610 Users Online
Google, Bing, Vanadis, Mouseling

Big Dipper
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Flywolf who has 320 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
For @Viorel fishing time!
Takes place 10/1, early evening as it's starting to get darker.

Archer spent a lot of time thinking about that disastrous fishing lesson with his brothers and Da, and spent a lot of time trying to pinpoint exactly what went wrong - other than being small. But he was bigger now, and he thought he had a good chance of catching something. If he did it right, anyway. All he had to do was remember what Da had told them.

Archer waited until later in the day, when most of the others started to settle down. Or, he thought they settled down. He knew now that S- Margo, Margo, liked mornings, and hoped Oleander did too. He wanted to try this when no one else was around to laugh at him. If he could practice, then he could show off later and prove to Da he was the best.

The water was cool on his paws as he hesitantly stepped in, this time wading only up to his knees instead up nearly submerging himself. That way if he did fall, he could catch himself easier. The water was the fish's domain, and the land was his. Here, in the world between, he wanted to give himself as much advantage as possible.

And the fish that could reach him here would be smaller, and therefore much more manageable. Archer knew at least that getting the technique down first was more important than the size of the fish. For now.

He stood still for all of a minute before he saw the flash of scales in the slowly dying light, and made a pounce for it. The splash was loud and dirt clouded up around his paws, but he kept chasing the glimmering shadow that was his prey.

[size=x-small]Archer is very haggard and thin; it is obvious he is not doing well.
Played by Ghost who has 625 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle

Viorel had been just finishing his evening patrol when the sound of splashing caught his attention. His interest was piqued, but given that his children were now much larger than they were with the initial backwater incident it did not even cross his mind that it might be dangerous. That being said, he was sure it was not any of the adult Valles who had mastered fishing in their youth, and that was the telltale splash of what he assumed was someone playing.

Trotting leisurely onto the scene, he came to a halt and tilted his head at the sight that greeted him. In the dim lighting he could make out the dark rump of Archer sticking up in the air, as his paws and jaws snapped and stomped around in the shallow water. Smiling in amusement at his son’s self-directed lesson, Viorel sat down gently a few meters away so as to not disturb him. For now, he was happy to watch and see what his son could do.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
Archer snapped futilely in the water, hoping to get something and being sorely disappointed. Finally when water rushed up his nose he sat back, sneezing and soaked. He glared at the murky water in front of him. So much for fish. He couldn't see anything below the surface here anymore. He stamped one paw in frustration and was turning to slog back to shore so he could find another spot when he spotted his Da, sitting and watching him.

He froze.

His brain took a moment to catch up to the realization that his Da was there, and if his Da was there then maybe his Ma was too, or Eros, or one of his other siblings. Archer's gaze darted around them, searching for any further silhouettes in the growing darkness. He'd thought he was getting better at being aware of his surroundings, but then again his head had been under water and he'd been making a lot of noise.

"I'm fishing," he finally said, moving to stand before his Da and shaking the water from his fur. He glared back at the water in frustration. "They're too fast!"

[size=x-small]Archer is very haggard and thin; it is obvious he is not doing well.
Viorel Valle

The father watched as his son mostly splashed around and came up with nothing in his mouth besides a maw full of murky water. Grinning as Archer trotted up to him, looking more akin to a drowned rat rather than a growing wolf pup. Ducking out of the way of the flying droplets when the boy shook Viorel chuckled and knocked at his son’s shoulder with his snout.

Nodding in understanding he agreed, ”They are very fast, yes, and much better swimmers than you or I, or any wolf that I’ve ever seen.” They didn’t live their whole lives under the water afterall, they were creatures that were made for the land. Padding back towards the pond he added, ”But, while they are fast, they are not very smart and they can be easily tricked.” Wading into the pond until the chilled water reached his knees, he held very still.

Looking back at Archer he explained, ”If you stand really still, they will think you’re just a tree or something and they will come close to you.” He waited for the dark pup to join him, and for the fish to return once the silt settled.

Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
Archer was pleased his Da didn't seem to think he was too much of a failure for still not catching any fish, so after only a moment of hesitation he followed him out into the water. This time it didn't seem so deep, since he'd grown more, and Archer felt better about his ability to keep his feet under him when the chance arose to catch something.

"They'll think we're trees?" he asked, keeping his voice down as he gazed at his Da. His nose wrinkled. "They must be really dumb." He couldn't imagine thinking something about to eat him was a tree. That seemed silly. Nothing at wolves anyway, and he knew his Ma and Da would protect him if any danger did come around. Not that it would. Nothing would dare challenge the Backwater wolves in their own kingdom.

Viorel Valle

The silvery flash of fish were just beginning to become clear beneath the still surface when his son spoke and Viorel could not hold in the snorting laughter. The fish scattered once more,but it was worth it. Grinning cheekily at Archer he nodded, ”You’re right, they are dumb, but very fast. So we have to outsmart them, since we can’t outswim them.” Then the man was still and silent again, ready and waiting.

Leaning down slowly, so his muzzle was almost touching the water, he watched the silver bodies begin to move beneath the surface. They were cautious, but curious, and Viorel could be patient. As they got more comfortable and less interested, he gave his son a side eye, go, now! And waited to see what would happen, would Archer be successful?

Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
The dice bots have it out for Archer.

Archer could see the fish coming towards them in the dark water, their smooth bodies flashing in the moonlight. Unfortunately, his comment made his Da laugh, and the fish darted away again. Da was right; they were fast. He grunted in frustration and looked up to soak in Da's words, and this time he remained silent when he finished. Archer looked back down at the water, mirroring his Da's posture but keeping his eyes rolled to the side to watch the patriarch.

Then Da gave him a clear signal to go, and without looking first Archer snapped his jaws into the water, all confidence as he dove forward. Once again his teeth closed on nothing, and this time he came up sneezing, his nose burning from snorted water.

He stamped one paw and growled at the water.

Viorel Valle

The father could barely contain the laughter that threatened to leave his lungs when Archer splashed his face down into the water. Inhaling sharply to keep it down, Viorel looked away until he was sure he could look back with a straight face. Even worse was his son growling and stomping on the water, as if that was going to make the fish stay still for him, or leap out into his jaws.

Looking back at the water he was quiet for a minute then whispered, ”Keep your eyes on the fish, even as you’re trying to bite them. It will help your aim, always keep your eyes on the fish.” He didn’t move, last time they had had a fishing lesson he had crippled one for his sons, but he believed in Archer. He could do it, if he tried, was quiet, still, and never took his eyes off the fish. Archer could do it.

Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle

Archer Valle

Archer was oblivious to his father's laughter, focused on glaring at the water as he was. If the stupid sand didn't swell up around him it would be easier to see. It would be easier to see during the day, too, but that's part of why he decided to fish at night. No witnesses. Well, his Da was a witness now, wasn't he?

It was at this thought that Archer looked back up at his father, nose wrinkled in annoyance. It still burned from the water, but that could be ignored for now, even if it made him want to sneeze. He gave a frustrated nod and fell quiet again before looking intently back into the water. It took a while for the sand to settle again, and then even longer for the fish to grow brave enough to venture towards them. Archer had to clamp his teeth down over his boredom and force himself to remain still. It was so hard. He wanted to catch a fish now!

Still, he waited, and even when a fish ventured what he thought might be close enough, he refrained from moving. He wanted to be sure of his attack this time. It slowly wandered closer. A little more, a little more... just a bit further... Gotcha!

Archer pounced, driving forward as he had before, only this time he didn't close his eyes when he plunged his face in the water. The fish tried to dart away, but Archer felt his teeth sink into its sides and he clamped down with all his might. He wasn't losing this one! He held it up triumphantly. It was small, but it was his; he'd caught it all by himself. Well, with direction from Da, anyway, but Da didn't catch it for him this time. "Oo uht ah iiith!" he said through the fish, teeth still closed tight. He splashed back to the shore and dropped it far enough back that it couldn't try to make a break for the water, even if it was going to be dead soon anyway. "Look what I did!" he crowed again, tail wagging as he looked at his Da. "I did it! I caught a fish all by myself!" He couldn't help the full body wriggle as he pranced around his fish.

When he finished celebrating, he glanced at it; it wasn't as big as the one they'd caught before, but it wasn't tiny. He looked back up at Da. "Wanna share?" He was so excited he didn't even correct his vocabulary.

Viorel Valle

The father sucked in a quick breath and held it as he watched Archer plunge his head back down into the cold water. It felt like forever that he was down under there, and Viorel could feel his heart beating in his ears with anticipation. He knew that if his son failed again they might only have one more try left before he completely gave up on fishing for good. It was such a great pastime back at the sea, he didn’t want his son to hate it after a few bad experiences.

Then he came back up, a small silver fish clamped in his soaking wet jaws. Literally leaping for joy, Viorel splashed his way back to shore at his son’s side, hollering in excitement about his accomplishment. Listening to his son’s celebration he felt his chest swell with pride, ”You sure did! And what a good catch you made!” It was a small fish, but it really was not bad for his first time catching anything successfully.

Looking at the small portion at Archer’s paws, he shook his head with a cheeky grin, ”I have an even better idea. Why don’t we go find Eros and show him what you did, and you two can share it?” Maybe it would make the other pup jealous, but there was nothing wrong with a little bit of healthy competition was there?

FADE