Ruins of Wildwood
i've got a love but it's not mine - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore XII (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=187)
+---- Thread: i've got a love but it's not mine (/showthread.php?tid=19970)

Pages: 1 2 3

i've got a love but it's not mine - Leviticus - Aug 30, 2021

Random Event: Leviticus, a vulture appears to have started following you, waiting to scavenge food. AW w/ a special mention to @Alarick if you're still in the area!

There was a stark difference between the Levi that had woken and set out as the sun began to set and the one that had first entered the blood-red ferns months prior. Back was a healthy measure of both mass and muscle, a luster to his coat and eyes, and that smile all but permanently affixed to his muzzle once again.

Almost as if this past year hadn't happened at all. Of course, that wasn't accurate; within his mind and heart, much had shifted and morphed.

The canopy overhead broke as he walked, and the sun shone down brightly. It brought a welcomed warmth, his Southern origins giving him an advantage against what was for this area an unusually-heated Summer. Leviticus slowed for a jaunt to enjoy the temperature. As he soaked up the rays, something cast a shadow which drifted in and out of the hallway of sunlight. Green eyes lifted to spy a large bird circlng high up in the air.

A vulture.

Levi twisted his head sideways, briefly curious before he understood; the scavenger was expecting him to hunt. Long teeth poking out as he smiled upward, Levi spoke out loud to his impromptu companion.

"Alright then, let's find something to eat!"

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Alarick - Aug 30, 2021

Following his meeting with the rather generous fellow, Alarick had not ventured terribly far. Too many weeks had been spent futilely attempting to find some sign or trail belonging to Isomne, but there was nothing. The hunter had already come to terms with the fact that he’d never see his family again. A realization that still pained him, but had been lessened somewhat by the companionship and conversation Isomne had provided. He hadn’t thought he’d lose her so quickly, though.

That left the former hunter facing down another troublesome decision. Did he move on? If he did leave, where would he go? Back to that pack, maybe. Offer his services to them? The idea of remaining in one spot with them was not unappealing. It was the sort of life he would’ve preferred, but when he considered the string of events that brought him here - would settling down be wise, or even.. possible? Or was he meant to keep wandering? What if the creatures that had captured brought him here took him again? Worse - what if they’d taken Isomne?

There were too many troubling feelings and questions, but no answers. He was fatigued, and for perhaps the first time in his life, he felt lost. Uncertain, and without a true sense of hope.

It was a baser form of instinct that carried him through the dense forest, now, his steps not quite as deliberate or quiet as they usually were. He continued pausing as he always did to check for scents or trails, half aware of the steadily waning daylight and the ever-present need to eat. Finding food, at least, hadn’t been too difficult. That was perhaps the one good thing he seemed to have going for him, at the moment.

- @Leviticus don’t wanna have Al notice him too soon, but better believe imma hop on this! Kinda ironic how their outlooks have reversed somewhat since the first thread.

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Leviticus - Sep 09, 2021

With the declaration made, the pact had been solidly formed in the young wolf's mind. After all, it's not like he was starving, not anymore. Sharing with another species wouldn't bother him one bit. His nose scanned for prey and his paws took him deeper into the forest of ferns. There were plenty of tiny rodents and birds flittering about, but nothing bigger than a single mouthful was within his awareness.

Until he crossed something familiar and distinctly wolfish.

Levi stopped in his tracks, head twisting once more to display his intrigue. The scent was familiar, but he couldn't immediately place it.

"Sorry, just, real quick," he spoke up to the sky, apologizing to the vulture that soared high above. Levi would need to take a detour; he wanted to know who this was. The crimson plants parted around his lean frame as he shifted off the predator-worn path in search of the unnamed wolf.

It took a few moments to locate him, but when Levi's mossy green eyes rested upon the agouti pelt, recognition lit within.

"Alarick?"

The man's name was spoken tentatively; he... he didn't look well. Concern creased Leviticus' features.

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Sep 09, 2021

You've come across an unattended nest full of eggs, do you like them scarmbled or fired? +5 Health

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Alarick - Sep 13, 2021

What little breeze there was, happened to be at his back. Typically, the former hunter took pride in his attuned senses, but they were off, as of late. As a result, he didn’t notice the other until the distinct sound of rustling leaves and brush parting alerted him. By the time he turned to look, the other was speaking. There was just one word, though.

His name was spoken by the other, but it was enough. ”Levi,” he breathed, morale lifting merely at the sight of someone he knew. Even more so when he saw how good the younger man looked. Fit, and healthy - a stark contrast when compared to the first time they had met. It took him a short while to note the look of concern the other wore.

Alarick wondered, did he really look that bad? There was no denying what he felt, but he hadn’t thought the feelings would project so easily upon his countenance. He’d need to fix that. The thoughts were fleeting, though. He couldn’t suppress a toothy grin, setting forth to greet the other with a little nudge, all other concerns pushed aside for the moment.

”You look good. It is wonderful, to see you again.” Al had spent many a night wondering about the individual standing before him now, hoping he’d found the will to carry on. He had, and now Levi looked to not only be surviving, but flourishing.

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Leviticus - Oct 13, 2021

Levi stared while the man acknowledged him, lips faltering upward as they vainly attempted to mirror the other's smile. The emotions dwelling within his chest conflicted with one another; true happiness that yet another of his simple wishes had been granted unable to overwhelm the sadness that he felt to see that time had not been as kind to Alarick as he'd deserved. Still, the other wolf moved to greet him as though nothing were wrong.

He hated that his eyes were stinging once again. Squeezing them shut, Leviticus pressed forward into the man's gesture, nuzzling his crown against his chest. Once again their conversation focused on him, and that immediately felt wrong.

"Thanks to you," he murmured into Alarick's fur before pulling away and looking up at him, tail sweeping back and forth quickly overtop the ground. His posture had naturally relaxed into a respectful crouch, while his beryl eyes expressed adoration.

"I prayed I'd see you again."

To thank him, to show him the difference he had made. Levi had been spiraling when Alarick first happened upon him, and it had only been the other man's presence that had jostled him from that course and stopped him from hitting the bottom. What could he do now to repay that?

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Alarick - Oct 15, 2021

The former hunter was pretty sure he saw the figure of a smile crossing the other’s countenance before they touched in greeting. Levi’s head was tucked against his chest for a short while, and he spoke a soft thanks that Alarick briefly considered protesting, but thought better of. Instead, the hunter pressed his nose into the other’s nape, finding this sensation of touch and warmth, and being close to a friend most welcoming. It was something Alarick found he most dearly missed about living with family.

After a moment, the hunter noted that Levi had lowered himself down a bit, and perhaps because of the affection and reverence reflected in them, also discovered the distinct green color of the other’s eyes. They seemed to sparkle, surely in contrast to his plain, boring, brown irises.

But it was Levi’s words that stood out most, namely one, that brought a surge of pleasant warmth to the hunter’s countenance. Blinking away tears of happiness that threatened, the hunter sat back, finding for some reason his limbs felt too weak to hold him all of the sudden. ”I.. prayed for it, too. I’m happy you made it. That it’s you’re here, now.” Alarick spoke softly, trailing off at that. There were almost no other words that he could think of, that seemed appropriate right now.

He’d lost his family, and then lost Isomne after only a short while spent traveling together. There was no way to possibly speak of the joy he felt, to see the only other friend he had in this lonely place again.

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Leviticus - Nov 07, 2021

Levi's tail snaked along the ground in a subdued wag at the brightening of Alarick's tired features, but it certainly wasn't enough to erode his concern. Made it. The words stuck without his noticing in the moment. The implications of his friend's state, that was far more apparent. Quite pressing, in fact.

"... you haven't found them yet?" he asked, and had to bite his tongue to not follow up the query with blind assurances. It was his first impulse to tell the other wolf that if Levi could find River, Al was all but guaranteed to see his family again. Slowly but surely, however, the younger wolf was learning to fight against such naïve assumptions. His gut had been wrong far too many times. He couldn't assume he knew Alarick's story.

Levi sidled forward and settled at the other man's side. Turned to face the same way, he scooted closer until their flanks touched and he could easily support his friend's weight if he needed a literal shoulder to lean on.

"What do you need?"

Food, water, shelter or just an ear, the young Armstead was here for Alarick.

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Alarick - Nov 13, 2021

Although the demeanor of his friend seemed to shift somewhat, his expression of concern did not fade away entirely. Levi posed a question, one that Alarick assumed he likely knew the answer to already, with the tone of his words and that troubled countenance. The former would provide an answer to it, anyway, coming first in the form of a weak shake of his head.

”No. And I do not believe I will.” It was surprisingly easy to admit aloud, and done with little emotion. It was a fact that had to be accepted. ”I have no way of figuring which direction or how far I'd have to go, to get back, or what obstacles would await, even if I could ascertain where my family is, from here.” He still didn’t know what the creatures that had taken him were, either - or if they’d even let him go back home, were he to somehow choose the right path.

Alarick could only assume they’d dropped him here for a reason, if only he could gather what that was. Levi settled alongside of him, providing warmth and an assuring touch. Something that permitted the hunter to relax a little. His friend posed another inquiry after that. There were many things an individual could say in response to that, but one thing was far above the rest.

”A purpose.” With that, everything else would fall into place. It was what he needed the most.

RE: i've got a love but it's not mine - Leviticus - Dec 13, 2021

Levi's ears lowered down against his skull at the confirmation. Poor Alarick, was nearly all he could think, only able to attempt to imagine what it would be like to walk in his tracks. It only got worse, the man's words making plenty of sense. However, Levi had lost River's trail long ago and still ended up finding him. If only he knew why, then maybe he could help his friend. Fate, chance, prayer, karma; he couldn't claim to know what moved the world.

Still, when that final answer was spoken, he could no longer fight his nature to offer some kind of wishful-thinking-style positivity. 'A purpose.' He knew the struggle well, of needing to find that drive outside of one self. If only it were easier to live just for oneself.

"... ya think they're looking for you too, prob'ly? I'm sure they're hoping that you're okay. That you're, safe, and... taking care of yourself. What... what purpose would you want for them?"

Levi's voice was soft, tentative- he wasn't used to being in a situation such as this, wasn't a wolf normally entrusted with things that mattered or even listened to extensively. There certainly wasn't a single bone in him that felt he was in the position to tell Alarick what he was supposed to do now. More than anything, he hoped dearly he just didn't say something wrong.