357 Users Online
Google, Bing, Juniper, Adelard, Chan, Apollo

sometimes quiet is violent — Hearthwood River 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
@Inna | morning of July 28

The blood was finally gone from his alabaster fur and part of him hated that it was no longer there. He had used the river to rid himself of the tacky maroon stains, and watched the tumbling water take the remnants of Kisla downstream, away from the heart of the Kingswood. Grief still consumed him. He had not returned to his den, or Lilya’s, for he did not want to fill the places he adored with the stench of death. Sleep evaded him; his mindless, zombie-like body dragged through the trees, no destination in mind.

Lachesis knew he had to get it together. To compose himself. Hearthwood had survived two major losses the year prior; they could do so again this year. They had to. The thought of moving the pack had tumbled into his mind more times than he would have liked to admit, but it was not feasible. The former king and queen were buried here, as was his son—XIX could not leave them. He could not disappoint them. No matter how hollow his chest felt, he could not run. What would it do? He was no coward, and the river wolves? They were resilient. The loss of the matriarch was a hard one to carry, but they would preserver. It was what she would have wanted; what Maksim would have wanted. There were only a few Baranski’s left, and Lachesis would be sure to see them succeed and move past this loss with their heads held high.

Just as Lachesis would.

He hovered by the river’s edge, his chartreuse gaze following the lazy flow over water. The ghost did not want to be strong, for it was much easier to be riddled by grief, but he could not succumb to the sorrow that filled his heart. It would do nothing but harm the pack.

A sigh escaped him as he lowered his hindquarters to the river’s edge, a frown cutting deep into his dark lips. He would have preferred a visit to the lake, but he could not leave Hearthwood. Not yet. Not while the wounds will still open and the wolves were still hurting. 

[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Played by Kai who has 786 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

It had been three days since she had watched her mother be killed by the cougar and the pain of it all had not diminished. It still tore through her just as strongly as it had that day but she'd had to be strong. She had Oksana now and had to be there for her daughter. She had yet to tell the pup and knew she would have to before someone else said something. She couldn't keep her away from it all forever, it was a hard thing to go through the loss of a loved one. Inna knew from her own experiences of losing her father and Naira and now her mother that it was best she learned this lesson sooner rather than later. For now though Inna would keep her close and let her be happy until she had found the words that would help her daughter understand.

Oksana had fallen asleep leaving Inna to wait a short time before she took the opportunity to have a few minutes to herself. She needed them now more than she ever had in the past, when her thoughts became too much and she had to do something to calm them. As she rose from her place next to her daughter tears started to fall once again. This had been more frequent when a thought would enter her mind, this time it was the thought of Kisla not seeing Oksana grow up and become the woman that she would be.

When she had reached the outside of the den she broke into a run weaving through the trees and over the fallen ones. Running helped, it took her mind away from what had happened for a short time but it was long enough to gather herself once more.

The Sprint had lasted long enough to bring her closer to the river which was probably good. She'd barely eaten or drank anything over the past three days. Her pace slowed as she neared it's banks where only a few nights ago she'd grieved her mother and said her last goodbyes. She wasn't doing much better than she had been that night but she did her best to be strong for those around her. She couldn't let her mother down.

The river wasn't the only thing that had come into sight as she neared the edge, Lachesis was there too. She'd been meaning to talk to him, to see how he was doing. She approached quietly and brushed her head against his shoulder in greeting. “How are you?” She asked quietly as she sat down next to him looking out across the river.

~Table by Jacqueline
[Image: 2wrks2e.jpg]
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.

Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

He had not noticed the raven until she reached the river’s edge, for his head was wrapped in turmoil, battling thoughts of fleeing the Kingswood.

Part of him swooned at the opportunity to start fresh; seeking lands untainted by river blood. But this was their home. This was where family was buried, his son included. To abandon it… the thought deflated quickly, disappearing into the dark depths of his mind. Staying was ideal, but how did the rest of the river wolves feel? Would they want to remain here, where death clung to the land just as desperately as they did? It was home, after all. They had fled to the north to escape the threat of a rival pack, determined to reclaim the hollow once more. They had established themselves, making alliances with the neighbouring packs and declaring the land as theirs. Did Lachesis really want to start over once more—and move the children why they were so young.

His thoughts fizzled once more, his chartreuse gaze pulling from the river as he turned to the raven, his lips curved into a frown.

How are you?

The question instantly made his mouth dry, words sticking to the back of his throat as he struggled to compile a response. How was he? It was not him who had lost a mother. Kisla had been a long-time friend of Lachesis’, yes, but Inna suffered a much greater loss than he. Both her parents gone, in the span of just over a year. It was not fair. The Baranski’s deserved so much more.

He shrugged, not able to come up with an answer, because there was none. He did not now how he was; how he was feeling. “How are you?” The ghost repeated, his voice hoarse as the words dripped off his tongue, filling the space between them. 

Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

The mornings while Oksana slept had become her refuge. She put on a brave face for her daughter pretending everything was okay and normal, Inna didn't even know what that meant anymore. All the while she kept a close eye on the child to keep her from the rest of the pack, it wasn't like she had kept herself from them before. This time is was to protect Oksana from hearing the news of Kisla's death from anyone but her. It was her job to tell her and she had every intention of doing so. The problem was she'd never done it, broke the news of a death to anyone. Often her thoughts had traveled to the day her mother had told her and Lekalta about their father. She remembered it as if it was only the day before.

Why she kept coming to the river where she'd broken down the night of her mother's death she didn't know. Maybe it had to do with the fact her mother's blood was washed from her pelt there or maybe the sounds of the water soothed her mind that was now in a constant state of thought. Whatever the reason it helped calm her enough she could make it through until she could escape prying eyes and have those moments to herself where she could let loose the grief that threatened to break her every moment. She had not expected to find the pale healer there but perhaps she should have.

Her movements toward him were silent, she only spoke to him once she'd sat down next to him. She looked to him waiting for a response when she asked how he was but he didn't speak only shrugged before returning the question. She looked back to the river, “As good as can be expected I suppose, I don't really know either. I just...I miss her. My instinct is to go and curl up next to her like I did when I was a pup but she’s not there and I'm not a pup. I have a daughter of my own who needs me. I'm trying to be strong for her Lachesis but I feel like I'm failing her.”

~Table by Jacqueline

Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

Grief was like an old friend to Lachesis. It came around far too often—more than he would have liked—and lingered too long. Loss was not something new to him. Unfortunately the ghost had experienced too many losses and seemed to attract them more than prevent them. He should be accustom to this feeling. He should know how to disperse it and move forward. But this was hard. Just like the previous year Hearthwood had suffered two major losses this year—three if Lekalta’s absence was included. The loss of his on effected him and Lilya more than it did the rest of the pack, but the death of the matriarch had devastated all of Hearthwood. He was uncertain if they would be able to bounce back from this one…

His chartreuse gaze turned, hesitantly, toward the raven at his side, his brows pinched. She answered him after a brief pause, her tangerine gaze fixated on the slow-moving river before them. He nodded, slowly, in understanding as his tail tightened around his hindquarters, his shoulders sagging. “I miss her, too,” he admitted, his voice small as it disturbed the cool air around them. He sighed, his heavy gaze falling to the river, hoping the moving water would take his sullen thoughts away from him… “You’re not failing her, Inna,” he countered, his voice firm; commanding. “She was your mother; you are allowed to grieve. Seek comfort in Oksana, even if you’re trying to be strong.” He paused, his throat suddenly dry, but he refused to look at her. XIX could not imagine the pain she was going through. Sure he had lost a friend and a partner, but it was nothing compared to Inna’s loss.

(This post was last modified: Aug 15, 2017, 12:34 AM by Lachesis.)
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

When Maksim had died Inna felt much as she did with her mother's death only this time it seemed so much more devastating for her. Kisla had been who she'd looked up to and who had been there when the rest of her family had left. Inna often felt bad about the way things had been between them the last few months of her life. They had reconciled but it still had not been enough in her eyes to show her mother how sorry she was for going against her. It seemed like her mother had only died a few hours ago even though it was two days ago. Each time she thought of her she would get a tightness in her chest. It was only compounded by the fact that her sister was still missing which caused her more worry. Had her sister escaped? If she had why hadn't she returned? Inna needed Lekalta more than she ever had in the past and she wasn't there. The Raven didn't want to believe her sister was dead, refuse to believe until someone brought her body back to Hearthwood.

Seeing Lachesis so sad only caused more pain to wrench through her. She loved the man sitting beside her and wished he didn't have to go through another death this year. Last year had been hard on them all with the loss of her father and Naia. Now he had his lost child and Kisla, possibly Lekalta too. This year inna had her daughter to think about and to make sure that Oksana got through it the best she could. It wasn't often she shared how she was feeling but it spewed out right there for the pale leader. She looked over to him as he spoke telling her she was allowed to grieve and take comfort in Oksana. “I know you're right, I do and I have been grieving but I worry how Oksana will take it. I haven't been able to tell her yet.” She needed to and soon Inna knew but she hated the idea that she would be the one to break her daughter's heart.

Inna leaned over and laid her head against Lachesis’ shoulder, “I know this is hard for you too. We’ve both lost my parents and I know you're not okay Lachesis. How could you be? You know you can talk to me, you've always been there for me when I needed you. Let me be there for you now when I know you're hurting.”

~Table by Jacqueline
(This post was last modified: Aug 15, 2017, 01:59 PM by Inna.)

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
A lynx has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

He hated feeling weak and vulnerable. It reminded him of how he had been when he first arrived in the Lore, his words stuttering off his tongue and his ears permanently attached to the back of his crown. The ghost had worked so hard to distance himself from that wolf and now he felt as though he was stumbling backward, overwhelmed by grief and feeling defeated. Being at the helm of the pack meant he had to be strong, even if he did not feel that way. He had to do it for them, or he worried they would crumble around him, dispersing into the nearby lands and leaving him to his sorrows.

“She’ll be able to handle it,” he assured her, his voice warm despite the cold feeling inside his chest. “She’s young but she is smart. It’s better to tell her soon before she hears it from someone else by accident,” he added, his lips curving into a small frown. XIX knew that the little Baranski would be upset but it was better she found out sooner than later. Part of him worried that the little raven would resent her mother if she kept it from her for too long.

His ears twitched at her next set of words and he subconsciously leaned into her touch. He appreciated her words, especially since he had always been there for her, never expecting anything in return. He cared about her, perhaps more than he cared about himself, and while pain rippled through his body he couldn’t allow himself to be subdued by his grief. No, he had to be strong. There was no other option. The corners of his mouth twitched as he struggled to find the right words, for his tongue suddenly grew heavy and his throat dry. “I know,” he mumbled quietly, his chartreuse gaze fixated on the ground beneath them. “I just did not expect to lose her so soon…” After Maksim. Kisla had always been his partner, even before the great river king’s death. He valued her opinion the most and now he wasn’t sure he could do this alone…

Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

In a had lived her father, admired him for the things he'd done for his family, for building Hearthwood up and so many other small things. He was her father and she adored him, hated herself for not being there while he was sick and she missed him everyday. After her father had died Lachesis had become like a father to her and she cared about him as much as she did her father. She hated seeing him like this bit she knew he had to go through this just as she did. They had both lost Kisla and while their relationships with her were different that didn't mean that the pale healer hurt any less than she did.

Inna did smile as he spoke of her daughter, “She is a strong pup, I'm sure you're right.” his next words shared the same sentiment she'd been feeling, “I will tell her soon, once I find the best way to do it.” Inna didn't want to make it worse for Oksana but she did want to make it so her daughter would understand that Kisla wasn't coming back. Inna swallowed hard at that thought as it brought the clenching feeling back to her chest.

Her concern was the man beside her, she'd felt him lean into her touch and hoped that it might bring him some comfort. Show him that she was there for him not because she owed it to him but because he needed her. Yes the others in the pack had known her mother but they didn't have the relationship with her that she and Lachesis had with Kisla. “I didn't either and I guess a part of me had hoped she would live forever. She will always be with us though. Maybe not so that we can see her everyday but in the things we do.” It was like that with her father, he was with her as she lived her life and in the choices she made. “She's in Hearthwood and we can still make her proud.”

~Table by Jacqueline
(This post was last modified: Aug 23, 2017, 03:07 AM by Inna.)

Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

The ghost knew that the little raven would be upset losing her grandma, for their time together had been cut brutally short. But it was better to tell her sooner than drag it out and make up excuses as to why she could not visit the older Baranski. He knew that Inna would do it when the time was right, for it was not something one brought up into casual conversation. Inna certainly had a way with words; therefore, he did not worry about how she would tell Oksana, just when. “You’ll figure it out, I know you will,” he offered with a comforting smile, his tail swaying gently behind him. Despite her age she was a good mother and Lachesis knew that Kisla would be proud of her, even if she had not supported her pregnancy in the beginning. Both Inna and her daughter were wonderful additions to Hearthwood and it wouldn’t be home without them.

With things going so well in Hearthwood, even despite the death of his son, Lachesis had hoped that they would evade further tragedy. They had begun to acquire more members and were doing quite well for themselves, so the shock of losing their leader so horrifically was hard to overcome. With her death also came the loss of Lekalta, who he hoped had survived the cougar’s advances. Even if she had (which she had, because he refused to believe otherwise) XIX knew she wouldn’t return. At least not anytime soon.

“I feel the same,” he murmured with a soft upward curve of his lips, his gaze softening as he studied the raven. “I hope we make her proud. This place is all I have and they worked so hard to see it succeed. I just hope I’m doing them justice.” He sighed, his ears swivelling back as his gaze dropped once more.