(See All?) Announcements
360 Users Online
Google, Bing, Apollo

show me what you got — Whisper Marsh 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Joe who has 377 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
OOC: for @Ferreiran   but others are welcome. Takes place after this thread. Very late at night.

Meant to take place in Whisper Marsh!

I feel numb, born with a weak heart

The yearling took a defensive stance, his paws well placed underneath him and separated slightly to prepare for impact. He was well grounded, using his core to stay balanced. He grunted deep in his throat, giving one sharp nod. “Run at me, as hard as you can,” he ordered, his voice strong and unwavering. He wanted to get better at taking hits, and there was only one way to do that. 

He needed to build a tolerance to being charged at. Ferreiran was a great equal, since he was around the same size. That would give Vaken the opportunity to learn, gain a resistance to being shoved. The cold air made it easier to handle the exertion of energy too.

“No holding back,” he called, digging his nails into the dirt. He was sure the wolf could knock him off balance-but that was okay. He would keep practising and eventually learn how to steady himself.

I guess I must be having fun
(This post was last modified: Aug 09, 2018, 01:48 AM by Kerberos.)
currently travelling with Circe (she can jump in any of his threads)
[Image: bountyhunter_otb_by_a_yellow_bird-dc8zt91.png]
Played by Wolfsong who has 106 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Ferreiran narrowed his glowing yellow eyes and growled, though it was all in fun. His tail swept through the air, excited for the training fight, and his eyes twinkled with anticipation. They were on one of the most solid sections of the marsh spreading out all around them, and his paws just barely sunk into the ground as he pawed at it, like a bull ready to charge.

He hesitated a bit, planning what he would do, before racing forward. He kept low. Every part of his body was as close to the ground as he could make it while running. This was partly because it was just natural at this point for him to stay low, but it was also because he wanted to strike from surprise. He turned a little, circling the patchy male, and he began to move faster, hoping to catch him off guard. The dark male didn't really know the fighting skill of his friend. He knew he was small, though not quite as small as him, and more importantly, he knew he didn't have the stamina to fight for a long time. That was probably the best thing Ferreiran knew to help him in this battle.
Have you read my player preferences?
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

As expected, the speckled yearling ate dirt. He didn’t even stumble back and then loose his balance. As soon as his companion and competitor hit him, he was knocked over. Not only caught off guard, but thrown off balance, Vaken fell into the ground with a heavy thud. He didn’t whimper or growl, instead he sighed and struggled back onto his paws. Vaken was taller than Ferreiran, but not longer. While he weighed slightly more, he was mostly leg. That made it easier for him to tip over. “Again,” he grunted, straightening himself up. 

He knew it seemed a bit childish, but it was the only way he was gonna learn. The ambitious boy was stubborn and impossible to manage sometimes. He wanted to keep taking the hits. He was confident in his ability to dodge them, but he didn’t have the capacity to be thrown around. He was embarrassingly frail. He relied too much on his speed to keep him protected. With Ferreiran, he knew it wasn’t a real dangerous battle. He was comfortable enough with the wolf to allow him to do this. “Harder this time.”

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Ferreiran didn't expect his long-legged friend to topple over so easily. Clearly there was a lot of work to do. He stepped back, waiting for Vaken to get to his feet. He spent that time thinking of his attack. The male liked to catch a foe off guard, as he he had the last time, but he probably didn't need to here. Instead he would simply charge. It would be good practice for him if he ever got strong enough to fight that way against a bigger wolf.

When his friend was ready, the dark wolf dashed into action. He leapt to the left, just before he hit Vaken's chest, and crashed into a dark shoulder. But he used too much force, and though he tried to stay on his feet, digging his claws into the mud-splattered grass, he couldn't, sending his whole body falling onto the other wolf. He landed on his back, a mess of dark legs thrashing in the air. Then he rolled over and hit the muddy ground, before finally pulling himself to his feet. His side was coated in mud. Ferreiran walked backwards for a few steps, before shaking his pelt vigorously to try and get it off.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

As soon as the wolf fell into him, Vaken lost his balance. He had tried to sturdy himself, but the other wolf’s weight was too much. Both wolves went toppling over, thumping into the muddy ground with a bang. Letting out a half growl-whimper, Vaken scrambled out from under his companion angrily. He wasn’t completely mad at his friend, he was more mad at himself for not being able to stay on his feet. 

“Again, again,” he chanted, shaking his fur off as well. He didn’t mind the dirt at all. He was quite pleased, aware that it would keep the flying bugs off his fur. It didn’t smell great, but that was fine. Vaken never smelt that great. He straightened himself out, shifting his feet apart. He swayed for a second, trying to get comfortable with the idea of being body-slammed.

He wanted to be a good fighter, and that meant taking hits and staying on your feet. “Whenever you’re ready.”

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Could we wrap it up in the next couple posts?
Ferreiran flicked an ear in exasperation. Would this be all he did tonight? Just knocking Vaken down over and over? By no means was he a constant thrill-seeker, and he knew this was important, even more so due to the fact that the patchy wolf wasn't all that good at it, but he had hoped his friend would stay up at least a little.

He pushed the thoughts to the back of his mind. This was what he was doing and whining about it wouldn't do anyone any good. Ferreiran repeated the same strategy he had used the last time, thinking that it might give Vaken a chance to practice, and perhaps at some point be able to counter it fairly well.
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart
OOC: of course! Let's try and get the 10 posts in, but we can end it there if you'd like.

Vaken managed to keep himself right side up, but stumbled still. He took a few steps back, trying to keep his core entered and legs straight. It was difficult, but he remained on his feet fairly well. Letting out a grunt of acceptance, he took a second to catch his breath. That was good enough for now. Offering Ferreiran a quizzical glance, the young wolf felt himself furrowing his brows. “Where did you learn to fight?”

Vaken really knew very little about his friend. Since he didn’t speak, there wasn’t a lot of background story for the yearling to go off on. Did Ferreiran ever live in a pack, is that where he learned to fight? Or was he always like Vaken, a struggling lone wolf, who learned to fight for safety? Taking a step towards the sleek wolf, he tried to encourage him to talk by gently touching his shoulder with Vaken’s nose.

Inactive No Rank
Ferreiran Morse
Ferreiran made sure to leap back quickly so he wouldn't fall onto his friend again. He was glad that Vaken stayed on his feet. Soon they would both be much better at fighting. He was readying himself for another charge, when the patchy wolf's question came. It was odd but he basically learned everything he knew about fighting in his puphood. His brothers had always been willing to fight and sometimes it would get a little out of hand if both of them piled on top of him. Mother had never been in a hurry to try to defend her least favorite solitary pup, so he had had to learn on his own. "Pup fights, mostly," he said, before realized nobody could understand that. "They got rough."
Inactive No Rank
Vaken Svart

Ah, that made sense. The boy gave Ferreiran an understanding nod, his mouth a tight line. He knew what it was like having siblings, especially stronger, tougher ones. He sighed momentarily, his eyes glossing over as he thought about Ledare. The stronger Svart. His father’s prodigal son. The small scrawny wolf gave a snort. “Brothers?” He inquired. “How many?”

Vaken was lucky to only know of his one sibling. One brother was more than enough. The yearling wouldn’t have known what to do with more siblings. He could barely even handle the one he had. Keeping track of his breathing, the scruffy messy boy softened his body language. He was tired of practicing, despite having the motivation to learn more. It would have to wait.

(This post was last modified: Aug 15, 2018, 12:39 AM by Vaken.)
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
A young fawn has gotten separated from its herd. Hunt Opportunity, +8 Health