Ruins of Wildwood
Wild Rye Fields This time around, there's time to turn it around - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore IX (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=176)
+---- Thread: Wild Rye Fields This time around, there's time to turn it around (/showthread.php?tid=17969)

Pages: 1 2

This time around, there's time to turn it around - Askan - Jun 30, 2018

Still takes place on the 25th, a little after his previous thread
@Jessie
[dohtml]

Though Askan wouldn't admit it, the journey to Wild Rye Field had taken it's toll. With all of the coyotes roaming the land he'd made a beeline for the Lowlands, barely stopping to catch his breath let alone to rest. He'd got here in one piece, but he knew galloping off back home without resting at least a little wasn't going to happen. Askan was stubborn, more than a little proud, but he was still a realist.

And so after the little conversation at the border drew to a close he found himself walking down a familiar path. The south-western reaches of the field, where they trees overtook the rye, had always been quiet, secluded. Hopefully that hadn't changed, though if it had he supposed he could bite the bullet and sleep somewhere a little closer to the communal den. To his relief, the old den seemed relatively untouched, if not a little worse for wear. The once green foliage that formed the shelter had long since turned brown and brittle, it seemed as though a brisk wind would blow it all away. Askan huffed at the sight, the den was a shadow of it's former glory but it would do in a pinch. Assuming it didn't fall down on top of him.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Jessie - Jul 05, 2018

[dohtml]

The Rye Queen had been outside of the borders upon Askan's arrival. Since the presence of coyotes increased and the arrival of Adelayde's children, the Tainn had taken any chance she could to go outside of the borders to scout out the movement of their rivals. It comforted the woman to know that they were keeping their distance from the Rye border. Jessie did not want to risk the lives of the children. She did not want to risk an injury to any of her members nor did she want to see another death in the family.

As she made her way back over the borders, the monochrome woman inhaled deeply, eyebrows creasing together as she paused, nostrils flaring as she took in an all too familiar scent. One that had well crossed her borders. Jessie was not concerned, along with Askan's scent was that of other members - including one of their newest, Cancer. A part of her felt a bit of pride to know that her members had answered the call so promptly but another part of her wondered how Laike had handled the border encounter, with one of their allies no less. She was quick to follow her former subordinate's scent, a small smile forming on her lips when she realized where his scent was leading.

The younger man's familiar black form came into view and Jessie paused for a moment, watching him. Askan had grown much since he had left the Rye, was happier where he was now, but she would be lying if she said she did not miss his devil-may-care attitude. The woman neared in her approach, emerald eyes surveying the dark man's former den. When she spoke, her voice was soft, "Lots of memories here?" Her gaze trailed to look at the Shallows King, "Everything ok?" The pepper-and-salt colored woman would hate to think that anything happened to the Shallows. Hardly ever did they meet as allies when something did not go amiss.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Askan - Jul 05, 2018

Scouting dem 1/3
[dohtml]

Askan didn't turn nor flinch when Jessie spoke. Instead his ears twitched back only to realign as a slight smile tugged at his lips. His toes curled into the dirt as he pulled in a deep lungful of air, it had always been so clean and crisp here. He supposed it had something to do with all the wide open space.

"A few." He said, his voice not quite as gruff as usual. After all, they weren't all bad.

He turned to meet her then, taking care to keep his tail low, his shoulders relaxed, respectful. Like the old days, when he'd been her subordinate, rather than equal. At her question he nodded, her concern was understandable. It was rare that anyone popped over to share good news, every time someone called at his borders he always wondered 'what now?' He imagined the Rye wolves often felt the same.

"Nothing I can't handle." His smile grew, maybe he was arrogant for thinking so but he didn't care. Shallows Edge could handle whatever the coyotes threw their way. "I've been meaning to visit for a while, but figured I ought to wait till the weather was better."

So there he was, back in his old haunting grounds, which looked just that, dried and decrepit. It didn't feel as bad as he thought it might, nor was he lashed with regret and dismay. Needless to say he missed the Old Man, and he likely always would but... He'd thought long and hard on it, had worked through it with Reyes and had come to the conclusion that Drestig wouldn't want anyone moping over him. Least of all those he cared about.

"So I met @Laike, he seems adequate." It wasn't a compliment, or even an attempt at one, just a blunt observation Askan had made. At the very least Adelayde seemed to like him, sauntering over and smooching him like that. Jeeze.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Jessie - Jul 25, 2018

[dohtml]

He took his time in turning to face her - not that it bothered her much anymore. Askan no longer answered to her and there was something almost calming about his laidback aura. Jessie did not bother lifting her banner or squaring her shoulders. They both knew where they stood with one another, there was no need to force it on one another. Instead, she took a seat, her tail curving around her feet. Grey ears were perked forward, pleased to hear that everything was seemingly alright within the Shallows. There hint of a smile on Jessie's lips turning slightly up and eyes crinling. Her voice was soft when she spoke, "Well, I'm glad you're here. It's nice to see a familiar face." With all the new members that joined - while some were familiar - only time would tell how they would fare in the pack.

Having not met up with any of her pack mates before finding Askan, the Rye Queen was not privy to the meeting that occurred at the borders, nor how it had gone, but Jessie supposed it should be promising that the dark man was within the borders currently. The monochrome woman's nostrils woman's flared, more out of amusement than anything else, her eyes communicating as much. "I couldn't have said it better myself." Laike was no Drestig and no one ever would be. Hell, had Askan and Reyes not gone on to found Shallows Edge, it would be the former second at the helm. Hard to imagine how that would have turned out. But they would have made it work, she would like to imagine, somehow. Emerald eyes did not move away from the larger man, her eyebrows creased together as if in distress, "I am very sorry. For not listening to you while you lived here. Your thoughts should have mattered and I just shot you down time and again. That was so wrong of me and I should have apologized much sooner."

Ears were folded back on the Queen's head. It was a regret that had been building up since Shallow's couple had left. One she had come to acknowledge and tried to be better with. Apologizes were not really Jessie's forte, having felt she was always doing the right thing, but she hoped this time she was mending what little remained of what little they had. After all, they were allies and sometimes it was easier to be allies with those you considered to be friends. Or family, in some cases.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Askan - Jul 28, 2018

Scouting dem 2/3
[dohtml]

No matter how adequate Laike turned out to be he'd never be able to replace Drestig. The Old Man had his faults, and was by no means the perfect leader, but...Askan had looked up to him and had wanted nothing more than to make him proud. The Selwyn supposed that as long as the Field wolves were getting by then it was fine, right? After all, he no longer had the right to make suggestions on how things were supposed to be run. Jessie and Laike could recruit whoever they liked- even if that newcomer seemed like a massive kiss arse it wasn't his place to say anything. Damn, it was tempting to make a snide comment or two, but he'd resisted. Just barely.

And then Jessie did the unexpected, she apologised.

Askan hadn't come here seeking that out. It was true that he got frustrated from time to time, that bitterness reared it's ugly head, but no matter what he said he could never truly hate Jessie. He knew it couldn't be easy, to shove her pride aside to admit she had been wrong but Askan appreciated it. He truly did, even if he wasn't entirely sure how to express that.

"I don't- I know what I'm like. Sometimes I get so-" He huffed, he knew what he wanted to say but he was having trouble getting the words out. He scrapped his nails into the dirt and tutted as his efforts caused dust to swirl around his paws. "Even now I'm still working on it. You know what happened with Cancer and Ris- someone shouts at me I'm gonna shout back, can't help it. But you and me...Things, I better, I think. Maybe the distance helps."

Or that they were both getting older, who knew?

"So Adelayde and Laike are a thing...that's weird." His nose wrinkled. He wasn't sure what to make of that, though he wondered if Jessie had felt that way about Reyes and him...

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Jessie - Aug 20, 2018

[dohtml]

Something uncomfortable twisted in the Rye Queen's stomach. Nervousness. Jessie never had to really worried about being rejected but the thought of Askan denying her apology and throwing it back in her face was a very real fear that the monochome woman did not want to face. She was not expecting for the dark man to be speechless. It was something she had never experienced but she took it as a sign that she had done something right, unexpected. As he spoke, she felt a warm feeling settle in her chest. Not finding the proper words to respond, she smiled, eyes crinkling and lighting up.

Grey ears perked forward at the mention of the Rye couple - the couple that was having pups this season. Emerald eyes peered over at her former Second, a small smile on her lips. When she spoke, her voice was softer, "As long as they're happy, that's what matters, right?" The woman turned to look at the man next to her. After all, that's why Askan and Reyes left right? To be happy. Now, there was a tinge of sadness in the Rye Queen's gaze. The pepper-and-salt colored woman never felt like she would be happy ever again, not with Drestig gone. Both of her loves were gone but Jessie needed to do her best to remember those who remained.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Askan - Aug 20, 2018

[dohtml]

"Mm, I suppose." He conceded, with slight tip of his head.

All this talk of Adelayde though, it reminded him of something he'd briefly thought about earlier. Whilst he wasn't exactly sure how to put it into words, he felt like it needed to be addressed. Jessie was no fool, nor was she blind, so if Askan had noticed then he was certain the Rye Queen had as well.  Still, how was he supposed to ask about it without sounding like a nosy prick? Like he was shoving himself face first into issues that didn't concern him anymore. The Edge Lord pursed his lips in quiet consideration.

"Speaking of, I'm surprised she hasn't tried to challenge you." He said it offhandedly, like it just occurred to him. "Figured she'd want to rule with her man."

He turned back to her then, his gaze level and steady. She'd been through enough, the last thing Jessie needed was for greed to uproot her from her rightful throne. The Selwyn clan had always stuck firmly to their traditions, challenging the leaders for their position was unacceptable, unthinkable even. Even in Relic Lore that mentality was still rooted in Askan's mind. So the way he saw it, if Adelayde wanted to lead then she had to wait till it was her damn turn. Or she could trot off and start her own pack, but he couldn't see that happening anytime soon.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Jessie - Sep 09, 2018

[dohtml]

After Askan grumbled his agreements, they lapsed into silence. It wasn't until her dark companion spoke again did Jessie's ears swivel forward, emerald eyes focusing back on him. Eyebrows pulled together in confusion, hurt that the thought would even cross his mind. While she wasn't the best leader, she did her best and was trying to be better. It took the Rye Queen a moment to realise that there was maybe something beneath the surface. Jessie relaxed, voice light when she spoke, "Are you worried about me, Askan?" Her tail wagged slightly behind her but a small frown was forming on the woman's lips. While the former Second made a good point, the Tainn trusted Adelayde, who had been there since the beginning, much like Askan had.

The Rye Queen's voice was more somber, "Her time will come soon and I'm sure she knows that. I'm not getting any younger." Whether it be by her nautral death or a freak accident, Jessie had no doubts that Adelayde would be the one to succeed her and perhaps Sphinx afterwards, to continue the Avalon legacy, just as Drestig would have wished it. The monochrome woman's jaw was tight as she thought about the future of the Rye. The future of her children. One of which was no longer in the Fields. "How is Percy?" Her voice was much softer now. Percy and Jessie were never close but the mother still loved the girl with all her heart.

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Askan - Sep 11, 2018

Scouting dem 3/3
[dohtml]

Askan's brows drew together as his ears flicked back, as though he didn't want to hear what she had to say. Though he didn't want to admit it, he was, in a sense, worried about her. He doubted that Adelayde would make it any harder than it needed to be-unless she'd changed a whole lot since he'd seen her last- but it was an unpleasant thought all the same. He supposed it was because he'd served her so long that he couldn't imagine the Field with anyone else at the helm. This was how it was meant to be- or rather it would have been if Drestig was still alive.

"Don't say that. Askan was quick to grumble. "You've still got life left in you yet."

Like Jessie though, his mind wandered down the path of possibilities. What if she got hurt like Drestig? What if her end was painful and drawn out? Nope, the Edge Lord was having none of that. Not today.

Thankfully, Jessie steered the topic to something a little more favourable, though no less difficult.

"I think...she's going through a moody phase." She'd never been the most social-a trait she'd no doubt picked up from the Edge Lord himself- but she was even crabbier than usual. "You know, glares like she hates everyone and everything. Been there done that." He shrugged. "I think the Shallows suit her though, working on getting some more of her memory back too."

[/dohtml]

RE: This time around, there's time to turn it around - Jessie - Sep 29, 2018

[dohtml]

Askan's reaction was subtle, but Jessie noticed it - probably due to their time together mostly being nonchalant. Death could be a hard topic could aknowledge but the more prepared for it you were, the less it hurt. At least, that's what Jessie tried to tell herself. She had yet to experience it. Jessie offered a soft smile to Askan, his words touching her heart. She truly never expected them to be able to mend anything but now that they were building their bridges back, she felt a sense of accomplishment. The woman nodded her head to the man in thanks. It was nice to know that even though Askan was no longer by her side in ranks he still had her back in spirit.

Though her position in the pack was surely important, their conversation took a turn to a more serious note - her daughter. The monochrome woman's ears cupped forward to take in what the Edge Lord was saying. It sounded like any other phase for the age that Percy was, but Jessie could not help but be worried. Her daughter was in capable paws though and the Tainn doubted she would trust anyone else to take care of her first child. Jessie's lips pulled down into a frown but her eyes were grateful when she spoke, "I'm glad that she's doing well there. I wouldn't want her anywhere else." Except maybe here. "I just want her to be happy." The woman's tail swayed behind her, a yawn threatening to escape behind her jaws. "You're welcome to rest here as long as you need to. The caches are also open to you, but I think it's time I got some sleep as well." She still needed to find a prey trail but she wandered how much luck she was going to have with the coyotes roaming about.

[/dohtml]