392 Users Online
Jethro, Bing, Adelard, Google, Apollo, Matos, Juniper, Nadine

the air is thickening — Willow Ridge 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Vami who has 66 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Nineve Archer
For @Hagar, maybe @Niamh later.

It had seemed like a lifetime ago that Eve had witnesses these things: newborn pups, mother's milk, the grunts and little mewing from the den. She had not since she had been so small, settled happily between her two brothers at the side of her mother.

Now, it was not her mother within the birthing den. It was not a place where her brothers and herself might be wanted, to see their new siblings at their mother's belly as they had once been. It was another. One that had not been around for all that long. One that had not shared (and suffered) all of which they had. Now, mother seemed sad and distant (though never spoke ill of anyone) and Iseldir? Issy was distant. He was missing and all that while their father fussed over his new lover and new pup.

Eve tried not to be bitter. Not to be hateful. After all, their little 'birds and bees' chat allowed Nineve to know that sometimes pairing did not mean being mates. Sometimes, children came because it was an Alphas right to have them and for the good of the pack. If mother had not loved father... Eve could hardly blame him when he found someone who loved him back, now could she?

The chocolate girl, so mixed in her emotions, nearly was scowling as she looked towards the dark den opening from afar, both wanting to see and equally feeling like she had to ask, because, well, Niamh wasn't family and, well, Eve just couldn't run up on her like she could have mother! She takes a deep breath and snorts with frustration.
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 241 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Hagar
Hagar was tired. The water had so far stayed, and yet he felt just as run-down as the previous summer. There was much joy in his life with the newest additions to their family, but it had seemed to come at a cost. Rather than continue as partners, something else was now pulling Avella away, and not only her. Iseldir's absence took him outside of the pack far more frequently than he otherwise would have wished, searching for any kind of sign of where the now-yearling might be. Had something harmed him? Or had Hagar's choices pushed him out? How could he stop it from happening to his other children too? Pack had once been his answer, but that had disintegrated once more around them before they could even call themselves reformed.

On top of it all, the tumors in his chest were growing, pressing against his heart and lungs, impacting their ability to keep his body oxygenated little by little. Adding up, just like the stressors in his life.

His eyes were unfocused, mind drifting away from his fatigued body, as he returned home. It took a bit longer than it should have to notice his daughter, hovering somewhere between himself and the den that housed her infant sister. Hagar perked, moving to greet her with a fond nuzzling of his chin against her crown. Thankful for her time.
[Image: 2zvAVMd.png]
Inactive No Rank
Nineve Archer
Her father didn't look at all well. Tired was an understatement, as she turned to look at him as he came walking into the direction of herself and the den-site. It took a minute for him to notice her but Nineve did not think it was because he was so focused on just his newest pup. He looked exhausted and obviously a bit out of it. Once before it had been Ra who had looked so rough, now her father instead. Eve frowned deeply even as he came to her and nuzzled affectionately at her crown.

There had been so many things Nineve wanted to say, but in that moment she found herself lost for words. She turns her attention back to the den, her nose crinkling. She had been ready to throw a wirlwind of emotions at her father and yet upon seeing the wear in his eyes, the fire had simmered out before it could really even call itself a flame.

Instead, she sighs and lifts herself up off the ground from her sit, turning and stepping as though ready to leave. "You should really get some rest dad. You look like shit."
(This post was last modified: Jun 16, 2023, 08:41 PM by Nineve.)
Inactive Deceased
Hagar
As Nineve looked away, Hagar's pale eyes studied her features fondly. Observant of each shifting line and assuming of none. Then she surprised him, ready to go so soon, and- 'You look like shit.'

The wolf blinked back at his daughter, caught off guard but only briefly. Had she gotten that from Clouse, perhaps even Ra or that runtling neighbor boy? Regardless, he couldn't help but laugh. Ever honest, wasn't she?

"Hmm. I guess you're right."

Hagar strode forward, and purposefully moved to flop his weight upon Nineve, playfully pinning her if she wasn't quick enough. She could make a comfy pillow for him to get his best sleep, yeah?
(This post was last modified: Jun 27, 2023, 07:05 PM by Chan.)
Inactive No Rank
Nineve Archer
He didn't scold her. In fact, he laughs. The sound of it causes her tail to wag and her own lips turning up into a cheesy smile. It seemed he could not deny the obvious.

It seemed, even in his worn state, he was still swift enough to catch Eve off guard, probably because she wasn't expecting it, same as he had not from her comment. She laughs as she falls on her side, limbs scrambling to shove (though half-heartedly) into her father to try to get him off of her. "Daaaaaaddd...!" She quickly gave up with a huff, pretending to pout and yet happy to be close with her father again.

Then, snorting, she turns her sky eyes to the den opening. "So when am I allowed to see my new sister? Do I have to wait like the commoners?" She would grumble, crinkling her nose. "You know I could hunt and guard the den too..." He looked like he needed the help. Eve was still learning to be a good hunter, but surely she could watch out for danger. The struggle always seemed to be real with this family. Eve and Daegal were still young, Ra was blind, Niamh now bed ridden and now Hagar was being pushed to the breaking point. Would it ever end?

Then, with an honesty... "Dad, I think we should leave..."
Inactive Deceased
Hagar
Hagar was pleased with her amusement, taking it as a sign that whatever was on her mind wasn't as grave as whatever was plaguing her mother's. If only he could ask the children for their thoughts on Avella's shift in demeanor, but even if it was certain that any of them knew, he would never want to put them in such a position. Whatever miscommunications existed between their parents should affect them as little as possible. But who else knew her well enough? Her best friend had been... him, he supposed.

'So when am I allowed to see my new sister?'

His ears turned to better catch her words, hinting at what was wrong. It hadn't occurred to him that they might be waiting for invitation, he just hadn't wanted them to feel forced. Wanted them to feel that even if they did follow their mother in wanting to be separate from this family of his Niamh's, he would still love and treat them just the same.

'Do I have to wait like the commoners?'

He chuckled, tail thumping against the ground as it wagged, even while he rolled off Nineve's spidery limbs and onto his other side to properly face her.

"What commoners?" he asked, smile turning wry. Of course, he'd gotten familiar with how the Archers perceived themselves, of the proud legacy their mother had passed unto them. Still, even Hagar could tease. He would tell her next that she was always welcomed around @Deirdre, but- she spoke again, words he wasn't quite sure he understood. More somberly than his previous query, he asked,

"Leave where?"
(This post was last modified: Jul 05, 2023, 12:11 AM by Hagar.)
Inactive No Rank
Nineve Archer
There is laughter from him, a wiry smile as he goes to slump onto his side and off of her. What commoners? Eve rolls her sky blue eyes playfully. However, he still had not exactly answered her question.

The den settled in the background- silently. Likely so then that Naimh and her new sibling were deep in slumber. Eve had no intention of waking them up now, but she didn't want it to be a full month before she even knew what her sister looked like. Happy enough at least, their dad had come to them and told them how many pups, gender and her name. At least she wasn't in the dark about that. Having never had a one-on-one conversation with Niamh, it had not yet dawned on her if the 'new lover' would be reluctant to have her near.

Then, she found herself shifting her front paws over one another, hesitating as she tried to find a way best to explain. "I just... I feel like this land is cursed or something sometimes." She shrugged. "There was a drought. Last winter sucked... everyone keeps disapearing. I just don't want to go through that again this year. I know mom loves this place and I know it has alot of meaning but, those Archers are gone. I feel like we have been trying to revive something and it's just never going to be whatever it once was. I think we should go somewhere else. Start fresh, make something new of our own."

Her eyes shifted, looking to her father from the side of her gaze. She wondered if he would be mad at her or plain out disappointed. "I know Clouse had been with some wolves west, around those mountains..." She pondered, having went out that way once with Ra and then having met Claw there. She hadn't gone further then the Lagoon but, there was others, some of which were family. They wouldn't have to struggle. Her dad wouldnt have to kill himself trying to keep up on his own.
(This post was last modified: Jul 07, 2023, 02:07 PM by Nineve.)
Inactive Deceased
Hagar
Cursed. There had been whisperings of such things in his first home, but his parents had never put much stock in things they themselves could not witness and reliably replicate. Thus, neither had Hagar, but he'd always been open. After leaving his natal pack, his world had expanded rapidly and continued to. Ra had murmured fantastical words as well, unwittingly priming him for Niamh's entrance into his life. His wife believed these things, Avella's cousin believed them- but would she herself?

Hagar couldn't help but want for her opinion, to give it a hefty weight equal to his own impressions. He was becoming drawn to a more mystical view of the world, but she was his alpha, no matter how high his own position rose in their pseudo pack. If she thought differently, he would be torn. Especially now hearing his daughter's thoughts.

"... have you talked with your mother about this?"

Maybe Nineve already had that piece of the puzzle for him, but he had a feeling this was her first time confessing these feelings to either parent.
(This post was last modified: Aug 01, 2023, 07:39 PM by Clouse.)
Inactive No Rank
Nineve Archer
Her ears fell along with her eyes, cast upon her front toes which wriggled in the dirt. "No..." She admitted with a bit of defeat. Yet, maybe Avella would at least hear them out. This had always been home to Avella and she wanted to come back to it, for her children to love and cherish it the way countless others which called themselves Archers and members of Willow Ridge had. Eve, she just never had the chance to see this wonderful vision which her mother held so dear in her mind..

"Maybe we can, together?" But it was never to be so.
Inactive Deceased
Hagar
No, his daughter confirmed. Hagar nodded once in acknowledgement, thoughts churning behind his mossy eyes. This would need to be resolved swiftly, now, if he had his way. He wouldn't, but of course the wolf could not know this. In the moment he was confident it wouldn't take long to track down Nineve's mother. Even if Avella needed time to think matters over, at least that clock would begin ticking sooner rather than later. Like when Eve could no longer wait at all.

"Let's find her now," he proposed, a step being taken in anticipation of her agreeing. Hagar was not one to procrastinate.