Ruins of Wildwood
summertime sadness - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore IV (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=99)
+---- Thread: summertime sadness (/showthread.php?tid=5432)

Pages: 1 2

summertime sadness - Kisla - Sep 16, 2013

What a terrible starting post. x.x @Maksim

[dohtml]

Her pale tawny fur brushed against the length of the fiery ferns – her perdiot gaze lingering upon the forest before her with a hitch upon her breath. Her desire to flee her birth pack had been granted, but the settlement on this side of the mountain left little to be desired in turn – the dreary lands that surrounded them was lacklustre in comparison to the valley she had grown in, and despite her reservations and dread, she longed to return to the other side. The bond of her family broke more each day – Ice was gone now, and all she had left were Fenru, her mother, uncle and two younger siblings. The Tainn family had been a revered and strong name but a few years ago – now it dwindled to nothing.. Stagnant like the dirt beneath her paws.

The tips of the ferns were beginning to curl as autumn swept closer to the lands. The telltale sign that the forests would soon rest for the winter, and the snow would soon blanket the ground in disquiet. The harsh season was but a sigh away, and Kisla could not withhold her worry that Oak Tree Bend would find the season harsher than normal with their dwindling numbers.

For now, however, the sun lingered across the lands, warming the earth with its touch, though it did not quite meet the she-wolf’s heart. Her bright eyes gazed out before her, noting the silence that stretched onward. Stilling, she found herself unwilling to break it, and so the tawny female allowed herself to settle upon the ground, her creamy forelimbs stretched out to cradle the red ferns before her, engulfing her figure and hiding her from the casual onlooker. For now.. she would forget the loss of Marsh and Ice. Her sister that had died at the savagery of the Aniwayans.. and the feeling that she was slowly drowning.
[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Maksim - Sep 16, 2013

[dohtml]

what if i say i'm not like the others?
what if i say i'm not just another one of your plays?
you're the pretender, what if i say i will never surrender?

The second had returned to Darkwater Rapids to find that Kade’s scent had grown no stronger. Unfortunately, Maksim hadn't really known what was wrong with the Attaya male, hadn't spoken to Ava. He knew nothing, only that he wasn't up and about the territory as much as he once was, if at all. It just didn’t sit right with the agouti male. Was he to take up leadership now? He didn't want it to be this way, not one bit. It felt flat taking charge in such a way, like his challenge with Destin. It wasn’t what he thought it would be. It wasn’t triumphant or grand. It was disappointing. Had Tall Trees and their glorification of rankings simply been a lie? No. No, that couldn’t be the case. Maksim wouldn’t accept it as that, either. Kade would be back, the Baranski knew it, and then things would sort themselves out.

In his moment of churning frustration and confusion, he had left Secret Falls and the Darkwater territory, found solace in soft reds and autumn shades of Red Fern Forest once again. Winter was, indeed, fast approaching. Maksim somewhat looked forward to snow, to ice and wind but at the same time, he would miss the warmth of summer. Autumn had always been a time of reflection for him, though. Strange that it had fallen paw-in-prints with the lack of the Attaya father around the territory. Unsettling. Perhaps he shouldn’t have stormed off in an attempt to clear his mind. He should have stayed, spoken to Ava about it but no, his temper had gotten the best of him. Proof he had not bested that flaw he so strongly despised.

His heart heavy with confusion, the Baranski couldn’t help the sigh that escaped his parted jaws, ears flat against his head as he almost skulked through the fiery forest, green eyes focused on the ground beneath him as he pressed on. Perhaps if he had been paying more attention to his surroundings he would’ve noticed the girl sprawled amongst the ferns, welcomed the company of another. For now, though, he simply walked on slowly as if the answer would suddenly be revealed to him, sung softly in his ears by the wind.

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">

[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Kisla - Sep 16, 2013

[dohtml]

The cream of her undersides brushed gently against then ground as she shifted her weight, lowering her muzzle now to one outstretched limb. It occurred to her she desired a co-rank – the desire to maintain a busy lifestyle so she could further drown her thoughts and emotions was an ideal one, and yet the she-wolf could not think of any true talents she could offer the pack. Had she been less embarrassed regarding the topic itself, she would have sought her brother for his opinion. Yet Fenru remained a far more integral member of the pack than she, and in turn, she felt low in his company these days.

The gentle swish of the ferns drew her muzzle up slightly, causing her ears to smooth back to her cinnamon skull. She could hear the ever so gentle sound of another approaching – and she felt her heart begin to hammer in her chest as her bright eyes cast around her, seeking for the entity. Seeing no one, the ferns remained too tall to give her a true sense of who or what was moving toward her.

Her breath hitched in her chest as light panic fluttered throughout her. Kisla Tainn knew all to well the dangers the world offered, and once more she could see Valkyrja leering at her, threatening to cut her pretty little throat.

Fear melted to fire, and without further hesitance, the she-wolf pushed herself up like a springboard, her hackles bristled and her gaze narrowed as she looked behind her in the direction of the other. Her figure crouched slightly, preparing for a possible attack of the other as she spun swiftly, claws gripping to the earth with a fierce intention.

Her eyes finally fell upon the other – the variegated silvers that coursed his pelt and the bright green of his eyes. Stoically, she regarded him, her muzzle lifting defiantly as she stared at the stranger before her. She had sworn to herself then that she would fall victim to no one else again, and while he seemed harmless enough, she hoped the defiance of her stance did not seem as false as it felt.
[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Maksim - Sep 17, 2013

[dohtml]

Wide, powerful jaws parted as a yawn escaped him, however sudden movement and rustle of foliage from behind him had his hackles immediately bristling. With his jaws snapping closed, his teeth going click as they met, Maksim’s body turned to the source of the movement, his muzzle wrinkling as the Darkwater guardian braced himself for what could have potentially been the impact of another creature colliding with him. Everything about him suddenly screamed “power”, tail erect and shoulders squared. He cared not about what it was or what its intentions were, only that he was prepared in time to take the hit and then strike back. His encounter with the two rogue wolves flooded back his mind, remembering the sudden arrival of the second one, the fleer from them both that accompanied his backing off. No, this time he was utterly prepared.

Nothing crashed into him, however. No vicious snarls of impending danger rang in his alert ears, no laughter that would put even a hyena to shame. Verdant eyes darted around, searching for the source of the sound, before they settled on (and glared at) the figure that stood before him. A girl with her head held high and eyes narrowed. He shared the cold stare with her, utterly irritated and also slightly impressed—she had not wavered in her stance at all. A short, frustrated grumble rolled in his chest, though it did not shatter the odd silence in the form of a growl or a snarl.

Moments ticked past and the Baranski slowly found himself relaxing, his muzzle smoothing out, though his tail remained upright and his gaze stoic and cold. Though he eased himself of his defensive posture, he would keep his wits about him in case any other wolves decided to jump from the bushes. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“My apologies,” he found himself muttering in an oddly cold tone, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“I had not expected someone to jump from the undergrowth.” Not once did he allow their eyes to break contact, her emerald gaze matching his reptilian one. Whoever she was, she was certainly putting on a brave face in front of a man who was more than a little bit larger than her.

[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Kisla - Sep 18, 2013

[dohtml]

The wolf before her carved an impressive sight against the fiery ferns – the silver guard hairs of the greyscale male rose to the challenge just as he did, her sudden appearance startling him just as much as his oncoming paw falls had for her. He lifted himself to a great height that far over towered her own, though she did not reveal the flinch she inwardly felt to his own aggressive stance, and instead, she allowed herself to be captivated by the fierceness she could almost see within his eyes.

He spoke – the words sliding smoothly from his muzzle and she did not respond instantly. One ear twitched, her own stance unmoving as she remained nearly coiled, waiting for some attack or sign of aggression. Her run in with another lone wolf only the other day was not fully forgotten just yet, and her newfound companion’s cold tone drew a sardonic snort from the Tainn girl. “I have that effect on others, it seems,” she returned brashly, her tail giving an idle flick, uncertain where to go from here.

While he remained cold and cautious before her, she stilled. Her presence was not yet met by a snarl as it had been Aeolus, but that did not cause her to settle. Still on guard, she gave a small shift of her muzzle, the faintest of nods. “Kisla Tainn of Oak Tree Bend,” she finally allowed, not usually sharing her name with those outside of her pack and trust. Her voice was aloof – almost cold as she waited for his reaction. Her trust did not stretch far with anyone, let alone an outsider, and with an unyielding wall of stoicism, she remained rooted to her spot, not once giving way to the flutter of nervousness that echoed in her heart.
[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Maksim - Sep 18, 2013

[dohtml]

The stare off continued, neither seeming to fully trust the other quite yet. With a flick of her tail, the young girl gave a bold snort and Maksim simply raised his head slightly, muzzle tilting upwards, as if to silently question ”is that so?” She was the type to hide in bushes and leap out at unsuspecting passers-by then? She enjoyed scaring people? The Baranski scoffed inwardly—she was hardly intimidating, even with that icy stare of hers, though he definitely could appreciate her tenacity. He briefly recalled his conversation with Arlette and he couldn’t help but let a sentence slip past his dark lips. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;"> “I’m not like others.” There was an underlying tone of certainness to his voice. No, the Darkwater male was definitely not like others.

A brief nod, barely noticeable, was offered along with the name. Kisla Tainn. With that came another snippet of information: Oak Tree Bend. This young woman was no monad then? She belonged to a pack? <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Maksim Baranski,” he retorted, his eyes somewhat softening their steely gaze, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“of Darkwater Rapids.” Well, if he hadn’t any knowledge of the existence of Oak Tree Bend then surely she would have no knowledge of the existence of Darkwater Rapids. That was doubled by its location, the members hidden away from the eyes of those who wished to cause trouble. The phrase “just because you cannot see us does not mean we cannot see you” sprang to mind whenever he thought of that very quality.

Ears relaxing from their perked, alert position, the brute snorted slightly. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Is it a habit of yours to hide from innocent passers-by and then jump out when you are least expected?”

[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Kisla - Sep 19, 2013

[dohtml]

“I’m not like others.” She wasn’t certain how to take these words, and withholding a quizzical façade, she made no comment to this – instead, taking in his name as a tidbit of information, perhaps in which she could divulge to her pack at a later time. Darkwater Rapids was unfamiliar to her, but then again.. she had grown up on the other side of the valley, and the entirety of the Vale was unfamiliar to her thus far. Even the forest in which she inhabited had yet to become home, and her eyes briefly flickered form his imposing figure to sweep across the area before her, taking in the slightest change of leaf colors as autumn came swiftly to claim its brief moment within the year.

His voice broke the silence once more – the question itself drawing her attention and finally eliciting a blink of confusion from the girl. The sudden realization that she had surprised him just as much as he her came to her like a wave crashing down, and just like that, a heat of embarrassment coursed through her. Oh..

Faltering for a second, her jaw opened and she paused, uncertain of what to say. Her cold demeanor suddenly seemed silly – the illusion that a wolf of imposing danger lurked behind those green eyes as he had briskly headed in her direction felt surreal now, and she gave a light shake of her muzzle, recovering. “No,” she finally offered, pursing her lips. “I heard another approaching and wasn’t sure of intention..” Another small pause, and she shrugged her shoulders, her eyes darting away now to her paws. It could have been a moment of honesty – one in which she could share, as those she trusted were slowly dwindling around her.. instead, all she could give was: “And I didn’t want to be stomped flat.”
[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Maksim - Sep 21, 2013

[dohtml]

The girl before him faltered at his words, putting one and two together. Maksim’s tensed muscles relaxed as her mouth dropped open, probably attempting to find something to say in response to his question. Perhaps they had startled one another? It seemed plausible; a big angry wolf tromping through a forest might’ve scared him if he were in her shoes. Then again, what did she have to fear? The Darkwater male watched as she shook her head as if to dislodge something, lips pursed into a tight, thin line before she responded with a “no”. Her gaze finally broke from his and the Baranski couldn’t help feeling more in charge of the situation now. His brow rose with her next statement and then it furrowed, his large head tilting ever so slightly. She didn’t want to get stomped flat? Well, surely Maksim hadn’t been that angry. He wasn’t a rampaging bull moose, at least.

Regardless, he gave a dismissive shrug of his shoulders, an idle flick of his ink-tipped tail. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“I have, nor had, any intention to stomp you flat. Nevertheless, I apologise if I startled you.” Though he was hardly being a menace in his moment of venting. He inhaled deeply, attempting to try and wrap his mind around her feelings. Even he had never been to trusting of strangers when he was around her age. Then again, he had left home at her age, too. Perhaps what she needed was a change in scenery? Little did he know, she had taken the same root as he and Grizzly Hollow had: from one valley to another. She had endured quite the drastic change in scenery, too.

Perhaps, then, what she really needed was to find her own four paws and learn to stand alone?

[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Kisla - Sep 21, 2013

[dohtml]

His tone was almost dry as he responded – she could almost detect a slight drawling as he reassured he had no intention of ever running her over – something which was of little comfort to the tawny she-wolf. His apology seemed sincere in its own way however, and the female dipped her muzzle slightly in acknowledgment to this, her eyes stoical yet her lithe figure relaxing slightly. “I apologize for coming off as a bitch,” she decided, a small smirk finally breaking through to her creamy muzzle. “I have yet to meet an outsider from my family worth trusting,” she offered in the briefest explanation she could give, her shoulders lifting in a small shrug. In truth. Even her pack and family it seemed could not be trusted.

Shifting her weight, uncertain if she should make her way home or better acquaint herself with the stranger before her, Kisla allowed her green eyes to trail to his cheek, her tail giving a relaxed sweep through the autumn air. “This Darkwater Rapids.. Have you been on this side of the mountain long?” Her understanding was the Aniwaya Woods pack had been extremely secluded on this side of the mountain during their reign – likely because the savage pack had taken any rivals out before they truly settled, but she was curious. Perhaps the pack the male before her belonged in had simply laid low and away from the diseased wolves.

It also didn’t hurt to bring back a bit of information regarding their neighbors, she was sure. Triell and Corinna likely would be relieved that there seemed to be at least one gentleman on this side of Relic Lore.
[/dohtml]

RE: summertime sadness - Maksim - Sep 26, 2013

[dohtml]

Her apology was well appreciated and the dip of her head was too. She acknowledged that, yes, she had come across more than a little bit aggressively but he couldn’t help but chuckle a little at her choice of wording. The Baranski nodded in response as her own little sly smile tugged the corners of her lips upwards, her words resonating with him. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“I understand, I had a similar outlook once.” Not all that long ago did his openness change. Before he had found Grizzly Hollow, before the pack and their close-knit lifestyle had grown on him, he would’ve been on edge and snarling up a storm. Now it only happened when little shit heads thought they could test the borders of Darkwater Rapids. Luckily, that hadn’t happened more than once.

Kisla inquired about how long Darkwater Rapids had been active on this side of the mountain and his mind ticked backwards. How long had it been? <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“We’ve been here for quite a few months now. Three or four, perhaps?” He hadn’t been around for the sickness, hadn’t known the horror and the fear; hadn’t known the stink of death that lingered in the air, the fangs that cut with rotten breath. No, he had been safe from a plague that he had only heard be spoken of once. Surely it had been a hard time for them all. He hadn’t known that in this very valley the plague bringers had stalked and kidnapped. No. He hadn’t known and he didn’t know now, either.

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“What about you,” he queried, tilting his head very slightly, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“how long have you and your family been on this side?” She was searching for information that could be given to her pack and he was searching for information to return to his pack. Strange, how alike they thought. Knowledge was an essential thing to have, to know who could be an ally and who could be an enemy. This Oak Tree Bend pack would be assessed through Kisla Tainn, the girl before him. She would help the Darkwater guardian understand her home and what kind of wolves wandered the territory.

[/dohtml]