424 Users Online
Bing, Google, Nori

i can move mountains — Dogwood Strath 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Nova who has 108 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Reiko Tainn
@Lunette  Cloudy afternoon
He was beginning to wander a lot further from the Draw. Maybe, it was his size that gave him confidence, or the fact he was starting to know the lands well. Or how easy it was to tell someone where he was planning on going, and of course he'd be back long before dark. There had been little to do at home, so he decided he would find something. The slow change of the season made food a little easier to get, and he prided himself on finding a meal for himself.

It was something he'd never eaten that caught his attention. The fresh trail of a fox, but he had no intention of hunting it. The creature was well enough away from the Draw. The Tainn was merely curious of it, and what it was doing. Trying not to bring it any alarm, he practiced his stealth skills. Moving slowly, trying to keep close to the ground. Hiding in what cover could be found. Which varied between tree trunks, dead brush, and a few lonely rocks.

So far he managed to keep behind it a decent distance without scarring it into a rush. A proud smirk hung on his light muzzle, as his yellow eyes tracked its bright coat against the white of snow up ahead. Then it stopped, tipping its head to one side, if confused. He held his breath waiting for it to streak across the strath. In a flash it dived head first into the snow. What on earth?
(This post was last modified: Mar 01, 2017, 03:43 PM by Reiko.)
Played by Fenrir who has 137 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lunette Vuesain

Lunette Vuesain

I’ve got my love stuck in my head

If the world was intent on ending, she'd go down with it.

Everything. Was. Wrong.

She pushed it to the back of her mind, and did something she had never done before: she went out, alone, and she went far. What was worse, was that she had left in the middle of the night. While the sun was still rising she had scaled the western edge of the mountain sheltering their lake, and the way down had been much easier. The slopes were steep, but once she'd found out that it was easier to sort of leap down from outcrop to outcrop instead of following the path, her descent had gone faster.

It took its toll, though. Lunette was in no way a well-conditioned wolf. She ate little—too little—and had never managed to build up neither strength nor stamina. By the time she passed into the forest below she was exhausted, and hungry. Her bones ached. Her joints ached. Her heart pounded very, very hard in her chest, and her throat burned. It was uncomfortable and frightening and—well, a lot of things, but for the first time in her life, she didn't have time for them. She couldn't stop and acknowledge the fear trying to devour her alive, because if she did, she'd die (caution: slight exaggeration).

So she stuck her head in the snow, and let it melt in her mouth, before swallowing it. It was a cool, cool blessing, and she 'drank' as much as she needed, before stopping to take her bearings.

She was in a forest.

She was down from the mountain.

She was—

—not alone. A pretty red fox, gleaming copper in a stray ray of sunlight, dashed across the snow cover before diving headfirst into it. Lunette laughed, a bright, tinkling sound. She had watched plenty of foxes hunt up on the mountain, and even tried imitating them a few times. Her only caught prey was snow, though, but it had been amusing nonetheless, and part of her was just relieved that the world down here was like the world up above.

But down here, everything was new. Everything was fresh. Unaware of the other wolf nearby, she drew a deep breath, and sat down in the snow. She'd just catch her breath.. and then go looking for something to eat—if she could manage to catch anything. Her eyes closed.
Inactive No Rank
Reiko Tainn
It was no longer the fox that had his attention. Head jerked in surprise, ears flickering, as eyes darted about in search. The sound of laughter, light and full caught his attention. Why it was similar to his sister's, he knew it didn't belong to her. It was different...

Was he being spied on? Was it weird to be caught watching a fox?

Remembering the fox, he saw it now had a small creature firmly in its mouth, and was zipping away to some near by willow trees. No...wait...come back....Argh.. He wanted to pursue it, but as he ushered forward he suddenly halted. There was a girl out here. At least...he thought so. They had way of sounding a little different. Where'd she come from? He'd been here plenty of times and only ever encountered one. Was there another pack close than he thought? Marina and Lila came to mind but, he was suddenly doubtful it would be either of them.

Suddenly self conscious, he stepped out a little further, caution evident in his heavy frame. His light yellow eyes swept along the landscape on the valley floor. It was on the slope he saw a bit of silver that stood out from the dark bark of the trees, and the stark white. He stared for a little longer than was appropriate. She was sitting so still, eyes pressed tight. He blinked if it may wash the picture away, but it didn't. Sentences, questions formed in his brain, but as his lips slipped apart nothing fell from his mouth. Everything sounded so...not right. But silly. He wasn't necessarily angry, and he doubted she could have been stalking him. He had to say something.

"Hello," he finally managed, but a question hung after the single word. Much as he wanted to say what you doing, he felt he was too old, and too much of a stranger to say it to her.
Inactive No Rank
Lunette Vuesain

Lunette Vuesain

She was exhausted—she had done more in a single day than she had done in her whole life, at least, that was how it felt. Her body cried out for rest and food, stomach growling, and she wanted to do nothing more than fall over on her side, and sleep. Long and deep. She sighed, a heavy sound, lost and oblivious, too tired to be properly alert, ready for another notch in her ear for her mistakes.

In her defense, she was young and far from home, convinced her only company was a fox with a snack in its mouth. Her bones were made of iron and her paws of lead, and she was ready to drift away into the sunlit oblivion in her mind. It called out for her, gently, hesitantly, urging her to slip into the blissful realm of half-sleep, and then, deeper, deeper, deeper

"Hello," somebody said, much too close and Lunette's eyes flew open at the same time that all four paws left earth. She yelped and bounced backwards, suddenly not tired at all, mind and heart running frantically, fear pumping through her system, her brain screaming idiot, you deserve to die for this, you useless piece of shit.

Her ..assailant.. was a young wolf, not yet an adult; he was large and went in shades of brown, thick fur the color of rust, autumn leaves, and cream. Striking yellow eyes, with just a touch of gold and orange, regarded her questioningly—she, a mess of spiky silver fur and sharp, bared teeth, terrified. He made no move to attack her. She swallowed, and while suspicion lingered in her young eyes, her fur smoothed itself out and her lips fell down to cover her fangs.

".. hi," she said, voice meek, eyes flitting uncertainly before she forced them to settle on him. Your life will never change if you will always be afraid. But it was difficult, all she wanted to do was cry and run home to the Cove, because she was hungry, and this wolf was a stranger and the world was evil and she couldn't even stand up for herself and she felt awful because what had he done to deserve to be greeted with fangs?

In the end, everything was her fault. "I didn't n-notice you," she went on. Wolves had died from less, and only luck kept her sorry self alive.

She'd never be able to do anything right.
Inactive No Rank
Reiko Tainn
He'd thought she'd simply realize she wasn't alone, not blast off from earth in shock. Brown ears tipped back apologetic. He had made another mistake, but at least she wasn't falling down into the pits of an icy, rushing river. How did he help her? Rushing toward her, surely would make her launch away.

He had every want to mutter sorry, excuse himself. Duck and run like hell to safety and hope they never met. What if she was like that other wolf? She'd gnash her teeth, and maybe not even give him a warning to run. Maybe, he should have made Treyah tag along. Zerxes would have come too, and he probably would been lot better at this. Suddenly, the way he could see her teeth, he scooted backward, not taking his eyes off her. She had eyes that matched, a warm, rich brown of earth. He wasn't sure if they were kind. With her silver and white coat bristled, he felt it best to take another step. If she lunged, at least he thought he could step out of it. Then run,run, as fast as he could.

Nothing seemed to happen as he waited counting down the seconds he would unfreeze, hurry to safety any second. Then she suddenly looked more like a wolf instead of a porcupine with fangs. Why was she looking at him like he was the beast? The Tainn frowned, briefly checking himself to make sure his own hair wasn't out of place. That wasn't it. He didn't understand how anyone could be afraid of him. He still felt like the chubby cub whose legs happened to be longer.

His ears barely managed to catch her greeting, but eyes were quick to land back on her. Then the girl made another attempt to speak. "Oh, I was hiding, watching that silly fox ya know?" Or didn't. "So you wouldn't have.." Ehh, was that rude? He was trying to ease her fear, and could keep a rambling. He was still not positive that did any good, but he'd keep going because his tongue seemed the easiest to move.

He heaved in a deep breath, chest puffing with the motion, then slowly falling with his shoulders. "I'm Reiko Tainn. It's okay, I...I'm not..." A bad guy? "I mean, I'm sorry I startled you. I just...I haven't met many my age. I wondered if you were all right. If you live somewhere round here. I live a little bit aways with my mom and dad. We gotta a pack. They told me there were others." He attempted to smile. She was starting to look less scary, and more like a cautious girl who didn't want to drop her guard. What reasons did she have?
Inactive No Rank
Lunette Vuesain
Lunette, the porcupine with fangs. I like.

Lunette Vuesain

Oh, ow. Ow. Ow ow ow. Each little backward motion that registered in her mind, belatedly analyzed, was like stepping on a sharp rock, its tip cutting into her soft pads. He was afraid of her—her, meek little Lunette, who wasn't even trusted to bare her fangs at a lynx occupied with the majority of her pack. But he was scared of her, or at least respected her, because he was edging backwards as if he'd suddenly tripped on a half-awake bear. It was.. uncomfortable, she decided. She didn't want to be scary.

Or did she? It was oddly tempting to start growling and advance menacingly and demand to know who he was and why he dared to come so close to her.

Then she thought of Kajika, and his gentle manner. She thought of Mama, and her grace and kindness. She thought of Papa, her pillar of strength, who she had never witnessed be angry or rude. Then again.. she thought of the wolf who had bit her ear. She thought of the fact that that was the only outsider she had met. Maybe they were all crazy out here?

He didn't look crazy, though. He hadn't tried to match her display. He hadn't attacked. In fact, now that her fur was starting to smooth out, he just looked confused, and even chanced to glance at his own back. She frowned a little. What was he looking at? Himself? Or something behind him? He.. didn't seem dangerous at all...

His attention snapped back to her when she spoke, and she was suddenly very self-conscious again. She tensed up a little, her ears stubbornly stuck forward even though she wanted to flatten them, duck, tuck her tail and go up in smoke. Or sink through the earth. Something. Anything. She had wanted it so badly, so often, but it never happened, and it usually made her bitter that the world was such a dumb place it left her all to her own when things became too hard. It didn't even have the grace to kill her so she could stop being so afraid and anxious all the time.

The words that fell from his mouth didn't seem very planned. But obviously, he had more skills at surviving in this world than she had, because he was confident that he could hide—and her scare was proof of it—and she was just useless at everything. It pricked her heart with envy and self-doubt, and she couldn't keep her eyes from narrowing at him. He went on, more words tumbling out, and the tension around her eyes eased just a little. His name was.. weird, she decided. She had never heard anyone named something like that before.

"Me neither," she said, her gaze dropping to the ground, shoulders tense. "My sister left a couple of months ago." She wondered why she said it; she didn't know him, she.. knew nothing at all of him, except that they were, actually, very similar in their predicament. It gave her enough courage to lift her eyes again, and she was surprised to see that he had a hesitant smile on his lips. She frowned again, and shifted her weight between her front paws. "I'm Lunette Vuesain. I'm from the mountain." She kept frowning, and looked over her shoulder. Between the trees and the foothills, it was difficult to spot the jagged peaks. She let out a low breath. It had taken her nearly a day to get down. How on earth was she going to get back up? She was hungry and tired and suddenly too worn out to be making it through the dance of conversation. Exhausted and dispirited, she sank down to her haunches and stared miserably at the ground between them.
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A lynx has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health
Inactive No Rank
Reiko Tainn
The seconds did not seem to trickle away. They seemed slow, agonized. The young wolf managed to wait, holding out he would get a little information in turn. Even if by each one of those seconds he thought about turning back for home. He felt like he was being scrutinized, and she was coming up with less and less reasons to pay him any more mind. Maybe, she'd just turn around and leave first. This would be just another encounter he didn't tell anyone.

Yellow eyes focused he thought a change had come about her own brown stare. If knowing more about him, he was less of a threat. Less likely to cause her harm. It should be obvious he was not highly skilled in interactions, and could not very well trick her by any means. Tripping over your own tongue made it hard enough to simply speak the truth. He would gain nothing from hurting her.

His ears, and expression perked at the sound of her voice. Was this her first time away from her home? He would guess it could very well be. In turn she shared information of her sister having left. He could not help the frown, nor the furrow of his brows upon his brown and red facade. He could not imagine what he would feel if Treyah had vanished one day. Would he be angry? Then sad? Was this why she was afraid? To get lost? Or she wouldn't want to return? "I'm sorry," he quietly replied. Wondering if she was maybe looking for her over here.

It seemed his smile could not win her completely over. It became more secure as she finally gave her name to him. She was from the mountain. He had often wondered how it would be to live up there, but he had only been there once. Why he wanted to spend more time, with the snow still remaining he did not. They had been warned how it could shift, or a sudden storm could brew. Since he really had no reason to be up there, he put in the back of his mind with other wants waited.

"From Fallen Tree Cove?" He ventured to ask, not entirely certain. His gaze did not waver, and the more and more she looked defeated. If this was not what she had wanted at all. Reiko was sympathetic. It was not an easy journey down from the mountain. He remembered how hungry they had become. "Do you know the way back?" He asked, trying to be gentle with his words. "You could home with me. I'm sure we can find something for you to eat, and my parents could help you get home." Tail softly beat behind him, he was not sure why, but he hoped she would come with him. See the rest of the world wasn't entirely something to fear.
Inactive No Rank
Lunette Vuesain

Lunette Vuesain

The weight of the world rested on her shoulders. The journey was lead in her bones. She ached, from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail, her body a dull throb flaring in sync with her heartbeat. Her head was heavy. Her head was full, the world around her muddied and obscure. Each thought was a war she had to fight, and everything else crept up her back, threatening to slither down her her throat and choke, choke, choke

She was so far away from home, and she was so tired, she didn't even want to think anymore. Tears threatened to burst forth between shallow breaths, but she clamped her jaws shut and bit down on them. She would not cry. She would.. she would get out of this, somehow, but that determination seemed like nothing more than a pretty dream. She didn't want to get up, not even think about getting up...

"I'm sorry," Reiko said, his voice soft, and it nearly undid her on the spot. Her breath hitched and she screwed her eyes shut, shuddering with the effort to not fall apart then and there. He was not Kajika. She couldn't trust him. She couldn't—wouldn't let herself come apart here. "From Fallen Tree Cove?" he went on, and she nodded mutely, still not opening her eyes. They still burned. They still threatened to overflow. And it didn't help. Crying wouldn't get her back onto her precious, hated mountain.

"Do you know the way back?" Cry or scream? Break down, or fly at him, fangs bared, shrieking like a banshee? She wanted him to shut up—but that was terribly rude of her, and if she was rude, even with good reason, her life would crash down because someone would be disappointed and we can't have that, now, can we? "You could home with me. I'm sure we can find something for you to eat, and my parents could help you get home." She didn't stand a chance anymore. Her eyes were wet and they overflowed, tears streaming down her cheeks as she began to sob; eyes closed, head down, for the first time in her life genuinely wishing she was back home, and not.. not down here with this boy who was much too kind for her.
Inactive No Rank
Reiko Tainn
For once the boy was glad Treyah was not here. He felt like she would have picked at Lunette's sudden weakness. He would have been forced to leave her alone to fend for herself. It made him wonder would Kerb have helped? He had helped him, and Trey...

Still out of his own comfort zone he had to do something, not ponder what anyone else would do. He felt he needed to be the one to help.

Why there was trepidation, the young Tainn inched a little closer. He really didn't want her to cry. He was doing his best to help in the only way he knew. He was sure both he and his sister had had their moments of tears. But, it hadn't been hard to get Trey to smile, or giggle. Bat him back on the head to settle the score.  But, this was something far beyond his knowledge. He knew how to track, to patrol, and hunt. What kind of strangers he was better to avoid. Reiko had never been taught how to comfort a girl. The last one he had rescued had vanished. He was suddenly afraid maybe he just couldn't.

Careful, mindful, he paused certain he did not see tears. Not yet.

Actually, maybe Treyah would have been better at this. Thinking about Zerxes and his sorry state he had been in, she had helped him. She always had one idea or another. He was grasping at nothing Though...Zerxes wasn't a child. He had been looking for his lost brother. Ugh. He would speak to his mother about these things. She had after all been a girl at one time, and would not judge his questions. Now, if he could just get her to come with him. Hopefully, she could see it would be okay. She would get home safe and sound. They just needed more than each other.

Upon his offer something broke. There was no longer any shadow of a doubt she was bawling. His mouth gaped in his horror, eyes wide as he felt suddenly frantic. If he hadn't a heart he would have ran off, leaving her to her own devices. Calling for Kerb or dad could make things worse. It seemed a little pathetic to rely on someone else.

"Sshhh," quietly, he offered, scrambling over to her, his large frame ridiculously low for what he could manage with his size. He pressed his shoulder beside hers, trying to draw his neck, and head down next to her own as if she might have been Treyah having a rough day. "Lunette, you came all this way by yourself. I'd never coulda done that! We just gotta trot a bit, and you'll see. My dad won't have any trouble helping ya. Kerb, you'll like Kerb. When we first got here he helped me get a rabbit! He lets me help him patrol.  Maera, she's not near as talkative, but she kept my sister Treyah from falling in the river. She always shows me where a cache is if I didn't get something on my own. Zerxes, he has these stories.... And..and my mom, she use to live on the mountain, and knows it well. She'd always help a friend of mine." Eyes desperately cast back and forth hoping to reach her.

"Surely, you can trot. All we gotta do is follow my trail, and I'll let them know we're comin "
(This post was last modified: Apr 11, 2017, 05:29 AM by Reiko.)