Ruins of Wildwood
Drooping Willows i am the man who grabs the sun - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore VI (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=144)
+---- Thread: Drooping Willows i am the man who grabs the sun (/showthread.php?tid=11300)

Pages: 1 2

i am the man who grabs the sun - Craw - Dec 13, 2015

Joining thread for @Wraith! We'll tag the leaders once they arrive and howl for the leaders :)
Wraith, let me know if you want anything changed <3

The last two days had given Craw no reason to change his mind about Wraith. Whatever distraction had led the black loner to blindly run into Craw appeared to have been a fluke, and the scarred beast was glad that he had not been too hasty with retaliating. Indeed, it almost made for an amusing tale, and Wraith had sinced apologised for it again - with both wolves in a rather more level-headed place. Craw had accepted it and dismissed it. Mistakes were undesirable, but more undesirable was a wolf who couldn't learn from them; despitekeeping a keen eye on his dark-furred companion, Craw didn't witness him running headfirst into anything, so there was that.

The first night, too, Craw had rested very, very lightly, the lingering paranoia in the back of his skull unable to let him fall unconscious in the presence of a northern stranger. But as they travelled, though much of it was in comfortable silence, they did skirt around the topic of their geographically close birthplaces. No matter how many names Craw casually slipped his way, Wraith reacted to none, and before long Craw decided to accept Wraith as outside of his own history. That put him at ease. It was the secondmost desirable situation, after all.

For his part, Wraith talked superficially of his family in the mountains and the great respect he had for his father. Craw was left to make all kinds of inferences about what had happened to drive Wraith south, but he never asked outright, sensing the pain hidden behind any mention of his pack. If there were truths to learn there which would affect Wraith's integrity, Craw would make it a point to find out - but not yet. There was plenty of time for that. Craw was already knee-deep in his own careful patience; he could exercise it here, too.

By the time the first willow trees appeared on the horizon, well into the afternoon of the second day, Craw was confident in his decision. With the time fast approaching for him to present his new recruit, the topic had changed to Willow Ridge, and what Craw had learned of it.

"No," he rumbled, rolling his shoulders to ease out the tension there before trotting on at Wraith's side. "The mother established the pack years ago; the daughter is just a stand-in due to injury. Though Elettra is aging, so I think it would be a mistake for her to try and retake leadership at this point - her time is done. Morganna is proving capable. I think she will be pleased with you."

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Wraith - Dec 13, 2015

OOC: Nope! Looks great. <3 I'm excited!

Unlike his companion, Wraith had slept soundly for the first time since he left his old life behind. While the nightmares persisted, they were diluted in comparison and didn't leave him panting and anxious throughout the night. They were mostly of old memories, lingering and sweet before the cruel reminder that those times would never be again. Still, the good meal and the security that came with having another at his back made for a short, restful night of which he desperately had needed.

He was grateful that Craw wasn't a heavy conversationalist. The pair often walked in companionable silence without the need to fill the silence between them with needless chatter. They hunted small game as it came across them without a driving need to actively seek it out. Gorging on the deer before leaving had suited their needs quite well for the long journey.

As they went along, the dark male would often choose higher ground to survey in all directions, hoping to get a better lay of the land. The pair kept the base of a long mountain range to their right as the journeyed south and Wraith loved having it close. It was a gentle reminder of home that didn't bring up the guilt associated with it.

The male hummed, considering what Craw shared. "You respect her," he observed. It was good to know it existed among the ranks. A pack could not function well with dissension. There had to be mutual trust even for something as simple as a hunt to have a chance at success. "You're more than capable yourself. I trust your judgement."

The closer they drew to their final destination, Wraith found himself struggling with the slightest hint of nervousness. There was always that chance that he would be deemed unacceptable and, at best, turned away. At worst? Chased off with injuries to remember the pack by, no doubt. But Craw was right. He was hardly a weakling and was of sound body and mind (most times). Despite telling himself these things, his flanks quivered every so often.

"Are there...other packs nearby. Ah, competition, I guess?" His own sheltered life high in the mountains had negated any potential rivalries his pack would have faced. "How is that generally handled if there are trespassers?" They were semantics, really. But Wraith would rather have words now to fill the space to keep himself calm.

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Craw - Dec 14, 2015

So considering that I forgot WR was full, I'm assuming this is roughly how this thread should go (so that we can keep timelines straight for threads dated after this one): Craw and Wraith approach, call for Morg, WR is full and Wraith ends up lurking around the borders waiting to see if room is made. Craw's not gonna be a happy bunny with this but oh well c:

Yes, Craw supposed he did respect her. He admired her ambition, her drive, but was concerned that Morganna's ascension had been too abrupt, too unplanned; she hadn't earned it, hadn't fought for it, and even though he knew Elettra little, Craw suspected that the woman would try to reclaim the position she had held for years, that she had built from nothing. The Archers all shared a strong spirit, a determination - though they all channelled it differently, from Elettra's cool, level-headed demeanour to her son's barely contained ferocity. It had been too quick to judge whether or not Craw much liked Angier, but he certainly was uneasy about having Morganna's unstable brother in the most dominant position.

An ear flicked towards Wraith as he asked of rivalries, and Craw snorted. "This is a verdant part of the world; many have settled here. The Ridge has been around for several years, and that brings with it politics. There are two packs in the forests to the north, the cedarwoods we passed yesterday; Secret Woodlands is an ally, the other an old enemy - Grizzly Hollow. There was another allied pack closer to the willows, but they were too weak to endure and scattered earlier in the year; I don't know what happened to them. There are groups to the east, too, on the mountains and beyond, though we have not had many interactions with them." Craw himself had no first-hand experience of any of these relationships past what Morganna and some of the other willow wolves had told him, but he had made sure to learn as much as possible; it was uncomfortable being this politically blind, for all the names and places were foreign to him. The Uroi and Emoi, the Vendetta and the Yypersutts, they were all far away, all his carefully built-up knowledge of rivals and traitors and worms and who was and who wasn't full of bullshit - all irrelevant in this landscape. Craw was having to start from scratch in so very many ways.

"As for trespassers," he continued, with a flash of teeth, "they're dealt with. Depending on the wolf and where they are from, how many there are, attack on sight or run off. Call for support if necessary." From what Wraith had told him of his homeland, Craw was aware that they had had limited interaction with outsiders. However did they bolster their numbers upon death? Did they rely solely upon reproduction? Having come from two highly barren parents, who had viciously disallowed any of their more fertile members to breed, such a reliance on offspring as pack numbers was quite alien. Indeed, Craw was at this moment exercising the only way he knew how to build a family.

Glancing at Wraith, Craw chuffed at him in rough encouragement. "This is foreign to you, I know. I will guide you if you wish. Stay by my side and we are both stronger for it."

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Wraith - Dec 14, 2015

OOC: Yep, that's the plan! Maybe by the time there's an opening, he'll have made a few allies for the pack too! ;3

Despite the strangeness of it all, the politics weren't a hard concept to grasp. Wolves fought, grudges settled. Back home, any cross feelings were generally settled out then and there under his father's watchful eye. Chief's ruling was law and none of his family had ever thought to cross him or disobey something of great importance. There were the occasional rebellious acts of the yearlings, but nothing detrimental to the pack. Thankfully, all had striven for his parents' approval, himself included. Disappointing the Alphas was a heart-wrenching process that all avoided when possible.

Wraith thought of the weak, dispersed pack that Craw mentioned with sadness. Even in such a lively place as Relic Lore, there were downfalls and families weren't always strong enough. The black male considered himself lucky then to have come from a pack of such unity.

Running off trespassers made sense here, he supposed. With so many packs living in the area, it seemed unavoidable that there would be some competition and defense required to maintain the safety of the den as well as the resources available. Back in the mountains, Wraith felt sure his father would have allowed that loner female to remain with the pack should she have chosen even if for nothing more than to try to encourage one of his sons to mate with her. It was starting to become pushed on Wraith himself. To find a mate if he could, bring her back for the family, or start a life on his own. Not that Chief had wanted his son to leave, but the male knew his father always had his family's best interests at heart.

"I appreciate all of your help, Craw. You're a good wolf and, sad as it is, the first friend I've had that hasn't been related in some way. It's nice to know blood doesn't necessitate a strong bond. Even if I do not gain your pack's approval, I would like to remain friends if possible."

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Craw - Dec 14, 2015

The words of support, gratitude, and respect coursed through Craw as though he were a lifelonger smoker who hadn't gotten a hit in months. Finally someone with a little admiration, a little appreciation, a little understanding of who they were dealing with. And Wraith had been fortunate enough to get on his good side, and oh was he just. Perhaps a touch sentimental and naive, but neither were necessarily bad things; sentimentality kept wolves together, built bridges and relationships and made them sturdy. Craw had made an art out of fostering it. It had taken a long time to get back into shape, but he felt good things were on the horizon.

"Of course,"
he said, low and honest, pausing in his strides for a moment to meet Wraith's eyes. "I do not offer my friendship lightly. I see greatness in you, Wraith, in what we can forge together. The Ridge would be a fool to turn you away - but if they do, do not think that I will. So long as you desire it, I will work to make sure there is space for you alongside me. My allies are my utmost priority."

He meant every word. Just because he had deeper motivations and dreams of bloody revenge and wasn't really the 'buddy buddy type' did not make him false; one day, if Wraith continued to prove himself to Craw, if the trust grew and Craw could come to believe that the dark man could truly be a longterm ally, then he would learn more. He would learn everything. While Craw wasn't entirely capable of making friends in the common, sentimental sense, he was more than capable of building lasting bonds which were important to him. Craw knew he would need all the support he could get to take back what was rightfully his, and the seeds of that kind of support were planted in young relationships like these.

Stepping forward, he reached to touch his nose to Wraith's cheek, to make physical the connection Craw so desperately wanted to foster. "Come on, my friend," he rasped quietly, and set into an easy lope down the hill towards the willows.

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Dec 14, 2015

There is a moose carcass that has been scavenged by coyotes nearby. +15 Health

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Wraith - Dec 15, 2015

Perhaps it was simply his upbringing, but Wraith already thought of Craw as a brother. The black wolf found making bonds an easy process, though he supposed it was different considering those other bonds were familial. But the pale-furred male fit so easily in his life. It wasn't that the wolf filled a hole where something was missing. Rather, he added something to continue to forge a strong foundation. Such a seamless process was not one to take lightly. Wraith knew that if there was some danger to befall the wolf, he'd throw caution to the wind in a heartbeat to defend him.

It was nice to know he wasn't being silly, nice to know those feelings of brotherhood were echoed in his friend. Ah, and wasn't that a pleasant thought? Friend.

Smiling, Wraith joined Craw in a more relaxed trot. Regardless of what happened now, he at least had an ally out here. A spurt of childish mischief had the dark male nipping lightly at Craw's haunch while they ran before skipping just out of reach with a laugh. His pace slowed as the scent of pack became more clear. Wraith stopped himself before crossing the clearly marked boundary lines and looked to his friend. Well, it was now or never.

Wraith lifted his muzzle towards the sky and let loose a deep, strong howl as a request for the pack's presence. With that done, he looked to Craw with only a hint of nervousness. "Let's see how this goes, I guess."

OOC: @Morganna and...I guess any other members of Willow Ridge? Only discussed it with Morganna though, I think. x3

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Craw - Dec 15, 2015

Yeah, paging @Morganna - but any WR are welcome :)

It was going so well. Craw allowed the tight, delicious knot of victory to settle in his chest, thoughts drifting to his improved situation. While he had made tentative connections to others in the pack, Morganna most significantly, they were ties which belonged to the Ridge. Wraith belonged to him, and Craw would make sure that any loyalty fostered was towards himself. This is how it had started with his father, to whom Craw had brought many fresh recruits, and this is how it would continue - and how it would end. It would bring about his glorious redemption, one more trusted, capable body at a time.

By the time they came to the borders, though, something was wrong, something that niggled at Craw as they came to stop before it, Wraith stepped lightly into the territory. Craw grunted and jerked his head back, indicating that Wraith should steer clear of crossing into the pack's land until clearly invited. As Wraith called for attention, Craw tried to determine what was troubling him, lowering his head to the borders to sniff - and then it hit him. There was another male here, someone who had joined the pack in the last few days since Craw ventured north... another Lyall, by the smell of it. Craw bristled slightly, remembering Morganna casually mentioning how full the pack was getting, how they might have to start turning away the loner that came begging at their doorstep for a piece of their pie.

Grinding his teeth, Craw lifted his head after Wraith had finished, giving a short, sharp summons of his own, to lend credence to the call from a stranger. "No matter what, we endure this winter together," Craw muttered, attention twisting towards the heart of the territory, because you are mine.

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Morganna - Dec 18, 2015

#theworst - *throws spanners in all the works!* there is a space now :o

When the call went up summoning her, she had her head buried in the medicinal den Kiche had dug out of the side of the mountain with his own paws, the very same den in which she had been conceived (a fact unknown to the young woman, perhaps she would favour it less had she known). Elettra's injury and the onset of winter might have been putting a small dint in the main stores, but as of this moment this remained untouched. Tucked away, under the earth in a shadowy corner was what remained of Piety's ear and the scrap of marmot fur she had stolen away from @Skoll. Both would be of little consequence if they were accidentally unearthed by any but her brother, but for now they were safe, well masked by the scent of drying lavender and ginger.

Ryvet had pulled her aside to offer his apologies and inform her of his intent to leave, it was of little consequence to her where he spent the winter. It would seem after conveying his final gifts to @Elettra he had chosen instead to return to his sisters pack. Words would no doubt be spoken to @Renier before he finally went on his way but she was yet to hear of such herself. With a final critical glance, pleased with the current state of affairs she turned about and set off in the direction from which she had been summoned, slowing her steps when a dark pelted stranger came into sight, less concealed than the silvery wolf at his side.

Chin tucked and tail high Morganna cautiously stepped into sight, a quick dart of her eyes towards @Craw earning him a familiar grin, he stance relaxing minutely but still guarded. "Who might this be?" she asked, eyeing the stranger over and wondering if they had enough to bare yet another mouth to feed. She was growing cautious of the way their pack seemed to swell at the seams. 

RE: i am the man who grabs the sun - Wraith - Dec 18, 2015

When the dark female stepped into sight, Wraith automatically averted his gaze and lowered his head respectfully, though he did not cower. He had not been raised to fear an Alpha, merely respect them. If fear was something this Alpha ruled by, she would find herself sorely disappointed for Wraith didn't intimidate easily except by the ghosts in his head. Amber eyes flicked towards Craw momentarily for a reminder that he was not alone here and had support before they looked to Morganna's paws again.

His deep voice was soft as he answered for himself. "I'm Wraith Kael. I hail from far North of these lands. Craw and I happened upon each other in our travels. I want to request to join your ranks, if it pleases you," he rumbled politely. He thought it best to be forward with his intentions rather than dancing around with a suggestion until it sounded like her idea. The male had never been overly fond of manipulation and had no skill to speak of when it came to doing so. Honesty was a better tactic in almost every situation to Wraith's point of view.

Wraith glanced again to Craw, hoping the pale furred wolf would speak up with his endorsement. While he could offer a list of skills himself, it seemed to speak better if it were not him saying it.