(See All?) Announcements
377 Users Online
Google, Bing, Adelard, Eros, Apollo

i will fly with no hope, no fear — Edge Stone Pool 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Emmett who has 375 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
He wasn't afraid to admit that he didn't know a lot about most things. He didn't know what collecting might have entailed or even the basics of herbs—but in his mind collecting herbs sounded fun. Like it was the perfect way to spent a hot summer day. Behind him his tail swayed and he smiled.

"Really? Cool!" He barked with nothing but sincerity in his voice. For all he knew collecting herbs was the best thing ever in the whole entire world. Maybe he would ask more about the experience later on. There were a lot of things he could pester Askan about, when he thought about it. Like being popular and now about plants. But for now he had another question to ask and it was directed at the stranger. One that seemed a little more pressing on the forefront of his mind. "Are you a healer?" He blurted out, yellow eyes wide and curious.

Because there seemed to be a lot of wolves in these parts that knew about plants and medicine. Especially when he remembered Emrys and Lorcan. He wondered if the male before him was anything like them. If so, he had a lot of questions to ask.
Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

Aside from fishing, healing was one of the few things Lachesis was actually good at. His mother had taught him the basics in the Reserve, although they had not needed it. The two-legs took care of everything when one of them fell ill or got injured. But mother had been persistent on XIX learning, almost as though she knew he was leaving—or hoped that he would. Life, while comfortable, had been dull within the confinements of the Reserve. Escaping the wall had never been on his agenda—not until his brother forced him to crawl beneath the fence—but he was certainly glad he had. Despite being angry with his brother at first Lachesis now wished he could have thanked him, but he did not know if the feline had caught up to him or not. He hoped for the latter and that Pyrrhus had either returned to their family or found his own home. Maybe he had children of his own… maybe Lachesis was an uncle.

His thoughts were cast aside as the yellow-eyed cotton ball spoke once more, this time asking the alpha a question. He nodded softly in response, his tail wagging slowly behind him. “Yes I am,” he added, verbally, an ear tipping to the side. “Well, sort of. I was Hearthwood’s healer before I became the leader but I still collect herbs and act as healer when needed.” Old habits were hard to break.

His chartreuse gaze narrowed slightly: “Are you one as well?”

[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Whatever the stranger just said sounded complicated. Because doing two very demanding jobs at once? It was enough to make his head spin even just thinking about it. He wanted to know how the man did it. Cottongrass already had enough of a struggle just being himself and making sure he was doing his basic duties when in pack territory. The idea of doing anything more might as well have been insanity for him. But before he got to voice his thoughts his mind jumped to the man's latest question.

Was he a healer? It was enough to make his yellow eyes widen and his voice move faster than his brain.

"No! Definitely no." He yelped with a violent shake of his head. There was no possible way in the universe could he be entrusted with the health and care of someone else. He could barely manage himself on a good day! And he didn't even know the first thing about herbs. The most his mind could trudge up was that mistletoe was pointless and cotton grass had some kind of use. He could just never remember what it was. So the role of being a healer was so out impossibly out of his realm of possibility it wasn't even funny.

But he wasn't about to ramble all of that to the stranger. He didn't do anything to deserve it. So he settled for explaining what even piqued his interest in the first place.

"It's just that you're like, the third healer I've met around here." And without prompting — "Emrys, Lorcan, and now you!" He chirped. Behind him his tail gave a happy little wag. Because maybe the man before him knew something about those two wolves. Or maybe not. Who knew! The world was impossibly vast sometimes.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

His lips curved into a small smile at the younger male’s response. The Stark was not really good at anything but healing, which was why he had pursued it in the first place. And because Anastasia had gently encouraged him to go in the medicinal direction… probably due to the fact that his talents were limited. He could fish much better than he could hunt land animals, but hunting was an easy skill. It was something almost all wolves were good at—just some wolves were better. Scouting had also interested him, mostly because it was an excuse to travel, but Lachesis had not been good at interacting with others then. Even now he still struggled, for small talk was the bane of his existence and he did not always like meeting strangers.

Fortunately for XIX healing was something he could still do while leading a pack. His leadership duties were of more importance but it did not mean he had to refrain from collecting herbs or tending to his packmates.

He blinked at the familiar names and nodded, his smile widening. “I know both of them. Lorcán is my pack’s new healer.” Well, newish healer. He was curious as to how Emrys was doing, though, as it had been quite some time since he had encountered the pale healer. XIX wondered if there was any development on his and Jynx’s relationship, for the last time they had gossiped about a possible relationship forming between the two. “I’m Lachesis, by the way,” he added as his tail swayed gently behind him.

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Somewhere in the back of his mind he couldn't help but wonder if it was a requirement for healers to all know each other. He even considered asking the question out loud just so he could know for sure. But when he opened his mouth all he could blurt out was—

"Nice!" His tail started wagging and he couldn't help the way he perked up. "Lorcan's good at his job." He even added with a goofy smile gracing his features. Because Lorcan was cute and he may or may not have been wondering if the man still even lived in the area. He didn't understand how his mind never made the connection between Hearthwood River and the healer, though. He visited Kingsfall at least once a month! And sure it was mostly to see Aytigin but he thought he would have caught sight of Lorcan at least once or twice...

Oh well.

He was drawn back into reality when he realized the stranger had said something.

"Hmm? Oh!" The stranger's name was Lachesis. He was probably supposed to introduce himself. Which he could totally do! "I'm Cottongrass." He chirped with a happy wag of his tail. Like he absolutely nailed it. And seeing how Lachesis now had his full attention—

"What brings you all the way out here?" He asked. Because he was pretty sure they were west, the opposite of Hearthwood River's east. Did leaders usually leave the pack territory whenever they wanted to? Maybe it was because Lachesis was also a healer. He didn't have a single clue when it came down to what was normal and what wasn't.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

The ghost nodded, although a sad smile tugged at his lips. Lorcán was good at his job, which was why it was important to find him and get him back to Hearthwood. Lachesis knew that if the tawny healer was injured he would be capable of taking care of himself, but it meant that his return to the river would be delayed. XIX just hoped he was okay, for the tight-knit group could not afford to lose another member.

Cottongrass. His expression lightened as his tail swayed behind him. He was certain that the alliance between the two packs would remain strong, for all of the wolves Lachesis had encountered had been pleasant enough. Not at all like Craw had implied, for he seemed wary of their presence and had tainted Lachesis’ own thoughts toward the newest addition to the north. He was embarrassed to say he had possessed negative feelings toward the Fields pack, for they were the kind of wolves he wanted to work with. After all, one of Craw’s wolves had attacked his sparrow. Whether it was provoked or not, he still didn’t know—nor did he care. He was just glad Mittani was no longer a burden in the lowlands.

“I’m actually looking for him. Lorcán.” His frown returned. “Have you seen him recently? He went out on a patrol and hasn’t returned.” 

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Lachesis was looking for Lorcan.

"Oh." He remarked. A small frown pulled across his features. The kind that had his brow furrowing and lips pressing together in quiet thought. He stopped his seemingly endless fidgeting even for a moment.

It was starting to make sense. And he wanted to ask for how long. Because he hadn't seen Lorcan since the late winter or maybe early spring but he wasn't sure how helpful that information would be. He assumed it was a recent change. One that wouldn't be improved if he decided to ramble about how he went hunting with the man in question and Rosalind months ago.

"I haven't seen him." He finally admitted. His ear twitched and his head cocked as he met the pale gaze of Lachesis. "Want me to keep an eye out for him?" It probably wouldn't be hard. He was already all over the place and he was heading towards Hearthwood River anyway. Maybe he could convince Aytigin to help him look if the man didn't already know about the healer's absence.

If he remembered, anyway. Visiting Aytigin tended to be chaotic. A good chaotic even though everything went by so fast most of the time.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

Of course Cottongrass had not seen the tawny healer. That would have made everything easier and things, unfortunately, were never easy. Lachesis just hoped that his former second was not seriously injured and that he would return to the Kingswood soon. With the recent rainfall it had wiped any remaining traces of Lorcán’s trail clean, leaving the river wolves confused as to where the agouti could have gone. And XIX was not the only wolf searching. Both his brother, Laike, and the raven Baranski had spent time looking for the healer, scouring the borders for any traces of him. Lachesis did not want to give up hope. The male had become a valued and loyal member of Hearthwood since arriving from the monadnock. There was no reason for him to disappear without notice.

“If you wouldn’t mind,” he ghost answered sheepishly, averting his chartreuse gaze as he spoke. “You don’t have to go out of your way, but if you see him let him know we’re looking for him?” The Rye wolf didn’t have to do anything for Lachesis—he had no obligations toward him. He shifted his paws uncomfortably, his gaze still fixated elsewhere. He did not like asking favours from others; they usually expected something in return. Especially from a wolf he had not met before. “I mean, if you want,” he added with a shrug, a frown still pressed against his dark lips.

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Sorry for the wait <3

Cottongrass was pretty sure he was sensing a pattern in their conversation. One that was all kinds of predictable but he found that he couldn't bring himself to mind. Lachesis was adorable. It was becoming more obvious with each passing second and he didn't know how he even managed to miss that fact in the first place. From bright green eyes to lips that were always carefully frowned. And he was so polite! Somewhere behind him Cottongrass' white tail continued to wag about.

The man before him was pretty darn cute. He couldn't help but reach out with the blunt end of his muzzle to give Lachesis' thick fur a gentle poke. Like maybe that would chase away the bad mood and worried thoughts.

"It's okay." He chirped as he pulled back. Lorcan and Lachesis were pretty nice! Helping them out wouldn't be a problem in the slightest. It would also give him an excuse to bump back into either of them again which would probably be fun. There would also be another reason for him to wander about instead of helping with the pack but he decided to ignore that part. Instead his rear end continued to wiggle and he gave Lachesis' his brightest smile. "I could even start looking for him right now!" He chirped again.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
hope this works as a fade! <3

As more words were exchanged between the pair Lachesis could tell that the pale wolf before him was growing more comfortable. There were very few wolves that the ghost didn’t get along with—and for good reason. He liked to think of himself as a likeable and approachable guy, even if he was not fond of conversation and preferred to be on his own. He certainly did not mind the presence of the yellow-eyed cotton ball and wouldn’t mind bumping into him again—whether it was for casual conversation or an update on Lorcán’s whereabouts. He hoped it did not have to come to the latter and that the tawny healer would find his way back to the riverside. The Kingswood did not feel the same without the brooding male.

He had not expected Cottongrass to be so eager to help. A bright smile unfolded across his dark lips as the younger male pressed his nose into his fur, his tail giving an excited wag behind him. “Want some company?” He asked, his head tipped to the side as he took a step away from the milky wolf. “I was gonna keep lookin’ for awhile, so we might as well look together.” He shrugged, settling the matter and not giving the younger male a chance to refuse his offer. Instead he took another step away and motioned for his companion to follow him. “I ain’t takin’ no for an answer. You’re stuck with me until you’re sick of me. Lead the way,” he instructed with a cheeky grin as he waited for Cottongrass to take the reigns.

Perhaps company wasn’t so bad after all… it just had to be the right company.

Fade.

(This post was last modified: Oct 13, 2017, 02:30 AM by Lachesis.)