(See All?) Announcements
683 Users Online
Bing, Hazelnut, Google, Alarick

Oops! — Cedarwood Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Shadow who has 123 posts.
No Rank
Raigo Akreon
<i>R</i>aigo kind of did not believe Vlar's words when she said that he was doing beautifully, but he appreciated her encouragement, nonetheless. He could not believe how tired he had become from just that short little walk! He closed his eyes for a moment as she licked him and his tail thumped the ground a few times. However, he knew that they could not stay here like this, so, mustering his courage and strength, he stood back up after about a minute or two.

M<i>o</i>ving his paws carefully so that they were back where they were supposed to be, he gave a small nod to Vlar, signaling that he was ready to move on out. "I'm tired, but I'm doing okay," he replied, determined that he would do this. "You don't need to carry me." Of course, if she insisted, he could do little to stop her, but he felt like this was something that he needed to do. After all, he was the one that had fallen into the river in the first place, so this was his mess to clean up, although he did not think he would have made it even this far without Vlar's encouragement.
test italics
Played by Katsuma who has 456 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara
She kept the encouragement up the entire time they walked, and every time he had to stop and rest, she was right there with him, helping clean his face from the gunk that built up. Generally, she just stayed as close as she could get to him, keeping him as warm as possible. The female kept moving a few feet ahead of him to check the path before they got started, but immediately returned to his side and remained a constant, steady presence at whatever pace he chose to set.

Vlarindara had started to get worried as the sky began to darken and they still weren't back yet. However, she took heart when her eyes recognized the area around them - almost home! She felt a new energy fill her as they got closer and closer, and finally when they cleared the last standing of trees, the wolf bounded ahead. The first thing she did was dart into the den to ensure it was clear and safe, and then returned to Raigo. "No one has been here since we left.. come.. let's get you inside." She knew she had to feed him soon, but her first priority was getting him into the MUCH warmer den.

She moved with him towards the small half circle that was their home before glancing at the small pool of water on one side of the clearing. "But first.. here.. try some water to see if it soothes your throat. Don't drink it too fast, but take sips and let it warm in your mouth before you swallow it." Something her mother had taught her once.. in her first winter. Wolves tended to get something her mother had called Colic, if they drank near frozen water too fast.
user posted image
No Rank
Raigo Akreon
<i>S</i>tumbling along beside Vlarindara was utterly exhausting. Raigo did not think he could remember a time in his life when he had been so completely and totally tired. Well, maybe that first time that Vlar had found him, when he had been alone, lost and terrified, wandering around in the blizzard and not knowing which way was which or if he was just walking around in circles. He nodded resolutely, decided that that had been the worst day of his life, by far. At least, now, he had Vlarindara with him!

A<i>s</i> the landscape began to change, Raigo had an odd feeling that it was familiar. Was it--No, it could not be. But it was! This was their den! He let out a short, joyful bark and smiled over at Vlarindara. "Vlar, we made it," he said, his smile looking as though he was about to fall asleep at any second. However, at Vlar's insistence, he slowly made his way over to the small pool of water and gently lowered his head to drink.

He <i>a</i>llowed the water to warm up in his mouth, just like she said to, and then swallowed, repeating this several times. When his thirst finally abated, he turned around and made his way back to the den, where he carefully lowered his body as close to the ground as he could get it before more or less simply sliding into the den, not trusting his legs to carry him down the slope.

His <i>p</i>ride at having gotten down into the den without Vlar having to help him was only slightly bruised by the brand new coating of dirt and a little mud that stuck to his belly. Vlarindara had gotten him here and that was all that mattered, right now.
test italics
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara
She watched him intently as he drank, then once he got settled into the den, she followed, making sure he was comfortable. "Will you be allright while I go get you something to eat?" She knew that he would need SOMETHING to eat while she went for her next objective, but she wasn't sure if he could eat it. The she wolf lowered her head, thankful that the innermost part was big enough to allow her to stand as she nuzzled his neck and face. "You'll be alright. You're stronger than you think, since you were able to get here all on your own."

She settled back on her haunches next to him as she waited for his answer, her mind working over the things she might be able to catch relatively easily. Rabbits were plentiful.. but often hard to catch.. The mice weren't enough, and squirrels outwitted her. She may be able to find him a fawn - that would do...if she was lucky enough. Most likely, she would be bringing him back a rabbit - she could catch the wiry buggers easily enough.. sometimes.

Vlarindara knew that she had to get help - that she couldn't stay here and watch him *AND* hunt for him as much as he needed. She knew he was sick, if his wheezing breaths were anything to go by, let alone the discharge from his nose and eyes. The smell of his normal scent was off to.. it.. smelled slightly sour beneath the hints of fur and musk that comprised the small wolf. She knew only enough about herbs to know which ones NOT to eat if she was touched enough to WANT to eat plants... But aside from there, she couldn't tell the difference between one that would help him, or kill him. She hoped that Borden may know something of herbs.. or one of his pack would.
user posted image
No Rank
Raigo Akreon
<i>N</i>ow he could start to relax. They were back in their den, where it was warm and Vlar knew the hunting grounds. Raigo was starting to think that they would finally be alright. When asked if he would be okay for a while while she went to get food, Raigo nodded wearily. "I'll be alright," he replied, fighting back a yawn.

A <i>w</i>arm happiness spread through his body when Vlar insisted that he was stronger than he thought and a smile slid across his muzzle. "I couldn't of done it without you, Vlar," he said, nuzzling against her leg.

He <i>a</i>lmost asked her to stay there with him until he managed to get to sleep, but he knew that food was important, so he remained silent. Once she had left the den to go and hunt, the pup did his best to fall asleep. However, his nap was interrupted by a horrible feeling deep in his gut. His brown eyes widened and he managed to pull himself to his feet and scramble up the slight embankment. Once outside, he lurched to the side, ducked his head to the ground and vomited.

An a<i>p</i>parently horrible thing like that which had never happened to the pup before caused him to slide back into the den as quickly as possible. Upon Vlar's return from her hunting trip, she would find him curled up into a little ball, big, scared brown eyes fixed upon the entrance of the den, waiting for her appearance. "I threw up," he said quietly, afraid that it might happen again.
test italics
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara
She had disappeared the moment he said he'd be allright, her long legs carrying her through the small clearing and out into the forested area around them. She moved through the trees silent as a shadow, placing her paws very deliberately as she moved. Raigo wouldn't need much for a meal... but she had to get him *SOMETHING*. The hunt was short, thankfully, she'd managed to corner a squirrel as it ran up the tree, snapping her jaws closed around his tail. After ensuring *THAT* meal wouldn't be running away, she trotted back towards their den, but stopped when she noticed more tracks. Settling the squirrel on an upraised tree root, she followed the tracks, her nose to the ground.

They smelled of rabbit - she *DID* love Rabbits.. they gave her something of a challenge to hunt.. not alot of meat on them.. but a hunt nonetheless. She followed the meandering tracks until she saw the white animal paused in the snow, frozen as they tended to do when facing a predator. She knew the thing wouldn't move until she was nearly on top of it - as it continued to hope she hadn't seen it. Vlarindara decided to get a running start and charged ahead, the rabbit taking off in long strides. Unfortunately for it, the deep snow hindered its progress more than that of the long legged wolf. The chase ended after a short sprint, the she-wolf returning to the squirrel with the hare in her jaws, and after picking both up, she returned to the den.

It was the smell of bile caught her nose first and she carried the two creatures into the den with her before setting them down in the first corner she came to. The sight of the pup curled into a ball of fright tore at her heartstrings and she went over to him, her head lowering to lick him reassuringly. "That's not uncommon..for a wolf who's sick..I couldn't stop vomiting for a few days after the infection set in..." She got up and moved to the two carcasses, bringing the squirrel over to him and nosing it close. "Here...I'll leave this over here so you can reach if when you can eat something."

She couldn't wait any longer - the longer he was unable to even keep water down, the more dire his chances, but she wasn't going to scare him. "There's an herb... that will help settle you stomach." Damned if she knew what it *WAS*..."I'm going to go out and see if I can find it..." The she wolf lowered her nose and nuzzled as comfortingly as she could against his neck and face. "Try to drink small sips of water if you can before trying to eat.. okay? If you can drink the water and don't have to run back outside, then try a bit of food. Don't eat too much.. only a sip or two, a mouthful or two. If you overdo it, your stomach will just reject it." Another bit of wisdom from her mother - thank god it was coming in handy.
user posted image
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara
She had disappeared the moment he said he'd be allright, her long legs carrying her through the small clearing and out into the forested area around them. She moved through the trees silent as a shadow, placing her paws very deliberately as she moved. Raigo wouldn't need much for a meal... but she had to get him *SOMETHING*. The hunt was short, thankfully, she'd managed to corner a squirrel as it ran up the tree, snapping her jaws closed around his tail. After ensuring *THAT* meal wouldn't be running away, she trotted back towards their den, but stopped when she noticed more tracks. Settling the squirrel on an upraised tree root, she followed the tracks, her nose to the ground.

They smelled of rabbit - she *DID* love Rabbits.. they gave her something of a challenge to hunt.. not alot of meat on them.. but a hunt nonetheless. She followed the meandering tracks until she saw the white animal paused in the snow, frozen as they tended to do when facing a predator. She knew the thing wouldn't move until she was nearly on top of it - as it continued to hope she hadn't seen it. Vlarindara decided to get a running start and charged ahead, the rabbit taking off in long strides. Unfortunately for it, the deep snow hindered its progress more than that of the long legged wolf. The chase ended after a short sprint, the she-wolf returning to the squirrel with the hare in her jaws, and after picking both up, she returned to the den.

It was the smell of bile caught her nose first and she carried the two creatures into the den with her before setting them down in the first corner she came to. The sight of the pup curled into a ball of fright tore at her heartstrings and she went over to him, her head lowering to lick him reassuringly. "That's not uncommon..for a wolf who's sick..I couldn't stop vomiting for a few days after the infection set in..." She got up and moved to the two carcasses, bringing the squirrel over to him and nosing it close. "Here...I'll leave this over here so you can reach if when you can eat something."

She couldn't wait any longer - the longer he was unable to even keep water down, the more dire his chances, but she wasn't going to scare him. "There's an herb... that will help settle you stomach." Damned if she knew what it *WAS*..."I'm going to go out and see if I can find it..." The she wolf lowered her nose and nuzzled as comfortingly as she could against his neck and face. "Try to drink small sips of water if you can before trying to eat.. okay? If you can drink the water and don't have to run back outside, then try a bit of food. Don't eat too much.. only a sip or two, a mouthful or two. If you overdo it, your stomach will just reject it." Another bit of wisdom from her mother - thank god it was coming in handy.
user posted image
No Rank
Raigo Akreon
<i>W</i>hining softly, Raigo looked up at Vlarindara when she returned to the den, carrying a squirrel and a rabbit. The smell of them made his empty stomach growl irritably, but he doubted that the meat would stay in his stomach if not even water did. When she nudged the squirrel carcass closer to him, Raigo sniffed it and then licked the animal, savoring the taste.

T<i>o</i> say that he was hungry would be a gross understatement, but he did not even want to think about food again if it was going to cause him to throw up like that again. At Vlarindara's announcement that she was going to look for an herb to help his stomach, a small whine started to escape his muzzle, but he clamped his jaws shut, sealing the sound inside. Instead, he just nodded at her instructions before she turned once again and left the den.

He <i>r</i>ose to his feet, again fairly unsteady, and pulled himself out of the den. He sniffed the air for a moment before turning and heading over to the freshwater pool. He lowered his head and once again allowed the water to warm up inside his mouth before swallowing it. This time, he only swallowed three times before turning back and heading for the den. Once inside, he waited a moment or two to see if his stomach was going to push the water back out. It did not seem like it was going to, so he laid back down and carefully tore the squirrel carcass open. Taking nothing more than a few small nibbles, Raigo curled back into a ball and waited. He <u>WAS</u> going to get better. There was no other option.
test italics
Inactive No Rank
Vlarindara
OOC: Splicing back into Oops! From Race Against Time.

She hadn't expected Borden to follow her, so she was shocked when he not only came after her, but drew close enough to touch with his muzzle. Vlarindara came to a halt after three short hops and stood in the snow, looking puzzled, and confused. A soft whine escaped her maw before she lowered her eyes and her head along with it. She remained submissive a few moments before looking up and frowning at the older wolf before resuming her trek - towards the river bank. "Why do you follow me so...willingly, Borden?" Her tone was soft..softer than it had been until this point. As she walked, her paws were placed very carefuly - despite her growing need to race ahead to the rushing water and search for this herb. "Not...that I mind your company, quite the opposite, but you..." She stopped, her head hanging as she breathed, trying to understand what she was trying to say - to make it come out in coherant words. "Borden..I'm just a lone wolf.. one with neither rank nor pack... One who isn't even *healthy*..not truely." She lifted her head, watching him in silence before continuing on - looking as if she had more to say.

"Wolves of your pack would look down upon you for socializing with a common wolf.. one without a pack has a reason to be without a pack.. be it their choice or something not of their intentions... to be alone truely means to be without resources or help.. to perish among others who thrive." She took a step and it seemed as if she had to force herself to stop moving - to not go to him, but there was a look in her amber orbs...something neither pride, nor fury, not even fear or pain. It was a bastardized mix of emotions, each swirling into the next hardly giving the last a chance to manifest before being pushed away again. When they finally settled.. they settled on doubt and fear. "You helped me with Raigo.. you came when I called because he was ill... you left your pack temporarily to help a loner.. what..does that mean for me... for us? For your ranking within the pack?" It seemed she was asking something other than she seemed to be asking - not simply their welbeing, but...not of her and Raigo either. "I've..never quite been a poet.. nor have I ever been able to speak my mind without completely confusing myself and others..but.."

She broke her straining hold on herself and took those last shivering steps forward to stop a few inches from him.. mere inches that she could close just by leaning into him. "I can't.. understand why you act the way you do.. if it is simply who you are.. which seems to be the case, or if you feel something more than simple kindness. Not just for Raigo.. but for myself as well." Vlarindara closed her eyes with a sigh and forcefully pulled away from him, shaking herself before starting back towards the river. Had she been able to flush - she would have been bright red. "Perhaps it's too much to hope that you feel the same for me that I do about you. My apologies, Borden.. for interrupting you.." She took off at a run, covering the distance to the river with speed that long, skinny limbs allowed her. She made it to the riverbank and slid to a stop.. but she didn't stop. The female yelped as she splashed into the icy water, closing her jaws around a nearby tree root to keep from washing away. She got her footing relatively quick and managed to start dragging herself back up the bank...Wait a minute.. this root tasted familiar.

Her eyes widened as she recognized the root and braced herself on the bank to tear it from its moorings in the wet dirt. A short bark of triumph as she dislodged the plant and tossed it above her head to th stronger land near the river. The large female growled as she then pulled herself from the raging waters, slipping and sliding on the rocks and moss beneath her feet - not to mention the ice. She was making progress, however, and managed to climb onto the bank her breath panting heavily in the frozen air. Vlarindara let herself lie on her side a few moments to catch her breath, so she could take the root and run back to Raigo. A shiver had started in the white wolfs shoulders and back, but she closed her eyes - fighting it off. Now was not the time to lay around shaking! A growl of determination brought her back to her feet and she shook herself, sending water dropplets and small ice shards everywhere. While she'd been eating more - she was still woefully skinny, and it showed in the matting of her soaked fur. Her head lifted, looking around for Borden, or any other wolves before she bounded back towards where she'd left him.

"I found it!" The root of the herb was dangling in her teeth, so it slurred her words, just slightly. She seemed in high spirits, her plumed tail waving like a flag, her ears and eyes forward. She was still uncertain... unsure of herself... but she had the herb.. the root Raigo needed! Everything else could be dealt with as it was required.
user posted image
Played by Grey who has 512 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote>Silently, Borden looked at her, his golden eyes searching hers as they always did, trying to understand what she was thinking, how she was feeling. Her question, though soft and quietly asked, stung at his chest. Because I care for you… his conscience easily answered as he walked alongside her. And for Raigo, too… Then, she stopped. A lump formed in his throat, making it hard for him to swallow. His head tilted and he gave her a saddened expression. She didn’t understand… She-- The thoughts forming in his mind were cut off as she continued; both of his ears folded back slightly as he listened.

Perish. The word made his eyebrows raise, wrinkling his forehead in worry. The thought, alone, of Vlarindara dying made his chest hurt; he didn’t even want to think of it. Ever. On and on she went about her being “common” and a “loner,” without a pack, and he summoned every once of energy he had to keep from shaking his head, wanting to tell her that she was just as good as any of them – the Midnight Plateau wolves. That regardless of whatever affiliation she was tied to, he would have helped her no matter what the situation was.

As she drew near, he opened his mouth to hush her but she continued. Though she had stopped merely inches from him, he still held his breath, waiting for her to make contact. The moment never came and she finished her sentence. I can’t… understand why you act the way you do… if it is simply who you are… which seems to be the case, or if you feel something more than simple kindness. Not just for Raigo… but for myself as well. She had him cornered; there was no point in denying her the truth now. As she withdrew from him, he made to speak, but again she filled the silence between them.

Running from him after apologizing, he exhaled, watching her as she ran into the river. Borden instantly made to dart after her, but she had quickly returned with a muddy root clasped between her jaws. She had been swift and it shocked him when he fully took in her drenched figure as she addressed him. Her willowy frame had him worrying about the cold. I found it! she cheered. His tail started to wag; her spirit enlivened him, his soul brimming over with relief and joy.

Knowing he probably wouldn’t have another chance to say what he felt, he stepped forward and draped his muzzle over the cold fur on her neck. The sensation of being this close to her again no longer sparked uncertainty, but a sort of zeal he had never felt before. It warmed him from his nose all the way to his waving tail. ”Vlar, I…” he began, closing his eyes as though it helped him visualize exactly what he wanted to tell her. ”I-I… You…” This just wasn’t working… He bit his lip and took a step back. The butterflies flapping in his chest forced him to take a deep breath before gazing to her. His ears folded back apprehensively and his tail slowly settled behind him. A whine escaped from his throat.

Say it… his conscience urged him on. ”Vlarindara,” he started again. ”It isn’t too much to hope; l-let… let me tell you now that… since I met you in the Thicket… you’ve never left my mind. I want the best for you; I want Raigo to grow up strong, to have a better life. I want you both to thrive. Is that so much to hope for? His eyes settled on the ground as he continued, ”I didn’t know why I acted the way I did or why I’ve done what I have thus far, but I think I know now and I don’t know if I can keep this a secret any longer.” A pause filled the air and he cautiously lifted his gaze to her. ”Vlar… I love you. I don’t care what the pack thinks of me reaching out to you, I don’t care about my ranking, Alexander has Weldering and Jayseyek and Adonia and Atiris... He could find a way to cope without me if it came to my exile. I’ve been in that place before and living the life of a lone wolf is nothing new to me. If they won’t stand for my good intentions of helping you and Raigo, so be it. It will be their loss.” If his eyes could well up with tears, the dark triangles on his face would have been stained by now; the dam holding his emotions in had broken and everything just spilled out in desperation. He wanted nothing more than to have her hear him out. ”I’d rather be kicked out of a pack to stay with you… Being on that Mountain, day after day, without you near has been nothing but hell.” As he finished, he felt the silence between them grow. All his cards were on the table now and he hoped everything had come out as he intended them to. She could share his feelings or crush him with disbelief, either way, he just wanted her to understand. </blockquote>
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »