunger, it seemed that her heavy persuasion was not needed. "I like to think I'm just at the right place at the right time," she answered, her head lowering ever so slowly when the prey began to head in the opposite direction.

Most likely a chase was in order, or expert tracking until exhaustion. She preferred the former...

The young woman didn't hesitate in following Kuwindwa upon her request, in fact, she'd hoped the woman would take control of the situation so that she didn't have to think about anything more than the sweet taste of blood and meat on her tongue. In an effort to help, she lowered her nose to the ground to find the scent of the deer once their feet were in pursue, it was no secret that remaining a loner kept her senses sharp and highly sensitive. The stench lingered beneath the trunks of low hanging trees and against the belly of thick bushes before wafting strong within an expanse of open land that made her pause in her footsteps, yellow eyes searched for any sign of the deer and when she found none she relied on scent alone once more.

Although she couldn't visible see the creature, she knew it hadn't gone far, "I think it went this way..." she spoke to the older woman, head turning toward Kuwindwa expecting the woman to confirm her guess. The scent was strong and yet accompanying it was the stale scent of rabbit, skunk, porcupine, and others. Once she found their target she continued with hot pursuit, slowing ever so slightly so that once they were within range of the deer the older woman could take over. Though she was anxious to find the deer, she hadn't a clue as to the best way to tackle it once they were within range.

Kuwindwa Mapinago
The younger wolf followed with scarcely any hesitation and her nose was already to the ground. Good, Kuwindwa noted with a flick of her ear before she adopted much the same posture to ascertain direction. Having had the animal in sight but a minute ago made the task much easier. The small signs—twigs snapped and branches bent—were visible along with the indentations of hoof-prints where the soil was moist enough under the leaf litter.

Kuwindwa was a practiced hunter, her pawsteps careful as she avoided anything that would make too much noise. She only paused when @Rory spoke. Double-checking the scent, the woman gave a sharp nod of her head. The brush of movement ahead prompted her head to lift, ears rotating to listen carefully. They weren't too far out, but running at full-tilt was nigh impossible in this dense forest. Even with their quarry injured, they would have to use more clever means than just rushing their prey from behind. Turning to her hunting companion and glancing at her fleeter frame, Kuwindwa spoke lowly, "It will be best if we do not alarm it. These woods are tight and it will struggle to run through them easily—as will we," plus the deer could leap higher than either of them if it wanted, unless injury prevented, "If we can form a pincer and flank it, take it by surprise, we will stand a better chance. Try to run it toward me." Kuwindwa paused, waiting for a response from the other woman before heading out.