Ruins of Wildwood
Turtleback Lake a dragon is just the son of man. - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore VIII (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=175)
+---- Thread: Turtleback Lake a dragon is just the son of man. (/showthread.php?tid=15725)

Pages: 1 2

a dragon is just the son of man. - Bennet - Sep 12, 2017

Open for one or two! 36F, cloudy. Early morning.

The morning was still young as Bennet dipped her head down to drink, savoring the cool water. Fish flitted by like shadows, the sun hidden behind a dark blanket of clouds – even still, they looked tasty, they looked like something for her empty belly, but the girl had no idea how to fish. No one had taught her before she’d parted ways with her parents, and the wolves in Ered Luin weren’t exactly the fishing kind. They were more the mountain goat kind.

Heh. They were more the scavenging kind, really, but that didn’t help her right now.

In the back of her mind, Kjors’ daughter knew her old stomping grounds weren’t far away – Hearthwood River was near the lake. But would Kyrios still be there? Or Lachesis? Would her mother have returned when she couldn’t find Bennet or her mate? Would they even want her back, after she’d been gone for so long?

Did she even want to go back after what they’d done to Kjors? If they hadn’t kicked him out, then-- The hair on the back of her neck bristled, heat rolling into her belly as the black wolf turned around, ears pressed against her skull.

“Who’s there?”

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Lachesis - Sep 12, 2017

screams

[dohtml]

It had been too long since the ghost had gone south, streaking through the trees and seeking the comfort of sand between his toes. Recent affairs had kept him tied to the Kingswood as he increased his patrols, chartreuse gaze constantly on the look out for the bandits in case they decided to (stupidly) return a second time. The children had begun their wandering phase, their clumsy paws constantly seeking out more than the redwoods that surrounded them. Keeping track of all five of them was near impossible—especially with Risaela already having a taste of the lands beyond their forest. He had already caught the raven’s daughter sneaking past the invisible line.

He sighed, heavy and low. He was getting old.

As he approached the lake he was greeted by the scent of another, his nose wrinkling at the fact of having company. He should have come earlier. Just as he was about to turn away to skit down the opposite side of the lake a voice called out, familiar but older sounding. Who’s there? He frowned, his peridots turning back to the dark figure at the shore. A frown cut deep into his lips, his heart pounding erratically within his chest.

It had been too long since he had seen that face last, but he still recognized her. Still remembered her.

“Bennet?”

Was her mother nearby? He frowned. Was she aware of what had happened to the one-eyed dragon—slain by a big cat, just like her grandmother had been only a month ago. Had his son found her? The questions hesitated on the tip of his tongue, not daring to tumble into the space between them. He did not know how she would react to seeing him. He was the one who had kicked out Kjors after all. 

[/dohtml]

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Bennet - Sep 12, 2017

Dear sweet Mother-- Fuck!

Of all the wolves to find her, how was it that Lachesis had materialized from the brush like a specter. If she was going to be haunted, Bennet would far prefer her father to appear, or maybe someone to tell her where Karina had gone. She stood stock still, hackles high over her shoulders and down her spine as she waited – this was the wolf who’d kicked Kjors out. This man, right here, alongside her own grandmother, had sent him away, had driven Karina and Bennet out in search after him, and if not for him-- If not for them

“Y’killed my Dad!” she choked, hating the hot tears prickling against her eyes. No! She was practically an adult, she wouldn’t weep like some damn maiden, certainly not in front of this man.

Her tail lashed behind her furiously as she took two steps back, oblivious to the fact that she was pedaling right into the cold lake. Ears laid against her head as she ground her teeth, fighting the hot swell of rage and hurt melting so deep in her chest. For so long, she ignored it – all it took was a white wolf to cut her open and let it spill across the surface. She felt like the deer on the ground, entrails spilled in the cold dirt as steam rose from its nose. She felt like the salmon with its dead eye staring back at her mother. “Y’here for me, too?”

She’d left Hearthwood River, after all – and not a word from her and Karina before they’d departed.

SCREAMFISH

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Sep 12, 2017

A lynx has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Lachesis - Sep 13, 2017

WOOOOOO 1000th POST !!!!!

[dohtml]

That had not been the reaction he’d been expecting.

Not only was he taken aback by the accusation, his large paws taking a few nimble steps backward as she yelled at him, but she had also called Kjors her dad. It was something he had always expected, tucked away in the dark crevices in his mind, never voiced aloud due to the fear of having the words shoved back down his throat. It made sense. The one-eyed dragon had doted heavily on the little shadow and seldom left the side of the older Baranski. He had taken his apprentice away from him and spewed nonsense into her head, causing Karina to isolate herself from both her family and pack. Once the dragon had been exiled the mother and her daughter had followed suit, further isolating themselves and chasing false fables.

He gave a sharp shake of his head, his ears swept back as he stared at her, dumbfounded. “I did not kill your father,” he retorted quickly, a frown cut deep into his pale maw. “He killed himself. Hearthwood was not his to take.” She wasn’t going to like what he said but the ghost did not care. He was just surprised to see her so close to Hearthwood. Why was she lurking about if she had no intention of visiting her old stomping grounds—or running into him?

He scoffed at her question, his tail lashing out behind him. “I don’t want you dead, Bennet,” he countered, his ears resurfacing from his crown as he angled his maw, brows pinched tight. “We were all devastated when you and your mother left. Without a word.

[/dohtml]

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Bennet - Sep 19, 2017

“No. He didn’.” Bennet choked on it, chest burning as her lungs struggled to work. Her father had done no such thing – he died nobly, defending her and her uncle from the cat. It would have eaten her, the youth was certain, and she had no such means, even now, even after the brief time she’d spent with the wolves of New Ered Luin. “He died – he was killed – protectin’ me.”

And that’s all there was to it.

The girl’s ears rolled further back, cold water lapping at her forelimbs as she stared uneasily at the ghost. Her discomfort was evident in her lashing tail, her posture neither submissive nor aggressive as she watched Lachesis for any sign. It was difficult to determine just what the youth was looking for, but she was most certainly looking. “Ma wondered off. And I followed.” Clearly, at that age, a puppy could not make her own decisions. “And then she wandered off again and I never found her, not after.”

Kjors had told them to run, and they did – but when the pair circled back, they found no sign of Karina. It was like she’d never existed at all. “Thought maybe she came back here…”

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Lachesis - Sep 20, 2017

[dohtml]

As soon as the outburst fell from his tongue the ghost regretted the words, but there was no taking them back. They had already spilled into the air between them, laced with venom, waiting for a response from the dragon before him. He should have known. Known that it had been Kjors to sire Karina’s only daughter. As soon as her eyes had changed, Lachesis should have been able to tell. It was not just her mind that he had poisoned. His ears swept back, his brows still narrowed darkly as he observed the dark girl, a protest fumbling off her own tongue. She was defending him; he was not surprised. His tail twitched in annoyance but his tongue remained still, his nose wrinkling in disdain. “I am glad you’re safe,” he hummed, his words barely above a whisper as honesty wove around them, encasing them as his gaze softened. “I did not wish death upon him. I may not have liked your father, but I never wanted him dead.” She did not have to believe it, but it was the truth. Lachesis was too honest of a man; he did not even think he was capable of killing another… not unless it was truly warranted.

Trust had been the issue with Kjors. After the attempted dethroning XIX knew that the dragon would try a second time. It was power he was after. He wouldn’t stop until he had it. Which was why he needed to be removed. He was a threat to the future of Hearthwood. To him and his family. Lachesis could not risk him staying.

Even after his departure Kjors had caused the ghost’s family to crumble. His son had chased after them, desperate to cling onto his milk-mother and -sister. And his daughter had followed, desperate to bring her brother home. Neither of them returned. XIX was beginning to doubt they ever would.

The corners of his eyes crinkled with concern as she spoke once more, announcing that she had lost her mother. His heart ached for both her and Karina. “I have not seen her… not since the both of you left.” He paused, his throat dry. “I’m so sorry, Bennet. You don’t have to believe it—I don’t expect you to—but I am.”

[/dohtml]

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Bennet - Nov 26, 2017

Bennet sighed softly – she had hoped, but it came as no great surprise that Lachesis had not found any of the wolves she so desperately wanted to see. Even though she steeled herself against this possibility, it still hurt her heart. Still hurt something else, to think she’d been so plainly abandoned by everyone she considered her family. Or maybe worse.

Mother above, but she really hoped it was just abandonment, and Karina and Kyrios were okay somewhere. Wherever they were.

Whatever anger she had felt was drained right out her, the scab ripped off a festering wound. “I, uh – s’okay. Ma wasn’t… Ma wasn’t right. Didn’ know then. Think maybe Da was startin’ to, but then the lion…” It didn’t matter if he was forming plans, or was worried, or wanted help – he was dead, and she left his bones up on the mountain for anyone to see. Her tail fell further, if that was at all possible. But she knew now, having met other wolves of Ered Luin – not dragons themselves, but they understood. No one worshipped the Mother as reverently as Karina did, though; her time with these wolves had tempered the youth, if only just.

Losing both parents did a lot to stifle a wolf’s belief in a greater good, too.

“…if I was gonna look for Kyr – you know where I might start lookin’?”

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Lachesis - Nov 28, 2017

[dohtml]

Ma wasn’t right. He frowned at her comment, his shoulders sagging. He had known she wasn’t right and it pained him to think he hadn’t tried hard enough. That he had helped to push her away. He should have fought for her attention, submerging her in the world of plants and keeping her away from Kjors. But, if he had succeeded, Bennet wouldn’t be standing before him. His eyes crinkled in concern, his ears sweeping to the side. Where did you go? He asked, his muzzle canted to the side, genuine curiosity and concern bubbling within his chest.

Lachesis wished he could help the girl find his firstborn son, but he did not know where the tawny captain had disappeared to. The healer had hoped he would have been with Bennet, or even Karina, but that wasn’t the case. Had he joined one of the neighbouring packs, just out of reach from the troubled father? Or had he left the lands of Lore entirely? Had Atropos found him? His stomach tightened at the thought. Try the mountains, he offered, motioning to the rocky ridge in the distance, or west. I have not seen him anywhere near these parts. He sighed as the words rolled off his tongue, his nose falling. If you see him… tell him I miss him? And that I never stopped looking… his words trailed off, chartreuse gaze avoiding the dark yearling before him. You don’t have to. But I hope you find him.

[/dohtml]

RE: a dragon is just the son of man. - Bennet - Dec 01, 2017

“With my uncle, for a while. Named Kjell.”

Went across the mountain, where he’d gotten healed, and then south, where his mate was – but the idea of him and her being all happy together was too much for her, and she wanted to go. And Kjell let her. Maybe it was because he didn’t really have any parental instincts, not at that time. “Then north, and east. Where my Da came from. And I found Ered Luin – s’his old pack. But new wolves. Kinda. Cousins, and distant relations, and stuff. They kept me over the winter and spring. But… Wasn’t home, I guess. So I came back.”

To look for the missing pieces, as if she herself had not wandered so far from her heart. Kingsfall would probably never be her home, nor would Dragonsveil, but Ered Luin wasn’t either. She just….she didn’t know yet. And that’s why she was looking.

Bennet canted her head at the request; she didn’t need to consider long. “Yeah. ‘course.” Mother, if she could hear the same about Karina-- It wasn’t even a question. Of course she’d tell Kyrios. “I guess…I’ll get goin’ then. If they come back, tell ‘em to wait here for me, okay?”