Ruins of Wildwood
Blackberry Fields You came at me like a cannonball - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore V (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+---- Thread: Blackberry Fields You came at me like a cannonball (/showthread.php?tid=7365)

Pages: 1 2

You came at me like a cannonball - Iopah - Jun 23, 2014

backdated to 6/13
Any BTD wolf is welcome!
---------
It was early summer. For Iopah hunting at this time of year consisted of picking off fawns in the orchard. A sportless occupation, but rewarding enough for her to comb the tall gasses every year. It would last until either the mothers grew wise to her ways or the fawns grew old enough to accompany their mothers. This afternoon was a case of the former. She'd made two passes now and come across nothing. Nothing! She growled into the thick grass and raised her head to scan the trees laden with nothing but hard unripened fruit.

Disgusted she started north. Typically she hunted in the more southern regions. The area was sheltered by the mountain range from the brunt of the weather. It seemed to make a difference, hunting was better than in the warm brambles. Unfortunately it was farther away. Iopah had been hoping to find something to bring back as a lesson for the pups. Something alive. If she went south whatever she caught would likely be dead by the time she made it back. Edible, but not educational. It would have to be the nearby brambles then.

Before today she hadn't gone far enough into the brambles to notice the change.

The prickers were so similar to the thorns in her thicket that she paid them no mind. She poked through the undergrowth, making a meal of a snake sunning himself. He never would have made the journey back to the pups anyways. The scent of wolves did not bother her at first. Loners were always drawn to the cherry orchard and the surrounding land. But as she went on the number of wolf scents grew in number and intensity. Her brows drew together in a scowl, not having yet put together what had happened, but quietly seething by the number of wolves skulking just around the corner from them.

She hit a scent marker and tossed her head up in anger, cursing into the hot cloying air. They weren't loners, they were idiots. The Keep wolves were acceptable to Io because of their privacy. In the six months since she'd met Sage she had yet to stumble upon them. Whoever led this band had no such wisdom. She resisted the urge to mark the border herself and turned to stalk alongside it. It was taboo to cross a border and she was not furious enough to trespass. Politeness was not even entertained. They had not asked permission to set up shop at her doorstop, so she would rudely hunt just beyond their border.

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Tokino - Jul 26, 2014

[dohtml]

http://cubeupload.com/im/IsNm4f.jpg <-- because of the thread title

Tokino was doing his daily rounds along the border scenting important areas and landmarks that lined the border. He had yet to have any problem with wolves crossing the border. Bears, coyotes, and foxes had also been smart enough to keep away from Black Thorn Downs wolf territory despite the delicious fruits that had not yet ripened on numerous blackberry bushes just over the border. Only birds, bugs, and other smaller creatures that wolves mostly ignored crisscrossed the borders as if they weren't there.

He had yet to come across the strangers scent as Tokino checked a lone snag which was one of the constantly marked landmarks that gave away part of their border. As Tokino sidled up next to the tall dead tree he scratched at it then passed his scent onto the already well perfumed tree. As the wind picked up the scent of the stranger hit the man. He stopped what he was doing to pick out the smells attached to the strangers scent. He was hoping that it was a loner checking his border, but her scent spoke differently. She smells of the thickets; of other wolves. This is a pack wolf at my border. The gray man picked up his paws and bounded forward towards the scent.

Quickly approaching the scene Tokino narrowed his icy blue eyes on the female stranger who was pacing on the opposite side of his border. Glad that the woman had the brains not to step over the invisible line, Kino slowed his stride as he came closer. What is a pack wolf like yourself doing at my border? It was an authoritative question that left his lips as the male slowed to a stop opposite of the woman along the border. The platinum males stance was raised to that of an alpha's rank. His tail flipping up to crest his darker gray back while the mans head arched upward. Even his ears pressed forward as the Lagina male stared down at the stranger.

Like a mystery without a clue
Minka & Tokino
There is no me if I cannot have you

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Iopah - Aug 11, 2014

@Tokino
[dohtml]

She'd been striding forward for several long minutes now. Purposeful steps carrying her along just beyond the claimed land. Every breeze drove the scent of the interlopers full into her face and nostrils and her grey hackles rose, then fell as each gust died down. She would remember this scent. The pretense of hunting been all but dropped. Hare and deer would not be in an area stinking so strongly of wolf urine. They bounded through the dry canes behind her, earning nothing more than an ear twitch. The remainder of the brambles stretched out widely over her shoulder, unnoticed. One or two rabbits would not assuage her anger. No matter what was expected of her she would not accept being pushed from hunting territory without a word. A polite wolf would have called for an audience. A gracious wolf would have pulled back from the border. She was neither right now.

A flurry of rapid steps made her stop and wait. Iopah said, did, nothing as Tokino approached, unflinching as he paused just over the invisible line from her. His stance, tall and proud, spoke without words, I am important and I expect compliance. Her eyes hardened at the display and she responded in kind. Her tail lifted and her head rose to meet Tokino's gaze levelly. No wisp of shaded creme rose above Tokino's muted gray. He could posture all he wanted, but Iopah would offer him no hint of submission.

A wolf like yourself. Her lips pulled back in a sneer at his phrasing. What did he know of herself? If he knew of her past maybe he wouldn't be so brash. A wolf that had seen her parents attack and kill wolves over hunting rights. A wolf that had lost everything but a responsibility to feed her family. She disregarded his question, dismissing the authority in it. The reason for her presence should become apparent soon enough. "I could ask something similar of you. Do you know how close you are to another wolf pack?"

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Tokino - Sep 23, 2014

[dohtml]

With a snort Tokino shook his head offended by the boldness that this she wolf was showing. He shifted his weight to his other leg while keeping up the dominance display. He wanted to retort back with something smart or just chase the girl away. However his mothers words crossed his mind. "Always be respectful of women because they brought you into this world, and can take you right back out."

He somewhat believed in that quote, but on the other paw Tokino understood that males were almost always physically stronger than females. Still, he would be the gentleman here. He wouldn't stoop so low as to be rude to a stranger. Even if she was near his border.

I apologize. I did not know that there was another pack nearby. If I may ask, whereabouts is your pack? He adjusted himself into a more calm stance quite confident in his ability to defend himself should the woman attack. However, Tokino was banking on the assumption that she had enough pride in her to not be the first one to punch.

Carefully he regarded her healthy form noting any nicks in her coat and her musculature. He was assessing the damage she could do just in case his assumptions of the woman were wrong. The older wolf knew to never underestimate an opponent. He had a family to keep safe beyond the invisible line just behind him.

Minka & Tokino

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Iopah - Sep 24, 2014

@Tokino[dohtml]

Iopah carefully kept her posture unchanged, holding her own. Clearly this male was unhappy with her and Iopah didn't have to wonder over what. His high posture was answer enough; it wordlessly demanded submission. A singular ear flicked back at his indignant snort. He was taller and more solid than Iopah was. She had to angle her long muzzle upwards to keep his gaze, but she did not tuck tail nor fold her ears. Of course, she would run if charged, she was wasn't masochistic.

She also wasn't offering submission, but as his demanding postured lowered she shifted. The tense muscles in her face eased, her ears dropped into a relaxed position and her eyes lost her hardness. If he wasn't going to be as overly dominant, she didn't need to opposite it so blatantly. She blinked at his apology, it wasn't what she came for or expected. He continued and her eyes fixed on him in an attentive manner. When he finished she continued gazing at him, jaw clenched shut to keep her insulting thoughts to herself. How can you not know? Didn't you bother to check first? Does your nose not— She cleared her throat quietly, then continued staring for another moment. What she didn't actually say her eyes screamed aloud.

"We live in the thickets. We've been there for sometime." It would be hard to miss us. She was at a loss for what to say. Once she started to speak, took in Tokino's still mildly defensive posture and reconsidered. Finally, haltingly, she spoke, "This past winter was difficult. I hope, for your sake, it is milder this year. When food is scarce wolves become desperate and unreasonable."

It was a thinly veiled threat. She looked up at him, the wind buffeting her pale tawny coat, waiting for understanding to dawn. Right now she was being reasonable, but the Barberi wolf knew the lengths she would go for her pack.

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Tokino - Oct 03, 2014

[dohtml]

Tokino nodded slowly in understanding. He and his pack had not traveled any further west when they fled Whisper Caverns. Instead, after they had left Cut Rock River, The group had followed the mountains and headed straight north. They hadn't deviated from their path until just before reaching the springs where the little pack then turned towards the fields to the left. Tokino at least had no prior knowledge of the Woodland wolves or their location just west of Black Thorn Downs. So the man simply shrugged at Iopah's comment. I have never traveled any further west than these fields, so I did not know of another pack close by. I'm not sure if any of the others would have known about you either since we hunt mostly in the orchards as well as around here. He offered the woman this bit of information to try and settle her fears about sparse hunting grounds during the winter.

As she looked at him expectantly Tokino drew his brow up at the threat. She was threatening him? While standing near his border? Kino felt amusement creep up at her boldness. Threaten all you want lady, it is the fastest wolf who gets the meal on neutral grounds during the cold season. He thought quietly knowing that his pack had some very efficient hunters. He would not be swayed from his position just because of offending words.

Well we are here now and I certainly have no plan on moving. So let's hope our packs don't meet during the winter months. We'll stay to the east as long as you stay to the west. Tokino had half a smile on his maw as he watched Iopah carefully for any signs of attack.

Minka & Tokino

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Iopah - Oct 10, 2014

one more talking/arguing round, and then an exit thread for each?
also, if Kino chases i promise Iopah will run[dohtml]

He shrugged. An indifferent gesture that Iopah interpreted nearly instantly. Her ears lay flat in irritation and she glared at him. He didn't care. Their two packs were within a days travel of each other. Autumn would be here within a few months and after that the lean times of winter. Her attempt to convey the seriousness of the situation (as she viewed it) was failing. His mention of the orchard as their hunting ground did nothing to soothe her. Iopah already hunted in the orchard, most of her solo hunting trips were spent under the cherry boughs. Her tail lashed behind her. She wanted to tell him how she'd hunted in the orchard through the famine. Explain how it wasn't enough for one pack. But how many other ways did she have to explain it? Her previous effort had yielded nothing but frustration.

She sighed heavy, letting her breath rush out in resignation. Her eyes dropped away from him and to the right. This encounter was pointless. Tokino shared none of her concerns. The wind continued to stir her coat and dully she registered the scent of a hare. He was saying more and Iopah listened with her gaze still turned away. She jerked her head up to him in clear shock. Did he think it was that simple? That she would let her family politely starve in the west?

She snorted roughly. "I'll neither seek out or avoid your wolves. I will keep my family fed and if we get another winter like last, I will guarantee nothing."

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Tokino - Oct 29, 2014

[dohtml]

His icy eyes narrowed on the female as her body reacts in irritation. Then Tokino watches as the Iopah she wolf sighs in defeat and turns her burning gaze away from his own. His raised hackles flatten once more at this subtle submission before he flicks his own ears forward in an aggressive manner. A flicker of amusement crossed his face as she answered promptly and looked back to him. He found her words funny because he was expecting the fiery blooded she wolf to react and answer in the way she did. However Tokino simply nods in acceptance of her words and keeps his expression a calm one. He was not going to back down or walk away from this woman despite the tiny ounce of concern that had begun to spring to life in his gut.

Tokino didn't want enemies to the west AND to the south of his own pack. That was just asking to be attacked and destroyed by them. Especially since he could recall Nari saying that her pack was allied with a pack in the far north. He guessed that it was Secret Woodlands, and that meant trouble for them. He would have to voice the idea of moving their pack at some point to Minka. At least to get the idea out there. Though he had no thoughts of moving until after the winter was over.

Turning his icy blue eyes back to Iopah after a moment of looking towards the forest, Tokino let a slow silent snarl spread across his muzzle. A silent warning for Iopah to move away or leave. He didn't want her near the border any more. Especially if she was going to waste precious time that could be spent hunting or marking the borders. If you are done talking then may I ask you to leave... Now. It wasn't so much a question than a statement as he stared in Iopah's direction. His ears were flattened forward now as well as his tail ever so slowly rising behind him once more.

Minka & Tokino

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Iopah - Nov 05, 2014

@Tokino[dohtml]

She'd been dumb-founded by Tokino's every response so far. He'd shrugged upon learning a rival pack resided in the thickets that neighbored his land. Then, when Iopah had mentioned the harsh winter and the risk of them living so close the alpha had smiled.

Golden eyes wide now, she watched for a reaction to her words. Already she was prepared to dash away quickly, dark nails holding a firm grip in the dirt. She'd promised Darwin's theory. Survival of the fittest... at the expense of the Black Thorn wolves. It was a cruel promise to make. Even without an ounce of remorse she could admit that. She gaped at the nod. When he turned away to look into the forest, Iopah followed his gaze, desperate to understand. Nothing he did made any sense to the Barberi woman.

He turned back to her slowly, face morphing as he did. Iopah took a silent step back, for once understanding this male. Her time here was running out. She pushed backwards, drawing all four of her pale feet after her, then stopped at his voice. He was still staring, and her tawny ears and smoke-tinged body all leaned away from him. Ears swerved to catch his words. The ears pulled back sharply as a disdainful sneer crossed her lips, "No point talkin' is there?"

There was no waiting for his response as she continued to back away. Pushing backwards through canes while keeping her gaze on Tokino. Iopah knew the answer to her question anyways. Tokino failed to appreciate the danger that would come from living so close to another pack. Nothing Iopah could say would make him realize that.

[/dohtml]

RE: You came at me like a cannonball - Tokino - Nov 11, 2014

Fade maybe? IDK, It's really tiny. I don't know why I couldn't type more for this O.o'

[dohtml]

Tokino let his silent snarl turn to a deep loud one as the she wolf spoke up once more. His fur puffed out making him look larger as Tokino finally released the tension in his legs and sprang at the retreating female. He had had enough of her grating voice on his ears. He would make sure she left his territory and stayed out of it.

(fade?)

Minka & Tokino

[/dohtml]