(See All?) Announcements
575 Users Online
Google

make me a believer — Hearthwood River 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Rachel who has 87 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lekalta Baranski

She stared blankly at the borders before her, her lips pursed in to a thin line of uncertainty – and perhaps something darker. Her flanks adorned the bloody marks the cougar had left upon her – the injuries that had yet to heal, as they continued to open and bleed. Infection had set in, it seemed, for everything felt stiff – but nothing more so than her heart. The largest injury was to her back ankle – torn, battered.. the limp was all she dared take notice of, for her bright eyes would not dwell on what had been for long. Each time she saw the blood, her mind would flash brusquely to the image of her mother’s slumping body as she hit the ground of the river floors.

Why had she come back?

She swallowed thickly. Weeks had passed – she had spent her time in the hollow of a small cave, northern of here. Fever had taken over – and she slept, her dreams marking only the nightmare she had just lived. She had seen her mother – or so she thought. A green-eyed she-wolf had seemingly cared for her – food would appear before her, and she would pick at it, though her appetite had been gone completely. Water had been given in the form of a soaked pelt of a hare – something she could lap weakly at. “Rest, child,” the motherly voice had whispered, and Lekalta would awake only to catch glimpses of the honeyed woman – and she would whimper softly for her mother.

But then the food and water stopped. And abandonment had set in. Pulling herself forward, only rejuvenated by her will to survive, Lekalta had left the cave. The golden woman – Kisla, could it be so? – lay not far, unmoving – bloodied. Cougar attack, her mind screamed, and with a tremble, the girl darted away, unable even to check her fallen caretaker for a pulse. After all, one couldn’t help the ghosts of the past.

Delirium had led her home – her mind would twist into guilted thoughts as she considered returning back to the woman. But it was her draw to her sister that kept her rooted, and quaking with exhaustion, sadness, and anxiety, the girl tilted her muzzle back, releasing a cry to her pack.

Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

While the loss of the matriarch still weighed heavy in the river wolves’ hearts, they were beginning to move forward. The ghost doubted that they would ever fully recover, for the Baranski had been there since the founding of Hearthwood (and even before that) and was a pillar in their history. The new recruits would hear stories about her, their chins dropping in awe and their pupils swollen, but they would never know her. Not the way they should. Pieces of her remained. Her children—Inna, Risaela and Mathéo—and her grandchild. They would preserver; move forward and make a life for themselves. Make Kisla proud. The Stark still missed her terribly, for he often tried to seek her out, his paws stepping toward her den before realizing she was no longer there.

He sighed, his shoulders sagging as he maneuvered through the trees and prepared himself for a patrol.

The cry stopped him in his tracks, his tail soaring high as his chartreuse pools widened and frantically sought out the direction it had originated from. His heart ached and he stumbled at first, disbelief causing his paws to stumble and scramble across the forest floor. Collecting himself, he plunged into the the forest without a second thought, desperation fuelling his deer-like legs as they cut through the trees.

K-Kuh-Kalta, he gasped as he staggered forward, his pear-coloured gaze sweeping her pelt, concern swelling inside his chest. He tried not to wince despite the injuries that littered her tawny fur. His lips fell into a tight frown as he approached her, cautiously, his nose reaching forward to press against her cheek. To make sure she was real. “Are you alright?” It was a silly question but he did not know what else to say. 

[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Played by Kai who has 786 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

It was baby steps that Inna felt she needed to take as much as she still had no desire to leave her den or go hunting or do patrols. She knew for her daughter's sake she had to do something, she didn't want Oksana to end up as she had the previous year. A short walk here, a trip to the river there and now she was laying outside her den in a beam of sunlight. She could feel the warmth soaking into her dark pelt and in some ways it was comforting. That thought though that haunted her was always in the back of her mind. The world kept going without her mother and without her.

The Baranski knew she had chosen for life to go in without her, she didn't blame them. Her mind constantly whirled trying to sort through everything she was feeling but at least she hadn't ended up at the rivers edge again. She was angry with herself for wanting to give up in all if it and make things stop. She felt badly for Oksana that she hadn't been a better mother in the past weeks, the Raven had no idea what her daughter had been doing in all that time.

A sigh left her as she lay outstretched with her eyes closed, she could make a promise to be a better mother but as with her mother she could not see the future. It was a promise she was afraid she would break to her daughter.

The forest had been quiet save for the bird song until a call rang through it. At first the Raven couldn't believe she was hearing it causing her to bolt upright, could her sister really have returned? Inna didn't waste anytime. It was the most energy she'd felt in weeks as she raced to the border. When she arrived and saw Lekalta there she paused almost afraid to believe her sister had survived the cougar. What if it wasn't her but just her imagination. Then her orange gaze landed on the form of Lachesis and she remained at the tree line.

~Table by Jacqueline
[Image: 2wrks2e.jpg]
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.

Inactive No Rank
Lekalta Baranski

Lachesis was the first to greet her – her bright green eyes drifted over him, and as her name fell from his lips in concern and shock, the girl could not help but outwardly wince. He was slow to approach her, and then his nose was buried to her cheek, as if trying to reassure her – the honeyed girl stiffened, feeling the sob she wished to hold back break past her lips as her body began to quake. Nothing was alright.

The fever she had carried for weeks on and off as her body tried to heal swept through her – the shivering unstoppable now as a low cry escaped her again, a shudder as her eyes pulled past him, and then down to his paws. Had he looked for her? Had anyone? Had they cared? She couldn’t bring herself to ask the question – the thought quickly disappearing. Of course they had. Inna, above all else, would have.

The bloody and scabbed injuries that raked her hind and limbs was the tell tale sign of how she had managed to stay just ahead of the cougar – but only just. Finally glancing up, her eyes briefly flickered to the features of the man she had muddled feelings for, and giving a light shake of her head, she could not bring herself to answer his question – the haunted look in her eyes should have been answer enough. “Where’s Inna? And Matheo and Risaela? Are they okay?”

are you deranged like me? are you strange like me?
lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark

She had found her way back to Hearthwood. Back home. He knew she would return, for he had refused to believe that the large feline had caught up to her. One Baranski had already been slain by the beast and the pale leader did not want to believe that it had taken another life from the river wolves. Despite her battered appearance the green-eyed Baranski had returned, but the peridots did not hold the same glimmer of life they had once possessed. No—they were now dull and empty. He felt her haunted look all the way down to his toes, a shiver dancing down his spine as he drew away from her, his own chartreuse gaze fixated on the younger wolf.

“Yes,” he answered quickly, his head tipped to the side, frown still pressed to his dark lips. “They’re all okay. They’ve been worried about you.” He paused, tongue pressed to the roof of his mouth. They were okay as they could be, especially the young ones. They were adjusting; adapting. They all were. “We’ve all been worried about you.” It was true. Losing her mother had been a great loss to the river wolves, along with her own absence. His front paws shifted awkwardly, his tail hanging low. “I looked for you,” he admitted, his brows pinched together as he averted his gaze, looking everywhere but her, oblivious to the presence of the raven at the tree line. “I was so worried.” 

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

It seemed that neither Lekalta nor Lachesis had noticed her presence on the edge of the trees. It gave her time to take in the sight of her sister the wounds she'd suffered in order to protect the pack from the cougar. Inna felt badly for her sister, she should have gone with her, helped her to defend the pack. All she had done was collapse at her mother's side, she hadn't even been able to bury Kisla. Her ears perked when Lachesis admitted that he had looked for Lekalta and that had only made her feel worse.

Instead of looking for her sister who actually did care about her and Hearthwood she had been off chasing the sister who didn't seem to care at all. She had heard her sister ask about her but Inna felt rather awkward in the moment and wondered if she belonged there at all. Lekalta needed to know she cared and that she had missed her sister. Slowly with her posture low she approached the pair, “I missed you Kalta,” she said quietly bringing her gaze to meet her sisters briefly. She stopped just behind Lachesis feeling very unsure of what she should do.

~Table by Jacqueline

Inactive No Rank
Lekalta Baranski
Sorry. ><

She swallowed hard – Lachesis’ words ringing in her ears about the pack missing her. Her slender form continued to shiver lightly, and only when Inna’s voice interrupted her silence did she glance sharply up, studying her littermate with a light frown pulling on to her features. Something in Inna’s words felt hollow – she had been missing – dead, for all they knew, and the way her sister approached her and the brief ‘I missed you’ felt lacking.

Something in her heart snapped then – the broken Inna in front of her stirring her own loneliness, as her dark counterpart kept opposite her – behind Lachesis, when it should have been her to be the one holding her.. not the Stark. Had Inna known she was alive, to not express even any relief that she stood before her? Or was this all a figment of her imagination?

“Right..” She trailed off, feeling the tension of her headache continue to build, causing another wince as her body reminded her of the aches of sickness and injury. “I’d like to.. to rest, if I could. I’d like to come.. home.” The word felt hollow also as she spoke it – what was home, anymore? She wanted to collect her thoughts. The sting of everything too much – the heartbreak of losing her final parent was still very raw.. but now she had to contend with feeling a disconnect from the wolves of Hearthwood.

are you deranged like me? are you strange like me?
lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
no worries <3 we can finish this one up with your next posts?

His gaze fell as he took a step away from the broken Baranski, his ears tucked neatly against his pale skull as his chartreuse gaze swept over her battered body. He was not surprised to hear Inna from behind him, her hollow voice filling the air between them. He could not tell if she meant them, nor did he care—not now, anyway. Lekalta was safe and found her way back to Hearthwood. That was all that mattered. The sisters could deal with their own issues without his presence.

He also needed to tend to Lekalta’s wounds immediately, before they worsened and turned to infection.

Home. His ears twitched at the word, his lips curling into a small smile as he nodded frantically. “Yes, of course,” he hummed in response, his nose touching her cheek once more. “You can rest in my infirmary so I can tend to your wounds.” And keep an eye on her, for he feared she would disappear once more. The pack was frayed—they were learning to cope with the absence of the matriarch; adapting. He had wanted to move, to start over fresh away from the steady stream of tragedy that plagued them, but in this moment Lachesis was glad they had remained. Otherwise he wasn’t sure if Lekalta would have found them.

Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski
No Worries Rachel!

There was so much she wanted to say to her sister and tell her, pull her into and embrace that would let her know how much she missed her and needed her. Things were just so messed up that Inna wasn't sure if she should run to her sister or if she would get reprimanded for it. After what had happened at wild rye Inna didn't want to step anymore out of line and she was doing her best to give Lachesis what he wanted from her. She could see the state Lekalta was in and her injuries worried the Raven, she hoped her sister hadn't returned too late. She had always held hope that her litter mate was alive and didn't want to believe she was dead. Now she stood in front of her and Inna finally felt like she had a piece of her shattered family back.

An uncontrolled gasp came from the Raven as her sister spoke of coming home and she looked to Lachesis. Inna hoped he would say that Lekalta could, that he wouldn't take her sister from her. She didn't think he would but he seemed so different now Inna just didn't know anymore. She didn't know a lot of things and then finally he spoke saying that she could and a tear ran down her cheek. “May I sit with you for awhile, keep you company?” She asked looking between the two wolves. She didn't even care if they talked or all Lekalta did was sleep she just needed to be near her sister then after everything that had happened.