(See All?) Announcements
676 Users Online
Bing, Google

nothing left to say — Wild Rye Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Fenrir who has 639 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
Wild Rye Fields, your half-dead guest returns to life. If I messed something up or my assumptions are bad, let me know and I'll edit <3 Anyone is welcome!

you do not know who is your friend

and who is your enemy

It had been a while.

In and out of fever, of delirious dreams and hallucinations, memories coming and going, blurring; the air burning in his lungs and throat as he coughed, wet or weak or dry. His winter fur thin and matted, his sides sunken, the steel gray hairs creeping among the white on his muzzle more numerous. His eyes, vacant. Sometimes, he'd wandered out of the infirmary, stumbling into the snow and looking for redemption, but finding only a confusing vista and some Rye wolf herding him back inside.

He had already lost all sense of time and space, adrift in sickness and some kind of gut-wrenching grief. He had spoken with Death in the darkness, but in more lucid moments, probably only talked to himself. How long it had been—how long he had been there—he didn't know.

What warranted such kindness towards a relic he didn't know either, except on the days he saw Jessie's face, or remembered her finding him out on the tundra. The worry in her eyes. The pleading in her voice. The memory was fractured, splintered, slivers of a night that seemed to stretch impossibly, warp and contort as other things butted into it. Swift River; Rissa; Kisla; the mountains. Corinna. Indru. Things he hadn't thought of in a long, long time.

But as the clouds finally break after a storm, and the sun rises even after the longest night, his mind began to clear. His weak body slowly healed. Bit by bit, he put the pieces back together: he was Ice, of Oak Tree Bend, the father who always abandoned. He had gone to Hearthwood River, and learned of Kisla's death. He had begun to head back home, but he'd never made it. His memories were a haze of different locations, of going in circles—even looking for Ava in Darkwater Rapids—of his lungs burning up, and of stumbling through snow, paws freezing, ears freezing, soul freezing. The mountain range, always the mountain range, until the tundra. Until Jessie.

Slowly, the old wolf hauled himself out of the infirmary den he'd been deposited in. A pale late winter sun shone from low in the blue sky, touching his face with gentle rays, as if whispering a welcome, acceptance of Ice's return to the world of the living. He blinked his silver eyes, a weak, but dry, cough rattling his thin body. A blanket of snow rolling down to the uneven horizon, the vibrant rye fields sleeping under its winter blanket. Ice's nostril's flared. How long had he been lost? How long had he been ill?

Did Serach know? About Kisla? About him? Did he think him a coward, who had run; or did he worry, because he knew of Ice's age? Did he hate, for having gone missing again, or did he have it in him to forgive?

Slowly, Ice went forward, stumbling a little, but he made it to the brook. Beneath the thin ice, water bubbled, and weakly, the large wolf let a paw fall on it until it broke. He bent his head and drank, mind heavy with the knowledge that he wasn't in the clear yet. Tomorrow, day after, he'd be lost in the haze again, but he came out of it more often than he had.

until the ice breaks.

Played by Arya who has 292 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Adelayde Artemieva

The Rye beta was well aware of the guest that they had within the infirmary the past few months. He was a dear friend of @Jessie's and was quite sick, but @Neko was helping him as best as she could. She could tell the man was rather old, a notably respected aspect to him, figuring he had a sea of stories to tell. If he ever was conscious enough to tell them. Whenever she would deliver food to the infirmary, Ade was never able to talk with him. Partly because she didn't want to hinder his healing, but also because he was also in a daze. Always deciding to leave him be, she would deposit the food and be on her way.

Today, however, was much different. With a rabbit tightly grabbed within her muzzle, she trotted towards the creek that cut through the territory which the infirmary wasn't far from. As she dear closer the form of their guest was standing along the creek, quenching his thirst. Her eyes widened as she had never seen the man outside of the dark den. Rushing over to him, though careful not to startle him if he was in his daze.

Dropping the rabbit next to him after crossing the creek, she tried to search his gaze before speaking. "Is there anything I can help you with? I brought you a rabbit today."

(This post was last modified: Feb 18, 2018, 04:53 AM by Adelayde.)
Played by Fenrir who has 639 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir

you do not know who is your friend

and who is your enemy

Something about feeling firmly in his own mind—as much as he still could—was so incredibly freeing. It was a moment that was truly his own, something he might remember in a week or two. Clarity. As he watched the distorted reflection of himself, he knew who he was, who he saw in the cold waters. It didn't do much to assuage the guilt and worry he felt, but it offered him a sliver of hope. He couldn't count on his son's forgiveness, but everything be damned; Ice would make it back to the Bend. He wasn't going to stay up here and rot away.

He just needed to get to a point where long travel was at all realistic, which, currently it wasn't.

Stupid old body. The pale wolf grunted to himself, and raised his head from the creek. It was tempting to just stand there all day, let the sun wash over his face and body.. he breathed in, and opened his eyes a little wider. Someone was coming—a familiar smell, but one he could put no real face to. Just a blur of memories, a wolf in the den, food, no voice, no name. She had been around a lot, that much he knew, but what she had done, he couldn't say.

She was running towards him, a rabbit in her mouth, some blood on her lips. The closer she came, the more he realized how large she was. Tall and thick and tawny, but bright-eyed. Ice's head lowered a fraction, tail drooping. While he doubted any of the Rye wolves would demand a proper show of submission from him, he was still a stranger in their midst.

She hopped over the small creek and dropped the rabbit, her bright, mis-matched eyes searching his. Ice let her hold them for a moment, before averting his gaze. Today, he was himself; still coughing weakly from time to time, but not mumbling about dead things or lost pups or screaming about having to get to Swift River. "Help, I—?" he began to echo her, somewhat confused; did he need help? He needed a new body so he could go home, but he doubted she could do that. He cast an eye down at the rabbit. It was tantalizing, but some things had to be settled first.

One thing that bothered him was all the snow. It had been somewhere between summer and fall when he had left to journey to Hearthwood River, and now it was fucking winter, but the answer to the question 'how long have I been here?' was probably too depressing, so Ice chose not to ask that. "I'm quite alright today, thank you. I know you've been around, I remember your smell very clearly, but I'm sorry, I don't know your name..?"

until the ice breaks.

let the stars above shine in your soul