Ruins of Wildwood
Secluded Spring Where do I belong? - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore II (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+---- Thread: Secluded Spring Where do I belong? (/showthread.php?tid=2445)

Pages: 1 2

Where do I belong? - Sloane - May 26, 2012

He had been slowly making his way north in a rather winding path. He was a loner and so had no destination or purpose other than to care for himself and simply survive. The trouble was, ever since his encounter with Chantille, he had begun to speculate about what it would be like to belong to a pack once more. To have friends and company. On the other hand, as a loner he didn't need to worry about keeping his loved ones safe. He hadn't been able to do so with his birth pack and they had all eventually perished. He just shoved the fact that he'd really only been a pup at the time and gone for nearly a year after that to the back of his mind. Until he doled out the vengeance for the death of his father on the murdering usurper less than a year later. He had wandered westward from there and ended up in Relic Lore and now he was here, wherever here was. He had also run into the fae Volkan a short while ago and she too had him contemplating the possibility of joining a new family.

Did he want that responsibility? Was he ready for it? Although he'd barely been a yearling his father's lessons on honor, respect and responsibility were a part of him, just as surely as the bright amber eyes he also inherited from his sire. If he did find a pack, he would not take being a member lightly and so he could not take this decision lightly. He sighed and shook his head. So much to think about and not even a pack in sight!

A distinct scent brought him out of his inner musing with a snap. Well, that was fine timing! The cool breeze brought the strong smell of a well marked territory to him. He hadn't crossed the border, but he was quite close to it. Serendipity? There was a smooth flat rock nearby and he moved over to it and lay his large frame down on the cool stone, facing the border and waiting. For what he wasn't sure. For the answer to fall out of the sky and hit him on the head, he supposed. Tired of thinking about it, he lay his head down on his thick paws and forced himself to stop thinking and just relax, at least for a bit. The afternoon sun soon had him lulled to sleep and his bright eyes slowly drifted closed.

Where do I belong? - Aeylen - May 26, 2012

I'm going to assume Volkan is playing babysitter for this.

It had been only days since the shewolf had first left the confines of the secluded den that had been her makeshift home for several weeks. In retrospect, the pregnancy had been smooth, and the birth - or what she remembered of it - went as well as she could have hoped for. She and Ruiko's cubs were growing stronger, and hungrier, by the day; the caches were critically low, filled now with only smaller kills, which seemed to rot much faster. Having not laid an eye upon any of her wolves since she'd slipped from her mate's side that fateful night, she knew the time had come for her leave to end, but little did she know that the world she would return to was nothing of the one she'd left behind. A low growl resonated deep within her throat as her muzzle roved just above the earth, her senses in overdrive as she searched for anything that was familiar.

Nothing.

Despite her greatest efforts to return to any degree of normalcy, the was but one distinct thought - a dark memory - that plagued her mind. He'd never came. The proud king had never laid an eye upon his sons and daughter, not once. Initially it had been a minor let-down, she was sure he had his hands full keeping things intact while she existed, unfortunately, as she imagined a hermit would - tucked away, hidden, safe. But then the day had come to an end, and a new day followed, and to her first taste of dismay, another night without him ensued. Now, as she stood among the swaying grasses of her border, her once warm, honey eyes were stone cold, as if the life within them had simply vanished with him. Days upon days had passed since she'd last felt his touch, heard his voice, savored the smell that had once permeated their den and homeland, which had now all but faded along the edge of the Spring; this could mean only one thing. He had left.

The tawny female would inhale a deep breath as her brows came together distastefully, her eyes clenching shut as a new wave of pain spread throughout her chest. Had he gone to pursue Kinis, if he had clung to the notion that he could still be alive? Was he intercepted by their enemies, in the process or not? Did things he did not share with her exist, and if so, could those secrets have caused him to abandon her on the night she'd given birth? Was he even okay? The Onida female was resilient, perhaps more so now that she had an absolute reason other than herself to live. Three, actually, four counting the man who had become her rock and the patriarch of the Creek wolves. Deep within her aching heart, she knew they would be reunited soon. Ruiko would conclude whatever business had drawn him from her, and when she was least expecting it, there he would be, waiting for her like he always had...Right?

In the meantime, it was necessary that she reinforce the borders herself. Additionally, it was time to rally the few members who remained with her; she needed to reassure herself they were all unscathed, and healthy despite having carried the burden her pregnancy had placed upon them. Shaking her worries and wandering thoughts, her large, creamy paws carried her onward.

Patrol was usually uneventful, but some days she was amazed at things she managed to stumble upon. Though she had tracked only the scents of a literal couple of Creek wolves thus far, as the afternoon sun began to shift westward she would come across a fresh trail, canine, and novel. A loner, as it were, judging by the isolation of his signature, though she did pick up on a faded, female scent. Perhaps her efforts today were not in vain, and if he was not well on his way the hell away from her infant children, the creek would undoubtedly run red.

After a short time the leader eventually had the rogue in view, as he basked carelessly beneath the sunlight. Aggressively, if not silently, triangle ears pressed forward and she froze for a few moments to assess the situation. Luckily for her (and perhaps for him, as well), the trespasser was fast asleep. With predatory stealth she crept closer, getting a good look at him while passing her own subtle judgments. If only she had more time, he may have enjoyed his nap. The the facts were that she had no time, absolutely none, to waste.

"Wake up," she stated plainly as she stood before him where he lay, every inch as regal and threatening as she always had been. He would give her a reason for being here, or else suffer a fate much bloodier than any he could envision in his dreams.

Where do I belong? - Sloane - May 26, 2012

In his dreams he heard the rustling of leave and began to imagine that Chantille or even Volkan had chosen to follow him. That he was not alone any longer. Then, a firm and agitated voice broke through his slumber and told him to wake up. Scratch that, commanded that he wake up. His large head came up and his bright amber eyes landed on a large buff colored female, She was before him in an aggressive and quite regal stance. Instinct had him on his feet in a moment, head and tail high, ready should she decide to attack him.

The breeze carried her scent to him and it was one of pack and power. It was also one of motherhood. This was the leadess, it could be no other. Serendipity, indeed. Feeling foolish, now that he truly towered over the female, he carefully stepped back and off of his low perch. He was still quite a bit taller than her and she was not a small fae by any means. Now that they were on more or less level ground, and he knew who he was facing it seemed right to lower his stance, so he now carried his tail out behind him and lowered his head in a bow to her. He would not grovel, but he would give her the respect that she had obviously earned within her pack. He had already decided that should she attack him, he would run and appear cowardly rather than kill her. He would have no part in pups growing up without a mother. All of these thoughts flashed through his head in mere seconds and now he was ready to meet this grand lady properly.

He cleared his throat of the last vestiges of sleep and introduced himself. "Hello. I'm Sloane Thorben," he said simply in a deep smooth voice. His eyes never left her, taking in her beauty and regal manner, but never forgetting that she was on the defensive and she had pups to think of. A truly dangerous combination.

Where do I belong? - Aeylen - May 29, 2012

The slumbering brute awoke in such a flash that one could have mistaken him for having been bitten in the ass by a rattlesnake. She would give only a blink in response as he slid from his stone pedestal, head follwing her eyes as they scrutinizingly looked over every inch of the young man. He was tall, lanky, in a perfectly improprtionate way, as she thought most wolves of his age were, though she naturally was unaware of what his age actually was. All the same, he was very tall, and though she had to crane her head a bit to get a good look at him while he was standing, it wasn't something that she was unaccustomed to - after all, Ruiko was by far the largest wolf she had ever seen. An immediate show of respect pacified her disgruntled mood, and as the young giant introduced himself she would raise her head and narrow moderately curious eyes upon him.

"Sloane Thorben, you are dangerously close to a place you need not be," she replied, a smooth, scolding tone to her even voice. The statement was very much true, and had it been one of her guards on patrol, he most likely would have awoke to teeth rather than words.

"Aeylen Tainn," she offered. "What is your business here?" If there was none to be had, she'd make quick work of enforcing his departure.

Where do I belong? - Sloane - May 29, 2012

"What is your business here?" A very good question that he was unsure of how to answer. He was a loner on free lands, yet he was quite close to the borders of this Lady's lands. After repeating her query in his head several times a slightly confused look came over him. The usual urge to be on his way was lacking. He felt intrigued by this confident fae and her unknown pack. Her tone made it clear that he'd better have a good reason for being near her home and more importantly, her pups.

He decided that honestly would be the best policy. Perhaps she would say or do something that would give him some insight to his dilemma. With another respectful dip of his head he said, "A pleasure to meet you Lady Aeylen. I will be up front with you ma'am. It appears that I am at a crossroad in my life." Unsure of what more to say, he paused for a moment before continuing. I am a loner, yet I'm unsure if I want to remain one." Now he waited with bated breath to see what her response would be. Would she consider offering him a home or would she chase him off as an unwelcome rogue?

Where do I belong? - Aeylen - Jun 01, 2012

The shewolf certainly had not envisioned such an encounter would take place today. The sleepy rogue had no business in the Spring, after all, save for the youthful dilemma of life's uncertainty. She had been in a similar position before - it had been what had brought her to Relic Lore in the first place - and the fact that she believed she knew how he might feel lightened the weight of the situation. Though she was naturally suspicious, and for good reason, she listened openly to his next statement concerning his uncertainties. Here the boy was, sleeping on a rock in the middle of what would be nowhere, to him, wondering upon his life and future. The wheels in her head turned.

Given the recent disappearances and desertions, Copper Rock Creek was limited by all means. With the cubs growing mouths to feed, there was room for another, one who was able bodied, willing, and most importantly of all loyal. But this Sloane was, for now, a complete stranger, and for all she knew he could be a threat to her and hers. He carried no pack scent, and his naive honesty spoke to her half open, half dying heart. Perhaps, she could make time to get to the bottom of him.

"Why is that?" she asked with cunning, leaving all the room required of such an open ended question. Maybe there was more to the lost man than uncertainty.

Where do I belong? - Sloane - Jun 01, 2012

He had waited for her response, filled with concern and doubts and she had answered him with a brief yet complex question. "Why is that?" A very good question. Sloane mulled over it for a moment, deciding how to answer her properly. He had nothing to hide, but she was a strange wolf. To answer this he knew that he would have to tell her more of himself than any other was aware of. Something told him that now, finally, it was time to share of himself. His father's teaching, his life as a loner, the new friends he'd met recently.

"I suppose that there is a lot to the answer for your question, Lady Aeylen." He was going through all of the events in his life that had brought him to this crucial point in his young life, trying to decide what was pertinent. He realized that all of it was and he sighed. "I was one of three sons of Selik and Selena Thorben and our pack was strong and honorable. When I was almost a year old a renegade rogue band ambushed my sire, murdering him and taking his place a leader. They killed or chased off all of the males. My mother made me promise to live, so I ran." He hung his head for a moment, still ashamed of running away.

He shook the feelings of guilt away and continued his story, "I have been on my own since then and have done well as a loner, despite my youth. I had become content with the ways of a wanderer and saw no reason to change my status. Until I came to this region. I met some very nice wolves that have started me thinking about joining a pack." All of his encounters were going through his head. He had really enjoyed their company, but all of it had been brief since it was always time to move on. "I have found myself wanting something more. I don't take the decision lightly, for my sire raised me to take responsibility to heart and not to take any position in a pack for granted. When I join a pack, it will be with complete dedication." Well, there it was. His bright amber eyes met her own amber ones, hoping that she had some insight for him. He found himself hoping that she wouldn't send him away. He didn't know why, but he wished to stay with her longer.

Where do I belong? - Aeylen - Jun 15, 2012

I am very, very sorry that I have taken so long. :( I've added you to the ranks, welcome to CRC, and we are glad to have you!

Strong. Honorable. Responsibility. Heart.

All were words she had longed to hear, words and concepts that she valued. Sloane's answer had been windy and revealing, and as he spoke her honey glazed stare would sweep over his lips, taking in the look in his own eyes and in the same searching for truth. There was something heartwrenching about the brief tale, a story of loss and family and a desire to be better, to be more. Where he had been merely a sleeping boy in the wrong place at the wrong time, the leader saw in him more than she'd expected or given at face value.

Here and there she would nod, a reassurance that she had heard every word, and - strangely - in offering of some level of emotional support. In the back of her mind she knew it was foolish to spend such time in one place, like she were spinning her wheels when the kids were waiting for her (and how badly she wanted to get back to them), not to mention Ruiko. It was not until Sloane's story was told that he would gaze into her eyes, and within the amber depths there was a plea to be seen. He had not come out with it, whatever it was, but she was sure there was just something he was holding back...

There was not much on her mind by way of advice, for she believed that an individual must forge their own paths, teach and learn their own lessons, but there was something she could, and would offer - a home, a place within the ranks of the Copper Rock Creek dynasty. The young man was strong, sane, and not without a flame of determination within his golden stare. Something about him caught her attention, and in a second of judgment the shewolf decisively knew he belonged with her, if he chose.

"You've a strong mind and heart, young Sloane," she replied softly, taking in a good look at him as she pondered silently for a few moments. "If it is your desire to abandon rogue life, to dedicate yourself to the welfare and prosperity of my pack, my family, then I openly extend you an invitation to join our ranks...Let it be known that we live by a code of honor, of courage, and of respect. I will tolerate no desertion, or deception." It was then that the soft quality of her voice would fade, and her features would grow dark and coded. Death would be the only end to any who pledged faux dedication to the Creek wolves, and while she truly hoped the male would join her, the thought of past disloyalty and their dwindling numbers brought her blood to a boil.

Where do I belong? - Sloane - Jun 15, 2012

(No worries! I know that life can get crazy. Yay for Sloane... <3 )

The minutes ticked by and when she finally spoke it was not with any great insight to his life, but with compassion and strength. Her words settled on his ears and his mind spun slowly around the connotations of her invitation. She offered him a home, a purpose and a family that demanded loyalty. Suddenly, all of his earlier doubts and hesitations melted away. Some how it felt right to join the ranks of this lovely fae that somehow exuded strength and compassion perfectly intermingled.

Sloane could almost see his father nodding with approval from wherever he was. By the sound of it, this pack was very like the one that he had been born to and it seemed fitting and right that he be here. The words now came easily off of his tongue, "Lady Aeylen, it would be my honor to join your family. I promise to honor and protect them to the best of my abilities." He left it at that, not wanting to sound too forward. Now he looked to her, waiting for her to accept his words of dedication.

Where do I belong? - Aeylen - Jun 26, 2012

With a gentle grin and a warm smile the leader reached forth to mark her scent upon the young man who she believed would live up to his word. The spoken oath Sloane had offered was all she needed, or wanted to hear, aside from the voices of her children, who she guessed were frolicking with Volkan or Nina. She basked in the glory of the special moment she now shared with Copper Rock Creek's newest addition for only a few moments before the need to depart from the area began to tug at her.

"I believe you to be true to your word, Sloane. Come." It was time to return to the rocky outcropping she and so few others truly called home. Certainly Sloane must be ready for a good meal and some quality rest, and she was sure the others would be excited to have a new face around. Issuing a gentle nip beneath the tawny male's chin, the shewolf stalked quietly northward.