Google, Bing, Clover

Lets Make a Deal — Cedarwood Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ghost who has 389 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Minka Lagina
@Maksim @Astra

Late November, Early Evening, Light Snow -6F/-21C

The woman retraced her paw steps from the week before, now completely filled in with the snow that had been a constant onslaught for the past month. It was quickly piling up, much higher than her ankles now and the weather showed no sign of stopping the constant flurries. Even without the physical trail it was easy enough for the fae, Southern Eden had been her home for the past 7 months since she arrived in these lands and the forest was familiar to her. On top of that her last journey had been etched into her memory as all of her senses had been on high alert, it had been a search mission for @Titan, who still remained missing. It had been on this seemingly futile mission that the leader had stumbled upon the borders of a pack, a pack that had not been there last time she had visited the woods. Not wanting to start a confrontation with a new pack, especially with the state her own pack was in Minka had quickly left without hesitation. For days the fae had been contemplating returning, after all a new ally for Whisper Caverns could be extremely beneficial for the coming winter.

The final decision had come to her this afternoon, she would return with an offer of peace to these newcomers and hopefully they would accept. Spending the rest of the day hunting Minka had finally come across a hare, fat in preparation for the coming winter, a small token to be offered. The woods around her were starting to dark as the tawny woman lowered the hare onto the snow and lifted her muzzle to the sky, calling for either of the leaders, or possibly both to come to her. Now there was nothing she could do except wait, wait and hope.

fate hasn't finished
MINKA LEIGH
with you yet
Played by Mimi who has 313 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
It had been a slow day, but that did not mean it had necessarily a bad one. Rousing himself from his sleeping state after a quick nap, the Cut Rock leader trotted through his territory, casting gaze across the river as he slowly made his way towards the cache he had dug out for himself not too long ago. He’d stored away a hare that still had not grown out its winter coat which had made it easy pickings for the agouti wolf and the idea of tucking into it certainly wetted his mouth. A quick meal before he headed out on this evening’s border patrol. It didn’t take long for him to arrive at the site—he’d tucked it away beneath a large slab of stone—and just as he was about to fish it out from its hiding place, a howl called out for his attention. His ears twisted as he listened, lifting his head and facing the directional source of the song. Food would have to wait.

Knowing it would take a while for him to arrive at the borders, perhaps half an hour or so, he lifted his own muzzle and responded to the call. Immediately after, he picked up the pace as he loped along. It took almost half an hour for him to arrive in front of their visitor, tail raised up in a display of dominance. The stranger was a woman and obviously one of pack. She wasn’t skinny like most loners, a sure sign of eating well. He briefly passed his gaze over her—average looking coat, clearly built for hunting and maybe scouting—before he finally offered some spoken vocalisation to the female. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“It’s getting cold, isn’t it?” He came to a halt, three or so meters away from her, before her scent hit him and he lifted his chin. She had been here before, hadn’t she?

A week or so ago, he’d caught a scent near the borders. It seems that, whoever they were, they didn’t stick around for long and didn’t even make their presence known. He had wondered why, of course, so perhaps he would find the answer to his questions here. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“Maksim Baranski, leader of Cut Rock River. What business do you have here?”<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">

we are shining in the rising sun, as we are floating in the blue
Inactive Deceased
Minka Lagina

A call responded but moments after her own, a reassuring sign that the pack was friendly enough, or polite at least. The woman settled down on a nearby stone that was mostly sheltered from the falling snow, resting her head on her paws she waited. Nearly half an hour passed before the sound of pawsteps in the snow reached her tawny ears, leaping down from her resting place Minka returned to her original spot behind the hare. The fae knew her place here and immediately tucked her tail beneath her belly and lowered her head, ears pinned back. Golden gaze focused on the silver paws of the male as she held her wolfy bow, a clear sign of respect for what she could assume was the alpha of the pack. After a few moments the woman raised herself, though her tail was still tucked beneath her and her gaze focused around the male's chest so as to not challenge his authority. With a warm smile she answered, "It is indeed, cold much too soon for my liking," the words and tone were casual, small talk before the real meeting began.

Still avoiding eye contact Minka relaxed her tail slightly, allowing it to wag slowly behind her, trying to show that the meeting had been called with only good intentions. Much more serious than before the woman spoke again, "Minka Leigh, leader of Whisper Caverns. I stumbled upon your pack borders last week and have now come with an offering of peace in hope of an alliance between our packs." Nudging forward the hare towards Maksim the woman stepped back once more, she was careful to not come too close to the boundaries unless invited. Nervousness bubbled inside the woman, though it did not show on the outside, this was her first big move as leader and hopefully it would benefit them in the future. Though time would only tell whether this was a smart move on the leader's part, or a fools mistake.

fate hasn't finished
MINKA LEIGH
with you yet
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.

Look Out!

There is a moose carcass that has been scavenged by a bear nearby. +10 Health

Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
The woman lowered herself, tucked her tail between her pale legs. She certainly knew her place here which was always a good thing. Manners mattered, after all. Maksim nodded slowly and couldn’t help but agree with her statement. He’d never known the snows to fall this thickly so soon and it caused him quite a bit of concern. He’d been stubborn and ignorant with the flooding of the Rapids but he knew better this time; he’d keep an eye out for serious weather conditions. “I worry for those without a home in the coming months. I have no doubt it’ll only get worse with time.” Such pessimistic thoughts, though it only made sense to be truthful, didn’t it? Getting both his and someone else’s hopes up seemed selfish and cruel.

He read her body language well, understanding that she meant no harm or ill-intent in these lands. Her name was given, a miss Minka Leigh of Whisper Caverns. Cave wolves, eh? Well, that was new. Still, he wasn’t one to judge—people were free to claim a home wherever they felt happiest. Minka’s explanation was brief, straight to the point: an alliance between the River wolves and the Cavern dwellers. It seemed her last encounter with these borders was an accidental discovery so she figured she’d make the best of the situation. It seemed smart enough and Maksim had intended to travel out and introduce himself to the other leaders in the area. A fat, plump hare was gently pushed towards the agouti leader, a peace offering, and the brute moved forward. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“Thank you,” he responded, lowering his head as he did so, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“I’ll see if the girls feel like eating.” After securing a grasp on the small mammal, Maksim backed up a few steps before placing it at his paws across the border.

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“An alliance is certainly workable between us, Minka. With the coming winter, we will all need as much help as we can get and allies don’t just appear out of thin air.” The River leader wondered, briefly, how a cave dwelling pack would cope in winter. Would the walls not be cold? The floor? A fear of being snowed in? <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“Speaking of, you wouldn’t happen to know any other packs in the nearby area, would you? I’ve been meaning to get out and introduce myself to whoever I can but I simply haven’t known where to start.”<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">

Inactive Deceased
Minka Lagina

Minka smiled warmly as the gift was accepted and at the mention of 'girls', she could only assume that they would be his children. The thought of pups caused a pang in her chest, poor Titan was lost somewhere, that is if he was still alive at all. Briefly sadness flashed across the tawny face as her mind drifted to the dark pup and his possible whereabouts, oddly enough she had thought she had caught his scent last time she had found the borders. It was obviously a trick of her mind as Titan was nowhere to be seen, just desperate hope causing her to sense things that weren't really there.

His words brought her back to the present, this was something she could control, this she could do for the pack. It seemed like so much was happening to the Cavern wolves, so much had occurred and then Minka had stepped into the role as leader among all the turmoil. Nodding her head gravely the woman spoke again, "I understand, and I am willing to put the work into forming an alliance if you are," the words were formal, but the woman's voice carried its usual amount of warmth. This new pack had done nothing to harm them, and an alliance was much smarter than starting a war with such a close pack. After all Whisper Caverns and Willow Ridge had aligned and it was through this alliance that the packs were able hunt within Southern Eden without worry of ambush or aggressive competition.

Minka answered his question once more, "Just one other this far south, Willow Ridge, they are located in the Drooping Willows and are led by Lady Elettra." Just the mention of the woman's name reminded Minka of how indebted to her she was, over the summer the dark woman had saved the huntresses life. After an accident with a bull elk Elettra had allowed the tawny woman to stay there for a few days while she rested and healed enough to return home. Smiling towards Maksim the woman asked a question of her own, "If you don't mind me asking, why choose the Cedarwood Forest to settle a pack in?" Minka had spent her whole life living on stone, first in the great stone shields far east of here and now in the caverns. It was odd she knew, most wolves preferred forest floors to stone, but it was all she had known.

fate hasn't finished
MINKA LEIGH
with you yet
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
The Cut Rock leader couldn’t help but wonder just how close they were to this Whisper Caverns pack and their territory. Maksim was sure that hunting grounds weren’t being trespassed upon—if anything, he and the rest of the River wolves would find their game in the Heart and Northern Eden—though he really couldn’t say. Had this Minka and her pack been around during Grizzly Hollow’s time? Perhaps she knew of Kade and Ava. Would she have an idea of where the Attaya couple went? Perhaps he should ask. As soon as the idea popped into his head, Maksim scolded himself; he needed to stop focusing on the past. Cut Rock River was his home, not one he had inherited through sickness. Right now, the present was demanding he negotiate an allegiance, one that he was more than happy to participate in.

He nodded at her words, pleased that she was as willing as he was. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“We won’t encroach on your hunting grounds too much. We’ll stick to the northern haunts to lessen clashes.” He certainly didn’t want wolves bursting with adrenaline and feral instincts running into each other. Tensions may rise and, with that, could transform into something ugly and aggressive. Whilst bumping into neighbours was going to happen, and definitely more than once, it was nice to know that it’d at least be on civil grounds. That was, truly, a relief.

Minka Leigh spoke of Willow Ridge, led by a woman known as Elettra, and Maksim nodded slowly. Drooping Willows? He’d certainly have to pay a visit there someday, and pretty soon at that. Best he get this all out of the way before the snows really hit (and he was sure they would do so hard). <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“Thank you for the information—I appreciate it, Minka.” Logic designated that this Willow pack would be near the forest. A cluster of willows sounded familiar, though he’d never really seen it from anywhere but afar. They were easy to identify trees, nonetheless; distinct and much different from the towering cedars of his home. Willow Ridge would probably prove easy to find. Optimistic thinking often led to positive occurrences, after all.

The Baranski found the question sent his way odd. Why a forest? <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“It reminds me of home,” he stated, somewhat bluntly, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“I find comfort in the towering trees and the river.” For a brief, fleeting moment he faltered, furrowing his brow ever so slightly. He wasn’t sure if he could manage the rest.<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">

(This post was last modified: Dec 03, 2013, 01:18 PM by Maksim.)

Played by Trix who has 32 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Astra Sellix
OOC: Sorry for her late arrival!

Dusk was upon the land, making for a peaceful, surreal atmosphere. The last rays of light bathed the forest in a soft glow, glittering off the undisturbed layer of snow. Gently falling snowflakes only added to the picturesque scene. It was the perfect time for an evening walk. Astra normally loved this time of day, for it was when the stars were just beginning to come out. When the skies were clear, she could look up at the unreachable diamonds, study their patterns and interpret their meanings. However in such frigid conditions, she was less than comfortable. Winter nights were breathtaking in their own right, but she really did prefer the liveliness of summer evenings instead. Regardless of the weather, she still had things to do. One of those things on her list was to check that the borders were being maintained and that no strangers were trying to slip through unnoticed.

In the fading light, she moved with an almost unnatural stealthiness. With a silence only a ghost could possess. Her paws glided over the frozen earth steadily, a dusting of snow falling from her fur the only evidence that she had even been there. Should someone manage to spot her through the array of trees and rocks, they'd instantly know of her presence. The dull orange light reflected off her gold fur, seeming to give her a fiery appearance. Content yet thoughtful, she wondered how the other members of Cut Rock River were doing. Were they adjusting well? Were they feeling at home, or did they miss the security and comfort of Darkwater? All these little questions would have to be answered later, for as a summoning howl reached her ears, Astra's curiosity spiked. Who would be knocking at their doorstep on this hour? Judging by the faint scent, it wasn't a loner looking for a home. Perhaps a neighbor coming to introduce themselves. Diverting away from her path, she made for the borders, where the stranger would be waiting. Being a little ways off and with snow to plow through, it took her a good fifteen minutes to get there. When she did arrive though, she saw that Maksim had beaten her to it. He was speaking with an Agouti female who held herself proudly, and apparently she didn't seem bear any ill intent.

Hanging back about five yards away, Astra listened to their conversation, observing the pair carefully. Minka, as the female was named, had proposed an alliance. A tempting offer...one she would want to look into further. Deciding that she had hung back in the shadows long enough, she cleared her throat softly to gain their attention. Stepping forward, tail wagging amicably, Astra came to stand side by side with the Baranski male. "Pardon my late arrival, but I couldn't help but listen in a little." She said with a note of light humor in her voice. Her blue-grey eyes then settled warmly on the female from Whisper Caverns. "Minka is it? I am Astra Sellix. I lead alongside Maksim." She refrained from voicing the fact that her position was more than likely, temporary. Acting professional was just one part in making a good first impression. "I had been meaning to introduce ourselves to any other packs in the region, but it seems you've taken the initiative." She paused, taking into consideration the question given to Maksim. Why CeadarWood Forest. "Well...I could be wrong...but I suspect a few of us have a deeper attachment to this place. In the east, our previous home was flooded due to all the rainfall." Nothing more would be said about that, allowing Maksim the choice to fully tell their tale or not. She knew nothing of the fact that Maksim and Destin had once lived in these very woods before. Going by the look in their eyes, their body language and their overall demeanor, it was her guess that there were connections to the place.

Inactive Deceased
Minka Lagina

The thought of two hunting packs clashing was horrid, what with the bloodlust and the adrenaline that accompanies a hunt it would sure to be a disaster. It was a relief when Maksim spoke of their hunting grounds, it was far from their own and so hopefully they would be able to avoid such a conflict all together. Smiling and nodding in response she explained, "We stick mostly to the meadow South-East of here, the herds tend to graze there in the mornings.....Or at least they used to, I haven't seen a good sized herd in months." That was just one more thing to worry about, along with the harsh winter the herds seemed to be disappearing. Even when a herd did show up in the meadow it was always small, like a group of stragglers left behind in the migration. The woman had been attempting to track as much as possible, it had once been her favourite pass time, but now she hardly had the time. When she did manage to find tracks they were more often than not long since stale, just a mere whisper of prey.

The woman had just nodded to Maksim's thanks when another woman entered the area, an Astra Sellix, the other leader of Cut Rock River. Dipping her tawny head in respect for the woman Minka smiled, it seemed that both alpha's were friendly enough and open to an alliance. The smile quickly vanished and sorrow filled her eyes at the story, dipping her nose down in empathy she murmured, "I am sorry for your loss, We too have suffered with the arrival of winter." The fae had decided that if they were to truly be aligned than honesty was the best policy, and it should start now. "I have just recently become the alpha of the pack, our old alpha left on a mission across the mountains and has been gone for twice as long as planned. Her son, Titan, one of the pups has also gone missing, I can only assume he left to go find her..." the woman faltered as her thoughts wandered once more to the missing Cavern wolves, for they were still truly part of the pack, they were part of the family and should be welcomed back with open arms.

fate hasn't finished
MINKA LEIGH
with you yet
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
The news that Whisper Caverns hunted in the South-East regions was a relief as it meant there would be no hunting clashes—hopefully—though he was certainly concerned by the news of small herds. His ears flicked backwards momentarily as he frowned, pale brows furrowing as he briefly pondered what this meant for the River wolves. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“The stragglers tend to be the weaker ones, so snag one whilst you can. I’m sure you know that from experience, though.” This was certainly a sign that he should plan on calling together a hunt and soon. If the herds were moving then no time should be wasted.

The sound of approaching footfalls caught Maksim’s attention and he turned his head to be greeted by the presence of Astra. The butter-scotch female swiftly made her way to the leader’s side and introduced herself. The Baranski was certainly pleased that she was settling into her role as leader well. Despite this, he opted to remain silent as a brief explanation was given over the flood. Perhaps honesty was the best policy when it came to allies, though it rose the question is not telling lying? No, he wouldn’t think so. There was no lie in silence, nor was there truth. Only neutrality.

Minka’s face fell at the news, her rust coloured head dipping with condolences. It seemed that Astra’s words had spurred a desire to share in the woman as she spoke of recently stepping up to leader via the loss of their leader. Then a name that caused Maksim to become stiff with surprise; @Titan.<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;"> “Titan is currently under my care,” the agouti wolf explained swiftly. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“I found him wondering the woods. The lad said he was lost so I brought him back here so that he may gather his strength again. We were to set out soon to find his mother.” He cleared his throat. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">“I shall call him here so he may return home with you.” Immediately, the River leader tilted his head and parted his lips, calling for the Whisper Caverns prince. At least one child Maksim had found would be returned to their family.<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#619F28;">