Bing, Google

The Trees — Oak Tree Bend 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
@Triell & @Spieden

- Midday, Freezing fog - 2 ° F/-17 ° C

The woods were even foggier than usual, freezing cold clinging to the descended clouds, biting like tiny teeth at any unprotected creatures, daring to cross through. But protected by dense, dark fur, the Oaken leader didn't mind the cold much. The biggest problem with winter was the shortage of prey, herds migrating and much of the smaller prey going into hibernation; The snow didn't bother him, it was a nice change and made tracking a lot easier than dry leaves and dirt. Today, Drestig wasn't hunting though, after finishing his morning rounds, he was heading back towards the center of the territory, with a very particular goal. Really this had been coming for a while, Triell had been home for long, and with the visits, both to and from their neighboring packs, a conference was surely needed. And yet, the elder male had postponed it for much longer than he should have, dreaded what the outcome might be.

But today would be the day, he couldn't keep it at bay forever, every glimpse of the returned Tainn sending flashes of fear through his body; Sooner or later HE will come to me..! This way, he could prepare, and he would have control if the situation; Control… So prepared he had, brooding for several days, finding out exactly what he wanted to say, and considering the possible outcomes. Now, he was as ready as he could ever be, and it was time to get it over with.

Reaching the center of the territory, the silver-tipped male settled under the old Oak, looking out over the pack lands for a silent moment. Then, taking a deep breath, he tilted back his head, howling an invitation for his fellow leader to join him, as well as the man who use to hold his post; Ready or not…

Word count: 304

Thoughts ”Speech”

Played by Switch who has 960 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
I'll be the bright, and black, that's making you run

Triell did not need to open his eyes to know today was going to be a cold one. The warmth in his hollow log was left with reluctance that morning. Once he began his routine, getting his blood flowing, it was eaiser to press through the sting of the fog and go about the Bend. Times traveling past its boundaries checking that there were no curious predators, or loners straying too close. The snow remained untouched on his path, afternoon he began to circle back.

What he didn't expect was the call for Spieden, and himself. More so that it was Drestig asking for them to join them. Why he had waited for this day, he had feared it wouldn't come this way. Instead he would have to be the one to incite this particular conversation. Unable to wait, and with no need to he made quick progress toward his friend. After all nothing would change that fact. Least he couldn't believe so. Though having talked with Jessie should he fear the worst?

With a huff he tried not to think so. The Tainn had needed time to sort things when he had returned, and he had felt the Avalon needed the same. He only wondered had it been enough? Would things change? More so why request Spieden?

No, it was time to know, it was time talk. They had to know where they stood. It seemed the call would take him to the large oak tree. Triell would walk toward the elder with a raised head, daring to meet his own fiery gaze. While it was not an outright challenge, he felt better coming to sit as an equal in this situation. If things were not clear, he smiled in sincerity ."Good to see you Drestig."

Triell Tainn
[Image: triellpix_by_euphoriclies-d98abbc.png]
are you with me through it all?
[Image: cad_sig_by_becuffin-dax4amr.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a deer that was killed by a lynx nearby. +10 Health
Played by Kydnt who has 244 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Spieden Coho
@Drestig

Spieden was picking at the cold corpse of a lynx-slain doe when the song of her co-leader rang through the air. She lifted her head, maw stuffed with venison as her ears curiously flicked towards the howl. It was rare for anyone to call for her, and strangely though they were a pair of sorts, the two leaders seldom talked. It wasn't just her he was requesting, though, and she had to wonder at what purpose he needed both her and Triell for. A slight tinge of dread pulsed through her sinewy heart, had something happened? The Bend really could not take another loss... But no, it couldn't be that. There was nothing about his summons that had seemed desperate or panicked.

She haphazardly cast a few pawfuls of snow over the carcass to save it for later before beginning her solitary trek back into the territory's core. She would have to come back and tend to the deer more properly after whatever sort of meeting this was was concluded.

When she arrived at the great oak she saw Triell was already there. She hesitated at the edge of the clearing, wondering whether or not things would be awkward. Things seemed alright for now, and so she continued forward. She glanced towards Triell but primarily directed her gaze to Drestig, being the one who called them here. "What's going on?" She asked.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
@Triell @Spieden

His heart beat loudly in his ears as he waited, forcing himself to keep still even as his paws ached to fidget before him. Really, he had made his decision long ago, on what to do once this day came, yet now that the word lay only moments away, he felt a dryness in his mouth and a lump in his throat. Really, this shouldn't be such a big deal; But it is, at least to me..! It was a turning point in his life, he had made it so.

After what felt like a small eternity, a familiar, dark silhouette appeared at the tree line. Drestig breathed in deeply, slowly letting the air back out while his eyes focused on Triell's approach. His stomach churned, and he found himself feeling sad that their meeting was of such a serious nature, in the end he cared for the younger man a great deal, and he would have liked to simply hat as friends. Maybe we can, A faint voice whispered in the back of his head; It doesn't have to be… But he pushed it aside. This was something he needed to do for himself; No more dawdling about! Still, as their eyes met, the older man had to swallow hard. Then Triell greeted him, and Drestig managed a weak smile in response to his; "You too." He said, voice low, and he really meant it. All this beating around the bush, riddled with anxiety had made him forget the most important thing: Triell was his friend, the one man he had managed to respect when he thought himself too good for any pack hierarchy. "Thank you for coming so quickly." The current leader added, more steadily, smile growing a little easier.

It didn't take much longer for Spieden to appear, loosening from the shadows of the forest like Triell had done, crossing towards them. Drestig turned his smile to her, curling his tail over his front paws like a feline and waiting for her to reach the two men, completing their circle of three. Her question wasn't exactly unwarranted, and the elder chap nodded, taking the cue to begin the meeting; "Well, a lot of things have happened lately. I thought it was about time we talked it all over…" He looked between the two of them, cocking a brow lightly; "Most prominently," His attention turned fully to the white breasted Tainn; "You've returned." He stalled, eyes flickering for a moment as he tried to gather up his thoughts; And courage…

Finally, he sighed lightly and met the other man's eyes, deciding to simply get right down to it: "So I guess the question is: do you want your post back?" He allowed a pause, straightening his back as he stared down the larger male. Then he smiled shakily, averting his eyes, a wrinkle forming between them, even as he offered Triell a yielding nod, reaching to touch his nose to the base of the younger lad's yaw, in a sign of honor and affection. "Oak Tree Bend is your pack, Triell, you and your family's. If you want it back I won't stand in your way." He pulled back, giving a warm smile to his, now long time, friend. Then his face fell into more serious folds; Now comes the hard part. The silver dusted man cleared his throat, again looking between the two leaders before him; "But if you do," He breathed in deeply; "I won't be staying." There, it was said. His face remained as stone, gaze shifting between Spieden and Triell. This was the decision he had made, not to pressure the Tainn with an ultimatum, but because he needed to do what was right for him; I only have so much time left…

Feeling the need to explain further, the Avalon allowed the shadow of a fresh smile to sneak onto his face, voice calm, almost serene as he spoke: "I can't go back to being a subordinate – to anyone. I've gotten a taste of what it's truly like to be a leader, and not just my own." Passion sparkled in his fiery eyes, tail waving fervently at his hocks; "I was borne for this, it's a dream I need to realize."

Word count: 708

”Speech” Thoughts

(This post was last modified: Jan 17, 2016, 11:46 AM by Drestig.)

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn

It would be hard to miss they in way he was greeted in turn. Surely, there was sincerity, but there was something more. It seemed a clue of what was to come. The words that fell from the elder's mouth were much too formal to suit him, even if such things steadied his friend's expression.

The Tainn's dark mask eventually smoothed, as he tried to remain indifferent in his thoughts waiting for @Spieden. His ear turned at the sound of her steps. Briefly, he lifted his eyes to her, thinking the same thing. What was going on? What was beneath that faint smile. Triell knew when something was wrong. It reminded him of another night when Drestig had been so worried to speak with him. What was to unfold he could have never quite been prepared for.

Why the gesture was more like Drestig. The tease in the stare, and sign of submission Triell barely seemed to notice. He was waiting for the but. Triell would have been less shocked if his friend would have bitten him straight on the nose telling him to go to hell. So this was the consequences of him leaving to look for Nayeli one last time to make peace with his life.

Suddenly, he was saddened.  He was leaving Triell little choice. He could understand the want for family, future. How his own brothers could not have lived together in submission. It didn't kill the bitterness that left a stale taste in his throat. If Drestig had a mate it would have been a lot easier to understand. In fact Triell would see it as far more logical. He didn't exactly feel the future of the pack was with him as it may have once been. The Tainn had after all had spent most of his life a follower, a guardian than leader. To put it like this, and Spieden to sit by like they needed a mediator, a witness was to add to insult. Why couldn't he had just told him this? Weren't they friends? Did he think Triell would rile against him for dreaming?

Like Marsh, even Ice might have he felt a strong inclination to settle the matter without words of any kind. Especially with the fierce ache in his heart that was becoming more of a burning pain. To take a test to see if Drestig was so certain he was capable of all he wanted. The thought was quelled swiftly. A part of him could admire, want to be happy for Drestig. This all felt like a stab in the back, and there was sudden resentment. He shook his head, his expression cold. "While I may understand partly it's not a decision I'm willing to make. Would you have me tell the pack I am leader, but you have left because of it? No, this pack is as much as your family as mine. I will not be the reason it loses you," he replied gruffly. For the moment he didn't say any more, though he was curious as to what Spieden's own reaction would be. Had she known? Or anyone? Was he blind?

Triell Tainn
(This post was last modified: Jan 27, 2016, 03:52 AM by Triell.)
Inactive No Rank
Spieden Coho
@Drestig

While the topic at hand shouldn't have come as a surprise, Drestig was supposed to be a temporary measure after all, It still wasn't exactly something Spieden had expected to be talking about today. Or more accurately, there wasn't much talking on her behalf. She found herself an audience to whatever needed to be settled between the two males. Spieden did not miss the intent stare Drestig gave the Tainn, her ears flicking towards the side in hesitancy. And there her flattened ears remained as Drestig continued with his ultimatum. The Coho woman could not help the surprised chuff, eyeing Drestig with lifted silver brows as his gaze flicked between her and Triell.

She would have thought Drestig would step down and resume his place within the ranks, yet Spieden understood his predicament... If Nayeli came back, Spieden would probably find herself issuing similar declarations. The pack was her family in a way, as dysfunctional as it could be at times, but she wasn't sure she could take to being beneath anyone anymore. 

Spieden looked to Triell as he spoke, noting the man looked like he'd been dumped in ice water. It was a tough choice and she couldn't fault Triell for not wanting to be responsible for the decision and aftermath himself. She shrugged her hefty shoulders as if trying to loosen some of the tension.  "I can't blame you, Drestig." She said with a sigh, her lips pulling a tight line.  "But... I'd hate to see you go. The place wouldn't be the same without you." 

(This post was last modified: Jan 29, 2016, 04:21 AM by Spieden.)
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
@Triell

The hurt was clear in Triell's expression and the older man felt a stab of pain in his chest. But what had he expected? Spieden seemed more surprised than anything, he supposed she hadn't really thought of the possibility that he wouldn't want to step back down from his temporary post. Her words showed sympathy though, and for that he was grateful, especially when Triell gave his reply. This was not one of the scenarios Drestig had prepared for, especially the coldness in his friends voice send a shudder through him, a bolt of electricity running down the length of his spine, causing the hairs to bristle. Two pairs of blazing eyes locked as the Avalon felt his own bitterness rise and he spat back; "And what would you have me do Triell? Stick around in misery so you can keep up your image?!" He tore his gaze away, releasing a groan of frustration, which faded into a heavy sigh. He didn't want this to turn into a fight, he had so hoped they could come to an understanding, civilly. Staring at the old snow by their feet, the older man spoke in a calmer voice, shoulders sacking slightly; "I'm not doing this to hurt you. It's not a whim, I've been thinking about it for a long time now…"

His eyes lifted again, the anger replaced by sadness as he looked at his friend. "I respected your need, when you went on your search. Is it so much to ask the same from you?" There was no challenge in his voice, only a heavy tiredness that he did nothing to mask. He really didn't want to cause any pain, but he saw no other option, one way or another, someone was gonna be unhappy. Triell's words about family had stung deeply and so had Spieden's sentiment; The otherwise quite stoic woman speaking up to validate his importance. He looked to her now, trying to gauge her reaction, wondering if he had been right in calling her to join them for this. But he hadn't expected an argument – some objections yes, but not this – rather he had thought they should discuss it all together, considering it regarded the packs future and they were all, in a way, its leaders.

And yet he was planning on leaving it. Because it wasn't family enough? Putting it that way did make it sound bad; But it's not that simple… It was more than leadership that was his issue; This place… Ember eyes drifted over the woods around them, bushy brows furrowing. If Triell thought it possible to go on here, with the weight of all these dark memories… Well, then he was stronger than the elder wolf. Drestig's gaze landed on Triell again and he had to swallow hard before he could continue speaking, but when he did there was a fresh sting to his voice; "And it's not like I'm gonna sneak off in the death of night, leaving you to pick up the pieces. I fully intend to explain myself to everyone, take the blame if you will." He let out huff of breath, shaking out his fur. Suddenly he felt immensely tired, weighed down by the tension in the air, the build up from all his weeks of worrying. With a sigh he added, voice low; "I only have so much time left…"

Word count: 563

”Speech” Thoughts

pride12
Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
@Spieden
 Triell is taking his leave of the scene. Since they could have more to say I'll assume unless they mention it being said after Triell left that  he was there to hear it. Roleplaying makes it awkward for real back and fourth conversation, especially with an exit. :X If Drestig does still leave than Triell will be there when he tells the pack. <3

He was happy to see he wasn't being entirely irrational. Spieden while not reflecting his exact sediments, seemed caught off guard by his statement as well. Her words only ringing true to surely what everyone else would feel, and think. Triell wasn't about to smirk, there was no victory, and he worried where their words would end.

"You don't know me at all if that's what you think of me," he coolly stated, surprised his guard hairs remained smooth along his back. He felt it was only fair Drestig release his own frustrations, but Triell was aware he needed to rein in his own emotions. He really wanted to keep their friendship intact. But it was hard when there was only so much Drestig was telling them.

He mentioned about his search, and black lip twitched. For who will you look for Drestig? He wanted to murmur, but did not. His teeth remained clamped as he heaved in a heavy breath, letting the man carry on. He reached his end the Tainn had had enough.  He was not amused by his mention of blame, and did not fail to hear his word about time.  He shook his head, thick tail giving a twitch against his flank.

"I think you fail to understand what I'm saying is, by all means stay here and keep the position. Do you think I need it? No. Why I grind my teeth, and question you is I think what you're really saying is you don't want to stay here. That's the part I'm angry for. Why wouldn't you just say that? Why make it sound like you wouldn't go if." A short, and low growl rumbled in his throat and he shook his head, collecting himself.  Somberly, his eyes shifted from Spieden to the other dark man. "I know how tainted this place is. Do you think the rest of us feel differently?" Eyes roved the trees, and white blanketed ground. If only Corinna had died here it would have still been too many.

With a calm manner his eyes reached for his friend's, a silent plea, a look of understanding and love for this man that might as well have been his brother. "Whatever it is you need to find I hope you do and it brings you happiness, but I want you to know this the founders of the Bend chose this place because their last home was scarred by tragedy and now it is no different. Be sure what it is you really want to find. Change nor simple continuation of life does not completely silence the haunting of a heart." The Tainn had no more want to stay. He felt himself go numb, his grip slip. He began to step away. Drestig would remain or he wouldn't.

{exit}

Triell Tainn
Inactive No Rank
Spieden Coho
@Drestig

Spieden watched the volley between the two males with some distance, both physically and emotionally. In a way it wasn't really her fight, and she wasn't really sure what either outcome could mean for her. Perhaps if either of them had a woman who might vie for her place, she would have been personally invested in whatever conclusion they would come to. But as far as she knew, her seat as leader would go uncontested either way. As far as what was best for the pack, clearly the departure of one of it's long time members would be quite the hit, but Spieden couldn't make the Avalon male stay just for everyone else's sake.

Triell's bitter words hit a discordant note in her. Tainted.... Was this land really? Spieden's ears twitched, perhaps she was the only one that did feel differently. Even with everything that had happened, she had been happier here than anywhere else. Whether or not that spoke to how torturous her first years were more than anything else, she wasn't sure. But she knew no place could be free of struggle and strife, here or elsewhere. But as Triell continued, she found she did agree with the rest of his sentiment. You take yourself with you, wherever you go.

Drestig's last statement revealed to her the core of his predicament, the suddenness of it all. Time. With almost new eyes she looked at the male, the marks of age having made it's slow creep upon his features. She shifted her paws, not sure if whether she should speak.

"Drestig, you're right, none of us here are cubs with the rest of our lives waiting in front of us..." Spieden said with a wry twist of her mouth. Of the three of them, there was not a muzzle that one could not find a grey hair on, tired eyes, or slouching and weary joints. They weren't old, but none of them were kids anymore.

"But this is the rest of our lives. I guess, what I'm saying is... What if you leave, and you don't find what you're looking for? There isn't just a pack sitting out there waiting for you to come and lead it." She said with blunt words but gentle eyes.