261 Users Online
Google, Bing

solace at turtle island — Fallen Tree Cove 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Hero who has 204 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Bastet Akhenaten
For @Solas

She was tired and yet, the dark woman could not sleep. It was becoming a common routine for her; wake during the middle of the night, walk the land until her paws grew tired and retire into her den as the sun was rising. She was nearly always exhausted but none could tell, she hid it fairly well except of course she hardly retired from her den until the evening when so many were beginning to seek sleep. This night was no different, she walked in silence, yawning as she went and stretching while she marked the border or sniffed at the base of the occasional bush. With them being so high up in the mountain she rarely came across trouble but it was the only duty she could perform during the night without alarming the others. She was busy completely the task, bending down to squat and urinate near a high traffic boulder before she caught the sound of someone or rather something moving and she paused midstream to stand upon all fours, hair bristling. There was hardly anyone up at this time of the morning, so guests would be met with caution and with a voice of annoyance she spoke into the wind,  "Who's there?!" she asked, knowing that the numbers of the pack had swelled since her joining and perhaps someone was just as restless as her.
Played by Hex who has 200 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Solas ColdHeart

He had been gone much longer than he had expected. The hunting trip that he had started early that morning had dragged on to late at night and now he was only just returning. Solas padded softly through the familiar trees his catch swinging in his jaws. It had been his own stubbornness to catch something that had caused him to be out longer than he had thought he would be. He could have given up hours ago but returning with nothing to show for it would just leave a bitter taste in his mouth.

Tired from the lack of sleep and the energy that he had used to catch the quick rabbit Solas was quite ready to go to bed. A voice called out and Solas froze, rabbit swinging in his jaws. His hackles rose even though he knew that it was someone from the pack. The stormy male just didn't like that he had been unaware of her presence until that moment. Smoothing his coat he padded in her direction, scuffing his paws so that she would hear him coming.

Once in sight, he waved his tail briefly in greeting before putting his catch down so that he wouldn't be speaking around a mouthful of fur. He noted her bristled fur and forced his own fur to remain flat. She had startled him as much as he had startled her it seemed. Solas. He told her knowing full well that she knew who he was. They had hunted together before after all. Didn't think anyone was up at this time. Did something happen? Perhaps something had happened while he had been out and a faint frown pulled the corners of his mouth down.

[Image: solas_sig_by_becuffin-dbocy7k.png]
[Image: vnuylcejuy1r9dyd_by_silversnake54-dc87n0m.gif]
Inactive No Rank
Bastet Akhenaten
She caught whiff of two smells; prey and pack mate. She abandoned her duty to patrol the pack and moved closer to the scent of Solas, he was familiar to her and yet she realized she didn't know much about the male aside from his ability to hunt. He was skilled, an asset and so far she didn't question his loyalty but she wasn't particularly fond of him sneaking up on her, and though she made to keep her facial expression neutral she couldn't quite shake the annoyance from her voice. "I remember you," she mentioned after he gave his name and without word she came closer, if only to take in the shadow of a wolf he was before continuing on, this time her voice had finally lost the bite that had accompanied it. "nothing is wrong, I was just patrolling. Can't quite sleep right some nights." she commented, wondering if perhaps that was why he was still up. She knew that not many were up at this hour of the day, mostly because of the protection that their borders had given them but Bastet had grown cautious since returning to the Lore and was beginning to realize that it was part of her insomnia. "what do you have there?" she asked him, cocking her head to the side. She could smell the catch even from this distance but she wanted to make conversation if only so they weren't staying awkwardly at each other.

Inactive No Rank
Solas ColdHeart

It seemed that she wasn't as pleased to see him either. Good, maybe he had scared her in turn. At the very least it made them even in that aspect. He didn't otherwise respond to her first tense comment. Solas thought there was no need, he remembered her name and they really didn't need to do introductions all over again. He simply watched as she approached waiting to see what she did. They weren't close and besides the one hunting trip that she had led he didn't exactly now her.

His frown smoothed as she responded that nothing was wrong she just couldn't sleep and was patrolling. He nodded in understanding. He hadn't been sleeping well as of late but that had more to do with the scent that was floating in the air than anything else. Your not the only one. He commented back with a soft sigh. He would be happy when this time was over then he would at least be able to get a full nights rest. Thinking about it just made him even more tired and he almost sighed again but held it in.

Bastet questioned what he had and he looked down at it before his gaze went back to her. A rabbit. He responded back but then she probably knew that. I caught it over in Spectral Woods. Took me longer than I thought it would and I'm only returning now. Maybe he would have to try the mountains tomorrow and see if there was anything that he could catch there.

Hungry? He asked tipping his own head curiously. One rabbit wasn't going to missed from the caches if she decided a meal was in order. If he found something a bit bigger then maybe but a rabbit? A rabbit wasn't going to cause a problem in the slightest unless food was scarce but he was making sure that they had enough on hand so that wasn't a problem.

Inactive No Rank
Bastet Akhenaten
She could only image the amount of strength it took for the males in the pack to not act on their impulses, she knew that for herself it was hard to stay in the company of the opposite sex without wanting to touch them inappropriately and beg for the to react in a way that could jeopardize all her hard work. She was surprised she hadn't holed herself up in a den somewhere until the horrible season was over but thankfully the wolves in the Cove were respectful and knew what the consequences held. It didn't stop her from eyeing Solas in silence, admiring features of his that she hadn't noticed in their last encounter and inwardly wondering how it would feel to be with him. She practically closed her eyes to push the impulse away, despite it attempting to return a second and third time. "I'm sure it'll pass soon," she said, assuring him as well as herself but it was growing harder to convince herself. Her attention shifted to the rabbit, a welcome distraction, and she licked her lips absentmindedly before speaking.  "Only if you wouldn't mind sharing, I wouldn't want to take it all."  she said, coming closer, the offer tempting.

Inactive No Rank
Solas ColdHeart

He would be glad when this season was over. Every time he went into the den he was put on edge because of the scent that clung where everyone slept. The only reason why he didn't find a different place to sleep was that he felt sure that he wouldn't act on those desires. He was around only because of those impulses and that had led him to grow up without a father. He had no intentions of doing that to a child of his especially when in the process they would be kicked out of the pack. In all, it simply wasn't worth it, even though he seemed to be tempted repeatedly. Even now she was watching him with a look that let him know what was on her mind.

Let's hope so. He responded back tiredly he could only run on so much sleep and he could only take so much temptation before something happened to make him forget his reasons and slip up. Plus, if this kept up he might he might end up falling on his face in front of a rabbit and only be able to watch it hop away. That would make him feel so great about himself. Maybe he would need to take a nap while on his hunts to make sure that it didn't happen.

Solas grinned as she licked her lips before saying that if he didn't mind sharing because she didn't want to take it all. Eat what you want to I'm not all that hungry. He nosed the rabbit closer to her as she approached. It was hard to be hungry when all you wanted to do was curl up. Sitting down so that at least his paws could rest he waited for her to enjoy her meal, even if it was small.

Inactive No Rank
Bastet Akhenaten
She wasn't all that hungry either but the more they discussed it the more she wanted it, perhaps as a way to occupy her time, and thus she snatched it up as soon as he nosed it closer and began to tear into the flesh. She wasn't picky, taking care to eat around the thick downy fur and felt the sensation of blood along her jaws, fore legs and chest before licking herself decently clean and returning to the conversation in-between bites. "Have you considered taking up the role as hunter?" she asked, knowing how successful he had been in helping her take down the goat and now the rabbit, albeit small, was a gift in itself. She was sure that he was built for the task, even if he thought otherwise.  "with summer around the corner I'm sure Kajika and Moonshadow would love to know we have a dedicated hunter for when the prey come back." she said, throwing the idea out into the universe. It was, after all, his choice.

Inactive No Rank
Solas ColdHeart

As soon as he moved the rabbit closer to her she dug in. Was it odd that watching her eat made him feel satisfied? He knew he could hunt and catch things for himself and others but seeing his packmate tear into the rabbit made him content. Perhaps it was because he felt more useful knowing that he could help and provide for the pack. Maybe that was the case, maybe not he didn't know but the grin on his face grew as he watched.

The grin faltered when he was asked if he had considered being a hunter. She also added the Kajika and Moon would love to have a hunter when the prey came back. I have thought about it but I don't know if I should. He responded with a frown as he looked up at the stars lost in thought. I feel like I need to learn to hunt different ways. Right now I've been focusing on rabbits and other creatures, with the occasional goat as long as Kajika's available. He could hunt deer but it had been awhile and going down into the forest to hunt now felt odd.

He looked back to Bastet. Do you have any suggestions? She was older than him and likely to have more experience so he figured she was bound to know something that he didn't on the topic.

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Bastet Akhenaten
Advisor role demonstration 1/6

Licking herself clean and pushing aside the carcass, she eyed the dark male as he admitted to her how he had been busying himself in the winter. She knew that prey was few and far in-between during this time, especially since most of the hearty prey had long since migrated to other areas more rich with nutrients or warmer weather therefore those that did remain required more effort and wolves. The pack numbers had definitely swelled since Bastet's joining but she knew how hard it could be to organize a hunt and what's worse, to find adequate enough prey. She contemplated his words for a moment, "Scavenging is the perfect way to hunt during this time actually, there are so many predators that had left behind carcasses too big to carry and they can sometimes leave behind enough food to fill the caches if it isnt too badly frozen." she started off, knowing the male would probably be very well versed in tracking,  "but I'm sure with the weather warming up, you'll be able to find a plenthora of creatures. Both small and large. I think the moose and elk are coming back soon, they should make for great rewards after the slim pickings of winter." she admitted, chuckling then a broad smile. "would you be comfortable with tracking the migration of the elk or moose, I'm sure we can find their paths soon..." and she trailed off, waiting for the male to respond. There too, was the smell of deer she found in the wind but with their few numbers, she knew it would be quite the task.
(This post was last modified: Apr 27, 2018, 04:50 AM by Bastet.)