Ruins of Wildwood
Lost Lake Old dog, new tricks - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore XI (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Lost Lake Old dog, new tricks (/showthread.php?tid=19924)

Pages: 1 2

Old dog, new tricks - Nash - Aug 03, 2021

For @Moonshadow<3

It was a hot day. The entire summer had been hot, but today, with Nash's thick, dark coat, he was simply sweltering. Instead of his usual activity, he'd spent his time hiding away in the shade and trying not to move too much. As the day progressed and the sun grew higher, it got hotter and finally, shortly after the sun had reached its peak, Nash decided to head to the lake. A cool drink of water would do him good, and, now that he thought about it, seemed like an efficient way to cool down. He could even do some fishing while he was there.

He sighed with relief as he waded into the chilly waters. The nice thing about living on a mountain was that their lake was made of snowmelt and remained a reasonably cold temperature throughout the year.

Nash gleefully lapped up his fill of water before wading further out to allow the chill to seep all the way through his fur before returning to shallower water and turning his eye to fishing.

He felt like he'd been standing still for ages when a fish large enough to bother with came within range. Or, Nash thought it was within range. He lunge for it, and when the thing darted away he clumsily chased after it, paws kicking up sand and silt and clouding the water. His paw caught on something and, too deep to have any real control of his body now, Nash tumbled below the surface, then came up spluttering, far enough out that his paws no longer touched the bottom. Annoyed, he began his swim back toward shore.

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Moonshadow - Aug 04, 2021

[dohtml]

I think I need help, cuz I'm drowning in myself

A dark coat draws in heat and in the winter that was a good thing when one could find a patch of sun to lie in. However, at the height of summer when the sun was always out, proved to not be as nice. Moonshadow had decided to escape the heat by napping within the cool earth of the communal den. Sleep had not come easy for the aging woman and she laid there for a while before deciding that a dip into the lake would be a better bet.

Exiting the den, the heat hit her like a wave. The inky woman gave her dark pelt a good shake and her limbs a good stretch before heading towards the lake. She moved and at an easy pace and when the sound of splashing reached her silver dusted audit she picked up her pace. She reach the clearing just in time to see the dark form of Nash disappear beneath the surface. She stopped abruptly concern written all over her features. But as quickly as he was gone he popped back up and she laughed. As he sawm back to shore she trotted to meet him "Its a good day for a swim huh?" she laughed reaching the water line.

Word Count: 000

[/dohtml]

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Nash - Aug 04, 2021

It was a good thing Nash was not afraid of water and knew how to swim, because he was further from shore than he thought he was. Fortunately, his paws touched sand before long and he was able to slog his way back up. The sound of his mother's laugh and affectionate question brought his head up and his ears back in embarrassment.

"Saw that, huh?" he mumbled, shaking out his pelt as close to her as he could get so she could get wet as well. Serves her right for laughing. But then, she had come out to meet him in the water. She was probably hot too.

"Was trying to fish," he admitted, looking back out over the water in frustration. "I never was any good at it."

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Moonshadow - Aug 04, 2021

[dohtml]

Her silver dusted banner wagged happily behind her as Nash approached shore. He mumbled that she saw that before shaking out his pelt near her. "Hey!" she laughed stamping her paws to splash water back onto him. Two could play that game.

Their antics died down momentarily as the youngest Eastfall man admitted that he was trying to fish and that he was never very good at it. Moon let out another chuckle as she splashed him once more. "Well makin' all that racket isn't gonna help." she teased as she stepped further into the water slowly, allowing the cool water to make its way to her skin. "Ya gotta be slow 'n quiet."

[/dohtml]

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Nash - Aug 04, 2021

Nash couldn't help a short laugh as his mother splashed him back. It was good to see her enjoying herself still. She looked younger when she laughed. Nash worried about her.

He followed when she waded further out, and this time he watched his paws to avoid disturbing any more silt than he already had. Hopefully it would settle quickly when they stopped moving.

"I tried that," he complained. "I always try that. But I just can't seem to actually catch anything!" if he sounded petulant, Nash decided to ignore it.

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Moonshadow - Aug 05, 2021

[dohtml]

There were two reasons why she moved her large inky frame moved deeper into the cold water. Not only to cool off but to reach the environment of their prey. She lowered herself into the water so that her body was submerged and she chuckled as her youngest empathized that that he had tried being slow and quiet but never seemed to be able to catch anything. She turned towards him slowly still submerged "For how long?" she asked her tone only slightly teasing. Fishing required more patience that hunting prey that could run. She stood back up careful to only make minimal waves. Her mercury gaze met his emerald and motioned for him to stand next to her.

Turning back around to face the center of the lake her eyes scanned the water below. "Ya gotta be patient 'n allow the fish to come to ya." she explained in hushed tones.

[/dohtml]

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Nash - Aug 05, 2021

Nash's ears flicked at the teasing tone in his mother's voice, but he didn't argue. Instead he watched her dip herself into the water, then moved up to stand beside her as she instructed.

"I do wait for them," he said, still petulant. "I just can never catch them!" he resisted the urge to stamp a foot; the water was finally clearing up and he didn't want to cloud it with more silt kicked up from the bottom.

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Moonshadow - Aug 06, 2021

[dohtml]

She stifled her laugh as to not scare what fish were brave enough to still be by. Luckily the silt had settled most of the way down allowing the visibility to improve significantly. "Would ya like to try again 'n I can give ya suggestions or I can show ya how I do it." The ebony mother asked her tone hushed as to allow their prey to think it is safe to swim near them. She was curious to see how he fished and was reminded of her first morning in the cove. When @Kajika had helped her perfect her self taught technique. The aging woman missed her best friend and hoped that he and his family were safe and happy.

[/dohtml]

RE: Old dog, new tricks - Nash - Aug 06, 2021

His mother was keeping quiet, but Nash could see her amusement sparkling in her silver eyes. He flattened his ears momentarily, but he couldn't really be mad at her. He could never be mad at his mother. When she spoke and offered to teach him how to fish, her voice was quiet, and Nash realized she was scanning the water for fish and trying not to scare them. He followed her example. "Fine," he murmured, "but don't expect it to work. I'm just not a fisher."

And yet he kept trying.

Nash stilled, careful to not allow even his tail to wag beyond the tug of the gentle currents. So far so normal. He watched for any fish big enough to eat that might stray near enough to nab. A couple of small ones darted around his legs, but they were hardly the size of one of his teeth, let alone enough to fill a belly.

Finally, a promising quarry made its slow, cautious way through the water. Nash tensed, glancing out of the corner of his eye at his mother. He didn't dare speak now; what if he scared it away? Should he pounce now, or wait for it to get closer? What if it decided to go the other way? He prepared to spring, even though it was still a full body-length away.

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Aug 06, 2021

A young Bull Elk has gotten separated from its herd. Hunt opportunity! +10 Health