(See All?) Announcements
638 Users Online
Google, Bing, Chaos

The Unexpected Hurts a Lot — Round Stone Crest 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Ghost who has 291 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Draven Leigh
ooc: @Gent 8/18/15, afternoon, not far from the den. Draven is currently a giant pile of OW with some sprinklings of ALL MICE ARE EVIL on top.

Draven was in a very, very bad mood today. He had wanted to go out playing with his siblings today - he missed playing with them sometimes, and anyway after his hunt he felt like going on a more exciting adventure today. But he couldn't have kept up with them at all like he was! His stupid toe hurt more and more every day, instead of getting better like it was supposed to. The bite that dumb little mouse had given him was still red, and now it was starting to get puffy and gross-looking. That would have been fine if it didn't hurt so bad! He couldn't walk or stand on it for very long without having to lift it off of the ground again or sit or lay down...

It was really starting to scare him a little bit, although he tried to hide how bad it hurt and didn't tell anybody how scared he was. But he was really scared, because this wasn't like the bumps and scratches he got from wrestling with his siblings or playing outside the den. Those all stopped hurting and went away after a few days, but this bite was hurting worse and worse. What was wrong with his foot? Was it dying? Was his toe coming off? Would they have to take his toe off so he could keep his foot?

He whimpered and crouched low against the ground, squeezing his eyes shut against the images in his head. Oh, no! That was it, wasn't it? He must have waited too long to clean the bite when he got it, and now his toe was dying and his foot might come off or be crippled forever and then he wouldn't ever be able to hunt or fight or even scout around because he'd have to stay cooped up in the den forever so he didn't get hurt--!

A loud, distressed yelp tore its way out of the little black prince, followed by a long series of more yelps. He was going to lose his foot! He was going to be crippled and have to stay in the den like Calanthe had had to when she first got here, and while she started doing things he was gonna have to sit around and never do stuff because he was going to lose a foot and how was a three-footed wolf supposed to do anything useful for a pack?!

[Image: draven-greypixel01.gif]
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 711 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
Gent hadn't been too far from Draven's location, though he had been on his way out, needing to take his turn in patrolling the perimeter until the midnight hour. It had been a calm day, with enough clouds to keep the sun at bay and a pleasant wind cooling the land, just as the king liked it. As things were going, it should have been uneventful, but as the man made his trek down the mountainside, a chilling sound quickly shattered the prediction. Abruptly he turned, senses frantically scanning ahead of himself. When another yelp pierced the air, not a single sound more was needed, though a horrified symphony still ensued. The blue black leviathan launched himself forward, racing as swiftly as possible back up the easy mountainside to the main den.

Many thoughts and images panned through his mind, his blood running cold as irrationality took him and he feared the worst. Never before had one of the children made such a terrible racket, filled so with pure fear, and the adoptive father had never quite been so scared before, even upon discovering Raela crumpled to the ground in the wake of Vitani's fading scent.

In moments he was there, and nostrils flaring to take in all the air they could while his pale eyes rapidly scanned the area to assess the situation. There were no intruders, and no predators around. Nothing living was in proximity that he could tell, and so he focused on the child who had been wailing so. Even when he appeared to be unharmed, the adrenaline refused to drain from his system and he still was unreasonably afraid that something horrible had happened to his son.

"What's wrong?" he asked, nothing but urgency in his voice.
Inactive No Rank
Draven Leigh

Nobody's going to want me, I'm gonna be broken and look like a freak and everybody's gonna be embarassed with me and nobody's gonna want me anymore because I'll look weird and different and I'm never gonna hunt again or fight or run or play or jump or walk and Momma's gonna kick me out of the pack and I'm gonna die because I'm gonna be all alone and never see anybody again and-- Draven's whining cut off into a much more startled yelp as Gent's voice finally cut through his panic, clearing away some of his frantic thoughts for a moment.

The boy's coal-colored head snapped up. “Gent!" he called, at first relieved to see the giant. Gent could fix his foot! Gent knew all kinds of things; he could bring Draven straight back to the den and fix his foot... right in front of everybody. Oh. "I... n-nothing!" Fern green eyes locked with Gent's icy blue gaze as Draven scrambled clumsily to his paws, ears still flat against his head. Oh, no! He should never have let Gent hear him! If he told the towering man what was wrong, he'd make Draven tell everybody else, and then somebody might take his foot off - or maybe he'd just make him tell Minka, and then she would send him away without even trying to help him and he'd end up stuck out all alone with a withered up old twig for a leg and--

Caught up again in his own imagination, Draven failed to notice the feather laying quill-up beneath him until he stepped right on it with his bad foot, driving the sharp end into his bite.

OW! Draven stumbled to the side and fell over, his paw burning and seeping again from the feather jab. At least the feather didn't stick - no, except now Gent could see what was wrong! Oh, no, oh, no!

“It's only a little hurt!” the terrified pup insisted, heedless of whether or not Gent had actually said anything. “It's just a cut! Please don't take my toe off or send me away, please!”

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a deer that was killed by a lynx nearby. +10 Health
Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
Draven's response was absolutely not what was expected by the monarch, and his shock was very much evident as his face twisted with confusion. Not only did he claim that there was nothing wrong, something that was very much impossible given the frantic racket he had been making, but he seemed nervous and maybe even ashamed, as though he'd been caught doing something that Gent and his mother had told him a thousand times before he shouldn't be.

"... Nothing?" he repeated, jaws left ever slightly agape even after the word had dissipated from the air. It couldn't be believed, and Gent stepped forward, intending to fully inspect the child and find the truth. Draven had already been a step ahead of him, backpedaling away in a clear attempt to hide something, causing Gent's eyes to narrow ever so slightly.

When the child harmed himself further, letting out a yelp and falling over, the adoptive father's eyes widened in surprise and his ears shot forward, his overwhelming concern absolutely clear. Yet he felt relief, for Draven quickly opened his mouth to finally admit what was wrong, even if defensively. If he'd done nothing more than cut his paw, then this situation wasn't bad at all, and certainly not as horrid as the protective patriarch's imagination had thought.

Gent continued forward, hooking a large paw over Draven's side and pulling him toward himself as he plopped down prone into the dirt. Cradling the boy between his forelimbs, he inspected the paw which had clearly been the one to pain him when he had stepped atop the misplaced feather.

"Why would I do any of that?" he asked him kindly, as his mind noted the infection that was clearly festering inside the tiny wound and ran through the list of what he would need to solve this problem.
Inactive No Rank
Draven Leigh

The youngest Crest prince squeaked in surprise (and maybe a tiny bit of fear) as Gent scooped him against his side and cradled him between his big forelegs. Oh, no! He was gonna bite Draven's toe off anyway! The dark pup squeezed his eyes shut and turned his head away, hoping it wouldn't hurt too much...

"Why would I do any of that?" The giant's voice was kind, not mocking or mean or angry or anything like what Draven had thought it might sound like. That and the fact that his toe and foot and leg all still seemed to be attached to the rest of him gave Draven enough courage to peek up at Gent with one eye - but he kept the other one closed, just in case Gent was just looking for a good spot to bite.

“Because my toe isn't getting better.” Did Gent really not understand what was wrong after all? Maybe he couldn't help Draven. Then again, if he didn't know what the problem was, maybe the enormous black wolf also wouldn't try biting off any part of Draven's foot or leg... But then that also meant Draven didn't know whether or not there was a way to get his toe fixed without having it taken off, either, and the suspense was killing him. “It's hurting more and more, even though I cleaned it after the dumb mouse bit me. It's not going away like all the other times I get scraped or bump into something.”

His ears started sliding back against his head again, having pricked for a moment at Gent's question. He really couldn't think of anything else Gent could do but take off his foot, just to make sure he got rid of whatever was keeping his toe from getting better. Obviously something was wrong with it, and if that something had gotten into his cut, how did they know it wouldn't get into the rest of him, too?

“...Are you gonna have to take my toe off?” he asked in a very, very small voice.

Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
Gent couldn't quite understand the fear that was so clearly prevalent inside the tiny boy's mind. It was obviously directed toward him, as though he had ever hurt the child before in his life, and it honestly was worming its way into his heart and infecting him with a kind of... sadness. Still, he persisted in his work, thoroughly inspecting the paw before running his rough tongue over the wound. It wasn't until Draven's final, meek question that it all fell into place and the adoptive father felt some relief, unable to help but chuckling.

"Nah, I suppose we won't go that far," he assured him with a broad smile. "You didn't clean it quite well enough it looks like, because you have an infection. If we would've let this gone for a long time, you definitely would've lost your toe, maybe even your whole foot or leg. But because we caught it early, we can fix it."

It was all the truth, but Gent intended more than just informing the child by saying it; hopefully this would teach Draven to be more forthcoming next time he was injured. The king hated the thought of one of his children hurting and nothing being done to remedy it.

"Do you remember Lugh's den, with all the different plants and roots he kept inside of it?" he asked him, for certainly the child could recall the three-legged man and his strange-smelling abode. It pained Gent slightly to bring the missing herbalist up, for he very much felt as though he had failed him. It shouldn't have been so difficult to track him down, but it had in fact proved to be impossible and now not only was the pack down a trained medic, but Gent had lost a close friend. Still, life marched on, and the king as the sole remaining practiced doctor had taken over Lugh's den and made sure to keep it stocked with all medicinal means available. Certainly they would have what Draven needed.
Inactive No Rank
Draven Leigh

Draven practically melted with relief as he listened to Gent assure him that, no, they didn't have to take off any part of his foot or leg - although it was scary to think that he could have lost something if he had waited any longer to tell somebody he was hurt. But how was he supposed to have known that, anyway? What if he had told somebody right away and ended up losing the toe after all because they didn't know as much as Gent did about this kind of stuff?

Oh, well. At least Gent was the one who had found him first, and now everything would be okay because Gent did know how to fix his toe without taking it off. That was a relief; now he wouldn't have to go through life hobbling around on three and a half legs. He could just hear Ari or Kino having to explain that to any strangers: "This is our little brother, Draven. He only has three legs, so we have to be careful not to play too rough with him." The humiliation ate at him even just thinking about it.

His coal-black ears pricked at Gent's question about Lugh's den. “That's the funny-smelling place with all the plants,” he informed the towering giant. “Why? Do we need to go there?” He wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea of walking all the way back to the den, but the black prince wasn't about to let Gent know that. He could manage limping around a little bit more - it was only a... a... what had Gent called it again? An infection?

“Hey, Gent?” the pup asked. “What's an infection?”

Inactive No Rank
Gent Lieris
You can have Draven ask more questions or transition them to the infirmary, or both, whichever works. (:

The funny smelling place. Gent let out a low chuff of laughter, the child's blunt observations able to lift the shadow of Lugh's absence from his mind slightly. He picked up also on the notes of gloom within Draven's voice, leary about traveling on his pain-filled appendage no doubt. Yet the whelp was now too large for Gent to carry without further harming the boy, and memories of when he could passed through his head. They were certainly growing too fast, some days. Regardless, perhaps the sore trip would further drive home within the little heir's head that when he was in pain, it was best to come to an adult about it as soon as possible instead of allowing it to get worse.

"Those funny smelling plants are used to heal," he informed his son, turning on his large paws to angle himself toward the infirmary as he spoke. "and as soon as we get to them, we can use them to make the pain go away."

With that, he started walking, determined to make the trip relatively quick but mindful of Draven and his festering injury all the same. His ears angled backward to catch the boy's question, and the answer came smoothly from betwixt his jaws.

"Every part of your body exists for a reason. Your skin is a barrier, meant to keep things like dirt and mouse spit out. So when it gets broken, and stuff gets inside that isn't supposed to be there, it infects you. The pain you feel is your body telling you that something is wrong, and you should always listen to it."
Inactive No Rank
Draven Leigh

Draven limped along after Gent, trying not to slow the giant man down too much despite the pain in his foot. He had done it to himself, after all, and he was too big to be carried around anymore without being hurt by that, too, so the dark pup knew he didn't really have much room to complain. Besides that, his pride stung too much already for him to be able to bear the shame that would come of hearing himself start whining over his war wound. Bad enough it wasn't fixing itself like it should be.

Hearing Gent answer his question made him tilt his head a bit. On one hand, what the man said made a great deal of sense to the little pup - it sounded kinda like his skin was a border and the pain was Guardians in his body fighting off the stuff that crossed that border. But then, shouldn't that also mean more of his injuries got infected?

“If it's infected 'cause of mouse spit, how come other scrapes I get don't get infected, too?” Pain momentarily forgotten, Draven trotted forward a bit until he was shoulder-to-front leg with Gent, his attention trained on the man. “I get scrapes from logs and rocks sometimes, or from Ari when I play wrestle with her.” Not from Kino. Not anymore, anyway; he'd gone to great lengths to avoid that litter mate as much as he possibly could, even when that meant going to fewer interesting places and doing less with Ari, who was often with Kino. “The rocks and Ari's claws are dirty, right? How come those scrapes don't get infected, too?”

Am going to assume that by this thread Kino and Draven are probably still at odds. FOR THE HONOR OF HIS DEAD MOWSE.