(See All?) Announcements
59 Users Online
Google, Bing

Reboot: LP & Fight System
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Soooo I've been bouncing around other RP sites lately, and one thing I've seen a lot is automated points and points shops. I think similar to what shadow mentioned about rewards? Some things that reward points are automatic (starting a thread, posting, refferals, etc) though staff can also manually award players points for specific things.

One thing that did bring to mind is actually using LP as a disposable resource/currency in a "site shop"??

Say perhaps you can use LP to purchase a subterritory, medicinal herbs, an additional character, puppies, a site skin, etc. Have options for both IC and OOC rewards so people can spend their points on whatever they find motivating. Maybe even have starting a pack cost LP (after staff permission of course). That way there's actually concrete "rewards" to earning LP rather than just becoming a fighting god or being able to start a pack. And thinking about it, I kind of like the idea of having to spend LP to start a pack or have pups... perhaps it would cut down on pack/pup turnover if it actually costs to have one...

Of course this would be a totally different turn to our current system, but I thought the idea is neat and I just wanted to toss it out there.
(Mar 11, 2019, 05:29 AM)Mako Wrote:  Soooo I've been bouncing around other RP sites lately, and one thing I've seen a lot is automated points and points shops. I think similar to what shadow mentioned about rewards? Some things that reward points are automatic (starting a thread, posting, refferals, etc) though staff can also manually award players points for specific things.

One thing that did bring to mind is actually using LP as a disposable resource/currency in a "site shop"??

Say perhaps you can use LP to purchase a subterritory, medicinal herbs, an additional character, puppies, a site skin, etc. Have options for both IC and OOC rewards so people can spend their points on whatever they find motivating. Maybe even have starting a pack cost LP (after staff permission of course). That way there's actually concrete "rewards" to earning LP rather than just becoming a fighting god or being able to start a pack. And thinking about it, I kind of like the idea of having to spend LP to start a pack or have pups... perhaps it would cut down on pack/pup turnover if it actually costs to have one...

Of course this would be a totally different turn to our current system, but I thought the idea is neat and I just wanted to toss it out there.

This is certainly interesting! I know in the past we decided not to make them spendable because they're supposed to track development and your character shouldn't lose development, but you do highlight that right now there's not a whole lot to "do" with LP. What do others think of this idea? Interested in hearing your thoughts as it will change how we implement this feature on the updated board.

Regardless, Sarah and I have been exploring options to make awarding LP/rewards more automatic for things related to threading/posting. There are some that would still need to be manually awarded, but if we cut down on the options for them, that's less of an issue.
[Image: AplcUOC.png]
I love the idea of points as currency
[Image: hashtags-skollmorganna02.png][Image: hashtags-morgannarenier.png]
It might even the playing field when it comes to new characters fighting older, more established characters, and people could also choose to keep all of their LP and stay 'tanks' if they wanted, so I actually like this idea. I would kind of be concerned that it would add more of a workload to staff, but perhaps there would be an easy way around that?
Have you seen my OOC preferences?
[Image: YCWYGS9.png]
I guess I don’t really understand how that mixing of IC and OOC would go. Like if points are earned through IC means, it feels weird to take them away for OOC things. Or if you use points to buy being able to have puppies, then it takes away being able to award somebody from having puppies, right? Or would those two transactions just cancel out? Idk. I’m having a hard time understanding how a point currency would work in practice.
I guess I don't see it being a problem mixing IC and OOC rewards? I think people are motivated by different things and it would just even out in the end. Say you have a character who you see NEVER having pups or starting a pack or any of the IC rewards, you might be happy buying a site skin or a subterritory with their points. And if someone wants to buy both IC and OOC rewards, then they just have to get their hustle on and earn enough points, yeah?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by awarding puppies though.

Edit: Wait I figured out what you mean.
Ermm.. I guess yeah currently we award people LP for having pups but... If we're talking about rebuilding stuff from the ground up perhaps that's something you dont earn points for? I mean points are kind of incentives for you to do things. And people don't really need more incentive to have puppies (and maybe we need to disincentivize it at this point seeing as we have 300 pups every year). The puppies are enough of an incentive themselves.

I guess what I'm proposing is changing LP from a catalog of milestones to just an earn able resource that rewards posting and interacting. So you would kind of have to step back and rethink what exactly you earn points for. Though I'm aware this does take away the current milestone aspect which some people really enjoy about LP.

Perhaps change milestone events to ribbons/badges? Like a 'have pups badge' or 'lead a pack' badge or whatever. So that you do get recognition for completing these milestones but aren't rewarded with points for doing them.

(and depending on level of trust could even automate awarding milestone ribbons by just putting them up in the points shop for free. After all its not like the ribbons would actually get you any in game advantage and people can obviously tell if you have a 'lead a pack' ribbon and don't lead a pack)
Got it, that makes a lot more sense to me! I think I was just concerned that by spending points, members wouldn't be able to show off some of the IC achievements they had earned.

If we're going to go with this kind of system, we need to determine three categories of things:
1. Things members can earn points for
2. Things members can spend those points on
3. Things members can earn awards/ribbons for (thinking these would be for bigger development milestones like got a mate, had pups, founded a pack, earned a skill, etc.)

Bonus: We need to decide how this would play into a fight system. My personal preference would be we go back to basics and do a simple dice system. To take into account character development, you could look at the total # of awards a character has and adjust their roll accordingly. You could also allow users to spend points on a better roll of the dice? Maybe, I'm less certain on that one.
Spendable points:
  • Member of the month
  • Wolf of the Month
  • Complete a thread
  • Complete a Random Event thread
  • Monthly Top Poster
  • Referrals
Buyable stuff:
  • Create a pack
  • Have cubs - perhaps the "price" could be different for leaders/subordinates and loners. Maybe even free for lead pairs, since they're supposed to be having cubs?
  • Discover a subterritory
  • Site skin/avatar/table? Of course, we would have to have volunteers for this one, and probably make them a lil more expensive because of resources. We don't want to bog down any artists with unpaid commissions.
Points used for fights:
  • Physique
  • Gain a mate
  • Have Cubs
  • Join the adult ranks
  • Participate in a Rank Challenge
  • Participate in a Pack Hunt
  • Participate in a Pack Activity
  • Gain a Pack Role
  • Demonstrate a Pack Role
  • Complete 5 threads
  • Participate in a Fight
  • Age 1 year onsite
Having a second drop-down after AW/P for all of these things could work towards making things completely automatic. We would have to be basing it all on the honors system since the players would have to label their own threads prior to archiving, but honestly I don't see anyone currently rping here abusing this feature.

My real problem with this is whether to put the 'Completed a thread/Completed a with packmates.' in spendable points, or awards/points used for fight system. For the points/ribbons used for the fight system you would want points coming in frequently enough to track your development, and put some space between your established characters, and brand new characters. However, I feel like it would fit in just as well in the spendable points category, that way you could actually have enough points coming in to buy stuff. Idk, there are pros and cons to both.

I've tentatively put 'Complete a Thread' under spendable points so that even loners can gain points, and 'Completed 5 threads' under the points used for ribbons/fight stats since that's more of an achievement, and I believe you said that stacking was automatic? Idk I just don't want things to become too confusing/difficult to code/too hard on staff.

Tldr: I feel like putting completed threads in spendable points would be good, because people would want to complete threads to actually spend them on 'perks', but I also think that putting them into the points/ribbons we will use for fight stats would give established characters a little more of an upper hand, so that a brand new character couldn't just crush them.

I'm a little concerned about having to spend points to bring in new characters, since we did away with the whole waiting two weeks to bring in another character for a reason, but at the same time it might honestly be helpful in regards to people ending up with more characters than they can handle. I definitely wouldn't like to have to spend points for bringing on a puppy, since points have already been spent to create them in the first place, so if we go with this then I don't think it should apply to cubs.

As for simple dice rolls adjusted for characters, yes please. 

Edit: I think we should really add some way to make joining a pack a little more inviting. Not so much so that it's impossible to be a lone wolf, or that the fun is taken out of being a lone wolf, but I know we tend to struggle with keeping wolves in packs/keeping packs going, so adding some sort of perk for being a pack wolf might be a good way to fix that problem. Maybe we could somehow do that with these points?
Have you seen my OOC preferences?
[Image: YCWYGS9.png]