Ruins of Wildwood
Bramble Falls Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore V (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+---- Thread: Bramble Falls Water doesn't quite soothe everything (/showthread.php?tid=7614)

Pages: 1 2

Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Laurel - Jul 23, 2014

An unceremonious flop beside the small pool of water announced Laurel's presence to the fishy residents of a small waterfall. She didn't bother with poise as she quenched her thirst- the dark female simply dropped her head in the water and tried to contain as much as she could. It was uncomfortable, but it also soothed her dry throat quickly, and gave her belly some semblance of nutrition.

"At this point, I don't care if I ever see another goose again..." she muttered darkly, once she was done. Although, if she were to be honest with herself, Laurel wouldn't have minded if some prey animal just dropped dead before her. Her stomach felt like was twisting inside-out with hunger, and her paws! They ached a great deal; She suspected that her pads were torn up as well, but she couldn't bring herself to look.

Lazily stretching forward, Laurel dunked her front paws in and sighed. She didn't care if it looked like rain, she didn't care that her fur was already wet, she didn't care that she was unprotected, she didn't care that she didn't know were she was, and she didn't care that fish were nibbling on her toes. She was tired, and it wasn't likely for her to get up soon.

What was I thinking? The pool sparkled here and there as clouds began to obstruct the sun. Me, a lone wolf? Laurel laughed at herself and her silly notions, then promptly dropped her head back in for another drink.

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Kato - Jul 24, 2014

In 3, 2, 1, NOW! Teeth carved of gleaming white stone sliced through the hare's life-giving artery, cutting off the bloodflow and shivering ever so slightly as scarlet fluid dribbled down his pale jaw. "At this point, I don't care if I ever see another goose again..." The youth's ears cocked sideways in confusion. It certainly hadn't been him who muttered such despairing words... Or maybe they weren't despairing. The tone was too somber for that. Snatching his catch in his jaws, his paws carried him in a smooth trot as he went in search of a fruitful investigation.

As the ceaseless crashing and tumbling of a waterfall grew nearer, so did he to his destination. And as he turned a corner round a thick oak tree, the tawny boy reared back, startled to find a worn and weary figure lying in the pool of water. Shock passed quickly though, and it was not long before he was bounding through the mud and weeds to stand at her side. Before he spoke, he noted that somewhere along his route his hare had dropped from his grasp, and turning his head, he saw it laying almost gracefully in the muck, as if he had arranged it to be buried rather than dropped inattentively in the wet. Clouds crisscrossed the sun, and he was thankful for his thick fur as an unusually icy breeze accompanied the lessening of light.

"Are you alright miss? How can I help you? Concern rippled in his voice, for this young female seemed his age, and she appeared completely spent. Glancing quickly at her eyes to deliver a look of sincere apology and concern, he sniffed her pelt delicately, making sure to keep his black nose a safe distance from her fur should she lash out at him or suddenly get up, in which case he would spring backwards and apologize as quickly as his mouth could form the words. The sharp tang of blood reached his scent glands, yet at the present moment he could not determine its source.

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Laurel - Jul 24, 2014

As tired as she was, Laurel was slightly surprised when she heard the voice beside her, but then quickly realized it's intent. She turned her head to see a wolf about her age sniffing her with concern. Her was slightly more compact than she was, but certainly seemed to be doing much better health wise.

She wondered, was he part of a pack? Could she ask to join? Or perhaps he wasn't- she had to keep in mind that looks could be deceiving. She wouldn't mind one way or another, he seemed friendly enough...she also wondered what would lead a wolf to walk up to a stranger and ask if they were okay. It seemed sort of dangerous. But she was tired, so she put wonderings aside to a answer his question.

"Yes I'm fine," she replied with shy countenance, "It´s just that I haven't been on my own for very long, and I didn't realize being alone was so hard..." She considered getting up to greet him properly, but her paws loved the water so much that they wouldn't cooperate. Her tail had no complaints, so she simply wagged it in a friendly manner instead.

"My name is Laurel," she smiled amicably. "What's yours?"

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Kato - Jul 24, 2014

Her head turned to view him, and he lifted his head backwards by a hairsbreadth. Steel grey eyes checked him over, and she must've found nothing obvious to fault, for her voice sounded a little more relaxed to him. Yes I'm fine, it's just that I haven't been on my own for very long, and I didn't realize being alone was so hard..." A soft whine escaped him, for he too knew the perils of the first little while after separation from one's usual pack. Laughing, he realized he should probably explain.

My name is Laurel, what's yours? As his mouth opened to speak, she continued. Now the tawny youth felt rather silly. He had nearly forgotten to introduce himself! "Laurel is a lovely name, unique too. I've never heard it before. A type of plant, I believe, isn't it?" He paused, sat down in the shallow water, and continued. "My name is Kato. I understand... about being alone. It is rather difficult. I've been on my own for a year now. My parents sent me away to find my own life, to start a home of my own. It takes time, but you'll understand. In fact, why don't I help you? You can come with me, I'll help you learn the ropes, and maybe you can stay with me, for a while. If you'd rather not, I understand. But for the time being, I have a hare I'll share with you. And you smell like you're bleeding. I don't know very much about herbs, but if you need help I can see if there's anything about..." Rambling on, he realized that his offer sounded rather silly. Why would she want to spend time with him, a stranger she'd just barely met? She knew nothing about him, and for all she knew, he could be trying to lure her in so he could kill her, or something like that! It was up to the tone of his voice and those captivating eyes of his now, he supposed. Turning to look softly down at her, he prayed desperately that she understood what he meant by that.

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Laurel - Jul 25, 2014

Laurel's small cache of trust increased when he whined- she assumed- sympathetically. His tone was kind and inviting, and his eyes were so, peculiar; small flecks of shining green with brown. She had never seen that before. Her spirits lifted slightly when he sat down, rambling away to her, a complete stranger.

He's offering me his company, Laurel's logic finally shook the weariness off and began to work.He's so open and nice, I- maybe I could trust him? At least until I find a pack...

"Yeah it is a plant," Her paws swayed in the water lazily, "my mother thought it was a nice name. Kato sounds like a nice name too- it sounds like your parents are really proud of you. I had to leave because there were too many wolves, and not enough food-" Laurel strained to forget how pitiful her nephews had seemed. "I would appreciate if you could teach me a few things, and I-I'd like to stay in your company, if it wouldn't be too much of a burden." At that moment her stomach decided to loudly reminded her that Kato had mentioned a hare.

"I couldn't eat the hare though, I-I mean it smells very nice, and I like to eat hares, but my parents always taught me to partake in the hunt before you partake in the meal, and you caught it fairly-" Her paws instinctively drew inward, as if to anchor her stomach from moving the rest of her body to descend on the rabbit behind them. It was then, Laurel noticed, that her prediction of the ragged state her paws were in was true. She blinked- "I am bleeding..."

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Kato - Jul 25, 2014

"Thank you, and I'm sorry to hear about your family. It would be my pleasure to help you out, and of course you wouldn't be a burden." A loud rumble proceeded to interrupt their conversation. He looked around cluelessly before discovering when she continued to speak that the source of the sound was actually the girl's stomach. A laugh at his own ignorance threatened to show itself, but Laurel proceeded to explain to him why she felt entitled not to eat a share of his hare. It was all he could do not to interrupt her.

"Oh, don't worry about that! I want you to have it. Please, I don't mind. I get plenty to eat." Kato watched as she pulled her paws closer to her, and admittedly he was as surprised as she was. "
I am bleeding..."
And indeed she was! The tawny boy's jaw dropped open slightly, and frantically he searched the reaches of his brain for any knowledge he had on medicinal herbs to help stop her bleeding. "Goodness, you are!" He paused for a moment, thinking. "I know what to do. When I was tracking that hare, I passed a white fir tree. I think it's supposed to help cure cuts. But golly, what kind of terrain were you crossing? Those are some gnarly pads,". Kato stood up, watching his new friend and traveling companion with genuine concern. "The tree isn't too far away. I'll be right back. You stay here and eat that hare." Smiling, he trotted over to his hare, dropped it beside her, prepared to bound off into the forest.

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Laurel - Jul 29, 2014

"Thank you," Laurel replied, still hesitant to eat the kill. But it would've been rude at this point to refuse, and she was so hungry... Her stomach gave a growl like thunder, and she gave into her instincts.

I'll save him a leg at least... the dark wolf thought as she tore into flesh and fur. and maybe we can go hunting for something bigger later. The hare was a tender young thing, so it was easier to eat without putting too much strain on her bleeding paws.

"I don't quite remember what terrain I crossed..." She mumbled, half to herself. I remember lots of little rocks...and mean beavers, and, and... When her trail of thought ended Laurel realized she had no idea how to get back home. Most of her trip was running in a wild stupor, convinced that this was justice. Perhaps it was best this way- she wouldn't have all her siblings to compete with for food. Strangers, she could hurt- loved ones, not so much.

When another rumble struck, Laurel thought of eating the leg anyway, but soon discovered that a storm was approaching. It was a good distance away, but she furrowed her eyebrows in apprehension- she didn't like getting wet without good reason.

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Kato - Aug 05, 2014

The fawn furred boy found the white fir tree with relative ease. It was even closer than he'd thought, and if he listened hard he could still here Laurel devouring the hare. Unsure what to do next, he studied the tree awkwardly for a minute or two before deciding his best bet was to take back some of the bark. It was a quick trip back, and by the time he returned, all that was left of his catch was a leg. The tawny youth wondered briefly why she hadn't eaten the whole thing before his attention was stolen away by a rumble too loud to have come from a stomach.

Nervously, his unique eyes probed the surrounding foliage in search of possible danger from a bear or large cat, but he neither saw nor scented anything worrisome. Relaxing slightly, he turned his gaze to the horizon, where a heavy bank of steely thunderheads was approaching fast from the west. "Looks like a storm is coming. It won't be here right away though, so there's enough time for us to get undercover without having to rush. Clouds can only move so fast,"

He took a few steps forward to inspect her paws again, keeping his snout a safe distance away. After all, it would be counter-productive if he seemed too nosy. "Here, I grabbed some of that bark I mentioned. Usually you chew this stuff into a paste and then rub it onto your cut, but you should probably wait until we find shelter. You finish off this leg while I go find us somewhere dry. I'll bet there's something to be found by the waterfall,"

Stretching luxuriously, he began to lope toward the rocks surrounding the waterfall. Perhaps he could find somewhere dry, and maybe even warm, to sleep in.

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Laurel - Aug 06, 2014

Laurel hadn't noticed that Kato had left and returned in good speed while she was eating the hare. Was I really that hungry? She didn't feel so hungry now- in fact, she felt a little more ready to get up and try hunting again. That is, if it weren't for her paws. When he came back with the bark, Kato looked slightly confused at the leftover leg. Laurel was about to tell him why she didn't eat it when he swiveled his gaze about and announced the coming storm.

Clouds can only move so fast,

With these paws,she grumbled to herself as Kato came forward to take a look, I'll bet I can move slower.

Here, I grabbed some of that bark I mentioned. Laurel sniffed at it, and found it's smell somewhat pleasant as Kato explained how to use it. She chanced a bite into the papery thing, and found it stronger than she expected. It didn't taste as pleasant as it smelled either. She wondered how deer could even stand to eat bushels of it in the winter- for about the umpteenth time in her life, Laurel was glad to not be a deer. They had such stick-like legs, and she wondered how in the world could they feel the dirt under their feet if it was so hard?

As her mind wandered about, Kato had already moved off- probably to find shelter as he said he would. Laurel considered getting up to help when she noticed the hare's hind leg still beside her. "Ah! Kato! Kato, the leg was for you!"

RE: Water doesn't quite soothe everything - Kato - Aug 06, 2014

"Ah, Kato! Kato, the leg was for you!" His elegant tawny head swiveled around to face her. Well, this spot would have to do. Looking back at what smelled like it had once been home to some other creature, but the cave had been vacant so long the scent was too stale for even his keen nose to determine who or what had once lived there. It was dry, easily accessible, would comfortably accommodate the both of them, and would be warm once their two warm bodies were inside keeping it warm. Satisfied, he returned to his friend.

"You didn't have to save me any, you know," he said quietly with a smile. The fawn and silver youth was getting to really like this girl. Like his mother, she was kind, thoughtful, and considerate. Laurel also seemed braver and more independent than his mother though, and he really liked that. A thought struck him just then, and it was so wonderful, he wondered how he hadn't come up with it earlier.

"Laurel, I, I haven't mentioned this yet, but I want to ask you this. I've been trying to start a home of my own, a pack. I'm wondering, would you be willing to, would you want to stay with me? And be a part of my pack?" His eyes, brimming with hopefulness, met hers in an almost pleading fashion. A moment later, he added, "You don't have to decide right now and if you don't want to I understand." He didn't want to seem rude, but he really hoped she would say yes.