(See All?) Announcements
773 Users Online
Google, Bing, Mouseling, Finley, Hazelnut

return the equipment in one piece — Jasper Rocks 
Print · · Subscribe · 2 Loves ·
Played by Grey who has 444 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
For @Veho. Backdated sometime between August 17-22. Pick a date at your convenience, I suppose?
RE: Rook, a curious burrowing owl fledgling won't leave you alone...

August ???; Early Afternoon; Light rain shower; 50 ° F, 10 ° C.

How long had it been since he had seen Veho? How long since he had found those silvery limbs and  tangled himself up in them, discovering that his mottled head fit tucked up against that ashen chest? It was as though the medic had been calling to him through the trees - without sound, without a clue for him to find and any plain wolf to ponder over, without even a single cue apart from the strained feeling of his heartstrings in his chest. His throat felt tight; his stomach was empty, yet full of butterflies. Rook had to see him. He couldn't take it anymore.

The northeast borders had been marked again and, even if the rains had come to wash them all away once more, Rook didn't mind. After this little meeting of sorts, he would redo them as many times as it would take. As long as he was able to see the Macieo for just a little while.

His near water-logged paws brought him through the trees, weaving around the ones that bore his father's old scratch marks and stepping past branches where older trees were harboring their year-old saplings. He knew how to find the old river den by heart by now; but, his favorite way to get there was by making his way from the borders. His territory ended at the stream and from here he walked around until he saw the opening of the infirmary. His heart skipped a few beats as he sampled the air. Veho had to be around here somewhere.

Knowing better than to give himself away, Rook kept his tongue barred behind his teeth; but, in knowing what the medic could very well be up to, he wondered how long he would have to wait. Perhaps he and Titan were out in search of herbs or elsewhere gathering mushrooms. A twinge of jealousy raked over him and he frowned; perhaps if he were anyone else, it could have been him that accompanied Veho into the wilderness beyond the Hollow. Aunt Aniu and Sibyl had taught him some basics; and, even if his father wouldn't initially allow his lookalike son to take up the call of a healer, Rook had thought of it as a back-up plan... if Renier or Ryvet had thought to wrest leadership from their sister Trisden. Tradition, after all, stated that the position go from one generation to the other from father to first-born boy or any other eligible son.

The Leader sat down along the river bank in clear sight, settling to watch the water as he waited. Despite the worries that had cropped up since their last meeting, Rook held enough guilt and emotional weight in his paws to keep him on the shore. There would be no wading about in the river today. There was too many a beloved thing to leave behind. Additionally, he would not want to bring any other doubter's suspicions to light; Grizzly Hollow, within his paws, would not come to ruin if he could help it. It was his responsibility.

A sigh met the quiet babble of the creek, soon accompanied by a familiar sound - a hoot. Rook turned his head to regard a small owlet atop one of the nearby boulders. His brows rose and he shook his head at it, telling it not to come closer. It's wings stretched and it hooted again. The Lyall stood up to leave, pacing in a circle once as the little burrowing owl continued to watch. His paws dragged along the dampened soil; he did not want to have to leave the place without seeing his other significant other.

(This post was last modified: Sep 03, 2015, 08:44 PM by Rook.)

Chances are I have a BEN WHISHAW gif for that.
Played by Ace who has 462 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

South was not a direction that Veho usually wandered – if he took tally, it was usually towards the west.  Perhaps some of it was curiosity about the mountain where he’d had an epiphany.  Perhaps another part was a hope to see @Kajika again, for he credited the wolf with enabling him to make a very important decision.  And, deep down, perhaps that very small, shy part of him wished to see @Belladonna once more – how was she doing, he wondered?  Were her children still troubling her, or had the Ancestors offered her the aid she needed?  Alas, no matter how many times he journeyed, he’d not found his little angel again – discouragement steered him further south.  Discouragement, and a need to diversify his cache.

Despite Rook’s fears otherwise, the man traveled alone.  It was faster, required no communication, and allowed the man to sample his own trade on his return home.  A tune under the man’s breath, he honed for his medical cache to store his mouthful of fireweed.  He’d taken a special journey just for the vibrant purple flowers, used for treating wounds, especially those infected.  With the sweet scent tickling his nose, the man almost didn’t notice the familiar musk along the riverbank, pausing only when a familiar splash of grey fur caught the corner of his eye moving away.

Dropping his bundle upon the damp earth, he gave a short bark, demanding the alpha’s attention.  “Wait!” he called breathlessly, pale eyes starting to widen.  His tail wiggled behind him apprehensively as the wolf chuffed a second time, dropping his head.  “Rook…?  Did you wish to see me?”

(This post was last modified: Sep 03, 2015, 11:43 PM by Veho.)
[Image: vehopix_by_euphoriclies-d98a201.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

It would seem as if this was the little owlet that had first bothered him in the Spring, just before Tomen had been born and his little "nursery" had been fully built. Rook might not have believed it at first, seeing as the fluffy down feathers had been shed and in its place mature feathers of mottled tans and browns had grown. It's wide, saucer-like eyes were the same and, for one reason or another, it seemed familiar if only by the way the bird looked at him. As if it had hooted to say, "Hey! I know you!" Rook doubted now that it would leave him alone; it seemed much too eager to "catch up."

He was just about ready to lead it back into the depths of the Cedarwood when those anticipated footsteps came accompanied by that bark he had ached to hear. "Wait!" The Lyall spun about, half-startled by the sound of his name. There were no words, only that instinctive need to close the distance between them. He leapt to Veho's side, nearly stepping on the bunch of fireweed that had just been collected as he nuzzled his forehead into the medic's ribs and along that pale-furred shoulder.

"I've missed you," he breathed, his rounded ears perking up again as he kept a keen ear the woods at his back. As confident as he was in knowing that most of the family kept to the borders or somewhere deep within Grizzly Hollow, he still felt the need to be secretive and taciturn about his relationship with the medic. "I've missed you so much." The moments were many in number now in which his gestures and body language suggested that their bond was much more than one between a young Leader and his older subordinate. Now, the little peanut gallery of one nosy spectator wouldn't have initially understood or suspected this, but it made for something interesting to watch nevertheless. It stared with those moon-like eyes, fluttering down to the riverbank and pretending to mind its own business whenever it seemed like the duo were looking its way.

Though he could smell the grasses of Hush Meadow in the Macieo's fur, the quest further defined by the distinctive flowers of Fireweed Rise, Rook wanted to hear it for himself. He vowed to not bind Veho to him or tether him to Grizzly Hollow, but he still longed for that security to know what Namid's brother would not leave him... as she had. "Where did you go?"

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

A single breath, and the king was at his side – Veho allowed himself a relieved sigh, shoulders relaxing as he twisted to nuzzle into the younger male’s crown. His muzzle brushed over rounded ears as he gave a soft hum, every doubt disappearing in the presence of his sweetheart as if the other male was a single ray of sunshine cutting through the clouds. With a soft hum, ears swiveling forward to press his wet nose into Rook’s cheek, enjoying his company for another moment before speaking back up. “As I missed you, my dear,” he murmured, voice low, soft, even a little melodic as his tongue flicked out, brushing against the alpha’s lower jaw. The gentle kiss turned into a playful nibble before the medic finally drew back, casting his eyes to the fall sprigs of fireweed.

Smiling down at the bright purple flowers, tail swooshing in a wide arc before meeting Gaheris’ mismatched gaze. “I went down to Fireweed Rise – to collect fireweed, of course. The flowers are beneficial for wounds that have gotten infected, and I was not able to find them elsewhere. I thought to gather the blooms before they faded away. I would like the cache to be prepared before autumn arrives, and the chill of winter afterwards,” he explained easily, tipping his head towards his friend. It was Veho’s job, after all, and while he took it very seriously, it was the medic’s great passion. He could not still the itch in his feet, and seeking out herbs and flowers to return back to Grizzly Hollow’s stash – both for his use, and the other healer’s, as well. @Titan was welcome to anything in the hoard whenever he needed it.

A flash of movement caught the male’s eye and he tipped his head, realizing there was a burrowing owl down the stream bank. A chuckle burst from Veho’s lips and he bobbed his friend. “Why, look at that! I’ve not seen an owl like that in many seasons. Perhaps a sign of luck, dearheart! They are said to be very wise. Perhaps he will gift us some wisdom~”

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

The answer came to soothe Rook beyond the uncertainties that had come with the medic's brief absence. He had been missed and the journey into the east had been confirmed. Upon hearing that fireweed had been beneficial for healing - taking care of infected wounds, as a matter of fact - the Leader hummed a low note. Before he could continue in his want to hideaway in Veho's side, the Macieo's chuckle caught his attention and, in pulling away, he caught the gesture towards the burrowing owl. “Why, look at that! I’ve not seen an owl like that in many seasons." To this, Rook's head tilted to one side, one whiskered brow lifting upward. "Perhaps a sign of luck, dearheart! They are said to be very wise. Perhaps he will gift us some wisdom~”

Luck... The Lyall could have scoffed. He didn't. If the owl was a sign of luck it either had come much too late (seeing as his relations with Cut Rock River and Willow Ridge had come to disappointment) or spoke of something about Rook and his fortune of maintaining his family. Ever since he had constructed a den for Quil - and, later, Tomen - the little fledgling hadn't left him alone. Perhaps it had become his son's play mate in lieu of having siblings, but for the most part, Rook only seemed to notice it's prying gaze whenever he was alone in the evenings by the creek or in the middle of something he probably shouldn't have been doing. The latter was one of those moments.

"Perhaps," he echoed, his voice lilting over the two syllables. "Do you think it knows?" It was a valid question; surely wolves, foxes, and other creatures within Relic Lore weren't the only living beings who possessed a gift of awareness of other beasts. A lump edged up into his throat. What if it had a mind to tell Quil or Cinder of their affair? Was it even capable of petty things like tattling?

"I know it," he revealed, continuing to whisper. "It lives by the den, the one Quil and Tomen share... Been there since I built it, but It was little then... It probably recognized me... followed me here..."

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

Do you think it knows?

The male made a puzzled noise, briefly glancing between his partner and the curious little burrowing owl. In truth, he didn’t think the bird looked all that interested in what they were (or were not) doing, focused as it was on the edge of the creek. He had assumed the predator was looking for something to eat – perhaps a frog, or a small fish, was the owl feeling truly adventurous. If those wide eyes turned in the wolves’ direction, Veho only thought the small creature being vigilant. They’d not be the first canines to try and catch a bird for a snack, nor did he expect the owl was particularly willing to take that chance.

After several moments, he turned his attention back to the alpha, one light brow rising as his mouth quirked upwards. “I couldn’t say,” he murmured, unable to keep the smile out of his tone. “I don’t speak bird, I couldn’t ask. Though I would hazard to say he is simply keeping an eye on us, as any animal smaller than a wolf ought. Besides, he is a burrowing owl. They keep two mates, sometimes,” the medic informed Rook, expression turning a bit wry before he glanced back towards the creature. He’d seen them before, on the plains were he’d grown up – in fact, they were quite common there. Entire families would live in small ground nests. A male would take one or two mates, and raise all the children. Veho had never thought anything of it as a boy. It was simply the way the owls were. Live and let live, that was what his father had taught him.

“Perhaps he is looking for a mate himself. Or perhaps he feels safer were the wolves will keep other competitors away. There were many owls by the reservation where I grew up. They didn’t seem to mind the humans, much less us.” After a moment, he finally peered back at Gaheris, tipping his head to one side. “I don’t think it much cares, Rook. It’s hardly effected by it. Does it…bother you?”

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Rook's ears flipped backwards, worried for the time being as Veho humored him about not speaking bird. The Lyall might have smiled, but even if he had, it wouldn't have stayed for long. For as soon as the medic had told him about the burrowing owl keeping two mates, Rook's own eyebrows lifted. The expression that flit across his companion's face had not gone unnoticed, though; and, that alone had let the worry balloon in his chest. He met Veho's gaze, allowing his ears to cup forward and listen, “I don’t think it much cares, Rook. It’s hardly effected by it. Does it…bother you?"

The Leader winced, deep creases marring his face. He had never even thought to consider the idea before. Did it bother him? Thinking that the owl or someone else knew? "It's just the owl," he admitted, even if he could only be somewhat sure that the rest of the family had yet to pick up on their private rendezvous. While he was tempted to ask about humans, he kept quiet. He had heard about the strange creatures when he was a pup from his father, but had never thought more of them. In his head they were like any other creature - a bear, a coyote, a fox... - but hairless with a strange walk and a mind that is competent enough to set up traps. "I feel like it, if anything, would say or do something... and I just... prefer that no one sees us."

His mismatched eyes flickered over to where the bird of prey was still hopping about the water's edge, swearing to himself that the little pest was still inching closer and closer each time his gaze left its bland-colored feathers. He was determined to not look at it again when he next held the Macieo's gaze, even if the anxiety was still apparent in his face. "It doesn't bother you, does it? All this... what we have?"

Inactive No Rank
Veho Macieo

If it was just the owl, Veho was fairly certain the topic wouldn’t have been brought up at all. The alpha’s expression insisted it was something more, and not for the first time, the older male found himself thinking perhaps he really did not want to know. After all, wouldn’t he be happier were he to remain blissfully ignorant of Quil and Tomen? Perhaps if he’d remained an interloper, it would have never come to this – but if he’d remained a vagrant, the medic was certain he’d miss all these stolen moments in between the rest of their busy lives. It was a sacrifice he had been willing to make, an immolation he was still willing to offer up at the paws of the man who held his heart, it was a suffering he would continue to endure as long as his needs were continually met.

But something suspiciously like a qualm fluttered in his heart, delicate sparrow feathers brushing against his rib cage as Rook twisted the question back on him. Oh, Ancestors, it plagued him daily, it cursed him by the hour and made him sick to his stomach, knowing that he was willing to cast a blind eye to his own morals to fulfill his needs to be near the Hollow lord. But did it bother him, being with Rook himself?

“Gaheris, I would give anything for another day with you,” he answered resolutely, but something grew stormy in his moonlit eyes, rays hidden behind rolling clouds as he recoiled all the same. Veho had thought they be on the same page, but-- Perhaps he’d misunderstood something. If the younger male didn’t want anyone else to see, not even an owl—He’d told Veho of Quil, and perhaps Quil knew of Veho, but--

“Rook…are you ashamed of me? Have I…done something wrong?”

Have I displeased you?

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
...and Rook starts again with beating what could very well be a stubborn (not dead) horse... but *finally* the words have come out IC'ly for their sake and OOC'ly for the readers' sake.

Then there came all those comforting words, those little nothings that - in Rook's mind - were the foundations that he had to build and rebuild. If only he could keep those words and use them to cement the basis of their relationship, and not tear it down time and time again. Hadn't Veho already vowed to look after Rook? Hadn't the medic promised to keep him safe? Rook was the one who should have felt ashamed - how much more would it take for him to feel secure? ...to feel... loved?

“Rook…are you ashamed of me? Have I…done something wrong?”

The Leader's head bowed down and his eyes shut in remorse. When his mismatched irises came to focus on Veho's shoulder, he let out a small whimper, "Of course not." For a moment he seemed offended, taken aback that his friend would have pegged him for being mortified over their relationship. Had they both been human, Rook would have cradled Veho's face in his hands and kissed it several times over. "You're my partner, Veho," he crooned. "I don't think you could."

The owl let out a hoot but Rook paid it no mind. "Like I said," there was an inkling of a smile that shined through the anguish on his mask-like markings, "I'm a very selfish creature. I can't... I can't bear to openly share you." He moved in such a way that pressed his nose to Veho's, his lips grazing over that pale muzzle. "You're mine, and I'm yours. I just need to know that we're safe... here. I want to know that it's okay. We're okay."

His words had become weighted; when it had become so, he couldn't be sure anymore, but he would be ashamed then if he had to explain to his beloved that all he had been taught to believe was what had made him this way - that this two-sidedness part of him was what was making him so unsure. He was a Lyall and, whatever it was he wanted, he found a way to obtain it. To Rook, it did not matter if Pangur or God or the Holy Spirit or instincts themselves told him that a man and a woman belonged together and that their union was a law of nature. All he knew was that what he had with Veho felt just as right.

His tail gave a feeble wag, a sense of longing coming over him at last. It didn't matter now if the burrowing owl was staring right at them, obviously keenly interested in what was unfolding before his very eyes. "I want you, Veho Macieo, for who and all that you are. I love you; I could never be ashamed of you." He scanned the medic over, his face obviously anticipating some sort of affirmation.

There was a subtle tilt of his head that demanded his subordinate's utmost attention, "I know I can be needy. I know I can be insecure; but please, please know that you are so important. So important that I even told @Namid that we're together... You mean that much to me. Whatever this is, whatever this will be, I want more of it."