Ruins of Wildwood
The Witching Hour - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Incompleted Relic Lore (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: The Witching Hour (/showthread.php?tid=6166)

Pages: 1 2

The Witching Hour - Nayeli - Jan 03, 2014

[dohtml]

nayeli stormwright

Current Random Event - The wind carries unnerving sounds in the Ghastly Woods.
Partly Cloudy — Current Temperature: -8° F/-22° C
Backdating to the 25th if that is okay.

-----

The lone female moved through the snowy scape, pausing every once in a while to study the scents on the shifting air. She thought she'd caught the scent of a deer, just for a moment, on the fleeting breeze. It had spurned her to keep moving, even as the sun sank low behind the clouds that gathered on the horizon. The temperature was dropping, and common sense told her it would be a good time to find a nice place to hole up and stay warm.

The drive to eat, though, was stronger, and so Nayeli trecked onward, toward the foreboding woodland. The wind ran icy, skeletal fingers through her pelt once more, hissing gently over the heaps and mounds of snow. Something about the place put Nayeli off, and it was hard to keep her hackles from rising on her back. Her pace picked up, and her silver gaze began to flicker nervously from side to side as she trotted along, one ear tipped back in worry.

She had waded deep into the shadowy forest when she heard it - a low, brittle, rattling howl on the wind. Nayeli knew the wind could make strange sounds, but this was too much. I don't think I'm that hungry after all, she thought. Cursing herself under her breath for being so foolish, she turned heel and began to lope out of the woods, casting a glance backwards every few meters. The shadows seemed to dance around her, stretching from the depths of the woods hungirly. It seemed like it was taking much longer to get out of these trees than it should have, but that was probably just her nerves getting to her. When a screech owl called out in the trees directly overhead, her fur stood on end. She tried to smooth it and her nerves with a light laugh as she trotted along. What was it about this evening, this place, that was so unsettling?

"Speech."

all I need is a banner and I'll fight on...

[/dohtml]

RE: The Witching Hour - Thanos - Jan 03, 2014

Thanos had grown tired of running. His legs could barely even support him anymore. Though the scent of a stranger perked his interest. The tawny male using any and all energy left to push him forward. Paws numbing his legs started to shake. Grunting his body couldn't do it. Not enough energy was left over, for he had not ate in days. With weather like this he needed to be eating more. Running on stored fat and mere energy wasn't doing Thanos any good in the long run.

Collapsing on himself like an old building. He knew he wasn't dying, but he needed rest and food. But there was always that chance that this winter could be his last. Forcing his eyes to stay open he looked for the scent of the other loner near by. Raising his head off the cold snow he called out, "Hello?" The male tried to make his voice as loud as possible but it was hard when he had close to no, if any, energy left to spare.

Thanos would not give up just yet. He still had to seek out Aeolus, hoping he had followed him here. Still hadn't cleared his sins with his brothers. No, the male would not give up. Not in this way. Summing up his last left over energy he moved himself closer and deeper into the forest. Looking for a place to sleep among strong trees and sheltered crevices withing large rocks. It seemed it wouldn't be easy though.

RE: The Witching Hour - Nayeli - Jan 03, 2014

[dohtml]

nayeli stormwright

The wind had picked up, blowing loose snow from the frozen earth back into the air. Nayeli lay her ears black flat against the top of her skull, pushing her pace faster. She still didn't know where she was going, but anything seemed preferable to being here, in this forest, alone. The place almost seemed to have some sort of ill aura laid over it. It's just a forest, like any other.... she thought to herself.

A new sound rang out, and she halted suddenly, panting plumes of steam into the evening air. Was that a voice? She couldn't be sure. Her head panned around, senses alert, but to no avail. She couldn't even be certain what direction it had come from, although she had a sickening feeling that it had come from ahead of her, directly between herself and outside. Shaking off the chills that climbed her spine (they were not just due to the weather), she started off again. Hearing voices, she told herself, was probably not a good sign. She just needed to get somewhere warm, get her head straight... there was nothing out here that was different than any other woodland. With a cautious pace, she continued on.

Before she knew it, she had come upon a form in the swirling, shadowed snow. Blinking, Nayeli froze, trying to see the other wolf who had loomed so suddenly out of the snow. Her nose tipped into the air and her ears snapped forward, and her voice called out hesitantly "Hello? ...who's there?" she tried to sound casual and not nervous, but it was hard to keep the spectre of the strange forest from making her voice waver. To counteract this she flicked her tail as she took in the stranger. "Are you okay?" she asked. This time the concern in her voice was for the male. He didn't look well....

"Speech."

all I need is a banner and I'll fight on...

[/dohtml]

RE: The Witching Hour - Thanos - Jan 03, 2014

[dohtml]

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#91A2AB;">"Speech."

The fur of the tawny male fluffed up at the sound of a response. Seeking out the wolf who spoke his eyes sought out a black female. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#91A2AB;">"Okay? No, I'll never be okay! I left my old back got chased off by another and know I'm stuck in this hell ridden side of the mountain. I'm underfed obviously, loosed any muscle left from fall. On top of that I barely have enough energy to talk!" It was obvious Thanos was on edge from the pressure he was feeling. Possibly even loosing his sanity. Though he tried to take deep breathes of the icy air to calm his high nerves.

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#91A2AB;">"I apologize for my behavior. You did nothing wrong for me to snap at you. My name is Thanos Argyris." His body was hunched and weighed down with snow. Giving him a more heinous look then he really was. Making a soft grunting sound he looked to the woman with almost pleading eyes that shouldn't belong on such a warn down face. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#91A2AB;">"You wouldn't happen to know where a den is would you? I do not wish to die today, and if I do I want to die in my sleep." Images of his past flashed through his head. Phineas, Erebos, Aeolus. All of his brothers happy and together. Yet it seemed something was missing. It took him only moments to realize he wasn't in the picture. He cringed and almost wanted to fall to the floor. Had this whole time Thanos been the problem? Had he been holding his elder brothers back from happiness?

[/dohtml]

RE: The Witching Hour - Nayeli - Jan 03, 2014

[dohtml]

The male launched into a lengthy response, and Nayeli blinked and stepped closer. A moment of hesitation and a questioning look preceded her stepping closer still to inhale his scent. She could detect other wolves, but their scents seemed faint. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#a5a3a7;">"It is a bit hellish, isn't it?" she mused in response. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#a5a3a7;">"You seem to have enough energy to talk though... which is good," she continued, circling the wolf as he spoke. She kept her voice calm, although she still didn't feel exactly calm. Focusing on the situation at hand allowed her to forget her other worries though, at least for the moment.

<b style="font-size:10px; color:#a5a3a7;">"Nayeli Stormwright," she offered in response, her gaze studying him for any sign of recognition at her family's name. It was an old habit, and one that seemed to be in vain as time passed, but she could not bring herself to break it. Her expression conveyed an unspoken assurance that she had not taken offense at his state. To do so would have been rather pointless and unhelpful, and as such she didn't see much point in it.

His gaze caught hers with an unexpected intensity, and she met it levelly before speaking once more. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#a5a3a7;">"That's an honorable wish," she agreed, stepping next to him and trying to surreptitiously see if he seemed injured or sick. At least, wanting to survive was admiral. She didn't know about dying in your sleep....<b style="font-size:10px; color:#a5a3a7;">"Can you walk? I don't know where a den is, but perhaps we can find some kind of shelter..." She wasn't sure why she felt inclined to help this man. Surely in his state he was a detriment to her... but she was not a cold-hearted or calloused creature. She could empathize with his predicament - memories of struggling against leaden limbs and burning lungs amid storm-tossed waves rose unbidden from the depths of her memories, and she blinked them away swiftly. She wasn't sure how she could help him, but she felt that she should try. If nothing else, it might benefit them both to share warmth on this winter night. And two sets of ears and eyes and noses were always better than one.

[/dohtml]

RE: The Witching Hour - Thanos - Jan 13, 2014

(@Nayeli)
"Beautiful name, Nayeli Stromwright." He offered a weak smile before walking around to show her he was somewhat mobile. Even if his legs ached he would walk just to find somewhere to lay his weary body. Putting his nose to the snow he tried to shuffle through it. There had to be a place around here for the two of them. Maybe a strong tree would be left able to shelter the pair. The snow had covered the best hiding spots but perhaps he had to look high? Not mountain high, but maybe a small ledge would offer a bit of shelter. Like a blanket of hope from these sheets of snow.

"We must," he paused a moment to make sure the female was still following him. "Look everywhere for somewhere to shelter us." Snow was piling up in front of his nose from the shoveling. It was cold but it was only to find a place to stay. He needed somewhere to linger until better whether showed up. If it meant waiting till spring so be it. The male just needed the weather on his side for once. Though for the moment it seemed he was rather unlucky. Just as he went to start something new the harsh winter bogged him down with the old. Being stuck on the same side of the mountain as Phineas was a slight haunt to the man. Unwanted memories slunk deep into his brain. Perhaps it was just a worry of being close to someone he loved but left.

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Jan 13, 2014

[dohtml]

Look Out!

A young pronghorn has fallen behind its herd and starved in the snow. +5 Health

[/dohtml]

RE: The Witching Hour - Nayeli - Jan 13, 2014

@Thanos
You can have him find the food if you like c:

[dohtml]

"Speech."

She returned his meager smile with a begrudging one, but her tail swayed encouragingly. At least he can walk, she thought. Trotting to catch up, she left behind the disappointment that he didn't seem to recognize the family name. No one ever did.

The two trudged on for some distance, Nayeli following in the larger wolf's footprints. he seemed a bit better now - perhaps his state of mind had been worse than his physical state. Remembering the strange sounds she'd heard issuing from the dark trees only minutes before, she pressed her ears back against her skull and pushed ahead a bit more quickly. It wasn't easy going - the snow was deep on the ground, and the wind greedily snatched away precious warmth from her frame. Every breath was a puff of hot steam that disappeared into the bitter wind. Infinitesimal bits of snow and ice stung at her nose and ears. They needed to find some way out of this, and the sooner the better, for both of them.

As the tawny-and-ashes man continued to snuffle around in the snow, Nayeli scanned the woods around them, looking for anything that might give her a clue which direction to go. Perhaps a windfall, or a crevice in some rocks- Her eyes flashed quicksilver in recognition of something. Glancing over her shoulder at Thanos, she changed her course, pacing a small distance off into the trees, toward what looked like a break in the thickly tangled canopy. Sure enough, an old dead tree had been torn partially from its foundations by the inclement conditions, its old weathered trunk slanting at a severe angle. The broken roots grasped at a slab of sod, as if desperately clinging to the earth. Beneath this roof-like mess of soil and tree roots, dark shadows swam in a small cave-like depression. Lowering her head and shoulders, Nayeli shuffled forward, sticking her head in and looking around the hole in the ground. This will do in a pinch, she thought. Winter had taken it's toll on the oak, snatching away yet another life - but they would benefit from this death. Such was the nature of things.

Backing out of the impromptu refuge, she trotted back in the other loner's direction, raising her voice over the winds. "Hey, Thanos! Swift paws carried her back the way she had come, following her own trail until it intersected his.
I think I found someplace that'll work,"

[/dohtml]

RE: The Witching Hour - Thanos - Jan 20, 2014

[ @Nayeli ]

His heart screamed with an aching joy from his company finding shelter. But not to far from the tree had a helpless animal fallen to the clutches of death. "Looks like we're in luck! You found shelter and I found some food." Moving in a sluggish motion the tawny Argyris male walked over to the food in the snow. Poking at it he could tell it had been here for a while but the cold acted like a freezer and kept the pronghorn in decent condition. Without thinking he sunk his teeth into the food. It was as if he hadn't ate in ages. Savoring the food in a slow manner. Taking his time to chew it up and taste it. How it felt like a privilege to find food. In fact, it was a privilege to find food in this harsh winter.

Looking over to Nayeli's dark figure he gave a shy look. "I apologize for taking the first bite. It was just that the smell and sight of food drove me to loose my manners. I promise there is more then enough left for you though." Thanos' eyes returning to look at the food in the snow. A missing chunk from the flank, but there was enough left for his dark friend to have food. Yet he still felt bad about taking the first bite. As a young boy he was taught manners. One of them being ladies first. Making him feel like he had failed the knowledge of all those times of being taught.

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Jan 20, 2014

A young pronghorn has fallen behind its herd and starved in the snow. +5 Health