Ruins of Wildwood
Heartleaf Creek It's Been Rough - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore IV (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=99)
+---- Thread: Heartleaf Creek It's Been Rough (/showthread.php?tid=5823)

Pages: 1 2

It's Been Rough - Coal - Nov 07, 2013

@Aideen - Not as much of a novel as I had been expecting. Aideen really wrecked my muse. ;)

Backdated to 11/3/13

[dohtml]

It was nearly the same place where they had parted. Less colorful leaves decorated the branches above, and the air carried a bitter chill, but nothing had truly changed. What were the leaves? They would grow back in due time, and the warmth of the sun's bright rays would also return once winter had taken its toll. The creek still flowed the same as it always had, the sky was still there. Some things would never entirely change. And then there were things which only happened once and then never again.

Close to the gentle waters a body lay huddled beneath the naked branches of a low bush of some sort as if they would protect him. The creek had recently been paid a visit so nothing was left to do aside from lay there in pain and hunger, struggling to find the will to keep on living, hunting every few days when his ribs stopped aching enough to snare a foolish mouse. He appeared terrible from the outside, cream and copper coat caked with blood and dirt, the tears on his shoulders; one might think he would die soon. But the surface wounds were not their owner's problem, for a few scratches that bled a lot were of little matter. They could sting but would not inhibit him from doing what he must. And, in fact, the deeper wounds were not especially dire either, totaling at several bruised ribs and pulled muscles. Hunger was the true culprit of his seeming near-death existence. Hunting with even those injuries caused agony Coal Bielski did not desire to know well, and therefore rarely tried. Nothing at all about his situation was honorable.

He hadn't even done anything to help Erebos, the crazy white brute who had first stood up to the young bear. Simple task until a friend twice his size appeared on the scene. Coal had been immediately put out of use by a swift punch against the ribs and was only too ashamed as his most recent companion had led the bears away so that he could stay alive. For the first few days on his own the huge wolf had somewhat easily fended for himself as his bruises had not yet reached their full potential. Eventually much movement became a trial, and slowly his eating habits deteriorated. If something didn't happen soon Coal understood well that he would die. The only thing he could think about was Aideen, and he wondered where she was, how she was doing. Had she forgotten him yet?

Over the course of the next two weeks he had slowly made his way from Cedarwood forest towards Heartleaf Creek until he rested again on its banks, tired of existing this way. By now his thoughts were muddled, he thought of little besides the cold and the hunger, and wasted away beneath that bush...waiting...

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Aideen - Nov 14, 2013

Ooc: I hope this helps you muse a bit :s *Guilty look*

[dohtml]

I cold wind was blowing, carrying with it a few, brown leaves, the last remainders of fall. In the creek, the water had shrunken to a mere trickle, fighting against the frost, the edges long fixed in solid ice. Trotting along this icy edge, leaving behind blurred footprints in the faint, white rime, was a single figure, her already slight body even more diminished by the impending winter. Her head was hanging low, ears turned back against the wind, eyes half-closed, her focus only on the path immediately before her, brain circling around the one, paramount thing that it had been for the past several days; I need a pack! But that one thought, brought with it so many others; Where should I head? What if they won't have me?! What if they ATTCK ME?! She knew of several packs in the Wildwood, but she had no idea how to decide where to try her luck.

There was one thing though, that, more than any other, stirred in the depths of her very being, whenever she considered seeking out a new family; the one wolf of the many she had met and befriended on her journey, that had made the biggest impression on her. For a long time, she had managed to push him out of her head, but every so often, he resurfaced, and now that she was looking for a home, the memory was even more pressing; Coal... She couldn't stop thinking about him, even though she wasn't entirely sure why; especially now, moving through the land where they had met. For some reason, the thought of him rimed with security and happiness in her mind, along with regret. I shouldn't have... Why did I leave like that?! I didn't mean to... The strong feelings he had brought forth in the orange lass had been nothing like she had ever known before, something so wonderful; and scary! However as soon as she had left him, she regretted the decision, feeling pain at the thought of never seeing him again, and she had spend many days forcing the spinning thoughts of him out of her head.

Now he was back, and there was no way to push him out. Whenever she thought of family the sight of his large, gentle face appeared in her head, and her eyes burned with tears; This is stupid... You're stupid Aideen! You didn't even know him that well! But it was no use. The memory of him was so vivid, that she could almost smell him on the wind... Wait a minute! Jerking her head upwards, the tri-colored dame lifted her snout to the sky, breathing in deeply. No, it wasn't imaginary, a deep, musky scent, that she could never forget, was being carried towards her by the freezing breeze, and it was mixed with blood; COAL!

Before her brain could finish processing the trail, her legs started moving, sprinting over the hard ground along the water. She wasn't thinking, just moving, eyes wide open and darting back and forth, searching for him; rapid heartbeat pumping adrenalin swiftly through her veins. Had she had any time to think, she would have been hoping he wasn't hurt, wondering why he was still around here, worrying about seeing him again... Instead, feelings ran wild under her tri-colored fleece, fear, anxiety, excitement... All enhanced by the adrenaline pushing her forwards. It took several, nerve racking moments before she finally caught sight of him, his large, light-brown form, huddled under a few bushes on the other side of the water.

<b style="color:#c7470f">"Coal!" She called, desperation lacing her vocals. Heart pounding violently, throat closing up in painful fear, she stopped for just a second, breathing heavily, staring wide-eyed at the blood-soaked form. Then she jumped down the bank and splashed through the water, ignoring the sting of the ice and the freezing temperature. With a grunt she dragged herself up beside him, panting heavily as she stared down on his body, covered in wounds; What happened to you?! He was lying so still, the faint shaking of his fur from the rising and falling of his chest, the only sign that he was still alive. Tears filling her eyes, Aideen lowered herself down on the cold soil next to him, pushing up against him to offer what small amount of warmth she could. Stretching her neck across his shoulders, resting her chin against his jaw, she whispered pleadingly, voice shaking; <b style="color:#c7470f">"Coal..? What happened to you?"

Word count: 746

I'm not stupid <b style="color:#c7470f">”I've got bark!”

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Coal - Nov 26, 2013

[dohtml]

Something awoke him. The sound of the creek gently flowing and of the wind whistling through tree branches was all that could be heard. Then something soft brushed against his shoulders, and Coal wondered if it was snowing again. From behind closed eyelids he could imagine the sparkling flakes slowly drifting down from above, and the thought struck him, Where do they come from? He pondered this for a while, and, after coming to no conclusion, let out a deep breath.

Suddenly he froze, realizing that something was not quite right. An eye flashed open and the first thing he noticed was the lack of any white fluff dropping from the sky. What was it then that was touching him? Still too exhausted to follow up his question by merely looking Coal remained still for a while, uneasily noticing that the thing that lay on top of him was alive...warm. Alarm flooded his brain but for some reason he couldn't move, couldn't think, but could only lay there helpless and wounded and hope he wasn't about to die. He tried to lift his head but immediately discovered that whatever was touching his shoulders was also resting on his jaw greatly impeding movement.

And then it hit him. The smell. A female wolf was the culprit, the one giving him warmth. A memory pounded at his brain, trying to make him remember the specific scent she emanated, that he knew. His thoughts were sluggish and foggy, but slowly he realized just who it was who was so painfully close to him.

Aideen Smoke. The one who would forever hold his heart.

"Aideen?" The huge wolf's voice was weak and shaky, though Coal was surprised he had been able to squeak out any voice at all. "Is that you?" Of course it was! And yet he had to make sure.

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Aideen - Nov 26, 2013

Ooc: GOD BLESS YOU RENDER! Aideen might have killed your muse, but you and Coal have brought mine back!! <3

[dohtml]

He was so cold, so still... While she waited for him to respond to her, she noticed his slow breath, his quiet heartbeat, so opposed to her own, racing pulse. What has happened to you..?! She felled the tears press behind her eyes, but held them back, swallowing hard, she had to be strong now, had to make sure... It took so long, so heartbreakingly long before he showed any reaction, the girl was starting to fear that he might be too badly wounded to do so. But finally his voice sounded, low and croaking, barely audible over her own breath and the weeping wind; his body vibrating with the words. She gasped a breath, pulling slightly back, half-standing over his wounded form, tear-blank eyes watching him closely.

The question made her choke up, his so full of pain... She stayed silent for a while, waiting for more, but nothing came. He kept still, his breathing shallow; What if he's dying?! The though made a strangled sound escape her maw, a tiny, painful whelp; no! He couldn't die. Cautiously, she lowered her head back down, carefully nudging him lightly under the ear; <b style="color:#c7470f">"Yes. It's me..." The tears muffled her voice, the lump in her throat making it sound small and strangled; <b style="color:#c7470f">"I... I'm here." She didn't know what else to say. Thoughts and feelings were running wild within her; I have to do something... I have to save him! But what? How?!

Lying back down next to his wounded body, Aideen pulled her head back and looked over the gashes in the brown fur. The sight made her stomach churn, her eyes burn, and pain run through her body, like it was herself who was wounded. But studying the lesions closely, it did appear that they were not too serious. Leaning her head in closer to his shoulder, she whispered shakily: <b style="color:#c7470f">"Don't worry... We'll fix you..!" Then she carefully began licking the gashes, silently apologizing for the stinging it would cause.

Word count: 331

[/dohtml]

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Nov 26, 2013

[dohtml]

Look Out!

A bear has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Coal - Nov 27, 2013

Good! <3 I'm slowly getting mine back too. xD

[dohtml]

Her voice was music in this time of of pain and darkness, her closeness was all that he needed to feel warm again. As the copper female nestled up against him he sighed, wishing he could see her, look into her eyes. His tense muscles relaxed and his eyes slowly closed, comforted by her worry-drenched words. Coal wondered what he looked like for the first time. He hadn't really been interested, as just staying alive took up all of his spare time, but with Aideen here something flared inside of his chest that made the huge wolf feel rather self-conscious.

Slowly the bloodied, torn male let himself unfold from the tight curl he had formed to fight against he winter weather. Emotionless thoughts were swarming him, and though each was important none were more than minute breezes fluttering through his mind. He was content to die now, as he felt it must be. The pain coursing through his body and the loss of blood he had experienced just seemed too much for a man to take...even such a handsome, buff man as he. Now he could say goodbye to Aideen, his sweet Aideen.

Coal's fur prickled as something began to press against it all over, focusing on one spot before moving on to the next. At first the realization was hazy at best before it dawned on him that she must be licking the blood out of his fur. Once this hit him the prickling became an intense vibration, and for once Coal was glad he couldn't move or hardly speak. It was likely he would have made a fool of himself.

Well. At least I still have a soul, he mused.

As her soft tongue ran over his body the steady rhythm and fresh feeling that followed made the man begin to drift off to sleep. But he fought it, reveling in Aideen's presence. The thought of continued life once again looked appealing...unless she ran off again...

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Aideen - Nov 28, 2013

Ooc: WHATCHA!! Let these guys forever be a couple, they are my new OTP, and they give me muse like no other!
Sorry for length, but when I reached 850, I just HAD to go for 1000 xD

[dohtml]

She progressed slowly, carefully moving from one wound to another, thoroughly cleaning every bloody scrape. As she moved, she noticed his body relaxing under her gentle touch, uncurling from its tight position, his breath steadying a bit. Warmth filled her, he wasn't dying, she was helping; Don't worry, I'll get you patched up! The orange girl was vigilant to get to every injury, cleaning every single scrape, and time passed silently between them, the squeaking wind and the slow trickle of the creek, the only sounds mixing with the two wolves' quiet breathing, and the rustle of their small movements.

When she finally finished, her neck felt stiff, but her heart was lightened, she felt like she'd done something important, even if cleaning him up was all she could do. She pulled back a little to look him over, a painful grimace twisting he face at the sight; his wounds might be clean, but the rest of his fur was still caked with blood and mud. She contemplated starting on the pelt, but dismissed the idea quickly, shaking her head; Not now, it wouldn't be of use. Eyes still glowing with concern she turned her gaze to his face, stomach twisting when she saw his lifeless expression. But what could she do then? She bowed down and gently nudged the boys head, licking his snout lightly; <b style="color:#c7470f">"Please wake up..." She whispered, tears still making her voice sound strained, <b style="color:#c7470f">"Please, I... I don't know what else to do!"

Raising her dome once more, she desperately searched the horizon, ears flicking in rising panic; But I NEED to do more! He needs to be healed, but I can't..! Coal needed an able healer, someone with knowledge and experience; like Ashanti! For a second the young femme thought about calling the young healer, but then shook her head, growling lowly at her own stupidity, it had been many days since she met the white dame at bramble falls, she would be long gone by now, back to her pack. HER PACK! Of course, Secret Woodlands, that was the solution! She needed to get Coal to Secret Woodlands where Ashanti could care for him, and hopefully they could spend the winter. The small fae looked back down at her wounded friend, brows furrowing; Coal was clearly in no condition to move now. She snarled in frustration, starting to pace back and forth over the frozen ground, next to Coal's, still lifeless, body. She needed to get him to shelter and care, as fast as possible, and Secret Woodlands was the closest pack she knew of, but... Unless we find some way to regain your strength...

That was the exact moment when luck smiled upon them, as the freezing breeze brought with it the scent of fresh blood. Snapping her head around, in direction of the smell, Aideen raised her snout, breathing in deeply to identify the origin of such wonderful an aroma; A deer! PERFECT! <b style="color:#c7470f">"Yes! " She exclaimed, joy swimming over her as she started off towards the dead animal, heart racing. This was just what they needed, food! If Coal could just gain enough strength for them to make the trek to Secret Woodlands, everything was gonna be alright. She never allowed herself to think of the possibility that the leaders of the pack would reject them, she couldn't! She needed a good plan, and this was the one she had forged.

It didn't take many leaps before her eyes fell on the carcass, a half eaten pile of bones, skin and meat! Hardly a day old. The petite lady bared down on her target, scaring off the birds that had been feasting on the remains, and quickly grabbed hold of it, dragging it with her back to the riverbank. It took some doing, but in the end, she managed to drop the load near Coal, who didn't look to have moved an inch in the time she'd been gone, and she stood panting for a little while, watching their surroundings to make sure no other predator had set eyes on the carcass.

When she was satisfied they were safe, and had regained her breath, she dug into the deer, the meat easily accessible after, what looked like a bear, had opened the hide. The tri-colored wolfess tore out a small strip of tenderloin and carried it over to her friend, hoping that the scent of food would wake him up enough to eat some. She dropped the meat in front of his nose, and bowed down to nudge him again with her bloody muzzle, leaving a fresh patch of crimson in his fur. <b style="color:#c7470f">"Look, I found food!" She whispered warmly, swallowing hard, and awaited his response with fear lining her features. If he didn't react to this she didn't know what more to do; Please, PLEASE Coal! I can't do more for you... She again had to hold back tears, he would wake up, he had to wake up. Otherwise... Otherwise she would be all alone again...

And it was as she stood there, trembling in her worry, that Aideen's final decision was made; She did not want to be alone anymore! She was done wandering aimlessly, she wanted a home, a family, a pack! Somewhere to always return to, with other wolves who would welcome her cheerfully and ask about her adventures, a place to feel safe, part of something... And she wanted him to be a part of it too, this large, handsome male who had awoken such strong feelings within her simply by his presence; the kind boy who had given her new hope when all of her own was lost, and cheered her up in a time of deep despair. She was not done with adventures, but her new ones were gonna be different. On her journey, she had made several friends, good friends, whom she hoped to see again, but Coal was something different, something more! So please, PLEASE WAKE UP! <b style="color:#c7470f">"Come on Coal... We'll get through winter together!"

Word count: 1,002

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Coal - Dec 02, 2013

@Aideen - Terrible, short post I know! I just felt bad about how long it was taking. :c

[dohtml]

The scent of meat and Aideen's tender caresses awoke him. At first he wondered if it was merely another dream, but slowly he remembered what had taken place before falling asleep. Adrenaline coursed through Coal's body and he tried to stand, but rising to his knees only made it worse. His face twisted with agony and he hit the ground with the dull thump which made the screaming pain in his ribs stronger than ever. For a while he lay there panting, waiting out the sudden surge. His head pounded and his paws...well, he couldn't actually feel his paws. The thought that they were completely frost-bitten stuck a new fear into his heart. It just was not possible for a wolf to survive without walking.

Once it had slightly subsided and breathing again came normally, Coal tried again. This time he moved slowly, wincing at every change of position, and refusing eye contact with the copper wolf who buzzed about trying to offer him comfort. He couldn't be comforted unless she could magically mend cracked ribs, or sew flesh back together. Unlikely.

Eventually he had managed to gain a stable sitting position and then began the tingling in his paws. It hurt about as bad as his ribs as blood and warmth seeped back into them and for a while Coal found himself sitting stone-still with his eyelids shut tight while he waited it out. It was minutes before he showed his dark brown eyes again, peering straight into Aideen's. A lopsided grin found its way onto his face, and then he reached down to tear at the meat.

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Aideen - Dec 03, 2013

Ooc: I don't know how you do it, but please, NEVER STOP! Even the smallest of your posts makes my muse burn!! :D
Also, THE FEELS!

[dohtml]

Watching him struggle sent stabs of pain through her heart, and she ached to reach out and help, but she held back; She didn't want to hurt the strong lad's pride, and besides, her skinny frame could hardly support his corpulent muscles. Still, when Coal's legs gave in and he slumped back down, she half-jumped forwards, a small, strangled sound escaping her. He was so weak, not even able to stand... What on earth has happened to you?! Staying silent as the sand-brown wolf tried again, Aideen was just about ready to throw herself underneath him, to break his fall, should he trip again. But the man took it slower this time, eventually making it to a relaxed seat, eyes closed, face slightly distorted in a grimace of exertion.

The orange lass watched, teeth clenched, unmoving, afraid any motion would somehow disturb Coal, sending him back to the lifeless state he had been in. She felt her heart thumb against her ribs, struggling to keep her breath under control; He's up now, that's good... I hope! Then he turned to her, his deep brown eyes meeting her cobbers, and her heart skipped a beat, a nervous smile curving her lips. He returned the gesture with a crooked grin of his own, and her smile grew bright and confident, he was ok! ...Or at least, not dying! The girl's joy grew when he bowed down and started eating, a small chuckle of relief leaving her maw.

Silence stretched between them as Coal ate, and Aideen sat by idly, watching his every movement, wondering whatever could have left him in such terrible shape. So far, he didn't seem to eager to talk though, which she understood completely, so she contented herself with having to wait for an explanation. The quiet however, innerved her, pushing them further apart with every second that passed; And she longed to fill it, to reach out to the wounded man with warm words and gentle caresses. Something was holding her back though, a memory, kept at bay by the pressingness of Coal's condition up until now, but slowly starting to press on the young lady as she watched the tan wolf eating; I ran away... I ran away from him! And why exactly, because she was confused..? Scared? Aideen shook her head lightly, she didn't understand her own actions, all she knew was that she had run away from this perfectly nice, no more than nice, wolf and left him... To this!

Feelings were fighting each other inside the young fae, tangling like vines, or branches in a thicket, tears pressing behind her eyes. Casting down her gaze, she blinked rapidly, staring at her paws while trying to get her thoughts together; I can't... I... I..! She wanted to run, get away from all these confusing thoughts and feelings, but she couldn't, not now, not again! Glancing up, she looked for comfort in the large wolf opposing her, tried to clear out her feelings by facing them head on. Searching for his eyes, she felt her heart contract, the pressure tightening her throat, making her words small and squeaky; <b style="color:#c7470f">"I... Coal, I'm sorry... About last time... I... I'm sorry!" That was all she could say right now, anything more would just be senseless. All she knew was, that this wolf made her feel something she'd never felt before, something stronger than anything, anyone else had ever made her feel; whether that was good or bad, she couldn't say...

Word count: 581

[/dohtml]

RE: It's Been Rough - Coal - Jan 04, 2014

That was a terrible wait, I know...it always is. :(

[dohtml]

His eyes, though apparently locked on the meat he ate slowly and carefully to avoid unnecessary pain, were watching Aideen constantly. His heart leaped at every movement she made, and the look in her eyes of concern made him want to take her and hold her, and tell her that he was okay, that she was okay. She seemed uncomfortable, struggling with every emotion, so much so that the huge Bielski wolf was extremely curious as to what went on inside that delicate head of hers. But he kept his distance, unsure of her thoughts concerning himself, the memory of the day they had met and parted so swiftly. How was it possible that such a small woman could capture his heart so fast?

Eventually Coal grew tired of picking at the nearly bare carcass and simply stared at it, his mind threatening to be overcome with a new wave of exhaustion. Sighs had come often now that he was in an upright position. For a while he had ignored Aideen as much as possible, not sure what to say to her, or what she would say back. After a while he felt a burning sensation on his face and turned to see tears in the copper female's eyes, and in response felt heat stinging in his own. But he resisted. He resisted with all his strength as she apologized, voice breaking with emotion and regret.

What was he supposed to do? To deny her would be to deny himself, and that was already impossible. Who knew, maybe he would die by getting attacked by another bear? The odd thought passed through his mind like a teasing wind and was gone before he could even ponder it. So he let it go and focused again on Aideen, trying to form the right words to say.

"All is well."

But that was all he could muster before another wave of exhaustion passed through him and blackness began taking over his vision. The ground abruptly smacked against his side and then, again, there was nothing.

[/dohtml]