(See All?) Announcements
422 Users Online
Bing, Google

Your high horse — Round Stone Crest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Jenandra who has 438 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
OOC: For @Moraxia  - This is a “rank challenge” - Raela has come to see if Moraxia still accepts her as a leader. (The outcome is pre-determined by us both to be a peaceful exchange with success for Raela.) 

2/20/2016
Weather:
2° F, -19° C
Mist
6:34 PM

She'd put this off for a bit too long. When Raela returned to the pack she was weakened, injured even, though only the slightest bit. Her frostbite was slowly healing into scars; growing less and less red and inflamed with tender; dutiful care from Gent. The former matriarch did not ascend right away. She had been away longer than was intended, and she had seen Moraxia's new position upon arrival. Raela was glad that the burly woman had stepped up in her absence; to take care of what was left of the pack, but Raela still wanted her leadership back. She wanted to be beside Gent now more than ever, and she only hoped that Moraxia hadn't written her off for her tardiness. 

For the first few days she remained submissive; clearly showing the other that she wasn't at peak form, and allowing the other female to continue to lead. She was thankful for the break in all honesty, but that time was over. Raela tracked along the mountainside; stepping swiftly along the larger wolf's snow trail. She was a bit nervous – if for some reason it became a fight, Rae was at a size disadvantage. She had tussled with Moraxia for fun before – and she was truly a capable warrior. Still, Rae had hope that they were on good terms, and that Moraxia continued to lack the drive to lead for extended periods. If the agouti mammoth had truly wanted to, she might have tried to depose the smaller woman long ago, but she didn't. To Rae, it appeared as though Moraxia was likely less interested in ruling the Crest than even she was – oh how her attitude had changed since the fall. 

Finally her target came into view; appearing like a ghost in the winter mist, and Raela felt herself grow more rigid. Her pace quickened to better close the distance between them, and her tail floated up from its position at her hocks. She didn't lift it all the way yet; just enough to get her message across. An amiable 'woof' parted her lips in greeting as she moved. The younger wolf would know what she meant just by her posture. "Moraxia?" She questioned, slowing her paw steps now that she had arrived. The rest of the sentence was written on her pricked ears and loftier stance. It was a question. She was ready to reclaim her throne. 
(This post was last modified: Feb 21, 2016, 12:03 AM by Raela.)
            [Image: 1HGS6dy.png]
[Image: AsFM155.png]
Played by Miss Freeman who has 59 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Moraxia Cipris

The sun was setting rapidly on the timbers that sprawled themselves in every direction from Moraxia’s paws as she clumsily made her way through the light snow. An unsettling feeling had wiggled its way into her gut, and she found it hard to sit still for very long. Everyone was disappearing, left and right her family was falling apart. Everything she had worked hard to protect and keep together was disintegrating in front of her eyes. A depressive mood had overcome the woman but she had yet to let it get in the way of her inner-duty to keep safe those around her. So much had happened in such little time at the Crest. The female had stepped up as leader during her alpha’s absence, but was itching to be back in her old role. The fear of losing more members was almost unbearable in her current position.

Despite her intimidating size and decent strength, Moraxia had no wish to lead. She didn’t contain the fire Raela and Gent possessed to keep going and fighting for everyone’s respect, again and again. She needed someone to serve and protect, someone she could trust to make the big decisions. The wolf enjoyed following just so she could be sure to keep an eye on everyone; it would be too much work juggling both roles. How long did Raela intend to wait before stepping up again? The pack needed her and Gent more than ever during the disorderly mess that had sprouted during their absence.

As if on cue, her ears swiveled to catch light footsteps followed by a soft woof in greeting. Giving her body a quick shake the woman stopped and craned her neck sideways, peering into the fog behind her. Raela appeared from the mist in a rather dominant looking stance, though she appeared to be in rough shape. A light smile instantly materialized on Moraxia’s face as the giant moved to bow her head in respect. How frail the alpha looked in front of her now; winter had been harsh on the woman’s features. Still, the wolf averted her eyes as to not cause any uncertainty between them. She knew why Raela was here and relief overcame her for a moment.

“It’s good to see you, Raela. Are you feeling alright?” Moraxia kept her neck and tail lowered as she asked, sincere concern in her voice.
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
OOC: Mor is such a cutie. 

What a relief. Moraxia's friendly and gracious reaction actually managed to stop the smaller female in her tracks. Her smile leapt contagiously across to Raela, who acknowledged the gestures by wagging her lifted tail at hip-height instead. If she wanted to submit, Rae wouldn't push for anything more than that simple acceptance. There was no need. Instantly her rigid body began to ease. This was still her friend, and even after her absence nothing seemed to have changed. It had been wordless and easy. Raela nodded her muzzle once; thoroughly appreciating the concern in her subordinate's voice. She had thinned a bit during her trip.

"You too; I'm doing better," her light voice began from behind a grinning maw. Her fluffy tail swung lazily side to side as they stood there; perhaps beginning to touch again on their friendly bonds. But there was much more she wanted to say. "I'm glad you were here to take on my role while I was gone," she added sincerely. "Thank you. I shouldn't have traveled so far." It was true. In her desperation to find the wayward Lagina she'd paced on; frantic for any clue to his existence until the timbers were days out of sight. Her golden eyes glinted in the fading light as she regarded Moraxia. Though Draven was now gone she could hardly blame this woman. That was his choice to make; even if it stung. 

Raela's gaze turned toward the setting sun. If she remembered correctly, Moraxia was still training to become their guardian. The corner of her lip turned up in a bit of a smirk. She remembered the meat @Gent had brought her on the day of her return. It had been a lynx kill, and perhaps it was high time they investigated it. And what better way to spend the evening than re-connecting with her loyal friend and pack mate? Moraxia deserved at least that much. Taking a step to the side and flicking her head in that direction, the renewed Matriarch spoke. "If you're up to it, Gent found a lynx kill the other day and I've been meaning to head over there. It's probably a good idea to check the borders nearby and make sure it's not hanging around." A few reinforced scent marks would surely do the trick. And if it didn't, well they had the means of making themselves understood; one way or another.
(This post was last modified: Feb 21, 2016, 05:24 AM by Raela.)
Inactive No Rank
Moraxia Cipris

Moraxia straightened her body, reclaiming her large physical-stature over Raela. She exchanged a quick wag and nodded as the woman spoke. Raela’s smile was comforting, as well as the words that followed. The woman had acknowledged her leadership, and with great praise. Moraxia smirked half-heartedly and averted her eyes to snow below them, shifting uncomfortably. “I appreciate your approval, it means a lot. Just make sure to keep coming back; I don’t know if leader is for me,” An oddly out-of-place smile remained on her lips as she leaned from paw to paw. Something deep in her gut was pulling at the woman again. How many more times would she leave? What if something bad should befall her? Would the responsibility of taking care of the pack be placed on the young wolf’s shoulders? She had so many questions regarding the future of the pack, but before she could say more the alpha was moving to leave.

Nodding and offering a hollow smile in response, the woman turned to follow her leader. The sun was still high enough they could check the borders and be home in time to watch the last of it sink behind the horizon. The mist around them had begun to dissipate as the two female’s walked side-by-side, Moraxia’s steps clumsier than her companies’. Her mind was set on so many things as they padded cautiously toward the border. She shot a quick glance at the Queen next to her. How dare they leave her and Gent like this, how dare their loyalties waiver. What kind of example had they set for the rest of the pack members, leaving the way they did? How is that remotely fair to anyone else here? Weren’t they supposed to be “family” like Calanthe had said?

‘Who’s going to leave me next…?’

The muscles inside of Moraxia’s body pulsed and strained as she continued on. She hadn’t intended for the silence that snuck itself in quietly between her and Raela- but there it was. The frustration and hurt was obvious and seemed to float off of the wolf in waves. Reaching one of the larger timbers, the wolf strayed slightly from the path they had been walking. Refusing to stop, the woman stuck out a shoulder and let her frame ricochet off of the solid trunk in anger, rubbing the rest of her body on the tree as she went by. She’d accomplished her mission of marking the tree with her scent but could feel a bruise quickly forming on her left shoulder. “Idiot…” she breathed through gritted teeth, stopping with her front legs spread apart in front of her. Chuckling quietly in hopes of clumsily playing it off Moraxia uttered a small sigh, followed by a seemingly flat retort.

“Whoops.”

Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
Moraxia's words only made the lighter woman appreciate her more. Just like Cessair she had been so gracious and noble in her demeanor. Rae was beginning to feel the very same respect for this towering female. Just as she had begun to suspect, Moraxia was not the type for high authority – comfortable enough as a second but not an Alpha. That was perfectly fine by Raela; most wolves were not bent on gaining leadership anyway – packs couldn't function without them. Raela was still one of these wolves at heart, but she could lead beside gent – it was always getting easier to do. Looking after the pack was a lot of pressure, but it could also be rewarding. Maybe things would get better soon and she could start enjoying that aspect of it once more. 

She felt a sinking in her stomach at  the request that she “keep coming back,” if only slight. She shouldn't have been gone so long; it was a mistake. "I will," she added simply, though her mind silently slipped in the word “try.” They moved past their little exchange; padding over the chilled ground and back toward where she remembered Danica's den to be. If they clung to the borders all the way there, they could mark any weak spots that had no doubt developed as the pack's strength dwindled. Already the borders were smaller; easier to patrol but less impressive. No wonder that lynx had wandered in. At one time they had held so much – perhaps they could build it back up again in time. 

She had expected Moraxia to perhaps continue the conversation or to introduce something else to say, but the icy silence grew harder with each stride. Raela could have spoken up as well, but the way the mammoth female was beginning to carry herself was, tense. A golden eye slid sideways to access her, and found rigidity in her stride. For a moment Raela wondered if the little challenge she had issued had really not gone so smoothly; but then again Moraxia was not one to lie like that. Something was amiss though; and if there was one skill Raela had it was other people. She practically felt the discontent in the mist around them. 

They reached a particularly tight cluster of trees and Raela split away only a few steps to rub her hips against a different trunk than the one the younger wolf had chosen. She watched though, as Moraxia collided with the wood a bit too hard. The motion was abrupt; and it captured the leader's full attention. Raela pulled slowly away from her post; letting her tail rub across the rough bark as she departed. Her ears were pricked curiously as Moraxia shrugged the incident away. Though the exact word she'd spoken escaped Raela's extra-sensitive hearing, the tone did not. Something was very wrong, and it was he duty as both friend and leader to figure it out. When Mor smiled Raela only clenched her jaw a little.

"You alright?" She asked; though her tone revealed she meant it more than physically. 
Inactive No Rank
Moraxia Cipris

The large beast stole a curious look at the woman nearby her. Jostling her shoulder back in a circular motion Moraxia directed her eyes to the timbers. What could she say? The wolf feared being seen as a giant brute with nothing more than feelings of anger and resentment toward her broken apart family but couldn't deny a need to open her heart for a few moments. "I just, I mean I’m okay." she started, a slight shaky feeling in her voice. "I don't mean to pry Rae but does—“ the female's voice wavered as she searched for the correct words. "—Does it not frustrate you seeing everyone just... walk away?" Her claws dug deep into the ground as she spoke, the tension in her body rising. "Are we supposed to just stand by as more leave?" Her tone increased dramatically as she continued, beginning to pace back and forth with her powerful legs straining at every movement. Her body felt like snapping, her mind began unweaving.

"How do you keep going knowing they could leave at any time?" She was almost shouting now, her muzzle curling to reveal sharp canines. "How can you pretend all is fine, like nothing has happened?!" Moraxia ended her pacing abruptly, snarling her words brutally into the dirt below them. So much uncertainty pounded against her skull in heartbeats. Her attention was redirected towards Raela again as clarity gradually flowed back into her. Adjusting her body language, the woman tucked her tail and hung her head. "I'm sorry. I'm just concerned as to where we go from here. I meant no disrespect, Raela." If the woman didn’t think her a large, angry brute before she sure would now.
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
As soon as moraxia started speaking, Raela could feel the storm brewing. Her voice was wrong, and so was the way she carried herself as the words came tumbling from her lips. At first the Queen's expression softened; of course it was troubling to her. For a moment she thought that maybe that's all that was bothering her subordinate; that she just needed to confide in someone else about the losses they'd all been through, but the explanation was far from over. Suddenly it became more accusation, than wounded question, and the larger females motions were setting her right on edge. Raela began leaning back on her legs as the mammoth woman paced. It seemed as though at any moment she would break, and the matriarch's heart began to pound with something akin to fear. 

If Moraxia attacked her it would be no easy fight. Her tone stung and Raela felt the hair on her neck rising. It was like Moraxia was questioning her directly; angrily. If this was about her regaining leadership then the smaller woman knew what was coming. As the biting words continued to lash out, some level of irritation was brewing on her end as well. When Moraxia snarled Raela's lips pulled back in a defensive display. She didn't want any part of where this was headed. Everything between them had changed so quickly, and she couldn't get a word in edgewise while the rant continued. The final, angry sentence crashed into the snow at her feet, and something shifted. While Raela's hackles were bristling; mind already racing with the inaccuracies and corrections she had for the girl before her, it all seemed to slowly come to a stop. 

The Crest matriarch waited, unwilling to speak up until she was certain she would not be attacked or interrupted. Adrenaline was throbbing in every muscle, ready to defend or flee, but thankfully neither was ultimately necessary. She hadn't expected any of this, but the way Moraxia submitted was the least predictable of all. The older wolf said nothing. She just stared at her friend while her muzzle slowly eased out its kinks. So she was volatile; that would have to be remembered. As the chemicals cleared so did Raela's mind. Even if what had been said and how it had been said were wrong or offensive, she began to see why it happened at all. While she had cried over the losses, it was not always how everyone else dealt with such things. Moraxia was a very different person, and everything about the encounter betrayed hurt. Hurt demanded reassurance and understanding. 

With some effort, Raela reached deep down for just that; though her expression remained hard. "I can't force anyone to stay here," she corrected; tail lashing at her hocks as her voice fought to remain even. Her emotions certainly did not want to be this calm. "And it would be wrong if I did. I don't know why they left," she started, pausing mid-sentence as her tone softened on its own. There was hurt within her too. "But I am not fine," she waited again to gather more thoughts. "Gent is not fine, and you are not fine." Obvious or not, to her it was worth stating. "I can't pretend it isn't happening, but if I just sit by and cry about it that's even worse. I'll do what I can to make this a good home with good wolves in it- and I can't do that by being sad." Her ears were pinned back now as she defended herself. "Some of them might leave but the ones that really count are still here," she confirmed; thinking directly of Gent but also allowing for Moraxia herself to fit the bill. Even Zilas had been around a little while. Her breath was coming slower, bit by bit as she calmed. That was what had been her true comfort after all; the stability he had offered in the face of all this loss, and it would continue to be.     
Inactive No Rank
Moraxia Cipris

Hurt surged through Moraxia as her ears descended neatly onto the back of her skull. She physically recoiled, taking a few steps away from Raela as if the alpha’s tone had created a wall between them. Allowing the woman to finish speaking she breathed in an effort to keep her emotions flat-lined. Something felt very wrong in the way Raela seemed to talk down to her for having simply spoken her mind, even after she’d shown submission. Another thought quietly crept into the beast’s mind as she unconsciously straightened her tail out behind her, letting the wolf finish. Her body froze as she locked eyes with the alpha for a moment, just staring directly at her. It wasn’t a defiant look, but there was a challenge in her eyes; a look daring Raela to talk down to her again. It was the same intimidating, fear-inducing look she often gave to Gent in an attempt to spark something within him. Her muscles were still roaring to go, and god she wanted to fight. She wanted to push the woman’s buttons.

But Raela wasn’t one to behave like that, and Moraxia had no intention of letting the tension explode that far.

Bristling her fur she gave her body a quick shake and turned begrudgingly away from the female. The entire exchange lasted only for a brief second. Moraxia’s ego was certain she’d trump the small alpha in a fight if given the chance, but the scuffle would serve no purpose but to end something she held onto so dearly: a friend. She owed the woman an apology for misplacing her anger. “Yes, you’re right I suppose. I was out of line anyway. Sorry–won’t happen again, Rae.” The giant’s tail fell lazily back into position by her heels as her eyes scanned the forest. Her brain continued to stir, though her expressionless face attempted to reveal nothing to the Alpha. The woman was so bold even in the face of adversity. At that moment her leader’s actions seemed impulsive and corrective, but also spoke of hurt buried deep within.

Moraxia took a moment to remind herself everyone else would be hurting too, and that the alpha’s were no exception. She wanted this whole conversation to be over and done with. Motioning with a head nod, the woman’s sulky face posed the question of if they should continue with their trek.
(This post was last modified: Feb 27, 2016, 07:53 PM by Moraxia.)
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
She had not been expecting the way Moraxia pulled away, and even less so they way she attempted to challenge Raela with her eyes. Moraxia was all over the place, and it was even more unsettling than the conversation itself. Raela's golden eyes returned the stare; brows beginning to knit together in irritated confusion. She was torn between trying to assert herself and her new rank, or just letting the tension die down. In the end she simply froze until Moraxia thought better of it and peeled away. Her tail was already horizontal with agitation, and the spikes on her neck twitched upwards. She would fight for this if she had to. Still, her teeth remained covered, and the Matrairch forced herself to remain calm where she knew others would lash out. The mammoth female would not have been spared a punishment were she a lesser wolf, were this a lesser pack.

The younger wolf moved away and Raela watched, her posture still stiff. At last Moraxia seemed to concede and agree to her words. Some would have taken deep offense to that challenge, for even thinking of putting on such a display to someone of higher status, much less an Alpha, but in the depths of her mind Raela had a feeling this wasn't about rank. This was more personal. It was about pain and instability – the very things she was charged with preventing. As the guardian-in-training's body came down in its level of hostility, so did her own. She answered the questioning gesture with a brisk nod, and finally loosened her tense muscles to join her subordinate again. 

The conversation was not over though, for it continued on in Raela's mind. She could not leave it like this. As they walked, the Queen felt her adrenaline subsiding; beginning to clear her thoughts and allow her back into the right frame of mind. There was something more that had to be said, but it would take a few moments to really form behind her tongue as more than useless nattering. Another tree was brushed against, another scraped at with her feet perhaps more viciously than moments ago. Moraxia would not be satisfied unless she got to the root of the problem. Fear and hurt bred anger; it was not the anger that was the problem. She knew that, she had always known that. A long sigh escaped the female's lips as they moved side by side, albeit a bit more distantly. 

Her heartbeat jumped at the sound of her own voice. "Mor I will do everything I can," she tried to reassure the bigger wolf with a sideways glance. "I'm not going to sit by while our numbers fall, but I need everyone to keep their heads, including myself." It was not to say that she had failed; but she was actively trying to keep calm even now. "If you think either I or Gent are failing somewhere then you tell me," a hint of that old irritation affected her wording some, against the smaller woman's best efforts. Her mouth swiftly picked up to try and ease it though. "I want to know," she added in a serious tone, making solid eye contact once more. It was sincere  – the pack was never about being a dictatorship under their rule. The opinions of the others did matter. That was the only way the pack would be able to unify as one force. No bonds were stronger than mutual respect; respect she felt had been lost a little moments ago. "I want to know why this is happening," she admitted in a more exasperated tone, now looking at the dirt with lowered eyebrows. It was all beyond frustrating. Was it even something she had done at all? Was it Gent? Why?
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity