Ruins of Wildwood
The Wildwood I would never let you down - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Incompleted Relic Lore (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: The Wildwood I would never let you down (/showthread.php?tid=1726)

Pages: 1 2

I would never let you down - Oyasumi - Feb 09, 2012

"To hell with this archaic carcass," the old bloke muttered angrily under his breath. He'd been pushing his arthritic joints and sore muscles to trek farther than he'd originally anticipated. Now he wasn't even sure he could get back to where he'd been bedding down during the cold nights. He had at least a good couple miles left before he'd get there. A deep sigh crept from his throat at the idea of walking more. He knew one of these days he would need to accept the fact that he was aging faster than he liked to admit.

And on that note, he also needed to accept that it wasn't safe nor even close to advisable to be wandering out here alone. He'd lost a considerable amount of weight traveling on his own due to the inability to hunt as well as he had at a younger age. At this rate he was going to end up as a very svelte chap and all he could do was shake his head at that idea. 'Mr. Nasai is certainly not meant to be slender,' he thought. He knew hunger all too well and he winced at the idea of missing many more meals. He'd already been weakened enough traveling far distances on his own.

He lowered his haunches to the cool ground and sat there for a few minutes just observing his surroundings. It had been a few months that he'd been in such a beautiful area. It'd been a while since he could just sit and enjoy something so simple as this scene. It didn't take long before he was lost in thought completely and finally had to snap back to attention when he realized the sun would be sinking down in a short time. "Well, old boy, better get moving before your body ceases to move," he said aloud, raising his creaking body.

I would never let you down - Anyu - Feb 09, 2012

[dohtml]

you come to me with scars on your wrist
you tell me this will be the last night feeling like this

She had a lot to consider before making a decision. Terrified of joining a pack again, she wasn't sure that her heart could handle following Kanosak and Kashikoi to Copper Rock Creek. There was the deep-rooted fear that she would lose everything again, and this time it would kill her. At the same time, being a loner would kill her much faster, especially in this difficult season. Though winter was closer to being over and the temperatures were slowly increasing, there still wasn't much prey available. What was available was hard to catch alone. At the rate she was going she would starve to death before spring even arrived.

And Kashi. She loved the little Scrap. The thought of his response when she had told him she wasn't sure if she would be able to join was enough to tug at her heart. How she wanted to be there for the little yearling, taking care of him.

So lost in thought was she that she almost didn't notice the scent carried on the breeze before it was too late. Suddenly, the scent of a male wolf reached her nose and she froze in place, startled. How had she let her guard down? That wasn't the first time it had happened recently and it needed to stop. Slowly she crept forward, keeping an eye open for the stranger that was nearby. At first she couldn't see him, but then she heard a voice and she managed to pinpoint a location when a wolf stood up from a sitting position. Her view of him had been slightly cut off.

Looking at him she knew he wouldn't be a threat. Clearly he was older; she could see it in the way he moved and in the fur around his face. Perhaps he wasn't ancient, but he was most certainly several years older than she. He was still large, though clearly underweight for his size. She pitied the older male almost instantly, able to understand what he was going through. She had lost quite a bit of weight on her own, and even two group hunts had not been enough to fix that. She needed regular meals.

Anyu didn't think he would hurt her, so she stepped out of her hiding place before he had a chance to leave. “Hello,” she said, keeping her distance. “Sorry to intrude. I'm just passing through.”

i just came to say goodbye
didn't want you to see me cry, i'm fine

[/dohtml]

He slowly stretched out his aching legs, trying to alleviate some of the pain, but it seemed to not help anything. His mouth widened suddenly with a loud yawn that he just couldn't keep contained. Exhaustion was tickling at his mind and body, but he was determined to make it back to his nest. As soon as he'd turned to head back in the direction of the bed he so desired he caught glimpse of a figure he hadn't noticed before. How had he manage to miss that? He should have been able to smell or hear her, but all he could think was that his brain had shut down long enough for her to come across him without him sensing anything.

"No worries, my dear, you can't intrude on something that is not mine and this fellow isn't going to get upset about someone else walking nearby unless I'm given a reason to," he spoke gently. He knew better than to get agitated about someone being in the area. This wasn't his land and he had no reason to get snippy. He'd learned a long time ago that that never went all too well for him. As a young adult he'd gotten into a number of scuffles over matters that he now found downright silly.

His weakened body throbbed all over, and he wanted nothing more than to just lie down where he was and sleep for days. He carefully looked over the female's face and instantly noted that there was likely some sort of stress that she was dealing with, but he knew it wasn't something he would ask about. "My name is Oyasumi Nasai, but most just call Oya. And you are...?" he trailed off, attempting to keep himself steady. It had been a long time since he'd come in contact with another wolf and he surely wasn't going to pass up the chance to communicate with someone other than himself.

[dohtml]

She felt as though she had intruded on the old wolf and she was hesitant to come any nearer for fear of upsetting him. His calm words eased some of her fears, however, and she relaxed a little. If he had asked then she might have turned around and left or gone around; she wouldn't have minded, anyways, since she didn't really have a destination at this point.

“Nice to meet you, Oya,” she said softly, still reserved and hanging back. Clearly he was not a threat, but she couldn't help being worried that she would disturb him in some way. She was a useless, annoying wolf in her mind; someone no one wanted anything to do with. Because of that she was quick to think that others would not want her around or would somehow take offense to her presence.

“I'm Anyu,” she offered a few moments later in response, as if she had been debating whether or not to answer. Her voice was soft and calm; a polite-sounding voice that one might use with someone one respects. In fact, she was quicker to like and respect older wolves, who she often found were more agreeable anyways. “Are you alright?” she asked, concern lacing through her voice, She could see that he was older and thin. She wondered how he managed to survive out here on his own.

Perhaps they would both benefit from a pack. Neither of them were in the best shape.

[/dohtml]

He nodded his head curtly with the announcement of her name, but he could still sense her caution of him. There wasn't any reason for her to be afraid of him in his mind, but he deeply understood why she'd be cautious. Not all wolves were all that pleasant upon meeting for the first time and he'd dealt with that a few times during his life. He met some wolves with very nasty attitudes before and it still made him a bit weary when encountering strangers.

He exhaled when she questioned him, unsure of how to answer. He knew if he continued the way he did he wasn't going to be able to lie about it for much longer. "I've been better..." he admitted, a little embarrassed of his state. His coat wasn't in the best of shape and portions had thinned out slightly from malnutrition. It wasn't overly obvious, but he felt a tad self-conscious that he was getting progressively worse. His nails desperately needed worn down, he needed to gain back weight he'd lost, and his mental state needed a kick in the behind from being so used to living on his own.

He looked at her sorrowfully, not wanting to even be standing in front of someone when he looked like this. "Being alone for so long has certainly taken it's toll on me," he finished quietly. He rolled his shoulder blades, trying to work out a kink. "What are you doing out here by yourself, Anyu?" he asked curiously. He hadn't even thought about the fact that she was alone and he began to worry about her own well-being. .

[dohtml]

Cautiously she took one step forward, then another, moving a little closer to Oya now that she felt more comfortable with him. Still, she kept at least a wolf-length between herself and him, merely to give him his space if that was what he wanted. She wasn't the kind of wolf who liked to get close to others any more. Maybe that had been okay with her once in her life, but after everything that had happened she didn't think she wanted physical contact with anyone - with the exception of little Scrap.

Anyu had to grin at his response to her question. Though tired, stressed, and emotionally dead at times, she could sympathize with the old wolf and his condition. It wasn't as if she was in good condition, either. Her fur was not as bright or as clean as it had once been and she had lost a significant amount of weight in her year or so as a loner. There was no reason for him to be embarrassed when they were both in the same state.

“You and me both,” she responded with a friendly smile. When he asked what she was doing alone, however, her smile faded away. She wasn't sure how to answer that question because she wasn't so sure what the reason was anymore. “Thinking,” she said with a shrug. “And no where to go, I guess.” She was teetering on the edge of joining Kashi and Kano in the pack they had invited her into, but she just wasn't sure that her heart could take that risk. She was scared.

“What about you?”

[/dohtml]

Oya sat back down, mentally giving in to the pain and deciding that there was no way he was going to manage to get back to his warm nest without collapsing. He winched as he adjusted his weight, trying to position himself just right to where he'd be the most comfortable. His posture slumped in defeat to his age. He couldn't keep up the act that he wasn't in a large deal of pain. He shouldn't have pushed himself so hard to travel so far, but he was too stubborn to give in. He wanted to explore and he had his heart set on doing just that. At least now he had a new highlight; speaking to another canine.

The content spark in his eyes immediately turned concerned when her tone and facial expression changed. He shifted his weight a little, keeping his gaze locked on Anyu. "My heart and soul passed away years ago suddenly and I guess I've never really had a reason since then to stop traveling. 'Cept maybe age now," he sighed, turning his gaze downwards. He hadn't spoke of his mate in a long time, but he still thought about her throughout the day. He missed her immensely.

"Do you belong to a pack or do you wander alone all the time to think?" he asked. "It's not all that safe for a pretty little lady to be by herself," he teased playfully, a small smile tugging at his lips. His eyelids felt heavy and drooped lazily, but he remained alert for the sake of having a conversation after having not spoken to anyone for months. He was enjoying her company.

[dohtml]

Anyu's eyes filled with concern for the older wolf. She could see how uncomfortable he was in the way that he kept adjusting his body to try and find a more comfortable position. She wished that she could somehow ease his pain, but she didn't know how that was even possible. She couldn't even solve her own problems. Coming up with a solution to the old man's physical pain was something she didn't believe she had the power to do.

Even though he didn't say directly what he had lost, she knew. She could understand the feeling, having lost two loves of her own already, plus all of her family. That was precisely the reason why she was so afraid to join a pack again. She didn't want to lose anyone else. If she did then her poor heart might give out on her. At the thought of her losses - sparked by his mention of his own loss - sadness and longing filled her eyes, both for herself and for him. If there was anything she could do to be with her lost loved ones again, then she would do it without question.

“I don't belong to a pack yet,” she answered slowly, adding in the yet at the end on purpose. She still wasn't certain if she would join Copper Rock Creek. She loved Kashi like a son and she knew that she would never have any children of her own. Still, she hesitated to join.

She couldn't help but snort when he teased her. “Look who's talking, old man,” she replied in a similarly teasing tone. “I'm not in any more danger than you are!” She shook her head in mock scorn. Then she grew serious once more, eyeing Oya for a moment. “You think about joining a pack?” she asked him cautiously. She had to admit that she might feel better about joining one if she knew that the old man might joining one too.

[/dohtml]

I would never let you down - Oyasumi - Feb 12, 2012

He slowly lowered his body to the ground and he wondered how long it would be for his aching body to repair itself. He was hoping that it would be sooner rather than later, because a wolf in too much pain to even want to move really couldn't fend for their life if a situation arose. He groaned quietly, continuing to listen to Anyu, and trying to ease the pain by ignoring it. It wasn't the best method, but if he could put it to the back of his mind he wouldn't mind it too much.

His brow raised ever so slightly, curious as to why she didn't already belong to a pack. It seemed silly to be alone and everyday he wondered why he was alone himself. He'd never thought he'd end up traveling the world alone without a mate or pack, but he supposed nobody really knew where they were going to go in life. He yawned, tired from the journey, but too stubborn to even consider falling asleep. He'd go find a safer place to sleep once Anyu decided to leave, but he certainly wasn't going to cut the conversation short.

A chuckle fled his mouth at her tease knowing very well that she was probably right. He was an old man in a not so great body condition and he was as good as dead if someone decided to go after him. But that's not to say that wouldn't put up a valiant fight. "You'll protect me, though, right, sweetie?" he chortled. He remained quiet for a few moments, considering what she'd asked. He knew that he eventually needed to find a pack and be accepted. He wasn't going to stay alive for much longer if he didn't. He was in no shape to fend for himself or even hunt a decent amount to keep himself fed. "I'd like to soon. In my health and age trying to take care of myself alone isn't the brightest move," he admitted.

I would never let you down - Anyu - Feb 12, 2012

[dohtml]

Watching him, Anyu knew that Oya was tired and hurting. She could see it in the way he moved, as well as in his yawning. She wondered if he had yet found a place to sleep or if he had a den as she had in the Thicket of Secrets. Her den wasn't big enough to share and it was a ways away, but she would have let him use it if they were closer. It would take them all night to get over to the thicket, however, so that idea was hardly feasible.

Anyu felt a pang in her stomach and used ascultation to confirm a diagnosis of hunger. Her stomach was growling. She needed to eat, but in the current season it was hard to say whether or not she would be able to find something edible. Hoping that she would get lucky, she sharpened her senses, becoming more alert and searching for the scent of any kind of prey. Oya looked to be in worse shape than she and she wondered if she could find something for him.

“I know of two packs around here,” she mentioned casually as she cast her senses about the area. “I met the alphas. Indru of Swift River pack seemed nice.” She hoped the male would take the hint and go there - she wasn't sure that Ruiko of Copper Rock Creek would be the best choice, and Indru seemed quite laid-back and understanding. Oya might do well there. At this point she wasn't sure what she should do. Kano and Kashi wanted her to join Copper Rock Creek, and Indru had been very nice. But there was still that deep-rooted fear in her.

“You look a bit hungry,” she said jokingly. “I'm gonna go find something for us to eat, ok?” She wasn't asking permission; she found that she genuinely liked and respected Oya and she wanted to help him out. If she could find something for him to eat then she could work on finding something for herself as well. Of course, large game was out of the question. She couldn't hunt something large by herself and she didn't think Oya was in any shape to be doing that.

She stood and headed into the trees, her nose and ears working over time to find anything edible. She wasn't going to go far; she was too tired for that and she didn't want to search all over the place for an hour, leaving Oya there all alone. If only she could find something...a hare or a bird of some sort. Maybe there was a squirrel that had come out for a bit to find a store of food. Maybe a chipmunk or a marmot or...something.

There. She smelled...something. She wasn't sure what it was at first, but then the smell of marmot really struck her. It was coming from a hole in the ground. Once, she had watched a bear dig up marmots that were still hibernating. With luck, she could do the same thing. First, however, she blocked the entrance by digging a small hole and using the excess dirt to fill in the tunnel. Then she started to dig, tearing at the earth madly and hoping that she would find something. Nothing stirred; the marmots must have been so deeply asleep that they heard nothing.

Finally she broke through the ceiling and was staring into a small underground den. The marmots were just beginning to stir, but she was fast. She snapped the necks of the two creatures and dragged the bodies out. They were the only two, but for two hungry wolves it was enough. Carefully, she picked up both of the animals in her mouth and returned to Oya.

She dropped the marmots near Oya and nudged one over to him. “Found these guys sleeping in a little burrow,” she said proudly. “One for you and one for me, and it hardly required any work at all.” She watched the older male, hoping he would accept the gift, even though he hadn't done the hunting himself. He needed the food even more than she did.

[/dohtml]