Ruins of Wildwood
Thicket of Secrets never thought to question why - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore I (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Thread: Thicket of Secrets never thought to question why (/showthread.php?tid=449)

Pages: 1 2

never thought to question why - Ranger - Sep 14, 2010

For Quest.

The deer and the bear had been the sole subject of her mind's musings today, so much so that she barely registered where she was going. She was not one used to thinking overmuch, and while it did not hurt (harhar), she did feel slightly overwhelmed by her ideas. Why had the deer died so suddenly and without any trace of foul play? Why did the bear go crazy? Ranger wasn't exactly the best wolf to answer these questions, but they burned in her mind constantly. She hadn't seen Ruiko since the deer, though she had followed him for a few minutes to speak to him, to get his perspective on the fallen buck. Their conversation had been short, as he had had to get back to his younger siblings whom he cared for, and Ranger had gone on her own way. The bear incident had been very strange, especially after Jaune's untimely and loud entrance. But these things were not the biggest problems for Ranger.

The water was drying up. She had noticed it earlier, when she had gone for her usual morning stroll through the Thicket of Secrets, the area she called home. She liked to be near Ruiko (though she would have never admitted that to him), to hear his melodious howls and inhale his ambrosial aroma. His scent was heady, delectable, and she enjoyed smelling him more than she had ever imagined. Perhaps she was falling in love with him, or perhaps it was simply an infatuation. Whatever it was, Ranger was intrigued by her own feelings and was excited to see what happened next. On her stroll that morning, she had walked past the stream she normally frequented to bathe and refresh herself. The water level had been extremely low, only now at her ankles where before it had easily reached her shoulders. It worried her, and although she wanted to talk to Ruiko about it, she feared that he would call her paranoid.

It as early afternoon and the breeze was cool against her dark fur. Fall was finding its way into Relic Lore, and she was excited and scared at the same time. For after fall came winter, and she was not sure she could survive winter on her own, and was not about to go ask Ruiko for shelter unless he felt similar emotions about her. And even then Ranger would be careful to keep her distance; she had never loved before and knew nothing of it. She didn't want to make a fool of herself so soon.

never thought to question why - Quest - Sep 17, 2010

He was getting a feel for the place, and although it would be ridiculous to say that Quest felt comfortable in any location, Relic Lore didn't seem to rub him the wrong way like so many others did. Staying permanently had not crossed his mind, but he felt the seasons shifting toward fall, and he knew that bedding down and taking care of himself would be a smart move to make. Resting and nourishing himself in these wilds could indeed be a very good thing for a few days, a few weeks, or even until the cold weather blew over - but that sort of a commitment could not be decided so soon after his arrival here.

He continued to keep to himself, far and away from the claimed lands he had located. He never slept in the same spot twice, and as he meandered now through thick foliage, Quest began to contemplate the forest around him as a sleeping spot for the coming night. Picking his way gingerly and carefully through the brush, he allowed his ears to pick out the sound of running water. Water was life, and it had never been disadvantageous to him to steer toward it.

Until now.

As he parted through the brush, Quest's gray-dappled, black body came to an immediate halt as his gold eyes locked on the familiar figure standing at the bank of a small stream. Her back was half-turned to him, but it would have been impossible to back up without her having seen or heard him. He couldn't believe it - he could not begin to comprehend the chances that he would ever run into an Aquila wolf again, especially one who had been destined to lead the clan. What was she doing here, and why? His mind raced in confusion, but before he could stammer out a question or an aghast expression, he found himself growling deeply and strongly, his lips slipping back to reveal his front teeth while his hackles rose to a point. Quest did not speak - he had no words for his long-lost sister.

never thought to question why - Ranger - Sep 17, 2010

I SHOULD BE STUDYING BUT OH WELL! <3

Ranger had been staring almost entranced into the shallow waters trickling along before her and hadn't immediately registered another's presence. The shifting of paws, however, and the deep growl that sounded behind her caught her off guard, and she turned around. Life slowed down then, and everything she did or thought went in slow motion. This was not a wolf she had wanted to see so soon, or even expected to ever find again, but here he was. Quest was standing, all bristled and angry, snarling and growling at her. Ranger knew that it would be hard to talk to him now, to get him to see that she no longer wanted to hurt him, and indeed had never truly wanted to do any of that to her big brother.

It was hard, even now, to speak. She spun completely around, and instead of the triumphantly vicious face Quest was used to seeing before he was teased or tormented, there was a look of deepest, genuine apology on her face. She had never felt so horribly about what she had done to her brother until that moment. "Quest.." she said softly, hoping he could hear her above his growls and snarls. Ranger had always been a large wolf, even larger than her brother, but now she simply sat there, shoulders hunched over, ears flattened against her skull. There was no fight left in her now, nothing to hint at the life she had led that short year ago. The scars that criss-crossed her body told a different story, but her posture and demeanor said she was truly and deeply sorry. She didn't expect him to take it that easily, though, and so she tried to speak again. "I'm so sorry."

never thought to question why - Quest - Oct 22, 2010

ooc - we MAY want to mature tag this? dunno how nasty quest's language is going to get. XD

Sojourn's body shrank in front of him, and although he was wildly perplexed by it, it did not soften Quest's own stance. His hackles bristled along his shoulders and back, tail ticking barely visibly in the way a feline would wag its tail, not a canine. His growl was interrupted as she spoke his name in surprise, but he kept his golden eyes narrowed upon her. It wasn't until those three little words he had never expected to hear from his sister tumbled through her teeth that his eyes widened in shock.

He could not understand why she was acting this way. Something must have changed for her, but nothing had for him. He was still the cast-out, the one who feared for his life if he ventured too close to where the Aquilas lived. The scars he bore mentally and physically were still very present for him, and he saw no reason to accept the strange apology. His eyes narrowed again. "Sorry for what?" he spat. "I can't possibly think of anything you've done in your life to be sorry about, you heinous little bitch."

never thought to question why - Ranger - Nov 09, 2010

Fixed it. Sorry for the crazy wait. <3

Ranger had never expected Quest to take her apology at face value and accept it. She knew that it would be much harder to make him see that she had changed her ways. It would take a long time to show him that she was truly and deeply sorry for what she had done, rather than just saying it. Apologizing to her brother would be hard work, and she fully accepted that. His words were hurtful. She felt the bitter taste of humility in her mouth, quickly followed by a surge of sheer anger. Her face contorted into a moue as she felt his words stab her.

It was hard to break her long-ingrained habit of picking on him, but Ranger forced herself to keep her mouth shut. It wasn't easy, but she managed to bite back her retort. She remained where she was, hunched over, ears flattened. The spark of anger vanished almost as quickly as it had come. Her brain whirred as she tried to think of how to better phrase her apology. But she knew it would be a moot point anyway. There was no way Quest would forgive her so easily. "For everything I've ever done to you."

never thought to question why - Quest - Nov 12, 2010

It felt strange - exhilarating, to be precise - to stand before Sojourn and be unafraid of her. While it was true that she was a few hairs taller than him, and considerably more muscular, they were alone here, and on ground that belonged to neither of them. The advantage that she had always had over him was minuscule to none, and the fire of anger that had burned in his heart toward her for so long was finally licking its way up his throat and onto his tongue. "I can't think how you expect me to believe that," he challenged her, meeting her gaze for probably the first time in their lives.

"Were you sorry when you sank your fucking teeth into my neck and rolled me onto my back in front of all our pack mates?" he asked bitterly. "Or how about when you would call me names, taunt me into a corner until I got so fed up I would try and fight back. Oh no, you weren't sorry then, so you certainly can't be sorry now. You liked it when I would try and fight back because that meant you really got to hurt me." Growling deeply, Quest began to circle his sister, in a familiar was as she used to do to him.

"Look," he commanded. "Look at the scars you have left in my flanks, and tell me that they don't remind you of good times." Quest's words dripped from his teeth like saliva, his tongue flicking against those ivory fangs as if to show off to his sister that he had them too, and without the rest of the Aquila Clan here to help her beat him down, he just might use them.

never thought to question why - Ranger - Nov 12, 2010

Ranger had expected the hatred in his voice, had even been prepared for the nasty words that left his lips, but that did little to dampen the pain. It was sharp in her heart, twisting continually as he threw words at her. It was hard not to retaliate as she would have done before, but she bit back whatever retort she had in mind. Ranger closed her eyes, feeling his angry energy circling her slowly. It was all too familiar; it was what she had done to him before attacking him, either verbally or physically. It hurt to know that while she should defend herself, she was going to will herself to be still and take whatever beating he gave.

She had changed so much that she wouldn't lift a paw to defend herself from her brother's raw, remorseless revenge.

Her golden eyes opened, an ear flicking forward to catch his words. They hurt beyond anything she could have imagined, but she also knew that she deserved this pain. She would gladly take whatever pain he inflicted on her if it meant that he could see that she was sorry. Ranger knew it would take a long time for him to truly and completely forgive her, but if he could see that she was sincere, maybe it would be easier. When he demanded she look at his scars, she couldn't very well refuse him. He had stopped exactly in front of her, where her gaze would first land naturally. The sight of the faded pink scars made her stomach twinge, but whatever she said he wouldn't believe her. A whine escaped her lips, so forlorn and honest and pathetic that its sincerity would be hard to ignore.

"I did not feel sorry then, brother, because I was raised and groomed to hate you. I never knew that a family could include love and honesty and acceptance. How could I know?" Here her eyes lifted from his scarred flank to his eyes, and passion and distaste mingled in her gaze. Their father had been a hard man to get along with, even for Ranger. He had accepted her because she was normal and without their mother around to temper his anger, their father was free to corrupt an innocent child. And he had done so with ease. "Our father hated the fact that we were alive, when his love was not. It turned him bitter, I think, to not have her with him." Why this mattered was beyond her, but it felt good to vent some of her wild thoughts.

"We just reminded him of our mother. We are both dark, with her gold eyes. He couldn't stand to see us alive and healthy when she was gone. When he found out you were different, he latched onto the idea and funneled all of his anger and bitterness into one cause." The only tone to her voice was one of clear disgust; she saw now how wrong he had been. "He was wrong, Quest. Wrong to have hurt you because you were born a certain way. I was wrong to have listened to him. But without Mother, how could I have ever known true love? Because whatever Father felt for me, it was never love." Her tone then was bitter, as dark as her pelt, and she tore her gaze away from him to stare at the ground at his feet, tears welling up in her eyes.

never thought to question why - Quest - Nov 16, 2010

I just want you to know how uncomfortable characters cussing is for me. I do not know why! LOL

"What - an - excuse!" Quest spat, his circling momentarily interrupted by a look of total incredulity. He could not believe what was coming out of his sister's mouth; would not believe it. As much as a part of him had longed to hear her apologize and repent for what she had done to him, he had never once dreamed it would actually happen. He did not know what her motives for doing so now. Fear, shame, it didn't matter. She had not expected to find him here and he had not expected to ever see her again. But now that she was here, he had much to say to her after all.

"You didn't know it was wrong. You didn't know what real love was like. Well answer me this, shithead," he growled, his pacing finally resuming at a slow, meticulous pace. "If you were somehow so oblivious to all of these things, then how did I grow up knowing that absolutely everything the Aquila clan did and stood for was horribly fucking wrong? How did I know that Father was a manipulative, hateful, wretched creature? How did I know that you and he were cut from the very same cloth?" Quest lunged forward, his teeth snapping together sharply. He intentionally made sure that he did not actually bite Sojourn, but he certainly intended to threaten her.

"I've known all along Father was wrong, Sojourn. I do not need you to tell me that," he hissed. "And honestly, I couldn't care less if the reason for it all was because he missed some dead old bitch who couldn't even live long enough to do the one thing a mother is supposed to do - protect her children from bullies like you." He growled low and deep, wondering why the girl who'd always been so quick to tease or taunt him wasn't giving in to that impulse now. "The only thing I don't understand is why you're here, why you're not still flapping under father's wing. What happened to make you turn on him? He pick some new favorite to pick on you this time?"Feinting a blow again, Quest struck out toward his sister's smooth haunches again, this time not caring if he hit or missed. She deserved to have her pretty coat marred like his was.

never thought to question why - Ranger - Dec 02, 2010

Ranger want to scream at him, to hurt him again, as she knew she could all too easily. Ranger had always had a knack for making fun of her older brother. Whether it was calling him names, degrading his sexual preference, or simply hinting at his inferiority to herself, she had always been very good at making him feel like shit. But instead of lashing out and reverting to her old ways, Ranger closed her eyes and thought of Ruiko. He would not want her to be her old self, that was for sure. Their budding relationship had brought her out of her shell. She was no longer a stoic, dark wolf; Ranger was now a woman with feminine emotions. She wasn't weepy by any means, but she knew when to show her emotions and when to keep them in check.

Right now, the only emotion she felt safe conveying was regret. Ranger, previously strong and stoic Sojourn, was now tristful. She was so full of sorrow and remorse that she felt defeated. She didn't even move when she felt her brother lunge at her, and let his teeth mar her flesh. But he was not right in one thing -- her flesh was scarred. If he had took a moment to look at his sister properly, he would have noticed the criss-crossing of scars on her chest and legs, though thankfully she had kept her face out of much of the action of her mercenary days. Quest's teeth sunk into her flesh and tore a bit of her leg away. It was a small wound, but it stung incredibly knowing it came from her own brother.

Ruiko would not be happy.

But Ranger didn't plan on telling him who had scarred her flank. This was her problem, not his. She had to deal with this on her own. His words had deeply moved her. She knew she had been wrong, and she had admitted it, but that didn't make a difference for Quest. She knew it would take a long time for her brother to even begin to forgive her, but she hoped that one day he might finally talk to her civilly. She did, however, answer his last few questions, opening her eyes to look at her brother finally, ignoring the searing pain from his bite on her leg. "Once you were gone, he turned viciously toward any of the other young boys in our clan, claiming they were all like you. I realized throughout that year that I was wrong. I tried to protect them, to keep them from suffering like you, but my efforts were in vain." She sighed, shaking her head, before turning her gaze back to her brother's face. "He knew what I was doing, and grew wary of me. He took a new mate and she put it into his head that I was trying to overthrow him, and finally, together, they chased me out."

never thought to question why - Quest - Dec 02, 2010

One more post from you ought to do it. We NEED a new thread, now that Ranger's joined SW *evil cackle*

Quest's body felt as though it were on fire. He longed to submerge himself in icy water to rid himself of this feeling, but for the first time since he'd seen Sojourn standing there in the thicket, he remembered the water shortage around them. He grew more angry at the thought. I should just put this place behind me, run on. With her here, and no water, what use is there to stay? The fury in him continued to mount, and he shook his head at himself, a battle of wills rising within. When his sleek sister didn't even move out of reach of his fangs, when they sliced into her hide and drew a line on her flank, only then did his body gain a sense of control.

He watched as the new wound began to smart, and blood came slowly to the surface. He could smell it strongly although the cut was not that long or deep, and it both enriched and infuriated him. Taking out his revenge was something he had always wanted to do back when he had lived amongst his family, but it did not taste as sweet now that Sojourn was spouting off apologies and slinking down before her older brother in a way so uncharacteristic of the prototype he remembered. His circling came to a stop as he stared at her. They were not head on, but he made no effort to avoid looking her meaningfully in the eye.

Her final excuse was not that far off from what he had expected. If their father had turned on her, all the better. He only wished she wouldn't lie about all this "realizing it was wrong" and "protecting the others" bullshit. Quest's heart did not go out to the other males in the Aquila clan who were surely now suffering his own fate. They, too, had joined Sojourn in teasing him and they didn't deserve protecting, as far as he was concerned. But as much as Quest felt that his sister was lying, that she could not possibly have a sincere bone in her body that was pure enough to feel remorse, he could not call her out on it again. She was sticking to her story, and far from accepting her apology, he had to take her words for what they were.

"You deserved it," was all he could say regarding her exile. With another curling of his lip, Quest licked at his fangs and bared them once more. "I hope you enjoy many years of loneliness, Sojourn. If you truly do regret, then I wish you a long life full of time to reflect on what you've done." Bitterly, Quest spat at his sister's feet, and for the first time, was able to turn his back on her without fear of an attack. He did not know where he would go, but this town wasn't big enough for the two of them, and he had made up his mind. He would not be to his sister what she had been to him, so he had to leave now less he snap at something more vital than her leg.