759 Users Online
Bing, Google, Vanadis, Neo

Too Far North — Larkcall Lowlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Seria who has 45 posts.
Inactive
Kobe Moonshade
Let the meeting of the grumpy wolves commence! @Askan

For a wolf whose least favorite season was winter, going further north was definitely not his best idea. Kobe scrambled over a misshapen hill whose rocky surface made it even more challenging to scale in the snow. After more spending a solid month of winter on his own, the black wolf was warming up to the idea of a change in circumstance. His outlook had broadened to joining a pack, albeit reluctantly.

His experience with other wolves did not venture much further than his natal pack. Although @Treyah, had expressed that her former pack was largely lax and informal, he couldn’t be sure if that was an ongoing trend. He was to pessimistic to consider it. However, his stomach was also too empty to completely disregard the notion. He wasn’t the worst hunter but was also far from the best. It didn’t help that the abundance of prey was currently in steep decline. Oh how he pined for spring.

He closed his eyes and lifted his nose as a breeze brushed through his fur. He caught wind of hare, it was more than a couple days gone and traces of it were faint. He opened his eyes, there was another scent on the wind. Pungent and unmistakable, the borders of a pack was nearby. It was too bad that was the same direction the hare led.
(This post was last modified: Jan 01, 2017, 11:37 PM by Kobe.)
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

It wasn't that Askan disliked the field, in fact he loved it. He adored the warm sense of home it provided and how safe and secure he felt when he was within its borders. And yet, there was an itch beneath his skin, a feeling he just couldn't shake. Maybe it was because he knew he wasn't supposed to leave, or more accurately that he had been told he wasn't allowed to leave. It wasn't his fault per se but.... He didn't want to think too hard about it, nothing good would come of that.

Askan sighed and resumed his patrol. Trotting along his dug out path, Askan's eyes were drawn in by a sudden flash of movement. A little brown figure dashing through the snow. His nose twitched and his ears perked up. A hare. But what had spooked it? Askan certainly wasn't making enough ruckus to bother it and besides, it was heading in his direction. If it felt as though he was a threat why would it be- oh. Something was chasing it. Askan's eyes snapped wide and he glanced about, looking across the tundra to see if there was a threat nearby. Askan was in no mood- not that he was ever- to deal with a wannabe predator trying to cross the line into his lands. Be it fox, coyote, bear or cougar they were not welcome. Not if he had anything to say about it.

But no, it was a wolf.

The Rye wolf eyed the dark one suspiciously, sizing him up. He could see that the stranger was slightly taller than himself but not quite as long and not nearly as bulky. Askan had been told time and time again not to be so frosty, but the words never stuck. It was like telling the sun not to shine, or the wind not to blow. It was fruitless, a waste of breath. He could rein himself in if the situation really called for it, but the way Askan saw it, this situation did not. This was his turf, and if the loner kept on walking he'd cross over the line. Askan had every right to be as snappy as he pleased.

"Watch yourself."Askan warned, making himself known if the loner hadn't yet noticed him.  "You're getting too close. So unless you've got business here turn back the way you came."

[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive
Kobe Moonshade

Kobe stopped at the appearance of the other wolf and eyed him warily. He was a dark furred man about his size and a pack wolf at that. While he wasn’t exactly met with hostility, the stranger’s guarded nature and lack of tact already had Kobe irritated, more so than usual. Who exactly was this he? It didn’t surprise the black wolf that the pack wolf had yet to understand the magnificence he was but never had his buttons gotten pushed first.

“Like I’d be stupid enough to cross your markers,” Kobe said. “I could smell them from a mile away. As long as I don’t cross them we have no quarrel. Or are you planning on bending your rules?”

His stance wasn’t submissive but neither was it dominant. His tail hung loosely between his legs. He knew better than to pick a fight on a pack’s borders, if only because he’d been threatened to be mauled before, indirectly by a wolf of different pack.

“I’m Kobe. Who are you? What pack do you belong? This is my first time this far north, everything is unfamiliar.”

He wasn’t sure if it was the other wolf’s sour demeanor or direct manners but a part of him felt a sort of satisfaction to run into another who opted to skip the false formalities of polite conversation.
(This post was last modified: Jan 02, 2017, 01:56 AM by Kobe.)
~~ Do it or don't do it, you'll regret both ~~

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan tsked derisively. "Could of fooled me."

The Rye wolf wasn't at all amused at the loner's abrasive manner of speaking. He was too blunt, too forward and was clearly lacking of any sense of civility. Askan wasn't one for meaningless small talk, so by no means was he expecting anything too cheery but he would have appreciated a little respect. The loner was encroaching on his turf after all, a little bit of propriety would take him a long way in life. Or was he too bullheaded to realise that? Askan ignored the blatantly obvious fact that the same could be said for him, after all the way he saw it there was nothing wrong with the way he conducted himself. For the most part anyway.

"And we might have a quarrel, unless you learn some manners." His words were biting, a thinly veiled threat if nothing else.

It seemed as though despite the loner's crude way of talking, he was rather eager to gather some information. This was a game Askan had long ago tired of playing, this conversation always went the same. Who was he? Where was he from? Bla bla bla. Askan rolled his eyes in contempt but somehow managed to bite his tongue. He supposed it was part of his job description. If he couldn't learn to deal with this then what was the point of bothering at all? He'd just have to grin and bare it, as irritating as it so often was.

"Askan Selwyn. And I'm the second of Wild Rye Fields." Askan told him, sounding rather tired of this conversation already. Oh the things he did for his pack. "You got a reason for coming this way, or did you just happen to stumble upon the lowlands?"Askan wasn't asking because he wanted to know more about him, he wanted to simply know whether he'd arrived here on a whim, or whether he had some sort of plan in mind.

Inactive
Kobe Moonshade
Already with the threats. It was becoming somewhat of a pattern with pack wolves.

“I don’t trespass and you find something else to complain about. How ironic that you chose to comment on something you also lack. Do you threaten everyone you meet or just those who come close to your borders?”

Manners, politeness, respect, those words simply didn’t belong to Kobe’s vocabulary. They offered a sort of civility that he felt were undoubtedly false. Apart from being a waste of time, he felt manners imposed a mask in conversation. First impressions always changed and politeness was temporary. What was the use in pretending? It was an appalling concept whose only redeeming quality lay in skirting conflict. But how could he respect every wolf he saw? And why would he want to? As the saying went, respect was earned not given. He believed it was a good mantra to go by.

Receiving a name made Kobe smile inwardly. He loved names. Especially of packs. He had a fondness for acquiring information. It simply made him feel better when he could assign a label to something. More sure and certain. Wild Rye Fields. With Askan ranking second, Kobe could only help but wonder if the man’s entire pack was as crabby as him. He suspected they’d recruit few wolves if they were really so unfriendly.

“I’m a loner, I wander,” he said. “Where prey goes I go,” he paused thoughtfully. If every wolf in Rye Fileds was like Askan, he suspected their company would be tolerable if not preferable in the long run. Provided that they were really as blunt as he pictured. He'd always liked wolves who could say what they meant without getting hung up on conventions. Entering a pack that held mutual benefit as its core value interested him greatly. “However, it’s long since become a lonely existence. I understand there are more benefits to be had when one runs with the many. So what's your pack like? Are they all as rude as you?”

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan always found something to complain about. It wasn't quite a hobby, as that would imply he got a sense of enjoyment from it, so if anything it was a habit he just couldn't shake. Not that he'd ever really tried to. The thought hadn't really occurred to him and if someone just happened to tell him to lighten up, then he'd just tell them to shove off. So either way it was an exercise in futility.

Askan wouldn't have called this situation ironic, and neither did he feel as though he lacked manners. Sure, he could be a bit full on at times but he was perfectly capable of biting his tongue and letting things slide, if need be. The same likely couldn't be said for this guy, he seemed like a right ass. As for his question, well he'd hit the nail right on the head there. He didn't see it as threatening, but it would be fair to assume that many did find his crabby and confrontational attitude threatening in one way or another.

"Just those who make an ass out of themselves." Askan retorted, raising a brow in question as though he were inviting the loner to claim otherwise.

Moving on though, Askan listened to the loner's words. He was lonely huh? Was that a subtle way of asking for entry? If it was, he would have to try harder than that. Askan didn't make a habit of inviting wolves into his pack willy-nilly, if they wanted in they had to be frank, they had to make their intentions known. Still their numbers were low, or at least they were in comparison to a certain, unfriendly neighbouring pack.

"I wouldn't say so. We're all pretty laid back, but always work together when shit needs to get done. Why you hoping to join the club?"

Inactive
Kobe Moonshade
Kobe ignored the insult. Acting like the dark wolf hadn’t said a word. If he hadn’t been standing on the edge of a pack’s territory he might have raised his hackles like a fool and provoked something but knew this wasn’t the best place to try something stupid. He was intent on walking away alive with his fur rather than without. However, being the overly proud and narrow-minded prick he was, he made note of it, mentally promising to pay Askan back in the future with a verbal barb or blood. Such was the fault of immaturity. His youth made him feel immortal.

On account of the laid back nature of his pack however, Kobe surprisingly lost interest. The description reminded him of Treyah’s words on her own family when she’d offered him a place with them. In all honesty the black wolf didn’t know what he was looking for. Was it a laid back pack or a strict one? A band of loners or a simple companion? Perhaps, he preferred to go at it alone after all. He wasn’t certain and couldn’t be because he judged before he tried, not to mention his arrogance blinded him from learning. For how can one learn if they believe they already know what’s best?

Being confused by his indecisiveness, he laughed at Askan’s offer. “Join you? Ha, why would I join a bunch of pansy ass, fur licking twinkies?”

His words reminded him of his aunt. Crude, rude and ignorant. He regretted them the moment they left him. He’d felt threatened by the pressure he felt to give a yes or no before he’d truly settled on the idea of running with others. But how long could he keep pondering? Winter was long and unforgiving. It would be foolish to keep going on alone. Even so, he was stubborn. He did not want to take others on as packmates before fully resolving to do so. He wasn’t interested in doing so only out of necessity. It wasn’t just a change in lifestyle, it would be a change in perspective. He’d have to learn to lean on strangers and have the decency not to run when they needed him. He was a selfish creature. Afraid to be a burden because he’d never let another begin to slow him down. His wellbeing would always be his first priority. Selfishness rooted in fear. He was afraid of relationships. Afraid to be let down, abandoned and betrayed. Afraid that he wasn't enough.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
if you're reading this on the phone and can't see all the text, lemme know!

Askan didn't like the fact that the stranger-his name was Kobe- deliberately ignored his insult. It wasn't the most obvious of slights, but Askan knew full well that this guy had picked up on it, he was simply going out of his way to deny Askan the satisfaction. What an arse, a complete and utter brat. Not that it really meant that much coming from the infamous grump of the Lowlands. But still, you'd think he'd try and show some manners if he really wanted in.

But then it seemed as though Askan had jumped to the wrong conclusion, that this loner didn't actually want in. Because surely if he did, he wouldn't have let his mouth run like that. Askan felt his hackles rise along his spine and his lips curled back into a snarl. He did not appreciate being laughed at. Not one bit. And the fact that he'd had the nerve to insult his pack right to his face only added fuel to Askan's fire.

"Watch your tongue you shit, or I'll rip it out myself." He took a menacing step forward, his eyes narrow and thin as he glared at the dark loner. "If you ain't interested in joining then I suggest you back the fuck off."

There was something a little different about his posture though, it wasn't quite aggression but neither did it seem as though Kobe was going to roll over on his back and beg for forgiveness. Askan didn't pin him as the sort of guy who would ever do that sort of thing. Not of his own free will. Askan and Kobe seemed to be cut from the same cloth, as the saying went. It left them at a bit of an impasse though, was Askan going to follow through and send this arse packing? Gods he wanted to, he wasn't one for handing out second chances, and this one here had thoroughly screwed up on his first try. Was Askan so desperate to bulk their numbers that he was actually considering giving him another go? Really? Now Askan was the pathetic one. Still, it wasn't as though he were giving him a free pass. He still had to prove himself and if he failed to buck up, then it wasn't Askan's problem. He could starve for all the Rye wolf cared.

"I'll give you one more try, some time to consider it. If you don't want to, fine no skin off my nose. But if it is, you better start trying, or at least pretend that you can be polite. No one is gonna want your scraggly ass otherwise."

That was as reasonable as Askan was going to get. If it wasn't enough than Askan knew where Kobe could shove it.

(This post was last modified: Jan 12, 2017, 12:22 AM by Askan.)
Inactive
Kobe Moonshade
Kobe didn’t readily reply to Askan’s sharp words. He knew he earned them and was aware that in insulting the pack he was probing to join he was already treading on thin ice. His expression was thoughtful as he weighed his options with the understanding that Askan may chase him off depending on his next words.

To be or not to be. That was the question. A question of pride. Sacrifice. Was his freedom worth it? He was free to roam where he pleased, insult who he pleased and all in all stir the pot of conflict with all he came in contact. He was also free to be hungry, cold and alone. Alone.
He was not a stranger to solitude but didn’t like the idea of it being imposed upon him. He saw the danger of slipping into that fate. He had pushed Askan a bit too far and if he really wanted to be his pack, Kobe knew his rank would be far inferior to Wild Rye’s Second. Or so he assumed. There was always opportunity to climb but first, he had to be accepted. Was he willing to cross that milestone? Adopt humility and take the plunge?

Kobe glanced around him before casting his eyes over his shoulder. If he was rejected he would have to leave. He would return to the snow alone. How much longer could he survive? Was the life of a loner really worth it?

He returned his gaze back to Askan, surprised at his offer. Just what was wrong with the dark male’s pack to make him want to recruit a vagabond like Kobe? It was a question to ponder for another time. He still had a chance. He had to keep his heart from leaping at the idea and yet again weighed the pros and cons. This was a decision that would turn him down another path.

If he put forth some effort and bowed now, perhaps there would come a time where he could make the dark wolf bow. He smiled inwardly at the thought. Maybe there would come a time where he could make a pack his own. He’d always shirked leadership in his mind but yearned for it in his heart. The most important wolf could never be a burden.

“My scraggly ass, would like to join.” He said, playing the sarcasm for humor. “I’ve never asked to join a pack before. Tell me what I have to do and I’ll do it. Shall I submit or would you rather call your alpha?” His tone was anything but mocking, he was sincere. His natal pack consisted only of family, outsiders were chased off without question. It already surprised him that the wolves of this land formed packs of utter strangers. It seemed blood wasn’t thicker than water after all, at least not here.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan waited-not so patiently- to see what Kobe would do. He expected some sort of curt response, perhaps some more colourful insults, but no, instead he was met with silence. It was clear that Kobe had heard him and from what the Yukon wolf could tell he wasn't outright ignoring him either, at least not intentionally. His eyes, that moments ago had simmered with a -painfully- familiar sense of resentment and frustration, were now dimmed with what could only be concern. This guy was clearly out of his element here. Perhaps being a snappish arsehole was a kneejerk reaction of his, something he did when he wasn't quite sure what to do.

Again, Askan had to pretend that they didn't have that habit in common. And again,he told himself that they were nothing alike, he had nothing to fear from this loner.

Askan shrugged those thoughts aside with an easy roll of his hefty shoulders, the tension that had formed there moments ago faded with each passing second and his lips slid back into its usual neutral expression, a grimace. His ears twitched with interest when Kobe had finally gathered his thoughts. And oh, weren't they rather interesting. He sure had changed his tune hadn't he? The Rye wolf was tempted to laugh right in his face and revel in how meek and genuine he was being. It was such an odd change, something that seemed to unreal and absurd that he couldn't help but find it amusing. But this was what Askan had wanted, wasn't it?  A show of respect. And so he had no intention of hurling Kobe's efforts right back in his face, as though they weren't appreciated. Because they were, even if Askan didn't show it.

Rather than respond right away, Askan took a moment to think it through. If Kobe was willing to play along, he didn't see why not. And like with Remington before, if he did decided to give him a chance then he wouldn't be getting any special treatment. Kobe would have to take the incentive himself. What did he have to lose? If Kobe couldn't keep his tongue in check surely Jessie would send him packing. But if he could he could easily turn out to be a worthy asset. No matter how much Askan thought about it, he knew that in the end his opinion didn't really matter. He could chip in every now and then but the decision was not his to make.

Pursing his lips, Askan quickly then realised what had to be done.

"It's not my call whether you get in or not. I'll call the boss, let's see what he makes of you."

Tilting his head up to the sky, the Yukon wolf let out a low, beckoning call for his alpha, @Drestig. It was the sort that inspired curiosity, as if to say 'look at what I've found.'