Ruins of Wildwood
Secluded Spring The Wanderer's Fence - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore II (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+---- Thread: Secluded Spring The Wanderer's Fence (/showthread.php?tid=2596)

Pages: 1 2

The Wanderer's Fence - Cessair - Jun 25, 2012

Relief washed through Cessair's limbs to learn that she had not insulted the older wolf. She still had a nagging fear in the back of her mind that she would be attacked if she ignited even a tiny spark of anger. Her relative comfort was short lived, though, when she perceived that mentioning a brother is what had caused the other wolf to react to strangely. Was she missing her brother too? Maybe losing him had something to do with all of those scars. Unable to control herself any longer, Cessair decided she must ask about them. She devised a different approach though, attempting to leave the brother subject so it could do no more harm. "I don't mean to be rude, but I see you have a lot of... scars. I'm new to this area, so I would like to know -- are many of the wolves around here very aggressive?"
Tensing her muscles, Cessair braced herself for the worst. If she offended golden wolf this time, she would get it for sure. What exactly did her mother do to make the rogue wolf feel an attack was necessary? Did she insult him like this? No, no; it was surely something that he did. Cessair figured her own mother would never do anything worthy of starting a fight. Would she? The edges of Cessair's unfocused vision began to darken. A wail rose in the distance, and she felt a hot breath of air on the back of her neck, as though a wolf were about to attack her...
"No!" The sound of her own voice caused Cessair to abruptly open her eyes. Back in reality, she forced her vision to focus on the golden wolf's nose so she wouldn't slip so easily into unconsciousness again. Figuring the other wolf had just witnessed her battling her own memories, she stood. "I'd better go..." One by one, Cessair lifted her seemingly weighted paws and began to sluggishly back up, without even waiting for a response to her previous question.

The Wanderer's Fence - Nina - Jun 25, 2012

Silence overwhelmed the two of them. But it wasn't too uncomfortable. Well, it seemed so for the other female. Nina was squirming, she didn't like bringing up her brother but when the girl asked about her scars and the land she couldn't refuse an answer. She spoke gently, "No. Most wolves around here are quite kind. My brother gave me all of these scars. It was family business." After she said it she mentally cussed herself. She was trying to forget about the horrid things her brother had done to her. At the moment. . .she didn't seem to be doing that good of a job, which kind of upset her to a point of watching the young female. A look of fogginess had crossed her face which brought common curiosity out of Nina.  What had happened to this young female to make her. . .so. . .so scared of everything? She wanted to ask but refrained from it for soon the little girl was stepping away as if terrified by the golden female's presence. 

Something could have affected this young girl's life to the point where she might have had flashbacks. And the best thing was. . .Nina could help her, and she knew she could, as long as the little girl cooperated. She hoped she would though, for it would have been easier for the little girl to deal. And the thing was she wanted to help the girl but she didn't wish to frighten her either. Opening her mouth, she spoke gently, "I can help you. . .Cessair. I just need you to trust me."

The Wanderer's Fence - Cessair - Jun 26, 2012

As much as Cessair had learned to love this land, she knew she couldn't stay. More and more this thought invaded her mind. So far, her interaction with another wolf only proved that everything she encountered had potential to trigger another flashback. As excruciating as they were for her alone, how much worse it would be to force others to endure them, too! She wanted almost more than anything for them to stop, but what could she do?
It occurred to Cessair that she should probably see what the other wolf had to say before running off and never returning. Why did the other wolf have to be so nice to her? If she had just chased her away from her pack's territory, none of this would have happened, and perhaps she would still feel like she could stay. At the same time, Cessair was immensely grateful that the older wolf didn't -- any more cause for nightmares would have driven her insane. The jumble of emotions fighting for Cessair's attention almost prevented her from understanding what the other wolf said next.
She mentioned help. Cessair knew she needed help, but what could a stranger offer her that would cure her of her flashbacks? Then she mentioned trust. Trust, Cessair knew, was something that pups were born with. It's what soothes them to sleep when their beloved mother tells them all is well; or what emboldens them to leave the den for the first time when their noble father tells them to follow him. Trust is what compels pups to flee from their mother when she tells them it is her time to die...
Cessair resolutely looked up and into the emerald depths of the golden wolf's eyes. "I trust you."

The Wanderer's Fence - Nina - Jun 26, 2012

The two of them stayed silent, something Nina couldn’t complain about. She would most likely need time to answer and the golden female wouldn’t be shocked if the female in front of her didn’t trust her. Trust in other wolves was something that didn’t run highly around in Relic Lore. Many wolves happened to be scared for their lives half of the time and it was something that the brown female could do nothing about. If something went wrong she had to stay where she was and do her work the way she was suppose to do it. Unless it involved Koda. . .or one of her close friends, her loyalty would have to remain in the pack.

Looking up at the sky now she knew she would have to go back to the denning area, where she would relieve Aeylen of watching the pups so that she could have some time to herself. Blinking her one good eye quickly she turned to Cessair and smiled at the girl. She was given her answer. Cessair did in fact trust her, something that pleased Nina highly. Not many of her first encounters with other wolves went by smoothly, so this was something completely new to her. Nodding her head once more she opened her mouth, ”Cessair, it was a pleasure to meet you, but I don’t have anymore time to chat, my leader’s pups need me to watch them. If you ever need to talk or need someone to heal you then call for me. Don’t cross the borders, but I’m sure I’ll here you.”

With a respectful nod and a small smile Nina turned on her heel and started towards her pack den. Soon Aeylen would get the rest she needed and Nina would watch carefully over Nios, Mirren, and Vaeta. She never wanted anything bad to happen to them, they were the Little Royals that squirmed around everyone. Right now, her job was to make sure they were healthy, and that was exactly what she was going to do.

The Wanderer's Fence - Cessair - Jun 27, 2012

As the wolf with whom Cessair had been speaking turned to leave, a cloud rolled out of the way of the sun, allowing soft light to illuminate every green leaf and bathe the forest in a glow. The passage of only a moment saw both the encouraging brightness and the compassionate golden wolf fade out of sight. Cessair sighed. Finally, she had the foundation for a friendship. Ever since her brother fell into the river, she knew no kind of relationship, so this beginning was a fantastic relief. She wished the other female and her pack good fortune in raising their pups as she herself turned away from the pack border and vanished into the underbrush.
Setting her paws to an automatic trot, Cessair took her mind of wandering for a while so she could think. She was particularly grateful that the first wolf she encountered was so kind to her. If the young girl felt trapped by her nightmares or flashbacks again, she determined that she would take up the chivalrous wolf's offer and return for help. Until then, the best plan was to avoid other wolves, lest she risk meeting with anyone who refused to show sympathy. Cessair would wander in this land for a while, now that she had a good reason to stay besides food, and do her best to stay out of any other wolf's way.
Although fencing in her wandering to only wolf-free areas would dramatically limit her ability to travel, Cessair did not much mind. These new restrictions were rules, and there was something about having rules that made her feel supervised, like someone cared about her well being. Even if that someone was herself. It was the first time she felt like she was a real creature in a real place since, well... Cessair did not wish to think about her brother right now...