764 Users Online
Google, Bing

Saturday Morning — Hush Meadow 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Becca who has 65 posts.
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Bérengère Dunn
SURPRISE THREAD!

Beren had left his home in Black Thorns Down. He was on a mission for two things. Number one, he was on the search for this Willow Ridge back Angier Lyall spoke of. Number two, the dark yearling was looking for his close friend @Rook (also known as Bird).

Trotting along his way into unknown territory he thought he smelled the pack scent that Rook had carried. Awkwardly enough Beren had kept track of all the small things about Rook in the back of his mind. His scent, smile, laugh, but the thing he remembered the most was that lively gleam in Rook's bi-colored eyes. Beren's tail had started wagging at a high speed just thinking about his missing friend Rook.

Coming to a slower speed until his paws fell into a walk the dark male kept his nose down. Looking for Rook's scent to be found. He wasn't even sure if Rook was still in the lands of Relic Lore. For all he knew his age-mate friend could be doing his own wandering. Or even worse, Rook was out looking for Beren on the other side of these lands while Beren was looking for him on these sides of the land. A soft whimper escaped from his chest at his thoughts. Maybe it would just be good to think about the positives between him and Rook. All the fun they could have together. Exploring, hunting, scuffles, anything! All Beren wanted right now was to see and be with Rook again.

So What Do I Do When Every Day
Still Seems To Start And End With You

Played by Grey who has 444 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
Super surprised! 8D No wonder Rook's muse has been at my back all day...

He had counted the days since he had seen the young lady in the willows, counted the stars each night before they went out, counted the number of mornings he remained beside either Namid or Bishop and he felt empty and hollow inside. Then, when it seemed that he had finally had enough of the now chilly autumn sunrises, he set off on his own and left the Caverns much earlier than usual. Out towards the borders he marked as he went, leaving his own signature scent on the trees to ward off prying strangers who dared to step foot on Lady Narimé's lands, for he, too, was one among many who kept guard over this part of the Lore. He was one of many who kept watch over the sanctuary that kept the pack's singular cub safe.

Up in the trees, a boobook rustled around in its treetop perch, but Rook paid no mind to it. There was a pressure in his chest, a sort of invisible force that had a chokehold on his heart if he didn't keep moving. Restless limbs carried him to the south, his breathing haggard as he willed himself to keep moving, anything to keep picking up his feet and 'exercise' the anxiety that was building up in his ribcage like a balloon. As soon as he found the open air above him, he let out a long sigh, breathing as though he had been holding his breath since he had left the pack lands behind. Coming to a stop at the edges of the Meadow, he took a moment to collect himself before advancing into the vast stretch of yellowing grasses.

He had been caught up in his own thoughts when a musky scent ensnared his attention. He was not alone. Immediately his came up and he scanned the lands for the lone male who currently shared the quiet patch of tall grass and wilted flowers. Bumbling over the gently sloping grounds, the yearling squinted until he picked out a dark-furred creature in the distance. His heart could have flown or fallen if it had been suspended in his chest by the loosening heartstrings that were currently keeping it afloat. Quickly, he swept his nose over the tips of the grass blades, attempting, at first, to decipher whether or not his companion harbored the familiar scent of Whisper Caverns. When neither damp stone or musty cave scent reached his senses, a hopeful smile began to climb up on along his ivory muzzle.

The other youth's cologne was one that he had sampled before. If this was not his friend Bear, then he was going to have to prepare himself for some sort of recovery consisting of a hasty apology, an embarrassing admission, and an excuse to evacuate the area in a rather awkward fashion. Either way, Rook was already starting across the grass with his tail up in a waving gesture of newfound delight. For one reason or another, though, Rook stopped halfway in his tracks, curious now as to what the other was attentively searching for in the mead.

In a humor-seeking, theatrical manner, he called out to the other, an inquisitive expression tugging at his brow, "O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms, alone and palely loitering?"

Chances are I have a BEN WHISHAW gif for that.
Inactive IV. Subordinate
Bérengère Dunn

"O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms, alone and palely loitering?"

Oh yes, this was certainly @Rook Lyall. Bird. His friend. Chuckling softly he played along. "I wandered and found myself alone in the cold meadows." Pausing lightly his tail slowly started to wag. "That's why I sojourn here, alone and palely loitering." Stealing a gleeful glance at Rook's eyes Beren moved forward to close the space between the two yearling males. "That was until you found me." His voice was full of what one might pick up as thankful. Rook was here, he was safe, and most of all Rook was happy. Beren couldn't ask for anything more.

"I've missed you Bird!" Offering a nose to the Lyall's shoulder Beren took in his scent. The same scent that laced his pelt the last time they met. For the exception that his scent might have been more earthy this time around. "Have you been taking adventures without me?" Chuckling softly he took a seat in front of his friends. "Or! Or! Do you live a double life? A playful friend at day but a dangerous spy by night." He started laughing so hard he almost fell on his side. Barking at Rook lightly Beren let his own toothy grin sit on his dark face.

Catching his breath from all the laughing he had done he decided to settle more seriously. "Seriously though, what have you been up to Bird?"

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

The male acknowledged him and almost - almost - immediately Rook knew that he had found the one he had been looking for. Bear. A face-splitting grin lit up his face as Beren replied to him in kind. So he had the knack for romantic balladry, too... It delighted him to his very core, made every bit of him feather-light and lit with the warmth of an afternoon of summer sunshine. Without delay, Rook soon found himself pressed up again Beren, even if only momentarily - a friendly sort of hug, one might say. A friendly nudge to the shoulder and the young Lyall could have cried; he had truly believed that he might not ever had the chance to see him again. There was just something about him, something that was just enough to temporarily soothe him and cast away his cares. Yet, as the darker yearling continued to playfully question him, to pry from him the latest of his ventures, Rook bent down into a play bow with his curved tail gently wagging.

"Double life?" he echoed, chuckling now. "You're mad." His rump wiggled a bit before he flattened himself on the ground, looking up to his companion, still all smiles. "I haven't been up to much," he revealed, his tail growing still as the topic of conversation moved onto a more serious and calmer sort of matter. "I've been looking for you, though." His jaw tensed, unsure of just how his remark would be received. "I was wondering..." cautious measures seemed to be getting the best of him now as his words came out slower, his tone a little more wary than before. "I... don't know how else to say it, but..."

In a rather expectant manner, his mismatched eyes softened and he made a face, "I need your help."

Inactive IV. Subordinate
Bérengère Dunn
Touchy Beren is touchy @Rook

"I'm only mad for you." Looking at Rook his skin heated up a bit underneath his fur before his eyes quickly darted away. "Stupid! He's gonna think you truly are mad!"

Listening to Rook get rather serious Beren grew concerned. It seemed that everything wasn't okay. His hear started racing quicker and quicker with each moment for the concern of what was going on. "I... don't know how else to say it, but..." On with it! He couldn't stand waiting for what was about to be said. And it was rather obvious by the worried look on his face. "I need your help."

That was easy. Almost too easy. What type of help? What message was lying underneath his call for help? Removing himself from his sitting position he moved next to Rook. The dark colored yearling place his head on his tawny friend's neck. "I'll always be here to offer my help." He whispered it softly so his words would only find a home in Rook's ears. "What is it you need my help with?" Pulling his head off of the other's neck he offered a nose to the Lyall's cheek. Beren was curious what it was that seemed to bring Rook down in mood and that required Beren's help. Certainly it muse be an important matter. It must especially be an important matter if such a formal lad like Rook was asking for help.

Something in his gut was stirring. Telling him to offer the physical comfort he had given earlier. But his mind was telling him not to. It was like he was embarrassed to show that affection or comfort. Especially towards a male. Perhaps this was just his romantic personality getting to him. Or it was his heart taking pity on Rook's sudden mood. Either way this would certainly all pass...

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

The statement about madness, the kind that suggested one's fondness and endearment, was not lost on the Lyall's ears. Rook's smile might have ebbed away, but it returned after assuring himself that he had actually heard such a thing. It really was as if they had met several times before; having had the chance to meet Beren twice had him believing that Beren was meant to be with him, offer his companionship, his help... In realizing such a thing, though, had turned the tables on the youth's standing beliefs. Reverend Kiche had never mentioned if there was another life after this one. Not even once. But, to have this feeling of familiarity with Bear run so deep was something else. Maybe the Lord's teachings in that aspect were wrong. Why else would Rook have readily trusted Bérengère Dunn? That, alone, should have said something.

As Beren came to settle beside him, Rook remained as he was, no matter how much he wanted push himself up to properly sit on his haunches. Then, there it came, the declaration of his aid. It was much too easy; but, nothing, in Rook's eyes saw anything out of place. This couldn't have been the work of a devil. Not with how Beren had reacted and reached out to him without question.

A smile tried to lift the corners of his mouth and for a while, the trace of a grin managed to stay before falling completely away. "I'm looking for something," he explained. "A plant, maybe, but anything - a mineral, a stone, something... - to help with memory." He angled his head so that he could side-glance at Beren as he remained, no longer touching his nose to Rook's cheek. Oh, how he hoped he would do that again... just to see if the spark he had felt was something he had not imagined.

He blinked quickly a couple of times as he shyly averted his gaze, painfully aware of how he might have gaping and ogling at him. Just to make himself clear, he added in a mere whisper, "My father is sick; he's the reason I've come here. But --" He stalled as the autumn-touched treetops gave a subtle rustle, "I don't know how much time I have. The plants are all dying now and I'm running out of ideas."

Inactive IV. Subordinate
Bérengère Dunn

Then everything was said. His father, sickness, and loosing time. It was enough to make Beren's heart drop and a whine escape his jaws. "I'm so sorry Bird.." Trying to think of how he could help it came to him. "While I'm not a healer I can go out and look for someone who can help you. Help us find something to help your father.

"I'm sure there is a healer out there that can help. Do you know of any healers?" Beren's shoulder brushed against @Rook's shoulder. Their fur intermingling with each other's fur. "Is there a healer in your pack?" The dark male wondered what might become of him offering help. Would he start running errands for Rook, not that he really cared about doing that. Or maybe it meant that the two of them could have more time together. Running adventures together looking for that one special herb that would help his father.

Sighing softly he looked at their paws. "Where is your father? Maybe he has a healer with him right now who is helping him." He was trying to make things steer more positive than where they were at now. Maybe it would make the future seem bright for Rook.

Rising to a standing stance next to Rook he took in a deep breath of the crisp air. "Do you want to go for a walk and talk about this? It might help us to think." Offering a small nervous smile to Rook, Beren was dying for Rook to say yes to his offer.

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

"I'm so sorry Bird.." Just. Like. That. It was as though the flood gates had opened yet again, but this time it was much worse than when he had first told Namid, worse than when he had broken down while discussing with Bishop what he was going to do to stop all of it - the fits of confusion, hysteria, the forgetfulness, and every single instance in which someone - his mother, his sisters, namely - had cried on Borden's expense. His nostrils felt like their were burning. It was just too bad that Beren had not been older, much more practiced in a craft or lifeskill like herbalism or religion-defying alchemy. He was already at the brink of considering alternative medicine now that the last days of summer had passed him by. Beren continued to assure him, to comfort him with both simple sentiments and the questions he should have reconsidered.

Did Rook know a healer? Did the pack have a healer? He supposed he did, since Whisper Caverns did have Kassander, but Rook had not yet worked up the courage or found the time to actually, formally, meet the botanist first-hand. What Titan had suggested to him, had been the start of it all, but it seemed now that Rook had wasted his time in making it up to the prince and Narimé for their consideration to house both him and his sister. The corners of his eyes stung with the tears that threatened to well up against his blue and gold irises. Not so clever boy... How could he have been so stupid?

Beren persisted, especially when Rook held still, never saying anything or even moving as much as an inch, "Where is your father? Maybe he has a healer with him right now who is helping him." The masked boy shook his head, his rounded ears falling back. His frustration with himself was starting to take its toll on him, the skepticism of everything - his prayers which were still left unanswered, his faith in God, his trust in the Holy Spirit - encroaching on what remained of his confidence in himself.

When offered to go for a walk, he finally looked up at his darker age-mate, the uncertainty smoothing his face over in an expression of distress. A small, cub-like whimper sounded from him. as he stood up stiffly. "Okay," he quietly agreed. "Let us go then." But, he did not wait for Beren to lead the way and, instead, decided to choose a direction at random, himself. After walking for so long in silence, five or ten minutes or so, it seemed that Rook had recovered himself, but his saddened tone still lingered, "My Aunt Aniu should have known what to do. It was because she didn't have the right plants... the right materials. He isn't in pain apart from his limp, anything that spares him that discomfort sedates him completely, but not even that spares him from confusion. It's like he goes somewhere in his head without telling us and, sometimes, when he comes back, he doesn't know what had just happened."

Inactive IV. Subordinate
Bérengère Dunn

Trailing right next to Rook, Beren kept his eyes locked on the ground. Watching there paws move together like some silent symphony was being made between them. Although his attention was on the ground he still managed to catch what Rook was speaking to him.

"That...that sounds horrible." He truly meant it. One would have to be deaf not to hear the sadness coming off of his voice in waves. He felt for Rook deeply. While nothing like that had happened to the dark yearling, and he prayed it never would, he could feel pain for Rook's issue.

Letting he side brush against Rook in a delicate manner Beren let a soft growl rumble. It wasn't a harsh one. Merely a growl to let Rook know that Beren was here for him. Beren would be his ultimate protection, knight in shinning armor. He would willing be his friend's everything no matter the cost.

Let his ears lean a bit forward he was about to say something that might shake Rook up. "We can always go back to your father for a bit. You know, until he gets better. Find a willing healer and take them with us to him. It was a chance that Beren was willing to take. Leaving the lands of Relic Lore to save a family member of Rook's was a little price to pay compared to loosing Rook's father forever. Of course he wouldn't know how other wolves might react to them leaving for a bit. But these were all what-ifs, for nothing was set in stone.

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Terrible was an understatement, at least according to Rook, but he kept his mouth shut. It was not his companion's fault that his father had come down with such a strange and startling affliction; Beren could only be expected to help shoulder his burden, not accept the blame of something he had not done. Beren's growl was comforting in the sense that it was like the rumbling of thunder before a cleansing storm. A verbal affirmation that the dark yearling cared for him, which was something that Rook had secretly wanted to know for quite some time. The memory of a night spent with Quil, though, made his stomach fill with butterflies; but, one by one, he mentally rid himself of them. As much as he admitted to himself that he had loved every moment stolen with her, he felt the same about Beren, his "bear" of a buddy. Even Namid had taken apart of him, but he was not ready to come out to any of them or even declare what he felt for them for fear of their insecurities and jealousies.

He was selfish. He wanted all three of them to himself and neither Bishop nor her sermon verses could convince him that he was in the wrong. He needed @Namid for her wisdom and heart; he needed @Quil for her trust and understanding; and, Beren, Rook needed him just as much, if only to keep himself moving forward, strung along with the Beren's encouragement and carefree spirit.

Only then did it occur to the Lyall that all he had needed his sister for was for her support. Her guidance, at first, was well-appreciated, but now, it was not her hand that he wanted to hold or, rather, the tail that he wanted to be tugged along by. Not when his new network of support all told him, in their own ways, that he ought to consider the broader picture - to bring Borden to Relic Lore, to go back to Renegades Reach, to question the possibilities of success and the consequences of not finding a cure. No, Bishop, to him now, was nothing but a weight. An anchor which had not only kept him tethered in the midst of the storm but ultimately kept him for exploring other possibilities for his Lore-wide search for a remedy.

"I don't know, Bear," he replied, his eyes seeking Beren's own gaze. "Maybe. But I don't want to have to leave the Caverns to go back and then find that what I had brought doesn't work. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated." A pained smile tugged at his lips and he came to a stop, his tail came up to slightly wag. "Quil from Willow Ridge is helping me in the east, I've already been up north and not too far south from here, but there hasn't been much of a breakthrough with anything else." He heaved an airy sigh, and grazed the side of his muzzle along Beren's shoulder before withdrawing from him, the wordless sentiment at last reciprocated by both parties, "If I forget to say so... Thank you. Thank you for everything."

(This post was last modified: Oct 23, 2014, 05:51 AM by Rook.)