260 Users Online
Google, Bing

it's a long road to wisdom — Empress Riffle 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Switch who has 389 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall
It's in the eyes I can tell you will always be danger

Eyes traced along the few flowers clinging to the trees. They didn't quite want to join the rest. It would only take one strong winter storm, and they'd be gone. Something he wished wouldn't happen for a few more weeks. He wouldn't be able to rest well while his children were still on their way.

A single ear turned, the flow of water evident. Never being in this area, he decided to find it. He wasn't disappointed. There was stretch of clearing, lined with a few rows of charred trees. The water itself wasn't deep here, but shallow, a number of rocks sticking here and there. Reminding him of Renegade's reach. But, he didn't want to think about that place. Into the creek he moved, checking for fish. He had gotten better in his time away.

Played by Hero who has 40 posts.
Inactive V. Subordinate
Deadlock Soule
The sound of flowing water had brought him here. The low crash of soft lapping waves tightened the grip of thirst along his throat as he made his way toward Empress Riffle, eager for the opportunity to stop for a drink and scope out the plenty of fish that remained given the cold weather. Since entering these lands he found plenty of picked over carcasses and had helped himself to some along the way but today he fancied a batch of fresh fish, and given his thick paws, he was sure to catch enough to satisfy his bear sized hunger.

He wasn't surprised in the least that another wolf had made their way to this plot of land, and from scent alone he could tell that this wolf was a loner like himself. Given the level hierarchy, he approached the wolf with his tail half raised and hackles bristled, just in case the wolf thought that scaring him off would be an option. Today, they would be sharing hunting ground. He approached the water with caution, his eyes on Renier and the slow moving water at the same time and entered the water up to his elbows without making a sound, it was only after a few minutes that he thought to address his company. "Have you had any luck?" he asked, hoping that perhaps the wolf had caught at least one. He'd traveled a long ways in hopes of finding something to settle his groaning stomach.
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall

Patience was the key in any meal getting strategy. This he could accomplish alone. The crumpling of dead foliage brought his eyes up to see he wouldn't be doing so. Gold gaze scrutinized the loner in turn. See if he needed to act. He had a severely low tolerance for narcissistic assholes. But, he only seemed to want to do the same thing, and Renier said nothing. Mostly, his eyes turned back to the water. Hopefully, he wouldn't disturb the creek any more.

Maybe, the silence did bother this one. "One," he replied, though only his lips moved. He would like to get at least one more. The right opportunity presented itself. The one a little wider than the rest. He'd been waiting for him to want to rest in his shadow. Forcefully, his muzzle dipped into the creek, and his teeth snagged against its flesh. Silver,speckled scales writhed against the crushing force. Once, he had to half dip to keep it. He'd never liked the sensation of them smacking against his face, and jarring his jaws. Once blood thickened he tossed it next to the other, tucked up against some reeds. Really the stranger could steal them if he were desperate, and foolish.

"You any good at this?" He questioned, just trying to make small talk. He was not the charismatic one.

(This post was last modified: Dec 06, 2017, 09:17 PM by Renier.)
[Image: ps_sig_by_becuffin-dc2lwrc.png]
Inactive V. Subordinate
Deadlock Soule
Sorry for the wait!!!

Silence quickly followed and he searched the water with patience, the hairs along his back rose only when he felt that a fish was within reach and lowered when fear made them dart in the opposite direction. He wasn't the best at fishing --even considering the well equipped paws that mother nature had given him-- but he wouldn't allow that the deter him, not when he had an audience watching. Renier had caught one so far, which meant that the feat wasn't impossible, but merely a nuisance, which was evident in the way that the fish easily out maneuvered and outsmarted him. He was patient though, watching and waiting for the perfect opportunity and launched at a unsuspecting fish with outstretched webbed toes in hopes that this would be the catch he'd been waiting for. As luck would have it, the sound of flopping fish made his heart leap from his chest and he bound toward his kill without missing a beat.

Unlike his company, he couldn't wait to gather up a pile before feasting, he much rather have his fish fresh and without hesitation tore through the thick scales to rip at the pink flesh that glistened so quickly with blood. He savored the taste and when the meat was no longer, chewed a moment or two into the thick pointy bones of the head before tossing the fish into the water where he would return once more to attempt for another fish. "I could be better, a little rusty. You look like a seasoned professional though." he complimented the man, for small talk as well.
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall

Eventually, the loner caught one of his own. But, he must have had hungry pains to stave off. He gobbled it up, returning for another. Gold eyes landed on the man, there was a hint of a grin. "When ya live near the ocean you take what you can get." It was the likely reason he had any fishing skill.

Suddenly he realized the man's eyes didn't match. But, they weren't the color Renier was familiar with so he dismissed it.

"You just gotta hold still longer. Let them believe you don't move," he offered. He was pretty sure they were both loners at this point. It wasn't like every fish the guy caught was one less for him. If he'd been of the Ridge he'd try to get to know the man better. Maybe, he didn't need to be to do so. He could wish and want this to come natural, but it wouldn't do him one bit of good. "You plan on sticking around here?" He could at least see what he was up to, if anything.

(This post was last modified: Jan 09, 2018, 05:19 PM by Renier.)
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
There is a rabbit's nest nearby. +1 Health
Inactive V. Subordinate
Deadlock Soule
His head nodded in response to the male's words, taking them as they came but not really responding. He had never lived near the ocean and he couldn't imagine having only fish for survival but knew that this was a daily reality for some and respected it as such. He figured that he would grow bored of the swimming creatures quite quickly if that were a staple component of his meals and was thankful that he had the occasional deer or moose to mix it up some. "I think I'm getting the hang of this." he admitted in a hushed tone, remembering that the male had mentioned staying as still as possible to not scare them off. It was great advice and within minutes he caught his second.

He gobbled the second one as he did the first, licking his lips to rid what remained of the fish scales and returning to the water for yet another bountiful fish. He could say a thing or two about fishing that he rather enjoyed, the fish just kept on coming. "I'm not much for fishing, but it beats tiring down a deer or moose, any day." just thinking about the task made his muscles ache. His hunting was intervened by the question from his comrade and for Deadlock responded without much thought, "I'll probably stick around for as long as I can before moving on. Why, do you stick around here often?" he wondered now whether he would run into this man again or if this meeting would be the first and last he'd see of him.
(This post was last modified: Dec 11, 2017, 06:17 AM by Deadlock.)
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall

His company remained quiet. It didn't bother him in the least. They were fishing after all, and it was nice to meet someone else who didn't think the air needed to be filled with constant words. He merely tipped his head in agreement. For someone who didn't fish a lot, he was doing well.

In the meantime Renier managed to catch two more fish. It was then he found a place on the bank and tore into one. Swallowing it down, his attention fell back upon the loner. "No kidding." It was less dangerous too. But, he was more fond of the meat from antlered beasts. Their bones less annoying. It seemed like he didn't mind being asked. The Lyall licked his muzzle, giving himself a second to answer. "I use to, but right now I'm not exactly tied down. Just visiting old haunts with a ragtag group." There was a look of amusement, mentioning them. In his eyes, Morganna was his mate but he steered away from the term. They hadn't needed it to describe what was between them, and he could never imagine her changing her name. Then there was Cel and Maeve who he considered in the friend category.  He wanted to stick around just not here specifically. He was pretty sure Morganna wanted to do the same. She had no plans, but she was not one to be idle. "It's not a bad spot to keep to. There is a pack east of here, but they've never given me any trouble. Now, if you do go south I'd warn you to watch yourself with the one down there." It was a warning not just for his benefit, but the Ridge's as well. They didn't need any more trouble, and even though this guy didn't look like a dummy, he probably wouldn't exactly be welcomed to just hang around there like he was here.

(This post was last modified: Apr 05, 2018, 01:55 PM by Renier.)
Inactive V. Subordinate
Deadlock Soule
>.< sucky! @Renier

The older male agreed with him, as he expected him to. Wolves were built for the chase, they thrived off tiring down their kill until they could sink their teeth into flesh and tear skin from the body of their prey bit by bit regardless if they were still alive. The thought alone gave him chills and for a moment the meat of the fish he'd caught felt bland against his pallet but he didn't dare stop for fear of finding an easier meal. Fish definitely was listed in hierarchy of favorites, they sat just below his the various berries he would scavenge if and only if he couldn't chase down a sick deer or rabbit. Renier mentioned a ragtag group of wolves he was with and he paused just long enough to respond, clearly interested. "What did you do to deserve that? Sounds like my kind of party." he joked half-hardheartedly; the male had more company then Deadlock on his worst days and part of him wanted to ask if he could join him but doing so now, during a meal, could be taken the wrong way and he remained silent.

"Where are you guys heading, anywhere particular?" he asked before the male could give him advice of his own. He warned him of the southern group of wolves, making him curious about whether they were nearly as bad he had made them seem. "what's so bad about them?" he wondered, head cocking to the side. His fish had no longer become interesting.
(This post was last modified: Jan 21, 2018, 05:57 AM by Deadlock.)
Inactive No Rank
Renier Lyall
We just putter along xP If you want to post one more/fade up to you.

There as a quirk of his lips, amused by his choice of words. He shrugged his shoulders. "Not sure," he admitted  Renier would say he didn't deserve much, but he supposed he was lucky to do as he pleased and more so he didn't have to go alone any more. The younger man seemed interested. What were the odds?

"For the most part we stick to the lagoon in the west. You ever get sick of loner life you'd be welcomed." He seemed all right. The Lyall rolled his tongue over his lips, thinking how to frame his words. "Not bad. They are just protective of their lands, even beyond their borders." Hopefully that would suffice.

(This post was last modified: Apr 05, 2018, 02:12 PM by Renier.)