Ruins of Wildwood
Oak Tree Bend Stars Align - Printable Version

+- Ruins of Wildwood (https://relic-lore.net)
+-- Forum: Library (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Game Archives (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Relic Lore V (https://relic-lore.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+---- Thread: Oak Tree Bend Stars Align (/showthread.php?tid=8499)

Pages: 1 2

Stars Align - Darrah - Dec 15, 2014

[dohtml]

@Oliver

It was particularly chilly out. Darrah has recently discovered that the cold made him rather uncomfortable, but the temperature wouldn't bother him tonight. He'd never seen a night sky quite as beautiful as this one and nothing would stop him from enjoying every last moment of it. The prince decided it best to lay his body down on the ice-kissed ground that resided only right outside of his den. "Everybody's sleeping..." he thought regrettably. "They're all missing such a wonderful thing.." There wasn't much in this world that he could truly enjoy, but the night sky.. That was just something else to him. It was so mysterious, so.. Inviting. He wished it possible to dance among the stars.. Even just for a moment. "I don't think they really see what I see anyways... I don't think anyone will ever understand what I have up there..." The Tainn murmured. Nights like this were when the boy could think his deepest thoughts. He made it a point to sneak out almost three times a week just to enjoy the show and be himself.

"It's funny..." he pawed at the bitter dreary earth below him. "I was born in this pack.. I'll probably even die in this pack.. But I don't really talk to anyone.. I don't really have any friends.. I always just wander off on my own.. Is that my fault?" his sister was very social, as were a lot of others in his pack.. But he was always so... alone. "I should spend less time with nature and more time with my family I think..." His gaze never left the sky, he'd hope to see his first shooting star tonight. "Maybe then I could just wish for some friends or something.." he chuckled.

dawnthieves
[/dohtml]
I take so long to respond. Feel free to punch me X(

RE: Stars Align - Oliver - Dec 17, 2014

[dohtml]

The stars were beautiful. Oliver had come across such night skies in his travels, but he could never truly just take a moment and admire them in all their glory. The only reason why he had the time now was because he had recently started doing all his work at night.

....Well, okay, he had only just put this new plan to work today- but the concept was simple. If he stayed awake when other wolves did not, and worked all night through to sleep in the day, he would not have to come across Drestig unless the elder wolf woke him on purpose. Essentially cutting off the two's interaction without having to stop being a productive member of the pack. He was slightly confused why he hadn't thought of this earlier.

Of course, it could be blamed on the wound on his forehead. Even though he had treated it, and managed to stop up the bleeding with white fur paste, it still hurt. A lot. But the small man supposed it was for the best- the lingering pain kept Galley at bay.

As it was, now that he had used some of the white fur bark on himself, he needed to restock his store- it was hard to get all the good pieces without jumping, and since it was winter, the herds of deer were trying to muscle in on the supply. He was lucky to get the few swatches that he did, and it was with weary disposition that he made way towards his medicine den. Passing by the pack den nearly gave Galley the strength to rise above the dull pain of Oliver's head wound, but it was the interesting sight of the Oak Tree Bend prince that made the both of them hushed. What was the young boy doing up so late?

Laying his supply on the snowy ground, Oliver gingerly walked up to give greeting."Hello, your highness. Shouldn't you be in bed?"

"Speech"
My tangled mind You're still with me

Dawnthieves.de - Table by PuppyThief
[/dohtml]

RE: Stars Align - Darrah - Dec 17, 2014

[dohtml]

The prince caught a sudden chill as an almost unfamiliar voice interrupted his train of thought. "Shouldn't you be in bed?" Muscles tensed, his head whipped around to observe his new found company. Raven fur with creams poking through... Dainty in size.. 'Ol....Oliver?' he tried to remember the name. Because of his reclusive lifestyle, Darrah never really bothered to learn names if he didn't have to. It wasn't meant to be a rude gesture, he was just very fond of procrastinating.. And never really talked to this particular wolf before. "Oh, I'm sorry.. You're... Oliver right?" he let his body relax just a touch. 'I should of known it would be someone from the pack. I'm right outside of the den, who else would it of been.. Wait..' he paused in thought. 'Didn't he ask me something just then..?' his mind grew hazy

Some short amount of silence passed before it finally hit the poor prince "Oh Uhm.. Why.. am I up this late? I mean.. That's what you asked uhh..." Although the boy was just complaining about how nobody was up to share this sight with him, he didn't quite know what to say. What would an older wolf do if he said he was admiring the night sky? Would they understand? Or would they simply just laugh in his face..? He was stuck in a bind as he couldn't really think of another excuse that sounded any less pathetic. "Well I mean.. Cold weather like this is new to me so I'm soaking it in as much as I can.. Getting used to it before the worst comes.. Other wolves keep telling me that the winter is gonna get a lot worse and uhh.. Well honestly the night sky helps me think.. It's just so beautiful and clear tonight. I would've hated myself if I missed it!" he silenced himself, was he talking to much? Perhaps trying to hard to make himself sound less goofy than he felt? 'Compose yourself Darrah Tainn.' the inky wolf took a deep breathe before speaking once more. "And how about you? W-what are you doing out so late might I ask?

[/dohtml]

RE: Stars Align - Oliver - Dec 17, 2014

[dohtml]

The prince's awkward response brought a rare genuine smile to Oliver's face. Was it really so long ago that he was not unlike this pup? Perhaps even more awkward than him, and certainly without security of future, but the image was there all the same.

"Yes, that's me. I wouldn't blame you if you just out here for the stars- winter seems to give a crisp clarity to the night sky. In fact, I can pick out a few constellations."

Galley hissed. You're starting sound like a sentimental old fool...

It was you who had showed me those constellations, if you'd remember. Oliver dared to hiss back.

Though the smile never left his visage, it soon turned to a false expression of contentment, the internal conflict wreaking havoc on his nerves, no matter how small the interaction. Slightly distressed, Oliver considered saying good night and departing to hunt down some rabbits for the caches. But then Darrah returned his question, and the realization nearly knocked him down.

What would he say? That he was trying to become nocturnal in order to avoid killing a pack mate? Or that a voice inside his head was too active around certain wolves for him to walk about during the day? Both were very true, but neither were things that he wanted to say to the prince- it would undoubtedly pass on to Triell and he'd be kicked out on his rump.

Luckily enough, years of silvertongued escapes kicked in- "Ah, Well, I haven't been here for very long, but I want to show your father that I'm committed, so I'm working late, trying to get white fur bark before those blasted deer come tearing through the that part of the forest again. I simply don't understand why they can't eat other trees, or at the very least, st the higher parts of the tree!" Okay, so maybe his intense dislike for the practices of deer and their hooved fellows shone through his answer, but at the very least Oliver hadn't said anything incriminating.

"Speech"

[/dohtml]

Re: - Spirit of Wildwood - Dec 17, 2014

Shallow water has trapped several fish in a small pond. Hunt Opportunity

RE: Stars Align - Darrah - Dec 19, 2014

[dohtml]

The prince let out a huge sigh of relief as Oliver spoke of constellations. "You can do that? See I don't know any constellations yet! Except for the big and little dipper of course. Those two are easy!" he shrugged and began to stare back at the diamonds in the sky. "Maybe you could show me them sometime... I think I'd like to know some more.." the boy smiled lightly.

'In other words.. He wants my dads acceptance...' honestly that was something the prince could touch on. Was he not just thinking about wanting to be accepted himself? Though he thought Oliver had a better shot at it here. 'Adults just like talking to other adults...' he winced. "Well my father will definitely appreciate it. Your hard work will not go unnoticed.." he took another look at his company, this time with a less happy expression. "But... I-it might take time.. So don't get discouraged.. With my.." taking a rather large gulp, he stuttered on. "W-with.. I'm sorry.. With my mother... gone now.. He.. We all are.. A little uhm.. Scatter brained.." he was truly trying to hide the fact that he was choking back tears. This was the first time he's even mentioned his mother to anyone let alone her disappearance. He had to be strong though, he had to be strong for the rest of his family. It was his duty as Prince of Oak Tree Bend. "So your hard work might not be seen immediately. It will take time... But it will be noticed, and everyone will appreciate it.. I know I do. You're trying harder than anyone I've seen so far at least.. I-if you ever need help with gathering anything, feel free to ask me.. I'm up late these days anyways.. I can't help with the deer though really, pesky little buggers." he huffed, trying to free his mind from the majority of what he just said.

[/dohtml]

RE: Stars Align - Oliver - Dec 20, 2014

[dohtml]

Oliver let out a puff of mock indignation. Little? Compared to me, those 'buggers' are huge!" Smiling at the poke of his own stature he appreciated the offer of help "I would really enjoy having you help me. Perhaps then, you could learn about different herbs as well as constellations." The boy's obvious pain over his mother didn't escape Oliver's eyes. Truth be told, if Darrah hadn't nearly choked up on the subject, he would've thought something was wrong with the prince.

The small man couldn't just something like that alone- nobody had comforted him when Galley had died. It'd be cruel to leave Darrah without at least a little.....something."I'm sorry about your mother. She seems like she was a great leader, seeing she has so much influence. Don't be sorry- it hurts when someone leaves suddenly. The best thing to do is to take the lessons you've learned from them and make sure to use them. " ...But Nayeli might not be dead....simply missing. What am I telling him?"Since I have a little more free range than other wolves, I'll see what I can do about searching for her. I don't mind waiting for recognition."

Aha! Galley cried with an audible smirk, his silence ended. The bastard feels attached to this family, doesn't he? Oh ho, this little boy has so much potential! See how he feels about Drestig....

Oliver's maw formed a scowl. No! I won't do that! Absolutely not!

"Speech"

[/dohtml]

RE: Stars Align - Darrah - Dec 21, 2014

[dohtml]

If Darrah wasn't covered in fur, you would be able to tell that he was blushing like mad with embarrassment. "Y-yeah... I remember the first time I saw them, they were like giants back then!" he chuckled. "I've still never even killed one. They are so intimidating that I just keep putting the thought off way in the back of my head. I'll be ready one day, but not anytime soon!" The thought of actually hunting made him nervous. Everyone else in his pack was so good at it! What if he wasn't? 'Better not dwell on something that hasn't even happened yet..' Oliver accepted his offer of help, and even offered some help himself! This made Darrah grin. "I kinda always wanted to learn about herbs.. It's a great skill to have really. You'll always know what to do in an emergency. What you do is great Oliver!" and of course the constellations.. Learning herbs made him happy but.. Stars made this prince the happiest.

As the conversation steered back in the direction of his mother, he wanted nothing more than to find a way to change the subject. The boy didn't know how to deal with loss, and he really didn't care to find out in front of a fellow pack mate. Oliver was being so kind though, Darrah just let him say what he had to say if only even not to sound rude. "Y-yeah.. She was pretty amazing... I miss her a lot..." he sighed. His company talked of helping search for her but, honestly, Darrah already anticipated the worst. His mother was probably dead. If he thought about it for too long he'd drive himself crazy, but it was more than likely the truth. "Thank you.. You're a very kind wolf Oliver.. We needed someone like you around.." he let out a soft smile.

[/dohtml]

RE: Stars Align - Oliver - Dec 22, 2014

[dohtml]

There it was again- the instance of another wolf saying he was kind. Knowing the truth- that he was a clever coward- Oliver's ragged ears folded slightly with a wry smile."I'm not nearly as kind as I should be." What sort of actions had he taken for such an image to be attached to him? The phenomenon was peculiar at best, and slightly disturbing at worst. Had he suddenly become a saint overnight?

The thought perplexed the small man for a minute, the prospects of possibilities whirling around his head. But then:

The kid! Find out what the bastard has to do with the kid!

No!

"Now then," Oliver continued, turning his eyes towards the sky, "we might as well start while we're here and the night's still young." He was slightly surprised to find that he was actually eager to teach Darrah what he knew. Was this feeling what attached Galley to him? "The Big Dipper and Little Dipper actually have alternate names: Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. Great Bear and Little Bear in Latin, respectively. A lot of other wolves I've come across in my travels all agree that these constellations represent the bears before they lost their tails."

A cream colored paw raised to point out another group of stars. "The brightest star in the sky is part of Lupus Major, the Great Wolf. And he chases the human hunter Orion across the sky. Orion stand on two paws- like a bear- and his waist is made up of three stars that line up in a row. Can you see them?"

"Speech"

[/dohtml]

RE: Stars Align - Darrah - Jan 02, 2015

[dohtml]

Darrah picked up on the slight drift in Olivers mood. "What makes you think that? I think you're great! Who else would let an annoying little kid tag along with him? And teach him even! Plus all the good things your doing for the pack I mean..." He'd hoped to perk up the wolfs spirits. The prince knew all too well how awful it felt to be down on yourself. "Keep your head up high Oliver! I don't know what we'd do without you!" he grinned and let his tail wag loosely.

"Ursa major and Ursa minor.. Great bear and little bear.." he whispered, trying to lock the names in his head. "I didn't know they had alternate names! That's really cool!" he looked up to the sky in admiration. "You know.. They really do look like bears without their tails now that I'm taking a closer look.. How'd you learn all this stuff?" He was glad he had someone to show him the ropes of the sky. His brain screamed for more information, it was a beautiful thing to have information on just exactly what you spend so much time staring at.

He squinted a little to get a better look at the three stars his company spoke of. "Yeah.. Yeah! I see them now!" The great wolf huh? He'd never of guessed that the stars even told a story. Oliver really was a great wolf.

[/dohtml]