(See All?) Announcements
81 Users Online
Bing, Google, Bracken

Poll: How often do you use your timeline?
Regularly
Sometimes
Not at All
Other

[All Members] Timeline Poll
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
So it isn't a secret if you've looked at the maintenance thread at any time in the last 10 months or so that one of the remaining bugs I need to look at is our Timeline feature. I wanted to create this informal poll to determine how much the timeline feature is actually used. I've outlined the options below in more detail:

Regularly - I use the timeline regularly.
Sometimes - I would use the timeline more if the bugs were fixed.
Not at all - I do not use the timeline at all.
Other - Please explain with a post.

Since we have the threadlog and the character chapters, I'm wondering if it is worth it to keep the timeline feature around at this point. So vote and let me know what you think. Poll will remain open, but I will probably look at results in the next couple of days to make a decision.

Thanks for everybody who participates!
The reason I stopped using the timeline was because I was waiting for the things to be fixed. I tried getting Nari's all nice and pretty but many times the dates wouldn't change or the comments wouldn't save in.

I would've used it if it had been fixed, but I already typed up all of Gents by hand so I don't want to waste that...
[Image: h1qVva0.png]
[Image: 6lnzS4M.png]
I use it regularly, but as stated before, I haven't really thus far because of the issue. I've always liked it, though.
Not At All - but I'd like to add that that's directly because it doesn't make any sense to me, and hasn't really from the start. If there were a way to, say, add the thread id, IC date, and description into a box - like with Gossip Wall submissions - then it would be much easier and more fun to use.

I've borrowed @Raela's idea and started a from-scratch timeline of my own on the Miscellaneous page for my three most prominent characters, even though it can be a lot of extra work due to the coding and formatting, because for me it's important to keep a sensible timeline of when my characters did something so that I know when I can have them do something new. None of the threads have dates on those lists because it's extra work still, and the lists are hard to read once there are more than fifteen or so items, but it's something to help me keep track of things.

If the Timeline feature was more user-controlled, that would help a great deal. The only control I have over it is hiding individual threads, which I guess could be useful if any dead threads popped up on the Timeline, but otherwise it seems pretty pointless. It'd be better, I think, just to have the entire entry system be under the user's control, especially since a lot of threads are backdated, making listing them in order of when they started OOC not very effective...
[Image: jWoC23.png]
[Image: ROWtwloha2015-rsc.png]
(Nov 05, 2015, 03:40 PM)Calanthe Wrote:  Not At All - but I'd like to add that that's directly because it doesn't make any sense to me, and hasn't really from the start. If there were a way to, say, add the thread id, IC date, and description into a box - like with Gossip Wall submissions - then it would be much easier and more fun to use.

I've borrowed @Raela's idea and started a from-scratch timeline of my own on the Miscellaneous page for my three most prominent characters, even though it can be a lot of extra work due to the coding and formatting, because for me it's important to keep a sensible timeline of when my characters did something so that I know when I can have them do something new. None of the threads have dates on those lists because it's extra work still, and the lists are hard to read once there are more than fifteen or so items, but it's something to help me keep track of things.

If the Timeline feature was more user-controlled, that would help a great deal. The only control I have over it is hiding individual threads, which I guess could be useful if any dead threads popped up on the Timeline, but otherwise it seems pretty pointless. It'd be better, I think, just to have the entire entry system be under the user's control, especially since a lot of threads are backdated, making listing them in order of when they started OOC not very effective...

Have you read the feature guide about the timelines that explains how to use it? The date field is editable and you have the ability to add a description to each thread. When you edit the date, it automatically resorts the timeline according to the new date you entered.

http://relic-lore.net/showthread.php?tid=7583&page=2

What this says to me is that the user interface of the timelines isn't intuitive enough, and newer members might not understand how to use it. If we keep it, I need to improve that dramatically. 
[Image: AplcUOC.png]
I voted not at all. I, personally, don't see much need for one. The threadlog is plenty for me, I can easily located finished threads (and what order they occurred in) if I want to reread them. I never really used the timeline, and even if it were updated in some way, I'm still not sure I would use it? I prefer to summarize important events in Kjors' (or anyone's) history/bio on his first page, rather than navigate elsewhere.
[Image: honeybadgerace.png]
(Nov 05, 2015, 03:59 PM)Serach Wrote:  
(Nov 05, 2015, 03:40 PM)Calanthe Wrote:  Not At All - but I'd like to add that that's directly because it doesn't make any sense to me, and hasn't really from the start. If there were a way to, say, add the thread id, IC date, and description into a box - like with Gossip Wall submissions - then it would be much easier and more fun to use.

Have you read the feature guide about the timelines that explains how to use it? The date field is editable and you have the ability to add a description to each thread. When you edit the date, it automatically resorts the timeline according to the new date you entered.

http://relic-lore.net/showthread.php?tid=7583&page=2

What this says to me is that the user interface of the timelines isn't intuitive enough, and newer members might not understand how to use it. If we keep it, I need to improve that dramatically. 

I was aware of the description entry function, but the Timeline as it is is still missing a good chunk of Calanthe's threads - it looks like the ones where Calanthe wasn't the first one to post, some of which are/were crucial to her development as a character. I don't see anything in the guide about adding new threads entirely, and there are no corresponding fields in the User CP area of the site, so the Timeline is still pretty flawed in that we can't add extra threads where our characters were participants (and maybe even central elements to the thread) but were not the ones to start the thread.

That said, the guide was helpful, in that I wasn't aware that changing the date did anything at all to the order of the threads it does list. In fact, until reading the guide just now, I wasn't aware that the bolded dates could be changed - it never occurred to me to try clicking them, when the only obviously clickable feature in that column is the show/hide button. So I think you're right in that the current Timeline isn't very intuitive, and while on one hand it might encourage users to scour the Library, on the other hand I think a lot of people are probably going to see the Timeline, eventually notice some threads are missing and that the dates appear unchangeable and are completely wrong IC, and give up without bothering to look for a guide.
[Image: jWoC23.png]
[Image: ROWtwloha2015-rsc.png]
On second thought I would use it if it was fixed, because I would hate for someone to go to it and it be wrong. That's what I assumed half the purpose of them was, not just to help you keep things in order but so that others could easily make sense of your wolf's timeline, whether it be out of curiosity or practical use like trying to straighten out their own timeline, which is EXTREMELY useful.
[Image: h1qVva0.png]
[Image: 6lnzS4M.png]
(Nov 05, 2015, 04:40 PM)Calanthe Wrote:  I was aware of the description entry function, but the Timeline as it is is still missing a good chunk of Calanthe's threads - it looks like the ones where Calanthe wasn't the first one to post, some of which are/were crucial to her development as a character. I don't see anything in the guide about adding new threads entirely, and there are no corresponding fields in the User CP area of the site, so the Timeline is still pretty flawed in that we can't add extra threads where our characters were participants (and maybe even central elements to the thread) but were not the ones to start the thread.

That said, the guide was helpful, in that I wasn't aware that changing the date did anything at all to the order of the threads it does list. In fact, until reading the guide just now, I wasn't aware that the bolded dates could be changed - it never occurred to me to try clicking them, when the only obviously clickable feature in that column is the show/hide button. So I think you're right in that the current Timeline isn't very intuitive, and while on one hand it might encourage users to scour the Library, on the other hand I think a lot of people are probably going to see the Timeline, eventually notice some threads are missing and that the dates appear unchangeable and are completely wrong IC, and give up without bothering to look for a guide.

Hence why I believe Shadow is asking if it's useful to fix this feature or not -- there's no point in her putting in the extra time to fix the coding and adjust some things if it won't be used by many people.. thus the poll. :)

sparking up my heart