Ruins of Wildwood
Beaver Dam [s] don't look back - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore XI (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Beaver Dam [s] don't look back (/showthread.php?tid=19295)

Pages: 1 2

[s] don't look back - Lila - Jan 31, 2021

Dated to 27th of January @Viorel

[dohtml]
I think there's a flaw in my code

It had taken some time, but she had a better map in her head. She could look at the mountain on this side and have a better idea of where she was heading. Most of all where the falls were when she was ready to make that climb. Those she could find with no trouble.

In her wanderings she'd noticed something. The Lore wasn't as quiet when she had first arrived. She had not only met wolves, but was finding there were trails left behind by quite a few others. She never followed them though, or not on purpose. There were still no obvious signs of established roots to worry about trespassing. She hadn't exactly encountered anyone dangerous either, but she knew how the odds worked. For every nice stranger they're had to be at least two jackasses. If not more, and there had to be one nasty brute. There always was.

It wasn't wolves she was thinking of at the moment. She had found the signs of beaver, and she saw no harm in following its trail to its home. They were sitting ducks if they weren't in the water. Apparently, he'd already beat her to his dam because she trotted all the way there and didn't see the creature. She could wait, wasn't like she had any other promising signs of lunch. So she found a spot a little ways back behind some lonely rocks, where she figured they shouldn't be able to catch her scent, nor hopefully see her right off.

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Viorel - Feb 03, 2021

[dohtml]

She said, "See you later, boy"

Viorel had been making it a habit of ‘patrolling’ the areas near where their future pack would be. He was trying to get an idea of the prey patterns, what the nearby territories held that might come in handy in the future. So far things had been mostly quiet and uneventful, minus the giant sinkhole that he had happened upon. Today he was following the creekbed north, yellow eyes scanning the water for any sign of fish, he had a hankering.

His search had brought him almost all of the way back to the beaver dam where he and Vayko had decided they would shift their focus from searching from home to building something new. The thought brought an absent minded smile to his dark face, this is where everything had started. Viorel’s faint smile was still present when he looked up and realized that he wasn’t alone at the dam. The scent of a loner caused his nostrils to flare, and the grin faltered a little. This wasn’t someone in their little group, or anyone that he recognized, was there someone else skulking around the creek?

Still, there was no point in assuming that the stranger was any threat, and a quick assessment of the area didn’t make their sight immediately known, they seemed to be alone. But, it was weird that he could smell what was clearly a lone female, and there was no sight of her. Viorel set to work, nose on the ground until he came across the stranger’s paw prints in the snow. Following them slowly, and hopefully loudly enough that he wouldn’t startle her he came across a small rocky mound. Standing on the opposite side of the rocks where he still could not see the stranger he chuckled, ”A bit of a weird place for a nap, no?” He remained where he was, the stranger had plenty of room to come out and talk to him, or take off in the opposite direction without any resistance.

He wasn't good enough for her

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Lila - Feb 05, 2021

[dohtml]

Unfortunately, there were no signs of anyone leaving. This was all bad timing, they'd probably be in there till tomorrow. Did she invest more time or quite? She was having that debate when the scent of a younger wolf reached her nostrils. Definitely male. He didn't have trouble finding her, clearly amused by her choice of camouflage."If I was napping, maybe," she answered, a lightness to her voice. He had a dark coat with a lot of silver ticking, even white on his face that made it her to discern his age to the exact number. His stark, yellow eyes made it clear he wasn't high on the age scale. They weren't cloudy by years."It probably would be a better idea actually. Pretty sure the beavers are tucked in for days." She'd been sitting waaay too long, and might as well see what this guy was about. She had an inkling it wasn't the beavers he'd been seeking. Hey, he got points for not sneaking around. Though, that wasn't always a good sign either.

Standing up, she began to stretch her legs, slowly stepping out from her hiding spot. She raised her neck, shook at her coat, and gave a sigh of relief. "Damn, that wasn't worth it. I probably would have had better luck catching a fish." She wasn't the best at it, because fish weren't her favorite to eat but they were a little easier to find and grab than a rabbit. "You a fisher?" She'd clearly wasted time, and did not need to waste more. He'd understand that or he wouldn't. No skin off her nose. Why she could live another day without dinner, she didn't exactly want to try to have a conversation with this guy with her stomach commenting either. Then she realized he wasn't a loner like her. Or at least maybe like Chan he wasn't alone. She kept any hint she'd noticed off her face. She feigned looking at the beaver dam, as she checked again there wasn't anyone else around. There was no hint of malice, but checking for threats was habit of sorts.

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Viorel - Feb 05, 2021

[dohtml]

The Valle teen was pleased that the stranger didn’t just take off in the other direction like a bat out of hell, and instead came out to face him. Grinning at her response he nodded, ”Well, I guess you’ve got me there, you were just so still I could have sworn you were asleep.” Now that she was no longer shrouded by the rock he was able to take in her physique, mostly dark pelt, taller than him but not as husky, been alone for a while but certainly well kept. She could stand her own, clearly. Glancing back towards the dam that she mentioned he huffed, ”Yeah, I’ve been checking that dam every few days and I’ve yet to catch them outside of it. If it didn’t reek to the mountain top I would be convinced they’d abandoned it.” After all, why hadn’t he even seen a fleeting glimpse of the aquatic rodent?

The mention of a fsh reminded Viorel of what he had actually been looking for, a nice seafood - or freshwater he supposed - dinner. He had plenty of practice hauling fish out of the rivers of the estuary, and even some of the easier to catch ocean ones. What he really missed was digging for clams, but he wouldn’t know until the spring if he would be lucky enough to find any of those around here. He doubted it.

Glancing back towards her the teen grinned widely, ”As a matter of fact, you’re talking to an expert fisherman.” Gesturing lightly with his muzzle he elaborated, ”But, if you’re looking for the best catch you’re going to want to keep following the creek north a little ways.” Without wait for a response Viorel began walking the way that he had gestured towards. Still walking he looked over his shoulder, ”Well stranger, are you coming?” He was going to catch himself a fat one either way.

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Lila - Feb 08, 2021

[dohtml]

"Almost." It wouldn't have been a bad idea either, expect he'd proved why. She would have been found asleep. Something she saw as dangerous and stupid. "Glad I'm not the only one. But, winter makes ya desperate for anything right?" The idea of eating one was hardly appealing, but on your own it you couldn't afford to be picky. Right now even a stinky beaver sounded delicious. Fresh meat always was. Did he only have a sibling or mate so he was also looking for something easy? Two wolves could get a deer if the odds were right, but she hadn't come across one of those either. Perhaps him and his companion weren't that experienced. With some time she bet she could glean information from him.

A smirk couldn't be held back by such a comment.  "Lucky me, maybe this day hasn't been a waste after all. I'm definitely no expert, and could use some pointers." So, he knew of a better spot. He must have been around here longer than she'd been. She'd bet he'd also grown up with a lot more water if fishing was his specialty. When he began to walk off she had a moment of hesitation, her heartbeat racing. But Lila was tired of being afraid because of old things that had happened. She wasn't going to run like when she'd smelt the smoke. It's not a trap, she told herself. She was going to fish, and figure out if he was living around here. Who he was keeping for company.

"Well yeah! Not everyday an expert fisher finds ya." She, quickened her pace, eager to get to this fishing spot. Viorel had a few similar characteristics to the last fisher who'd found her, and she weirdly she felt like it was a sign she'd be ok. Even if at the same time, thinking of @Mako made her hurt too. Ok, maybe this wasn't going to be easy in any way, but when did that stop her?

Once more for distraction, and the need to know she decided like with Aleister she'd spring a question. "So how does one became such a great fisher? Especially at your age?" She had a vague idea, but was interested in the details. Besides if she could get him talking about himself he could always fill in more, giving her less to press for.

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Viorel - Feb 09, 2021

[dohtml]

Vorel nodded vaguely at the comment about winter making you desperate. Sure, food was harder to come by with the snow and the cold, but he was lucky enough to have a small band of wolves with him. There was certainly enough of them to take down a deer whenever they happened upon one of the herds. Still, he was more than happy to teach this stranger something about fishing, his roots still having him deeply convinced that the best food was aquatic. Thankfully, they were even easier to catch in the winter, if you could find open water that wasn’t frozen over.

The teen was surprised when he looked over his shoulder and the woman was still standing there instead of following readily. Alright, so she was cautious, noted. Thankfully, she didn’t hesitate long and was quickly caught up to him as he followed the creek northwards. ”Okay, so you’re no expert fisher, but do you at least have a name?” The words were light, they had reached a fork in the creek and he was very purposefully taking the one that would lead them away from their future pack lands. It would be stupid to show their future home to this stranger and tell her it’s great fishing and expect her not to drop by next time she’s hungry.

Ears pricked at her question and an easy grin sprawled across his salt and pepper muzzle ”Well, that’s easy. I grew up on the coast, started learning to fish as just a little pup. These river fish are nothing compared to the salty ones we used to catch in the ocean.” He missed them, the salty fish, about ten trillion times better than the river ones.

His paws didn’t slow until he came across what he was looking for. A small pool off to the side of the stream with enough current it hadn’t frozen but still enough to easily look through. And, thankfully the tell tale little ripples of something moving inside. Smiling widely he turned to the woman, ”You ever done this before?’

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Lila - Feb 15, 2021

[dohtml]

It wasn't just the fishing she was saving for later. It was where they were headed in case she'd need it later. She still wasn't positive she would stay with the mountain wolves, and fishing she could do alone. Why she knew spots well in the east, again it wasn't something she was certain about either.

"Lila Aquila," she answered with no more trepidation. They might run into each other again. He seemed quite at ease here, as if maybe he'd found what he wanted. Or for now didn't have good reason to wander further in winter. "What about you?" She didn't think a mother would call a kid fish or after one, but she'd heard stranger things.

She could see the pride for his home in his look. The lady wouldn't hold that against him. Meant there was something decent about it, but it made her wonder why he'd put it behind him. "I've never been, but from what I've heard makes me wish I had. You'll have to show me how big these ocean fish are, tell me your favorite part of your ocean." The way she'd understood it, it was vast water that stretched further than the eye could see. There were huge waves that surpassed the ones a single lake made, even on a stormy day. An idea she could picture, but not quite comprehend.

She eyed his chosen spot, seeing why he'd picked it. At least they wouldn't have to break through a lot of ice, and she could see there were fish inside. Would getting a little cold pay off? She figured with his help it was worth the risk. She'd learn a long time ago, you could never stop learning. Maybe he had a totally different technique."I have in my past, but most of those conditions were a lot warmer. I bet you have your own way of doing it."

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Viorel - Feb 16, 2021

[dohtml]

Lila Aquila, the name was new to him, but he made careful note to remember it. Everyone here was new to him, but it would do him good in the long run to try to remember as many names and strangers as possible as they planned to be around for a while. Glancing towards her with an easy grin on his face he answered simply, ”Viorel Valle,” back home that would have meant something, but he had already learned that here it wouldn’t get him too far. At least, not yet. Once the pack got up and going it might be a different story, but for now the Valles were just no names.

Humming in response to her request he thought hard about what his favourite part of the coast was, but had trouble narrowing it down. ”Well, it’s hard to describe, but when you’re on the beach you can see where the world ends. You look out and all you can see is water, and waves forever and nothing else, nobody who ever swam out that far ever came back. I don’t know what happens at the edge but I always figured it must be like a big drop off or something.” Shrugging his shoulders casually, he explained, ”Yeah, I don’t know. Looking out at the end of everything like that just reminds you that whatever problems you have aren’t that big of a deal in the long run you know?” There was a lot more about the coast that he loved, but that was his favourite.

Grinning widely he laughed, ”Well the biggest fish I ever saw was called an orca, and it was about four times longer than you, but we didn’t fish for those ones obviously.” Viorel was pretty sure if it really came down to a fight between a wolf and an orca, the fish would win every time. But, now it was time to get serious and get them some lunch going. Walking up slowly to the edge of the pool he was pleasantly surprised to see a few fat salmon who had gotten stuck and hadn’t found their way back into the mainstream. ”Okay, so the key is to stand as still as possible, and then when one gets close to you grab it as quick as you can, because they’re fast and slippery if you don’t have a good grip.”

Watching them panic and begging to flip all about as his toes feathered the edge of the water, Viorel waited. It took a minute or two before they finally settled, resuming their slow clockwise circuit of the pool. And then he struck. Tossing the still flopping fish out onto the snowy earth, he announced victoriously, ”Like that! Now, it’s your turn.”

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Lila - Feb 25, 2021

[dohtml]

His name was pretty unique. It reminded her of a different language she'd heard once upon a time. He didn't have the same kind of accent, maybe it was just that smooth, and lilting. "What do your friends call you?" She was curious if any cut the name short or he might even go by something else entirely. It was a different way to see more about who was keeping him company.

The world's end. It was a unique description of something she'd never witnessed, nor heard of before. She would almost tease he was pulling her leg, but she didn't sense that with the look on his face. Especially what it made him feel like. "Makes me wish it was closer to here. Definitely a rare feeling." The closest thing she could picture was standing on a mountain. Even then she hadn't thought she was on the edge of anything. She'd never stood long enough. There had never been a place to make her problems feel small.

"Sheesh. I mean I guess we wolves hunt things bigger than us, but a fish like that sounds a bit terrifying." What did they eat? She wasn't sure she'd feel safe being in the ocean with something like that. Maybe, it was good reason she wasn't a sea wolf. Keeping up, she stood beside him as he gave clear instruction. She remembered the bit about staying still, and how slippery they could be. These ones looked pretty good sized too and she wondered if she'd be able to keep a hold. While she didn't mind not being in the water, she wondered if she'd be able to grab one without falling in. Viorel made it look quite easy. She knew better than that.

After his success, letting out a deep breath, she eased a bit closer, waiting for the fish to settle again. When the opportune moment came she reached out, striking the fish, but not deep enough it smacked her jowl and jumped back in. With a huff blowing the water from her nose, she waited and tried again. This time ignoring the icy cold touch, her fangs in deep. She a step back from the water, biting hard to get the fish to stop moving but it only seemed to make it wiggle harder shaking her jaw. She was hesitant to just let it go.

[/dohtml]

RE: [s] don't look back - Viorel - Feb 26, 2021

[dohtml]

What a curious question, he couldn’t think of another time that somebody had outright asked him if he had any nicknames. He liked her, she thought differently than the average wolf. Glancing at her with a hint of surprise he answered, ”Usually if anyone shortens my name they just call me Vi.” He would have asked her the same question in return but he was pretty sure it would be a challenge to shorten Lila anymore, unless they just called her Li. And it seemed like it would be kind of insulting to call someone lie so he dropped it. Usually if he wanted to give someone a nickname he just called them by their last name.

A sad, wistful smile spread across his salt and pepper face, ”Yeah, I wish we were closer too.” The words were out of his mouth before he had even registered them in his brain. Clearing his throat in embarrassment that he had just said something so raw out loud to someone who was practically a stranger, he was happy for the topic change. Nodding dramatically he expanded, ”And they sing, kind of like wolves when they howl but different. They almost sound like ghosts.” When Viorel had been a pup their songs had frightened him, but now he almost missed their ghost howls. He was definitely more homesick than he thought that he was going to be.

The yearling stepped out of the way and retrieved his own fish which was slowly beginning to lose it’s energetic flopping. Reclining into a sphynx position he held it carefully in his paws, but didn’t latch into it quite yet. If Lila had been unsuccessful in her attempts to catch her own he would have happily shared his own, and after her first attempt it seemed this would be the case. However, she wasn’t ready to give up yet and when she came out of her second try with a fat flopping fish in her mouth the teen jumped to his paws. His own fish had already ceased to move and lay listlessly in the snow and his cheers echoed around them.

After a moment of celebration he settled back down with his own catch. Grasping it firmly in between his paws again he smiled, ”The head is the best part, the rest is good too, but seriously start with the head.”

Once they had both finished their splendors Viorel glanced upwards and noticed the time. Standing, he shook his pelt out casually, ”Well Lila, it was a pleasure fishing with you today. But, I’d better be heading off now.” With a grin he turned, ”I’ll see you around Aquila.” And then he was off.

[/dohtml]

FADE