Ruins of Wildwood
Blackberry Fields Forget it Not - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore IV (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=99)
+---- Thread: Blackberry Fields Forget it Not (/showthread.php?tid=6847)

Pages: 1 2

Forget it Not - K'arnae - Apr 12, 2014

[dohtml]

April 10th | Early Afternoon | Status: Hungry | Tag @Anouke

Had she arisen in the keep of the mountain-meadow dwellers, she would have asked for their forgiveness for her rise in the late hour. The sun had already reached its peak, and the cool air of the morning had all but recede. When her eyes were graced by the warming light of the morn, it was not with the cooling sensation of dew upon her pelt, but the uncomfortable clump as it dried and further matted her unruly coat. Already her chances for grooming were limited, forfeit by her own negligence to the length of time she spent lost within a dreamless sleep. Had her siblings been with her, they would have awakened her, surely. Perhaps even teased her for letting her mind remain idle for so long. But they were not present to scold her now. There was only the grasses to provide the awakening touch she longed for, and the sounds of excited birds to offer the company she could not yet reach.

Of course nature would have her awaken to this…

Eventually she rose upon legs trembling with physical fatigue. Her physique in the moment more a burden than blessing, as what strength she could muster was used to keep her from collapsing. What she would have given for food, proper meat to sustain her insatiable appetite, not to mention replenish the energy lost in her travels. The taste of deer had become a memory to her tongue. What she knew of now was the bland taste of hare and badger. The routine digging and rummaging through their scrawny hides for what slivers of meat they could spare. And they were never enough- only morsels to keep her going along her aimless travels. A tease to her belly when it desired only to be full and fat as it once had. Once upon a time when she had the numbers of the pack; their strength, the energy, their company, their care- she would not have gone hungry like this. But such a time had passed that she felt the pangs were all she had ever known. Were it not for the memories, she would have believed it so.

But there was no point in dwelling on it now. Surrendering to what had become her reality, the woman stifled a grunt as she shifted her posture to support her heavy frame. Shoulders forward and tail swaying at leisure as a rudder to keep her steady, her head remained low and tucked between the rolling folds of her neck, perpetually guarded as if expecting the world to suddenly turn against her presence. She turned her muzzle toward the earth as she stepped forward in earnest, weathered nostrils flaring with each inhale of the ground shrouded in the morning light. Something sweet was there, or at least in the area. And if a scent outside the norm told her anything, it was that others might take notice. She certainly hoped it would be prey.

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - Anouke - Apr 12, 2014

Sorry about the length @K'arnae Couldn't help myself XD

[dohtml]

The young hellion padded through the thicket, weaving through the bushes, and even sometimes having to turn around and find another route as his body was too large to fit through tight spaces. But he didn’t mind, it made the day interesting, trying to find his way around his present home. No, he didn’t have one place that he could call ‘home’, as he was a wanderer, and could only call a place his home when he was around others like him, but the only wolf like him was on the other side of the mountain, and he had to make sure his mission was complete before they met up again, or everything he had done would be all for naught, a complete waste of his time, and most likely his life.

Hearing the tittering of birds in the distance, it reminded Anouke of the cool and unforgiving season that was, which was the harshest of all; it froze everything, chased their food sources away to warmer areas, and made the landscape a snowy, white wonder, but also a nightmare for those who didn’t watch their feet, for the snow covered holes in the ground that became a death trap for those that fell into it. Wolves of darker fur like him were spotted so easily it was like looking for the differences between a dog and a cat. They were targets for wolves who did not care about others, who were half-starved and willing to devour anything in their path. But wolves also like himself could protect themselves from most things, especially canines that were half mad and unable to think straight enough to formulate a plan that had a chance of bringing down their food. It was preposterous for them to think it would work.

Snapping out of his memories as he stepped into thorns, he growled to himself and muttered under his breath, but still continued on his journey through the thicket, hoping to find himself out on the other side. Even though he had lived there for a few months, Anouke still could not remember how to quickly make his way through the thicket, and so he had attempted to learn what was where, but it was useless, for everything looked the same, and so he had given up on that plan and just stuck to walking in one direction until he reached the edge of the thicket, which luckily for him at that very moment, he did.

Pausing for a few minutes, he closed his eyes and lifted his chin up to the sky, letting the cool sun that stretched across the sky in the early afternoon wash over him. His dark fur almost glistened under the sun’s rays, and he let out a contented sigh as a soft, whispering breeze tugged at his long, pristine pelt, as if it was tempting him to dance to a sweet melody. But that was not all the wind brought to his attention.

Eyes opening slowly, Anouke stared ahead of him, out towards the fields where, in the distance, he saw a large shape slowly rising to its feet; it looked to be a wolf. His dark head and shoulders lifted up with practiced ease as he slowly padded towards the creature, and away from his pack’s borders. Although both would be on neutral ground, he wouldn’t act like a simpering fool and pretend to be friends, no, he would be himself, yet also try and act friendly. It was an act he had to play all day, every day.

As the Young Hellion got closer to the wolf, close enough that he could see her properly, he saw that it was as large as him, if not slightly larger, but it was also female. Resting upon her shoulders and along the length of her form was a rich golden colour, like the fading radiance of autumn flowing into winter. Her mane and ridge were darker and deeper earthen hues, while her underbelly and legs were a creamy colour with flecks of brown. The tri-coloured she-wolf had a rougher build than the usual female did, but it complemented her in a way. But the way she held herself: shoulders forward, head low, tail hanging low made it look as if she was guarding herself against the world, and everyone in it.

His interest peaked immediately, and coming around from the side so he could approach her more directly, Anouke cleared his throat loudly as to not startle the female, and with a forced smile on his face, he spoke.
“A nice day to be about, isn’t it?” He would start off with how the usual wolves acted, and then act accordingly to how the female did. Hopefully, she would be more interesting than the others he had met.

800 Words

I do it because I can,
I can because I want to,
I want to because you made me.

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - K'arnae - Apr 12, 2014

[dohtml]

OOC: Length is beautiful!

Regardless of her dire need to feed, the woman was patient in her search through the long blades of the fields. She would take a few steps then paw lightly at the earth to exhume a fodder’s scent, then carry on forward or change direction depending on what was shared by the scent. For a time, she had assumed she had indeed caught the musk of a deer, but the longer she searched the more she became aware that the scent had long since grown cold or that the deer had already been taken down and eaten. Fortunate for those that took pleasure in the kill; unfortunate for her who went another moment with nourishment. But she did not let her frustrations get the better of her, as she had learned rather recently that it served her nothing but a headache in the end.

She continued at length even as it was apparent that not so much as a morsel was in the area, until the wind changed in her favor alerting her senses to the musk of a male. Exhaling softly she raised her head to greet him though kept her shoulders braced forward protectively. He spoke to her easily enough, though the courtesy was not returned without first an appraisal. He was large- the second of his likeness she had come across in the span of a few days, and like her maintained a formidable bulk… but was not burdened with the loosened skin from days without feeding. However, the more noticeable trait was the scent that he carried, for she had scented it once before and quickly came to acknowledge it. Yet, she made no mention of this, nor intent to share this bit of knowledge.

Instead, she simply dipped her head to agree, as her bi-colored eyes looked elsewhere more so out of habit than respect. “…but there is no food here.” Her voice was well-worn and cracked having settled back into its atrophy from days of silence. “Do you know this area?”

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - Anouke - Apr 12, 2014

[dohtml]

Watching as the tri-coloured she-wolf raised her head, yet kept her shoulders braced, he noticed that she had slightly loosened skin from lack of food, as well as the scrawny look of a wolf in need of food. It wasn’t that he enjoyed seeing wolves suffer from all kinds of reasons, it was only when he made them suffer for the things they had done, but only if they deserved it. He was fair in his own way, they just had to learn what to do, and what not to do. She also averted her eyes from her face, but whether it be out of respect, habit or for another reason, he did not know, nor did he care to find out.

Eyebrows raising infinitesimally at the female’s comment of no food nearby, in a cracked and rough voice, he had no time to answer before she queried if he knew the answer. It was a reasonable question to ask, and he canted his head slightly to the side, not a definite nod or a shake of the head, nor a shrug of his shoulders.
“You could say I live in the area, but do not know it very well.” It was completely true, as he had no reason to lie to the female. He only did so if he had a goal in mind, but at that moment he was purely curious about her.

There was food in the pack caches, but he couldn’t and wouldn’t let her near them for the sake of he could be kicked out of the pack for it, and that he didn’t know very much of the tri-coloured she-wolf. Being curious about her, and respecting her were two very different things that shouldn’t be mistaken for the other. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t be nicer to her than others, should he choose to. Letting the corners of his lips twitch up in the beginnings of a smile, but not able to let it emerge into a full smile without showing his disgust for the emotion, Anouke stared at the woman for a few seconds, before asking a simple question he had asked so many before her.
“May I ask how long you have been alone?”

373 Words

I do it because I can,
I can because I want to,

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - K'arnae - Apr 12, 2014

[dohtml]

In a moment such as this, she would have wished she had not let her frustrations get the better of her days before. Had she been more cordial, or at least allowed her temper to settle, she might have been able to inquire as to where the game was around the area. Or better yet, the herding grounds where fodder might gather. She did not fault the male before her for not knowing, taking him on his word as she did with most others. It was the frustration in herself that bid her lip to quiver and forced the lash of her tail. She should have asked then instead of insisting on finding a way out of the Thicket.

“It’s fine,” she grumbled, nonetheless pawing at the earth with a single frustrated paw. When it met the ground again, she turned slowly preparing to take her leave and continue her search. Yet she paused with a single ear fanning back to catch his question. Her brows peaked somewhat as she looked to him from over her shoulder. “Near five seasons,” she croaked without a semblance of hesitance. Not a day went by that she was not reminded of her term in the wilds. Each day she went without food or a proper meal to sate her hunger was another day chalked to her being alone. And understandably, she as growing tired of the lacking change to her routine. “...you wander before you found your home...?” she inquired in turn, more so out of curiosity than genuine interest. “…or born into it?”

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - Anouke - Apr 13, 2014

[dohtml]

Dark ears twitched at the tri-coloured she-wolf’s grumble at his ‘lack of knowledge’ about any food or prey in the area. He understood her reactions, but at the same time the way she acted seemed almost… childish. The Dark Hellion wouldn’t hold her against that though, no, it was only when he found out how she could be useful that he made the decision if he could use them, or if they were useless to him. But he had a feeling the woman could be useful to him, as those who didn’t immediately seek a pack were usually closer to the way he was, than the rest of the wolves.

She turned to leave, but at his query paused and turned her head back to look at him, brows somewhat peaked. Her voice was still cracked and rough, whether it be from misuse or an injury, he didn’t know, nor once again did he want to find out, it was not important to him, but her words were. So the tri-coloured she-wolf was older than him, and so must have more experience than him about life, which he could possibly use, if the time came.

Eyebrows raising infinitesimally at her next enquiry, Anouke canted his head slightly to the right. No wolf had ever asked him that question in such a way, and it only improved the way he thought about her. The way she spoke would give for answers holding more information in them, as she asked not just if he found the pack, possibly how long he was alone, or if he had been a part of it his whole life, all asked for in just one question.
“I wouldn’t exactly call it my… home, but yes, for a year I wandered until the harsh winter forced me to make a choice,” his voice held the hint of curiosity that he couldn’t manage to get rid of. He couldn’t help if he wanted to know more about the female.

Twitching his nose as the wind blew gently past them, carrying the scents of grass, bushes and trees, but no prey, he glanced to the female.
“Is there anything that you need assistance of?” Maybe if he could do something for her, she might return the favor, but it was also a good way to see what she needed, and when. His thought processes were all about deception, as after all, being deceptive was his passe-partout.

407 Words

I do it because I can,
I can because I want to,

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - K'arnae - Apr 13, 2014

[dohtml]

The female was a creature of simple reasoning; if one was able to do something, then more than likely that skill could be related to something useful. In this instance, the matter pertained to how sharp the male’s sense of survival was. And in truth, she hoped it was keener than her own. Three years of having been born into the pack left her with the comfort that was afforded to her. There were the numbers of the pack to assist with a large hunt, a designated healer to assist with wounds and ensure pack health, and of course there were the elders that came before her; their experience invaluable to see to the wellbeing of the pack and their growth.

However wanderers from birth, or for an extensive length of time, had the burden of the struggle on their shoulders as well as experience. The longer they were able to test the elements of nature and the trails that came with it, the greater her own chances stood of overcoming this drought of nourishment. Her ears cupped toward him expectantly though held in her mind neither optimistic assumptions nor negative for his reply. It saved her the trouble of disappointment should is answer not be what she desired.

He confided that he had managed for a year, a good start she would say, until he surrendered to the difficulties of winter. For this, she could not blame him and simply nodded in understanding. It was wise of him to see to his own survival among numbers than test himself if he was unable. However, it was not what she wanted to hear. Nor scent upon the air when the gentle winds carried only the soft breeze and the sweet grasses, rather than the musk of fodder. The day had only begun and already it was looking quite bleak. She breathed softly.

“…tree hollow,” she replied softly while fully turning to face the tall male. Perhaps if luck did favor her, as it did from time to time, she might find a small morsel to sate her for another day. As well as shelter to rest her head. Anything more, she was not sure if the nameless male would be able to help her. But she would take what she could get.

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - Anouke - Apr 14, 2014

What we really need now is a hunt opportunity….But so far SoW has only given them in threads I don’t need them for, so yeah xD

[dohtml]

At his words the female before him simply nodded, perhaps in understanding, as if she knew the reasoning behind his choice of finding a pack. Survival was easier among others, and he wouldn’t test himself against such a harsh winter, for the consequences would be dire, possibly even ending in death from exposure or starvation. Dying was not what he had planned for his immediate future, and so whenever an opportunity arrived that would help him with staying alive and healthy, he would take it as a gift, but would always analyze the positives and negatives of his decisions beforehand. Only if the choice had better chances of survival, but also less dangers, would he choose it.

Bright amber eyes holding the tri-coloured she-wolf’s eyes in his, Anouke shifted his weight to his back legs, but didn’t quite sit down. He felt more comfortable in the woman’s presence than most others, but not comfortable enough to fully relax. There was only a certain few that he could count on one paw that he could be himself around, and none of them were nearby. But the Young Hellion did not have to be with one of those few to relax, being by himself worked just fine, as even though they were in each other’s company, they did not necessarily converse. Talking was only needed when things were to be worked out, orders given or to dole out punishments where they were required.

The female’s next words caused him to blink, and for once a fully confused expression was etched on his face, before he regained control of his emotions and wiped it off so his natural calm façade was back on. Eyes narrowing curiously, he had to pause for a few seconds to work out what she had meant by her words of “…tree hollow,” Several reasons swam through his mind, but only a few actually made sense. The tri-coloured she-wolf was either looking for a place to sleep, was telling him of a place where there may be food and shelter or her voice had been so quiet he hadn’t heard the other parts of the sentence.

Thinking over what to say, the Young Hellion decided to go with being vague, as he would rather not ask her to repeat it again or ask what she had meant by it, that was one of the few things he would never do. “I do not know where a tree hollow is, but I do know of a lone tree on a hill nearby that has large roots and branches.” His eyebrows raised slightly, as if asking a silent question for him to take her there. He wasn’t usually this cordial or helpful to strangers, but something about the female intrigued him, and he intended to find out.

464 Words

I do it because I can,
I can because I want to,

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - K'arnae - Apr 14, 2014

[dohtml]

OOC: Indeed! How do we get one of those D: ?

Despite the female’s apparent need for her necessities, they were not so dire to rouse her frustrations when they could not yet be met. It was not the fault of the male before her that his information was not to par with her needs. Surely his skillset and knowledge were favoring in another situation. It was simply in this instance that he could not help her. It was hard for her to assume that his words were to discourage her, or conceal some truth from her. As it was not in her nature to assume suspicions or the worst in others. As she herself was an honest individual, she expected the same of others to some degree. If it was not the case, then she would have accepted it thus and carried on without qualm. Unless one’s lie detoured her from a need for far too long... And even then, what satisfaction was to be had from drawing blood? Let alone, causing harm?

In thought, the she-wolf descended into a comfortable silence, greeting the sounds of nature with the calm as she would the ease of silence. No rush overcame her to continue her walk nor did the discomfort of standing idle reach her tired, aching body. She was comfortable, a rare occurrence in itself. Yet she had the luxury to assume it was in the presence of another that she reclaimed this sense of ease again. It had simply come about and she enjoyed it, strangely.

Smoothly her ears cupped forward and brows perked attentively as his voice rose above this calm. Not invading but melding with the gently played chorus of the deepening morn to cuittle her attention. ”…t’s fine,” she muttered, then coughed hard to force her chords from their atrophy. They needed to be wet, moistened with the sanguine wine she desired. But as it was not readily receivable, she could make due with her own means. Though she silently hoped that before then she would not lose her voice all together.

An expectant twist of her tail preceded her movement, followed by a forward step toward the male for his attention. Lightly, she nudged her shoulder against his own with an invitation to lead on, before turning in place to stand, not wholly close, but near alongside.

[/dohtml]

RE: Forget it Not - Anouke - Apr 14, 2014

They are random, every time you post there is a chance one will appear =)

[dohtml]

Ears twitching as the tri-coloured female spoke again in her scratched, rough voice, coughing afterwards, Anouke nodded his head slightly, a simple two-way movement, once upwards, and once downwards was all that was needed. No further words had to be spoken, for it seemed the female had caught on to his meaning and gesture, for her stepped in his direction and lightly nudged her bony shoulder against his. It was an invitation for him to lead on, show her where the lone tree upon the hill stood – the place where he had been beaten by that useless wimp of a wolf, Rayne – and ultimately where she could rest for the night, or couple of nights should she choose to. But he would go no further in helping her, until she proved herself to him that she could be of some use, whether it be mentally or physically.

Starting forward at a slow trot, the Young Hellion headed in the direction of the lone tree, setting a pace that the female should easily keep up with, but not too slow that it would take the rest of the day to reach the spot. He still had other things to do, instead of using it all to transport the female from one place to another, but he hoped that she would think of it as a favor, and when the time came that they met again, and in the right circumstances, she may just return it. But it was a far-fetched idea and goal to say the least, though it was one he hoped would come in handy for the future.

After they had been padding in the direction for a while, he finally saw the hill upon with the lone tree stood in its majestic beauty. Pausing as they reached the base of the hill, Anouke turned his bright amber orbs on the female, giving a slight indication of his muzzle towards the tree.
“You can stay here for as long as you want, as long as you don’t interfere with any of the pack members or their duties,” he said gently, as a warning that she should heed. He knew some of the members to anger easily, and would prefer a possible future ally to not be chased away.

379 Words

I do it because I can,
I can because I want to,

[/dohtml]