594 Users Online
Google, Bing, Nori, Vanadis

walk your truth alone — Limestone Bluff 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Kydnt who has 74 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Eskil Whitebark
@Asha

Sometimes Eskil felt like he was close, that just past the next grove or over the next hill he'd finally find his sister. Other times, it felt like he was lost in the middle of nowhere and Oula might as well be on another continent. More and more the feeling of the latter took place, though it didn't trouble him much. He'd been operating under the assumption she'd been dead for nearly two years. Whatever grief, frustration, betrayal and other emotions that had taken place since she'd left the battalion had long since fizzled out. His pack was gone, and wherever she was, Oula was the only thing he had left now. Maybe it was a fools errand, but it gave him purpose.

Eskil's breath curled out from his parted maw in white whisps to join the snow-flecked air. He walked a slow and steady pace, toes spread wide to keep him balanced over the deep snow. A small lilt could be found in his step, the tendon of his front paw still aching from the incident weeks ago. Maybe if he could find a healer to look at it... but honestly, all he needed was some rest. He'd left the stream behind, taking a chance going west and entering the cedarwood forest. The land was flatter here, the undergrowth more sparse and thankfully easier to navigate through. Especially after slipping down a hill and nearly falling into Heartleaf Creek just the day before.

It came as a surprise when Eskil was confronted by a sheer white cliff rising towards the sky. A formidable obstacle, and one that he'd have to figure out a way around safely. It would be a long way around, and he'd have to find a spot to climb up that didn't risk him slipping yet again, seeing as his foot wasn't as dependable as it should be. He walked towards the limestone palisade, noticing the small caves scattered at the base. Cautiously he approached one of the larger caves, poking his nose inside and peering into the dark.
Played by Van who has 61 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Asha Maren

Aimlessly wandering with no direction was something that Asha had always done, even in her old pack. It kept you from thinking too much, and it gave you plenty of things to look at and plenty of experience treading different terrain. Kept your paws from getting too sore when you had to walk over bumpier or rougher lands, such as the sheer, limestone cliffs Ash had encountered the night before.

She'd nearly run into the thing in the dark, and had decided not to climb it, as she was much too tired and it was much too dark out to find a safe spot to clamber up. It would have been a bad idea, as she would have more than likely found herself taking a nasty tumble if she tried. So, she'd elected to stay in one of the caves at the base for the duration of the night, tail curled around her nose to keep herself as warm as possible.

As per the norm lately, she did not dream.

---

The next morning was just as cold as the night, and Ash fluffed out her sleep-ruffled fur to stave off the chill. She got to her paws with a sigh, then stretched and moved to head out of the entrance to the cave.

Her nose bumped into something soft. and entirely alive.

Shock coursed through her and she leaped backward, eyes snapping wide open. Silver-blue met spruce green, alight with fear before her lips curled back in a snarl and her body stiffened, but with her tucked tail was entirely an act out of fear rather than actual aggression.

Ash was not a fan of surprises.

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Eskil Whitebark
Eskil hadn't expected to find anything in the little hovel. Dirt, sticks, perhaps some old bones at the most. His eyes were accustomed to the bright glint of the white, snowy world and had not yet adjusted to the inky dark inside the cave. So it came as a complete surprise when something cold jabbed him in the chest, followed by the sound of paws frantically sliding over soil and a snarl. 

"Well shit," Eskil cursed, reeling backwards from the startled wolf. He hadn't meant to bother her, and if he knew someone was residing in here he would have knocked first. Or whatever the wolfish equivalent of knocking was. He shuffled back until he was out of the cave and in the sunlight again, snowflakes falling softly upon his head. He stood at ease, tail loose and face relaxed, leaving enough room between him and the entrance in case she either decided to come out or otherwise strike at him. 

"Heh, sorry about that. Didn't know somebody was in here." He apologized easily, dark eyes looking into the shadows.  She didn't seem aggressive though, she hadn't bitten him, she just seemed scared. As anyone should be if a large unknown wolf just barreled into their bedroom. "I try not to make a habit of barging in on others' dens." 
Inactive Deceased
Asha Maren

Not aggressive. Not going to hurt you. Just an honest mistake. Ash's breath came out a bit stuttered for several moments before she cleared her throat and untucked her stupid tail, cursing her body for taking on a defensive stance without her permission. "It's okay," she replied, her voice slightly husky from sleep, and a bit wobbly from being scared. Not quite the even, boring tone she usually used. "It's not my den. I was just staying here for the night." In her experience, honesty was the best policy. Unless it wasn't. But then, this man seemed fine.

The young wolf slid out from the opening, still slightly hesitant, but much better now that she knew that the intruder would most likely not harm her. In her experience, it was always best to test and see first if a wolf would be aggressive or not. It had saved her life many times before.

Another clear of her throat chased the huskiness from her voice, and now that she was no longer frightened there was no wobble in it, either. Back to normal, unless one counted the slight bit of interest held within it. "My name is Asha," she told him, ears flicking back and head inclining just slightly in a nod. "What is yours?"

Inactive No Rank
Eskil Whitebark
Eskil watched as the smaller wolf slowly nosed her way out of the cave, his tail swishing a few beats behind him in silent encouragement. She accepted his apology, explaining it wasn't exactly her den. Well, maybe it wasn't her permanent residence, but in his opinion a hole you slept in was more or less a den. That it was temporary didn't make him feel any better about disturbing her rest, but despite the initial shock she didn't seem upset with him. 

Eskil looked over the young woman now that she was no longer concealed in the darkness of the eroded cave. He noticed her eyes first, an unusual ice blue color set out from the dull monochrome of her coat. More subtle were the numerous scars scattered about her body, which didn't escape his notice. He was used to seeing rough looking wolves, usually old grizzled warriors, but never such a young woman.

"Name's Eskil," He said with a polite dip of his head, his dark eyes meeting her pale pair. "You're just passing through then?" He asked, his brows lifted in interest. He considered asking where she was from, but given her appearance and demeanor decided it would be too intrusive of a question. "Where ya headed?"
Inactive Deceased
Asha Maren

Studying him, Asha found that their pelt colors were perhaps not so different from one another. He was, perhaps, darker in color - most wolves were - but his fur also contained creamy tones, which Ash did not have at all. His eyes were quite a pretty shade of dark green, which was a color that the colorless wolf was fond of, since it was around the color of the evergreen trees that retained their color, even in the dull, monotonous winter months. It signified a splash of color in an otherwise color-free world.

She noticed his scars, of course, but they were filed away where Ash kept useless information. Where the robot came from, everyone had scars. Hell, she'd had scars since she was just a pup. They were a part of everyday life; as much a part of her as the white on her fur.

"Pleased to meet you," she told him easily, still meeting his eyes and even allowing a small quirk of her lips in a smile that did not meet her gaze. It was much more of an attempt to reach a social norm than a genuine smile. In response to his inquiry, she shook her head. "I've been traveling for a very long time, so I am most likely just passing through."

It was the question as to where she was heading that gave her pause. She flicked her nicked, right ear backward a bit in thought. "I do not have a destination in mind. Just... 'passing through,' I suppose." She nodded a bit, satisfied with that answer, and then asked, "Are you going anywhere specific? Or are you just wandering around, sticking your head into holes in the ground for no reason?" It was a slight attempt at humor - again because she wanted to at least seem a bit normal. Otherwise, she made wolves uncomfortable for no reason.

(This post was last modified: Feb 19, 2017, 04:08 AM by Asha.)
Inactive No Rank
Eskil Whitebark
Eskil wondered what a 'very long time' was. Days, months, years? He liked to think he wouldn't be wandering the wilds for 'a very long time' himself, if he didn't come across Oula by spring he was ready to consider her a lost cause. That itself was an uneasy thought, having to settle down somewhere and start life anew. Becoming a lone wolf was enough of an uncomfortable transition for him. The life he'd once made for himself and grown comfortable with was long gone. Being a lone wolf still wasn't something he was entirely used to. It was hard for him to move on, and he'd already lingered long enough in his old packlands like a ghost haunting some old crumbling ruins, unable to move on. He'd finally done it though, and he owed his sister for being the catalyst for that.

A smile broke across Eskil's marred face at Asha's teasing. "Guilty on the last count, I suppose. Can't really say I'm going anywhere specific either, for that matter." He said. "I've been looking for my sister, but I've run out of leads so I just picked a direction and went." He explained with an easy shrug of his grey-tinted shoulders. "I was going west until I ran into this thing here," He indicated the cliff behind her with a tilt of his chin. "Gotta find a way around it I 'spose."
Inactive Deceased
Asha Maren

The man smiled, and Asha tipped her head just a bit. Perhaps he'd found her attempt at humor actually.... humorous. Which was not common, and she wasn't sure that what she said was actually funny, but hey. The girl would take it. If she actually felt emotions, she might say that she felt something similar to satisfaction, or pleasure at having made him express a smile just from her words.

That was kind of cool. It was very rare in her previous pack to joke or jest, and even more rare to smile and laugh about it. There just wasn't much to laugh about there, really - no lightheartedness or joy or excitement. Only blood and death and fear. Not laughable at all.

The monochrome being tilted her head to the other side at the mention of his sister. So he had a family? "I haven't met any women around here, so I don't believe I've run into your sister. I apologize." She dipped her head, then raised her gaze to look back up at him. "I lived far down south of here - I only arrived in the Lore a few days ago." She looked back at the limestone cliffs behind her and frowned. "Perhaps we could find a way around it together? I wouldn't mind helping you find your sister. As I said, I'm not going anywhere in specific."

Inactive No Rank
Eskil Whitebark
@Asha

"No worries," Eskil said with an unconcerned roll of his shoulders. He hadn't expected her to have seen Oula. Honestly it would have surprised him if Asha had, as she had mentioned coming from the south. The opposite direction he and his sister had come from. At least, he hoped Oula hadn't gone further south.

His dark eyes twinkled as he smiled again at Asha's suggestion. "Sure, it'd be nice to have some company." The man agreed with a nod. She seemed an easy sort to get along with, and it was admittedly lonely being on his own. And he had to admit he was just the slightest bit curious about her. Eskil jerked his head, indicating the direction as he started to walk alongside the base of the cliff. He kept a steady pace, leaving room for her to walk at his side if she wished. His gaze picked along the rocky wall to their left, looking for some sort of break in the sheer embankment. 

"You know, I haven't seen her in years." He admitted, his evergreen eyes flicking towards the silver woman. "Maybe it's a waste of time to be wandering hell's half acre looking for her. For all I know, she doesn't even want to see me." He reasoned. It was certainly an option, as he hadn't figured out whether Oula's failure to seek him out after making it to their homeland was simply an oversight on her part, or if she had actively avoided him. 
(This post was last modified: Feb 21, 2017, 05:15 AM by Eskil.)