Ruins of Wildwood
Fool's Gold Chasm it all falls fast - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore XII (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=187)
+---- Thread: Fool's Gold Chasm it all falls fast (/showthread.php?tid=20835)

Pages: 1 2

it all falls fast - Woya - Jun 19, 2022

for @Isomne only.

Woya was enjoying another blissfully still and quiet moment amongst the chaos of motherhood. They'd managed to round up the younger children and convince them to rest in the dark cool of the den while the twins, grown past such tolerance, wrestled with one another within sight of their foster parent. They were hardy girls, already fiercely independent. If anything, Woya had come to learn she needed to be wary of them as they used their age to roughly push around their siblings. Still, she was just as proud of them as those that carried her and Adelard's blood.

Anya let out a particularly pained yelp and the dozing mom lifted her head briefly to make sure things had not gotten out of hand. Sovanya had apparently recovered quickly, as she now held the advantage over Addy and was in the process of thoroughly pinning her. Woya smiled, wistfully thinking of her friend and what they could have been sharing just now had the drought not stolen her away from them all. With a sigh, she shook her head to rid herself of the thoughts before pushing herself up onto her haunches. It was time for a distraction.

Woya pointed her muzzle to the sky and called out for their newest member. It was long overdue that she come to know the other a little better.

RE: it all falls fast - Isomne - Jun 20, 2022

Is had been at the outskirts of the territory she now called home, quietly tracing her way down a thin game trail that had been pointed out to her shortly after joining. She had no specific duties yet, other than to be of help, and she'd supposed that filling the pack's larders would be both helpful, and give her a chance to get to know the lay of the land a little better. This was a strange place, full of unearthly colors and fractured earth. It would take some time to get used to things, but they were as enchanting as they were unfamiliar.

However, hearing the pack's matriarch call out for her, Isomne realized with a pang of defeat that she would probably be keeping her lady waiting as she made her way back from here, and arriving emptyhanded. With a flick of her tail she set off, giving a brief call to let Woya know she was on her way. She tried to keep her nerves from rising as she made her way back toward the dens. This was not going to be a second round of auditions, was it? Either way, she was better off not fretting over the matter. She had hoped, too, to get to know her packmates, but so far she had had few opportunities to do so.

Upon arriving to the den area, Isomne was not quite sure how to greet Woya. The woman had seemed not to care for lengthy words upon their last meeting, and so Isomne chose to give a bow and glance up toward the other woman, keeping her own posture polite and deferent. "You called for me?" She spoke softly as to not rouse the pups anymore than they already were.

RE: it all falls fast - Woya - Jul 16, 2022

Woya might have minded the wait, had the other woman not called out. Able to gauge the relative distance between them, she took the time to stand and better stretch out her bones. When finished, she reclined once more, sandy eyes still on the tussling twins. She watched them until Isomne's footfalls could be heard, attracting her attention.

You called for me?

"Yeah, wanted ta talk for a minute," the matriarch answered, nonchalant in her disposition.

"How ya been?"

RE: it all falls fast - Isomne - Jul 27, 2022

The songstress let out a breath, seating herself, and gave a relieved smile. Woya's attitude was relaxed, as the pups rolled about, and Isomne tried to put her anxieties aside and allow herself to put her best foot forward in friendly conversation. She had dearly missed having anyone to chat with, but she'd always been taught to respect her leaders from afar, and it was hard to ignore that even now. She swallowed to clear her throat before speaking.

"I'm settling in well enough. The chasms are strange, but beautiful." She offered in answer. "I'm still trying to learn my way around, anyway. Are the pups growing well?" From a distance, all seemed well, though she knew there had been a rough start involved for some of them, still she wished them the best in their futures.

RE: it all falls fast - Woya - Aug 07, 2022

Isomne complied easily enough, settling in and carrying forth a conversation. Woya pulled her gaze from her foster children to watch the other woman speak, curiously analyzing the minute details of her features and disposition. Just when they'd needed them, two strangers had seemingly dropped from the sky to lend them extra paws. Maybe her predecessors had been right about spirits after all.

"Like ivy," she answered the self-titled bard's own query with ease. Despite the hurdles before them, the children had so far met each expected milestone and appeared perfectly healthy. Even little @Armand was keeping up, whose stunted stature had initially caused Woya particular concern.

"Took me a bit t'get accustomed t'the terrain too, ya know. Was used t'much flatter forests, n' wetcaves bein' fer bears."

If she were being blunt, she'd admit she'd rather disliked it. Of course, her bias had been pretty strong at the time. Never would Woya have dreamed she'd come to think of this place as home, much less lead its pack.

"You said you were what, a bard?"

RE: it all falls fast - Isomne - Aug 11, 2022

She appreciated that Woya was taking an interest in how she was settling in. Perhaps she was just being polite, but even simple polite conversation was  something Isomne did not take for granted. She gave the other woman a grateful smile. "I'm sure I'll feel quite at home soon," she assured her.

"Yes," Is's ears perked up at Woya's question, honeyed eyes glinting at the subject of her profession. She contemplated how best to sum it up for her leader, who had seemed unfamiliar with the term the last time they had spoken.

"I've trained to sing songs and tell tales," she began by trying to make a long story short. "I left home to see what stories the world held," she added with a bit of a self-conscious flush. It was something she held close to her heart. Why tell stories? To bring others together, to make sense of a world that was often far too senseless. Others might consider it a frivolity; to her it was a deep part of life. She wasn't sure she could express how she felt properly, but she hoped to be able to show it. The life of a bard was hardly all glory and song, though.

"Now that the pups are getting bigger, I'd be more than happy to help out with them, give you a chance to breathe," she tried to get back to the practicalities. Spending time entertaining, educating and keeping an eye on rowdy pups was certainly something the bard could manage.

RE: it all falls fast - Woya - Aug 26, 2022

Woya didn't know anyone who had made a profession out of singing, but she did know of wolves whose mission it was to carry on the traditions and stories of their pack and bloodlines.

"Like a historian," she mused aloud, not necessarily seeking confirmation but open to correction. That could certainly be useful, in fact she could already think of an assignment for the ivory lass...

Now that the pups are getting bigger, I'd be more than happy to help out with them, give you a chance to breathe.

Against her own will, her body tensed at the offer. @Adelard and @Enera were her pupsitters, and that was very much how Woya preferred it. That was a job for family, and- construction halted on the walls around her heart as she forced herself to clear her mind and take a breath. If she was going to see the Chasm not just manage but truly thrive she would need to give those who had given her a chance one in return.

"... I'm a first-time mom," she began, tentative to share but wanting to give Isomne reason to understand.

"I already had a hard time trustin' before, and when it comes to them..." there weren't really words to describe how protective she was over her children, and the farther she was from them physically the less control and influence Woya had on what happened to them.

"What kinda experience do y'have? Supposin' the bard business fits rather well with teachin' kids..."

Most of her education, outside of survival skills, had been imparted to her via tales and tunes. It was a familiar form of learning, and she wouldn't mind Isomne's worldly additions to her litter's repertoire.

RE: it all falls fast - Isomne - Aug 29, 2022

"Yes, stories and songs help to keep and share things that might otherwise be gone to the past," she nodeed in agreement, letting go of a little more of the tension she'd held. It was a relief that Woya understood, at least partially, what Isomne wished to do and that this what not simply a foolish whim.

At her next words, though, Woya tensed visibly, and Isomne dropped her ears back regretfully. It was easy to see she had overstepped herself by offering to help with the children, and she wished she could take the offer back, to tread softly away from that boundary she had crossed. But words were not like that, she well knew.

Her ears and gaze rose again, tentatively, as the other woman explained. "I understand," she responded quietly with a nod, and the stalled conversation sputtered to a start again.

"I've never been a mother, though I used to help out with my younger siblings, and the other pups, back home,"  Isomne went on in answer. It had been an open and trusting pack, raising the young communally, at least until shortly before Isomne had left. She still dearly missed that feeling of belonging, and she often had to remind herself that not everyone trusted so easily. "Teaching and keeping them entertained and out of trouble, mostly."  she took a breath and swallowed. Perhaps she had overstepped herself before, but she owed it to both her leader and herself to be clear about what she wanted, too. "I just want be of more help if I can, however you might see fit. Songs and tales aren't just for pups, anyway,"  She laughed gently, trying to ease the tone, and wondering what Woya might say.

RE: it all falls fast - Woya - Aug 29, 2022

At least Isomne did have experience. Woya's own parents had only had herself and Hudson, and so she'd never had the experience of younger siblings. Her first time caring for children had been her niece and nephews, and as much as she'd tried to be there Saga had of course still handled the brunt of parenthood. The tiny alpha was very lucky to have the help she did have with her large litter.

"I've got some ideas," she offered, not wanting Isomne to be discouraged.

"I wouldn't mind the help, really, I just... would rather see how y'handle the job myself first. Yer more than welcome to assist myself, @Adelard or @Enera in watchin' and teachin' 'em. I'd also like y'to work on collecting our stories, if yer up for it? There's three distinct bloodlines runnin' through this pack, and each have their own lore and myths. If y'could start with the Rayvne family's tales first, it'd be much appreciated."

RE: it all falls fast - Isomne - Sep 04, 2022

Isomne held her head up again as Woya spoke, trying to maintain un upbeat spirit. As the leader shared her idea, Isomne's smile returned and she felt her trepidations vanishing, or at least easing considerably.

Woya caution about her children and those she trusted them with was something Isomne could understand, truly. "I'll let them know they have my help if they want it," she hoped this was enough to make all parties feel comfortable moving forward.

And then, there was her secondary task. Collecting the histories and myths of the three distinct family lineages was a task the bard would be more than glad to take on. "And yes, gladly! I will learn all that I can, so the tales can be told on and on," her banner swaying as she spoke. It was more purpose than the traveling woman had in her life in some time, and she was grateful for the undertaking.