Ruins of Wildwood
Blackberry Fields The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore III (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+---- Thread: Blackberry Fields The wind's changed. Can't you tell? (/showthread.php?tid=4166)

Pages: 1 2

The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Hollow - Apr 09, 2013

I know the title is way random XD

RE: Hollow finds a nest of eggs

[dohtml]

It was one of the few days that the yearling had taken for himself, the skies were gray and it was chilly but that did not stop the young male from enjoying himself today. No cold wind could chill his heart for he had found a way in his life, a way to be something, to make his mark. Hollow Nite, it was a name that would be remembered now. Remembered for his good heart, his determination and his devotion, things that he faintly remembered his parents emphasizing. Son, the path to greatness is not through blood, and power, or strength. But it is through heart and loyalty, through love and devotion, remember that. The memory faded and he spoke aloud, "Simaea is alive father, and mother, I hope you both know that, she will give her devotion to the pack of her choice as I will mine, and I found love, I hope you are proud of me... I miss both of you." As ridiculous as it may appear it had made him feel even happier despite the dreary tone of the weather, and the still painful sting of knowing he would never again see his parents.

All at once Hollow decided to run, to run as fast as he could. He set off at full speed enjoying the freedom of being happy, the feeling of love coursed through his veins and his loyalty ran with it. His own strength made him feel alive now, not his physical strength no, but the new found strength in his heart to help others, Ashanti the broken one in particular. It was a joyous moment right up until he stepped into what he assumed was a rabbit hole. The yearling tumbled over and over, making quite a ruckus and bruising himself quite a bit. When he at last came to rest he opened his eyes to see a nest... a birds nest, and three little eggs. It would seem before the yearling's eyes new life was being bestowed upon the forest he loved and soon the days would grow warmer and the vegetation lush and green, shaking himself he smiled and turned away to find a perch on which to rest and wash the dirt from his fur.

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Teketa - Apr 10, 2013

Random titles are awesome. ;) Hello!

[dohtml]

Teketa shook himself and fluffed his fur as a chilly wind blew around him. He didn't feel it though - his fur was thick and warm still from winter - but he knew it was cold. Days like this were rarely pleasant, but he wasn't about to complain. He had traveled in worse - would undoubtedly do so again - so he'd bare it just as he did everything else: with a stern face and a stout heart. The male was a black mass that moved with a practiced quietness; he had the step of a loner on strange land. That did not mean, however, he was afraid. He may not have had any real direction in life, but hey. He'd escaped something now and that was all that mattered. Huffing softly, the dark male moved on, his path taking him out of the woods and south, through a field with grass subdued by wind and cold.

The wind seemed to ease a little the further Teketa went. He might've continued on without pause if he hadn't caught a streak of movement from the corner of one eye. Teketa's head whipped around until his yellow-green eyes locked on a fleeing figure. It was black like himself, though its details were lost in the rapid movement of its passing. Teketa crouched to watch, his eyes narrowing to green slits; he wasn't hiding himself so much as taking a more defensive posture. He told himself that anyway. In any case, it was such that as the young wolf stumbled and took a painful-looking roll, that Teketa lifted to his full height again and began to walk forward briskly. His stern expression never changed - he was rarely inclined to smile or make friendlier faces - but he didn't act aggressively. His tail trailed neutrally behind him and his head was raised just slightly from curiosity.

The black wolf slowed when half the distance between them had been covered and stopped four wolf-lengths away, squinting carefully at the stranger. The other wolf was younger than Teketa. And his pelt was perhaps a little lighter in places. Close by, Teketa could see the offending nest - the thing he assumed had caused the youngster to falter in his otherwise flawless run. He considered for a moment whether or not to speak. He had approached for a reason, yes, but now that he was here he wasn't sure he was comfortable with his choice. But then, he was here...

Teketa wasn't fond of other wolves. He sought no ingress with packs, or even friends. Perhaps some of that found its way into his deep voice, and also a little of the awkwardness he felt. His words were quick - clipped - but the concern, even awkward as it was, seemed genuine: "Are you all right?" He didn't need to explain why he was asking, but found himself doing it anyway, "I witnessed your fall."

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Hollow - Apr 10, 2013

[dohtml]

Hollow shook his shaggy black fur and began to move away from his... last, stop. Very suddenly a scent came over him and his head went straight up along with his ears, which swiveled around to face the oncoming wolf. The wolf began to approach and the woodlands yearling made sure to keep his tail neutral though his head was raised to it's full height, it was merely in curiosity. Hollow was fully aware that out here, in the fields they may be only a short run from the pack, but this still was not his land. Therefore here they were equals. Until one made a bid for power, If one made a bid for power. The dark male was not defensive, he was alert.

The other wolf was, male, certainly larger than Hollow, older too. Eventually when the male made his approach Hollow was almost taken aback at the feeling that he was looking at an older reflection of himself, the eyes were different and of course the fur was pure black. But the stout and strong build was there, and the way he carried himself. Soon the make spoke, the yearling was pleased to note the lack of all Hostility and was glad for it, he did not especially enjoy fighting. "You saw that? Yes I am fine it would not be the first time I've found my paws facing up!." Hollow's tone was light and kind, as he continued, "Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Hollow Nite, of the Secret Woodlands pack, could I trouble you for your name?." He was trying very hard to be diplomatic, the yearling was not at all comfortable around strangers who were within a days journey of his home, but he hid his discomfort flawlessly and was able to present a neutral face to the stranger.

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Siku - Apr 10, 2013

[dohtml]
Siku had offered her loyalty to Phineas days ago in not words but action. They would move on from this area in due time; for now, though, they lingered. She lumbered forward, prepared to leave entirely to collect her sons and inform them of their current course. She would need to pass through these lands, though, and with that in mind she moved to ingress the territory that was Blackberry Fields. She nosed at the earth, snout cold with the light snow that was melting away some. In her peripherals, she caught a flurry of movement. All at once the Tartok matriarch rose to her full height, ears aggressively thrusting forward in a show of annoyance and the promise of a fight. But the other was not running to her, and so she relaxed visibly, ears shifting as her tangible anger faded to black. She witnessed the youth take a tumble and snorted derisively.

And then another approached. She paid him more attention than she did the wolf that had fallen. Hollow's clumsy steps had proven his evident worth to Siku, who thought little of anyone. She was here to study the natives, that was it. And with that thought in mind, Siku resumed her task, wondering if these wolves were the sort to approach strangers or if they would keep away. To each their own. She found a vast majority were willing to approach her: Fenru, Inkheart, even Phineas himself. Siku herself was never inclined to ingress into a situation that meant being sociable. She was a social being, but not in the verbal sense, which was all anyone seemed to be interested in. No, she preferred proximity, touch, scent, the visual nearness of others when it was consented. But speaking... there was little point. She was not here to make friends, but find loyalists. An ear flicked as she pushed a bit of snow forward to uncover frosted blades of grass. There were signs of a herd having been through the area, long ago, and she was interested in their current whereabouts.
[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Teketa - Apr 10, 2013

It's a party of black wolves! :D

[dohtml]

If Teketa was amused by the yearling's statement, it never showed on his face; ever the austere gentleman - in so much as a wild loner could be called a gentleman. His jewel eyes however, were not unkind; behind their guarded façade was the glimmer of a wolf who cared. The young male introduced himself as Hollow Nite - an interesting name, Teketa thought. Hollow...? This young wolf seemed kind enough. Why would his parents give him such a name? It seemed cruel to Teketa.

He grunted. It made sense the youth should belong to someone - something. A pack. And that only served to make Teketa more comfortable. However, he was seasoned in concealing such feelings from others. He flicked an ear casually against a sudden bitter gust, then responded in the same clipped tones he had before: "Teketa." No surname was offered. No pack. Just that one-word name, as plain as ever. Perhaps it was only bad manners that kept him silent on all other counts. Or, perhaps, he really was much more antisocial than he'd let on - approaching Hollow as he had. But then, Teketa had wanted to be sure the wolf was uninjured. And he was - Hollow was fine. Young and strong. Which meant Teketa's presence here was obsolete and any further conversation would only serve to deepen his discomfort.

But he did not move. Indeed, something in his demeanor changed. He was tenser without moving; not a fur rose on his spine, but his eyes narrowed and flicked away from the young wolf. The sense another pair of eyes was watching was not one Teketa often ignored and it served him well to heed it now. As his eyes moved, so too did his massive head. He saw then the shape of another wolf - a mass of shadow was hard to miss amongst the lighter surroundings. It didn't matter that Teketa hadn't noticed her before, or where she had come from. Only that she was there now. The black male's nose twitched as he scented the air - but the wind snatched away what knowledge he might've gleaned from such an action.

"Is she one of yours?" Teketa asked neutrally, his voice low. He couldn't get a good line on her scent with the wind blowing like it was, but he wouldn't be surprised if these two wolves were related. Then again, with the distance between them, how could he say for certain? Teketa didn't dare move closer to the young wolf now, and he was wary of the other wolf he spied now. He disliked being surrounded by others. Then again, what different did one more wolf make?

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Hollow - Apr 13, 2013

[dohtml]

Hollow's ears flicked at Teketa merely to acknowledge he had heard the male speak. Jusat as he was getting ready to ask what his business around here was he too noticed the other black wolf off in the distance. Teketa seemed calm and relaxed, the yearling did not mind his proximity to pack lands. Plus the only reason the male had to question him was merely a formality he performed so he knew if there were any wolves he needed to be alert for. But the second wolf whom had not approached to introduce herself unnerved him. Even though the distance from the pack was certainly safe, the number of wolves coupled by the fact that one was making no signs of approach was definitely not okay. If the fields were going to be this active the young male would have to be sure to keep his eyes open.

To Teketa he said, "No, and though you are both a safe distance from my pack I do not like strangers avoiding me, makes me think they could be less than upstanding." Of course he would not pass judgement before a chance to speak with the stranger was at least offered. Hollow let out a sharp bark to request her presence, If she runs, go back to the pack and alert Nina and Koda, if she comes here, at least I'll know who I am dealing with. Hollow was careful, very careful to keep his eyes more inquisitive rather than challenging. It was not the way of the young male to draw a fight where one was not necessary and with expecting females in the pack he needed to avoid injury for Azariah would be stretched thin enough, but he would be very sure to pay extra attention to every loner he met no matter how far from the border he strayed.

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Siku - Apr 15, 2013

[dohtml]
The two were not so far away that she could not hear them. With her keen ears, she heard it all. Knowing she was being mentioned did not deter her in her task of nosing at the earth, but when Hollow seemed to summon her, the woman rose, chuffed by his words and his requesting whuff both. Less than upstanding. An ear twitched as she looked to him, blinked slowly, and then to his would-be companion who—evidently—did not know him either. The dark pair before her eyes were no friends of her own. Siku shook out her ruff and darted nearer, but did not move too close to them. She was less than interested in company; she had hoped it would be clear, and if it was not so before, perhaps it would be now. Had she any desire to trespass, she surely would have been on her merry way to his homeland. As it was, Siku was not a woman on a suicide mission.

Her eyes went from one wolf to the other. She did not seek to make eye contact, hardly desiring any sort of challenge from the pair of them. While she was a seasoned warrior and had been attacked by two wolves simultaneously more than once, Siku desired some amount of peace here. That she had no desire to start trouble was something she hoped was evident, but just as she was not, they were not clairvoyant. And so she remained still, licking her chops, at their verbal disposal for the moment. Her eyes now remained upon Hollow, who had called to her, but her attentions were not solely on him. In her peripherals was Teketa.
[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Teketa - Apr 15, 2013

[dohtml]

Hollow answered with a negative. Teketa merely blinked, for what concern of his was it if Hollow had known the female? It would, perhaps, have been better if Teketa had simply remained silent rather than call attention to her. Then again, she wasn't exactly hiding herself. No, she must've had some purpose here. Far be it for Teketa to care enough to find out what purpose that was however; he snorted softly, his eyes turning rather suddenly to the boy. His next words offered a simple question:

"What makes you think the one who approaches might be more upstanding?"

His words were backed with no aggression, nor did curiosity slip into his tones. It was a question - as straightforward as a question could be. Perhaps he intended to make Hollow think on this judgment. Perhaps he asked simply to ask. In any case, Teketa's gaze was soon enough drawn away from Hollow if only because the female had come closer; he studied her as much as he dared without seeming to stare or be too rude. Something struck him then. Not about the female, but about both of the wolves before him. It wasn't big, or even important, but he noticed it all the same: they both had blue eyes. Hollow's were not as icy as the she-wolf's, but they were blue. He'd never met a wolf with blue eyes before - much less two. A strange, striking color, blue.

Teketa nearly forgot himself and where he stood for a moment. He was apparently in the presence of a pack wolf and a stranger the younger male considered "less than upstanding" - or might consider as such anyway. Teketa refused to back down or move forward at that moment, though he was never quite at-ease. It was not his business to question the female, so he kept his mouth shut. If her purpose was to cause them harm, then her chance had come and gone.

He seemed to bear her no animosity, just as he had not done so for Hollow. He would take no sides if a fight ensued - he would merely leave. Teketa, who had made no sound of greeting, merely blinked at her, then inclined his head so slightly it might've been missed if she looked away even for a moment.

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Hollow - Apr 23, 2013

[dohtml]

The young male could see that what Teketa said made sense, there could be more harm than good a wolf who was ready and willing to show themselves. All the same Hollow did not like those who lurked in shadow and cloaked themselves in darkness. He did truly doubt the female meant any harm for if she did it would have since been inflicted before he called out for her, or she would have trailed him home to find out where his territory lie. Her approach spoke volumes about her intentions as well, no challenging glare, no teeth flashed in his direction. Instead the female sat looking as if she were almost bored and slightly irritated. Hollow tried not to snort, for it was a musing to see a wolf so irritated at being called upon.

Of course the young dark male could read the expression on her face to the point of noticing she must have heard his words earlier and thus Hollow decided it would be better to come out and be direct with both of the wolves. "I, am Hollow Nite, of Seceret Woodlands, Our pack is just to the edge of these fields concealed within the thicket of secrets, Teketa you asked why someone who approaches may be thought more upstanding? Well it is a simple answer, because in an approach we can read the subtle signals a wolf gives, Had this lady here been of more aggressive nature, I would know it sooner. Those who chose to live in shadow have always made me uneasy, especially so close to my home. So that, would be my reasoning for calling you as well. Though now I can see that you mean no harm to me, Teketa, nor my my family, so if you want to, feel free to leave." Hollow finished his little speech and let his voice echo into the fields for a few moments, hopefully he had been diplomatic enough and honest enough to earn the trust of both wolves at least as far as a stranger could, even though he did not know the female's name. One day it may come to pass that he would cross them again and it may be an alliance worthy of having.

[/dohtml]

RE: The wind's changed. Can't you tell? - Siku - May 02, 2013

[dohtml]
Hollow spoke his mind well and full, and the Issumatar was less than amused. Hardly a saccharine woman, let alone sweet or any derivative of the word, she would not humor him with any response as there was nothing to even be said to his words. She was no threat. Siku had never even attempted to seem to pose one, and she was not one to assume that based on ones stature they were good or bad beings. Siku did not feel judged or victimized; she felt that Hollow had summoned her to be sure she would not be trouble. Some went above and beyond the call of duty. It bothered her not, even though it had deterred her trailing by a minute. The waste of time would be accounted for—

His speech had not stopped, as she thought, and as she caught the words Those who chose to live in shadow have always made me uneasy, especially so close to my home., she was not shy in showing her displeasure. Poetic. She licked her fangs, ready to resume her day, irate at his assumption but feeling there was no need at all to correct his error. Siku walked beneath the sun just as she would the moon. She was no lady of darkness, but often many judged her character to be so.

So be it. There was nothing to prove here.

As Hollow finished his speech, she looked to Teketa whose name she now knew, and back to Hollow again. Rolling her shoulders, she turned to return to what she had been previously doing: tracking. Now two names and a territory wiser.
[/dohtml]