Ruins of Wildwood
Wild Cherry Orchard Almost there - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore XI (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Wild Cherry Orchard Almost there (/showthread.php?tid=19266)

Pages: 1 2

Almost there - Neo - Jan 22, 2021

At the edge of the orchard and blackberry fields to the west
Please allow @Bellavinne to post first
[dohtml]

Neo and his companion had been traveling for a few days. The time had been.. odd... but good. Vinnie was young and different from what he was used to but not bad company. She seemed hesitant as if she wasn't used to making decisions on her own. Yeah, he didn't take her for the leader or second type of wolf but that didn't mean she shouldn't be able to make decisions right? He didn't know, since their first talk he hadn't asked her more about her family, pack, or past. He didn't wanna bring them up, didn't wanna talk or hear about them. As far as he could tell they were cruel and foolish wolves who didn't deserve a friendly and kind girl like Vinnie no matter how strange she was.

But it wasn't the girl who worried him now. Instead, it was the bare snow-covered cherry trees around them. They could see the large tree in the center from here and Neo was happy but worried. The orchard carried the scents of wolves. None dominant enough to be territory claims but others were or had been here recently. But he didn't smell Nia among them, could he even tell her scent from others at this part? He doubted it, he hated the fact he did but he knew he likely wouldn't recognize her scent now.. not after two years apart. Maybe he should just howl? But would she even hear? If she was in the fields yes if she was in the forest around the plains no... He knew the woodlands had to be among the timers but where? North, south, west, or east? which way?

With a sigh, he flopped from his seat to his belly. A low grunt from his lips as he looked out into the fields. "We should be close now, but I don't know how close" he spoke into the air knowing that Vinnie was likely nearby if she hadn't wandered off.

Neo Hervok
TEMPLATE © NDA OF RCR & RPG-D
[/dohtml]

RE: Almost there - Bellavinne - Jan 22, 2021

They had been traveling for several days now, and Vinnie was thoroughly turned around. She kept her eye out for any medicinal plants she might be able to collect (though how she’d carry them and how far was lost on her; it was just something to do) there wasn’t much growing just yet and all she saw were sticks and bare bushes that might hold promise come springtime.

The trees around them were beginning to change and while Vinnie wasn’t sure what kind of trees they were, she thought they were pretty - even bare and covered in old snow. It was new. A ways ahead of them she could see a taller tree that stood out among the rest and she wondered just how bit it was.

Neo was starting to get… Vinnie didn’t want to say ‘twitchy’, but that was the best descriptor she could come up with. The closer they got to the largest tree, the more his attitude changed. The smaller girl wondered if she’d done something, but he wasn’t really treating her very differently; something just seemed to be bothering him and Vinnie was a little afraid to ask. Questions had always gotten her in trouble.

They’d stopped for a rest and Vinnie was sniffing around the snowdrifts at the bases of the trees, looking for any sign of a squirrel or herbs when Neo flopped onto his belly and grunted. She looked at him. ”Close to where?” she asked hesitantly. ”That big tree? Is that where your sister is?”

RE: Almost there - Neo - Jan 22, 2021

[dohtml]

Neo turned his head to look at the woman a hesitant smile on his lips as he shook his head. "Not exactly" he offered realizing he'd never actually told Vinnie it was two years since he saw his sister last. It was a long shot to come here, but he knew that this was close to where the woodlands had been... Or somewhat close... This just had to be the place, there was nowhere else it could be but the field was surrounded by forest the pack territory could be anywhere. "This was the last place I saw my sister" he offered as he looked around his eyes lingering on something and nothing between the trees.

"The pack we were looking for is somewhere around here, in the forest around the field but I don't know where exactly" he explained returning his gaze to Vinnie. He knew he would have to look for Nia knew he would be turning rocks but the forest around the fields where large it could and would take days to search it all... if not weeks... howling would be easier he guesses but it could draw unwanted attention. "I guess howling could make life easier" at least it would if she was even here... no... Nia was here... she had to be.

Neo Hervok
TEMPLATE © NDA OF RCR & RPG-D
[/dohtml]

Neo seemed somewhat hesitant himself, something Vinnie was unused to. Her companion of the last several days had sometimes been soft spoken - mostly when she herself was feeling particularly nervous - but he hadn’t seemed unsure before.

The change was quickly made apparent. He didn’t say exactly when he’d last seen his sister, but Vinnie suspected from his demeanor that it had been a while. She moved over to sit beside him. ”I’m sure she’s around here somewhere. She’ll be looking for you too, right? Does the pack…” she paused and her ears flicked back. Other packs made her nervous. Her own former pack made her nervous. Other wolves in general made her nervous. But Neo was looking for his family and he seemed to love them, and she said she’d help. ”Does the pack know you’re looking for them? It would be better not to surprise them, right?”

If any unfortunate lone wolves wandered onto her family’s territory, they were lucky if they only got run off. Vinnie suspected her father enjoyed hurting others; even his own pack. Especially those who couldn’t prove themselves useful.

Like her mother, when she proved unable to provide another litter for her father.

Vinnie shook the memory off. She didn’t want to think about her father. She didn’t want to think about any of them, even if a part of her missed them.

RE: Almost there - Neo - Jan 22, 2021

Neo smiled at her thankful for her optimism but he doubted Nia was looking for him. He hadn't been looking for her before he'd heard of her from an alley. It was two years after they had last seen each other. "I'm not sure, I had stopped looking for her until someone told me they had seen her heading back here" he explained to Vinnie feeling guilty he had ever stopped. That he had abandoned all hope of finding her and moved on. He regretted stopping but he didn't regret joining the Fell didn't regret staying in the pack which had taught him so much.

Vinnie wanted to know if the woodlands knew he was looking for them and he shook his head. He didn't believe they were still there. It seemed so unlikely. Everywhere he'd been since re-entering the lore had been so empty. Deprived of canine life. On top, the Woodlands likely didn't know of his and his sibling's existence. "I don't think the pack is there anymore. Last time I was here this place was thriving with wolves and packs all over the place." He pushed himself up he would sit beside her a soft thumb of his tail as it hit the ground while wagging. "Now it's almost empty, I haven't encountered any packs or signs of packs since I returned. I think she went back to find the place but I'm not sure. According to the wolf I spoke with Nia was traveling with an old woman. But I'm not sure who" he assumed it was someone from their mother's past. Someone had wanted to bring the Hervok's back here but why?

Vinnie listened patiently. She couldn’t blame him for ceasing his search; after a long enough time, it’s hard to keep up hope. She’d tried looking for her mom, once; she gave up after a few months, and later - without even meaning to - she’d stumbled upon Helyadinne’s body several miles from their borders. It didn’t look like she’d survived long after being driven out of the pack, and Vinnie couldn’t tell if her mother had been killed or simply died. She reported the body to her siblings, foolishly thinking they might care about the woman who birthed them, but they merely reported her to their father and she was severely punished for it.

She was pulled from her reverie by Neo moving on to talk about the pack they were looking for. A pack that probably wasn’t here, it turned out, because none of the other packs were here either. It was strange to think that this land had once been full of wolves and their families and was now devoid of canine life. It was almost frightening.

Vinnie tried hard not to think about her own place in the world.

”…Maybe we should keep heading for where you saw her, then?” she suggested carefully. It wasn’t her prerogative to make decisions or suggest paths. That led to trouble. But even in her short time with Neo, she was learning that he didn’t seem to mind when she stepped beyond her place - and she didn't like to see her new friend downhearted.

”If she’s headed this way, then we should stick around for a while.” She gently nudged his side with one paw. ”If we move around in the same area, she’ll smell us if she comes through.”

RE: Almost there - Neo - Jan 23, 2021

Neo nodded his head "We could try to find the abandoned den if it hasn't collapsed" he agreed though doubted Nia would be there, sure she could have passed by it for old times sake but to stay there? Especially with someone else seemed unlikely. As nudged him with a paw he took in a deep breath and smiled at Vinnie. "Yeah you right sticking around the orchard and field should eventually have us crossing paths again" he said pushing the feeling of confidence into his words. He would see Nia again, he hadn't traveled all this way not to besides he wanted to be with his family again now that he knew there was a chance he could find her.

Neo had a plan or a beginning plan in his head. The fields were a prime hunting spot for any wolf. If he were to leave scent markers around or just howl from different locations Nia might eventually hear him if she had found the woodland's old territory. "I think I could use the plains as a good spot to start. Howling out in the open is easier to hear and it won't be near the orchard where we are staying." yeah it made sense... he could use the plains and keep Vinnie from having to deal with to many wolves or be worried about who would show up.

RE: Almost there - Bellavinne - Jan 26, 2021

An abandoned den sounded interesting; digging it out if it had collapsed would give Vinnie something to do that might be productive. If anyone used it again, that is. Still, something to occupy her time.

Although Vinnie knew howling would increase their efficacy, announcing their presence and location made her a bit nervous. What if someone from the Sevak pack...

But he would be howling in the plains, not where they were staying. It was enough distance to give them some warning if someone undesirable showed up.

Fear was hard to cast aside. "Hey Neo...? she ventured timidly. Vinnie swallowed, ears dropping in her nervousness. She couldn't look at him. "You won't... Leave me, right?"

RE: Almost there - Neo - Jan 26, 2021

It was the shy almost hesitant words to Vinnie's words that had him turn his body as he sat looking down at the younger and smaller wolf. His gaze was soft if not curious as to why she had suddenly gotten hesitant. The fact he couldn't catch her eyes worried him. Though when she asked her question his eyes widened surprised by her worries. Leave her? Why would she think he would leave her? Neo had promised she could stay with him no matter what. He'd promised she'd always be welcome with him and his sister eventually. The blond wolf wanted to ask more about her worry, to figure out why she would be so afraid to be left alone but didn't dare pry.

"No, I won't leave you not until you tell me to go away"
he responded a smile on his lips as he attempted to bump his nose to her shoulder. He meant it he would stay with her as long as she wanted or needed him to. He'd even teach her as Barth had done for him. The older gruff wolf had seen potential in a young half-starved rough and trained him. Helped him not be a coward and eventually grow strong enough to protect others. So now Neo would keep Vinnie safe and he'd do all he could to help her.

RE: Almost there - Bellavinne - Jan 26, 2021

Bellavinne knew Neo was trying to catch her eye, but she was afraid to meet his gaze while asking such a selfish question. She would never have dared ask something like that at home - never would have asked questions to begin with. She was more accustomed to trying to make herself unnoticeable.

Neo was quick to reassure her that he wouldn't leave unless she asked. Vinnie relaxed a little. "I'm sorry, I just... I've never had friends before," she said, offering her companion a wan smile. "I don't want to be alone."

There. She admitted it. That was good, right? Was it good to expose her fears? What if he exploited them, like her father and brother and sister? If she was going to trust Neo, she might as well trust him all the way. "My family... Is strict. If they find me..." her throat closed, as though her father were tightening his jaws to keep her from telling this outsider about pack Dynamics. But she had to; Neo needed to know what he might be facing if somehow some of her family made it here. She forced the words from her reluctant tongue. "They'll kill me. For deserting." She hadn't really done it on purpose, but they would hardly care about the details.