377 Users Online
Google, Bing, Apollo, Claw, Juniper

everybody sees you're blown apart — Leigh Glen 
Print · · Subscribe · 5 Loves ·
Played by Siki who has 208 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Belladonna Calor
@Merys <3

The sun was setting. It was probably time to be heading back, but it was so quiet and peaceful that she was utterly loathe to pull herself away. The gently crashing waterfall reflected in her eyes as she watched it, having sat there for so long that the sunlight which crept it from outside had gone from daylight blue to a soft yellow. It would only get darker from there, and she did not realise that, after dark, the fireflies would appear. She could have stayed there all night, and she was seriously considering it.

Three very young puppies were waiting somewhere deep in the thicket, cared for by loving parents and the wise Nina, and though Bella loved them as well as any packmate should - it would require the effort of every wolf to ensure that the trio grew up strong and healthy and safe - she couldn't help but feel... a little empty. This time two years ago, it had been her, and if asked if she would do it again, her answer would always be yes, utterly selfish as that was. One year ago, getting pregnant would have been a nightmare to compound on other nightmares, and this year she was no more than another able body in the Woodlands, her primary purpose to support Aideen and Miccah in their new foray into parenthood.

She still had her duckling, of course. He was all grown, or as grown as he would ever be, the sweet slip of a wolf having flourished in the thicket like he never had anywhere else. Bella was starting to think that he was more productive than she, with his regular supply of fish for the pack's reserves. Though the woman herself had become comfortable with the dense nature of the thicket, with its unique scents and wildlife and dangers and beauties, every now and then she would catch a glimpse of that grand peak through the foliage and her heart would ache.

Her gaze dropped to the water. Sat at the point furthest from the slender waterfall, the surface by her paws was almost entirely still, with only the barest hints of ripples to distort her reflection. Staring silently into her own eyes, Bella took a deep breath and let it out slowly, steadily, trying to calm her mind and not delve back into well-trod melancholic roads.

"Who are you?" she whispered, and saw her own lips move, saw her own ears twitch, and wondered.
Played by Dot who has 133 posts.
Inactive II. Subordinate
Merys Adroren
The scent of thickly clustered crab apple trees was overwhelming in Merys' nostrils. Even when he opened his maw, he could nearly taste them on the air. Spring was in full swing, and the day had been a beautiful one -- sunnier and warmer than all the rest before it. He had been following the base of the mountains that had dominated the sexyback timberlands west of White Fir Notch. If he could say one thing about this whole experience, it was that he learned that he loved having so much fresh water and foliage around him. I mean, everywhere. No matter where you turned, these lands were beautiful. He almost wasn't angry that only had to fight a bear to lay claim to them. Oh yeah, that? All in a day's work here in the Notch of the White Firs, he thought sarcastically to himself. He shook his head mindlessly to himself, he really needed to stop talking so much to himself.. This was just getting excessive.

His heavy paws brought him to the sound of running water. The day was growing late, and he was comfortable knowing he might not make it back to the bear's den tonight. A night off would not be such a poor idea. Plus, all things considered, it was almost intoxicating -- the peaceful nature of this glade. It brought calmness to the bitter wolf's mind; something that he had not been able to shake since his arrival here. He was not sure why his thoughts held on so strongly to distaste, but it was fading.. slowly. Ever so slowly.

The glade opened up then to show a shallow, but wide miniature waterfall. He moved to step over the high-rising roots of yet another crab apple tree, though as he did, his paw paused mid-air. Another scent was distinguishable through the sickeningly thick scent of the trees. That, and her obvious form peering over the water's edge. The water's edge had botryoidal patterned rocks to frame her, almost as though she was permanently part of the scenery. Her chocolate and coffee coloured pelt stood so still that when he heard her soft voice ask the water for answers, he almost considered not offering his own snarky one, “Oh dear, were you never shown water as a pup? My dear, that’s you in there, just you, I'm afraid,” he assured her, feigning genuine concern but letting enough playful undertones make it through so as to not have himself sound patronizing. Which, of course, would not be above him, it just happened to not be the situation right now.

I mean, sorta.

[Image: o8qr2qh.png]
founding member | 2016
Inactive No Rank
Belladonna Calor
Her solitude had lasted for so long already that she had become complacent in the belief that nobody passed this way. The sound of another voice from somewhere behind her was so unexpected that Bella visibly startled at it, head coming around towards the origin instinctively, ears up and eyes wide from surprise. But the voice itself had had no menace to it - just a gentle mockery - and when she saw the large earthy man peering in at her from among the crab-apple roots, she calmed, fur smoothing out again.

So her silly, childish question had been overheard. A little embarrassed, for she had only spoken aloud in the comfort of being completely alone, she hummed an amused tone at his teasing answer, turning her gaze back to the water briefly, as if to confirm what he had said.

"It appears you're right," she said quietly, her eyes lingering on themselves for a moment too long before she looked back at her unexpected company. Perhaps it was a good thing; she had spent far too long lingering in this secluded place, she had needed something to bring her back to the world. And better this than something more hostile. Though she had no way of knowing his intentions, she assumed that he had had the same thoughts as she upon finding the place - only the difference was that he had come upon it already occupied.

Smiling serenely at him, she wondered whether he would poke fun at her some more, and found the notion strangely appealing. Bella had been taking herself far too seriously lately, and her son was the only wolf to treat her with any kind of silliness; the Woodlands was a peaceable, content pack, but quite formal. She decided to give him a little fuel and see if the man would bite. Sometimes, insight came from the strangest of avenues. "That's what I was afraid of."
[Image: sw_by_euphoriclies-d8zep8c.png]
Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive II. Subordinate
Merys Adroren
The startled female's reaction gave all the pleasure Merys had needed from his sneak attack to feel victorious. He could not help but let a coy smile slip onto his features as she whirled on him, eyes wide -- the chuckle though, he managed to suppress. My self-restraint.. I deserve an award," he insisted, though right after lost the battle as he chuckled at his own joke. He was happy to see the female calm back down to normal, though. It was so common for folks to get sour at his antics, though Merys had hardly a concern about other wolves' lack of humour. Why, he hardly a concern about other wolves at all. 

She stated the obvious then, eying the water again. Of course I'm right, thanks, he agreed. She had a kind smile though, a refreshing change from his home. The pack of misfits. Brooding Gent, wish-washy Raela/cooped up new-mom Raela, weirdo Sylva, creep Ainashi, and himself, the anti-social one. Regular wolves didn't make it to the infamous bear den, it would seem. "That's what I was afraid of," she said, and Merys couldn't help it, she was pulling him in. "Oh no, come on, give yourself some credit! I mean-," he paused, grimacing as if yeesh, he had spoken too soon, "You don't need to be afraid of all.. that," he assured her hesitantly, not so sure of it himself though, motioning to her entirety with his nose. He turned his face away from her, upkeeping the allure of sincerity of his masked disgust, "You're not so bad. There's definitely worse! I mean, there are a lot better, of course, but nobody's perfect!" he assured her. Of course, it was all a farce; an attempt to make the femme laugh. She was not the ugly dejected daughter that he was trying to pat on the back, assuring she would find love someday. He played the part genuinely nonetheless, but his tongue was laced with play for anyone who picked up on sarcasm. 
(This post was last modified: May 16, 2016, 04:23 PM by Merys.)
founding member | 2016
Inactive No Rank
Belladonna Calor
This was not what she had been expecting today, to say the least, but as the man took the bait and rolled with it, Bella's expression quickly slipped into one of pleasurable shock; a mouth part-open, brows and ears high, eyes wide with disbelief that a total stranger would say these things and yet, most bizarre of all, finding that she enjoyed it.

You're not so bad, he said with exaggerated tones, so theatrical in his manner, and she couldn't help it. A single 'ha!' burst out of her, because this was possibly the first time in over a year that someone had really commented on her appearance - and the first time they had claimed to find it so casually repulsive. It was a good thing the woman wasn't vain, though it was an equally good thing that she believed the man to merely be jesting with her, because her ego was not that resilient as to withstand such unsolicited criticism from a pure stranger. Besides, her original question had had little to nothing to do with her external self, and it was less messy to just pretend that she had been pondering something so superficial.

"Do you really think so?" she cooed back, bringing a paw to her chest as though deeply touched, twisting her head back to look at herself in the water with a dramatic flourish of her own. "You are very kind! I had written myself off as irredeemable, but perhaps I can dare to show this face in public once more." Turning back to look at the man with his wicked sense of humour, she couldn't help but grin for a moment before forcing her face into its own stoic, serious mask, something which took a great deal of effort.

Looking him up and down quite deliberately, lips pursed, she shook her head from side to side slowly, judgementally, and then said, with regret in her voice: "It's a shame about you."
Inactive II. Subordinate
Merys Adroren
This thread is taking a different turn than we had planned and I’m loving it. – And I couldn’t resist the Disney reference, just roll with it. xD

The coffee coloured female’s jaw dropped, and he shrugged empathetically, as though he was sorry, but there was nothing he could do. His chocolate eyes were bright with interest; this encounter was beginning to be the highlight of Merys’ last few months. Except perhaps the time he knocked @Sylva into the water when they went fishing; her squeaks were entertainment to be rivaled. He wanted to burst into childhood laughter when she raised her paw to her chest, feigning support of his playful jabs. He inhaled sharply to keep his composure, raising his eyebrows and nodding slightly at her inquiry. He liked this cat. Finally someone that wasn’t uptight and boring. How had they become so difficult to find? Someone he didn’t have to calculate his moves around. She was a nobody, and at the same time everything he ever needed. There was a very real chance that his feelings of gratitude to her existence were a bit extrapolated due to his last few months of solitude, and then settling for White Fir Notch. Nonetheless, he would savour this opportunity for as long as he could.

He circled his nose as she explained her newfound will to go on, a true queen of drama.  He shook his head and agreed, ”Sure! Dare to dream!”

A moment of confusion fluttered through his thoughts when he realized the female was handing back his sass with spice of her own. She was lighting a fire from embers that had almost gone out inside him. Yes, he liked this one. A grand smile tempted to play his features once more, and it even won for a moment of two before he dropped his face to the side to hide it from her. He heaved deeply, eyes glazing over, as if she had opened dark, realized thoughts to flood his memories suddenly. He spoke quietly and solemnly, shaking his head slowly, ”You should have seen it. There was fire..” he raised to meet her gaze quickly, to ensure she was paying attention, ”Lots of fire,” then dropped it again – back into character. ”Lightning.. cubs in danger.. someone had to be the hero though, you know?” He looked up again then, working his best ‘pained soul’ expression. He shook his head in agreeance with her, ”Look at us, just a couple of misunderstood Quasimodos. Hiding in the depths of despair.” Depths of despair being the tranquil and elegant waterfall clearing that they found themselves in currently; he motioned to all of it with his sad, regretful eyes.
founding member | 2016
Inactive No Rank
Belladonna Calor
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME FIND HER FUN AGAIN I LOVE THIS THREAD SO MUCH HOLY CRAP ASLDSLDJFL

If she had been at all worried that the man wouldn't be able to take it as well as he gave it, it was needless concern. The look on his face flashed from surprise to gleeful and then back to serious, which, she knew by now, meant that she had to be ready for more. But rather than retaliate, he did as Bella had and turned it on himself, adopting a demeanour which was entirely too strong on the melancholy to take seriously at all. Not able to hold back her laughter as he performed most splendidly for her, Bella's shoulders rose and fell with each light giggle, nodding her head to his final assessment with a heavy frown and downturned lips which were clearly fighting the urge to grin.

"What a sorry pair we make," she agreed, pushing herself onto all fours and moving fluidly towards him, their shared mockery doing everything to make her feel comfortable with him. Stepping in front of him, she cocked her head for a moment as she observed him from this closer perspective, light shining in her eyes. "Oh, my sweet, at least you have a gallant story to tell for your hideousness," she crooned, reaching forwards to bop her nose under his chin, as though to lift it up, a reassuring action; "so take heart in your good, courageous nature! I was born this grotesque. Come, hide away with me in my hermit's lair, though I cannot promise that my soul is not as twisted as my flesh."

With a wink and a grin, she turned on her feet and skipped back into the cave, feeling airy and pleasantly silly, reminded of the time she had toyed with a stranger up on top of the Dire in much a similar way - and she was all the more grounded for it. How far would this silliness go before one of them reached their limit? She was very much in the mood to find out.
Inactive II. Subordinate
Merys Adroren
His let his smile return to his features, one to match hers and her soft laughter. When she moved towards him a feather of seriousness laced his thoughts. Females did not approach Merys; definitely not in this way. But he was sitting on the mini-high their encounter had given him, and he was happy to let her come closer. She had been enjoyable thus far, he saw no harm. She inspected him and for some foolish reason, he felt compelled to stand a hair taller, his gaze looking down at her, a childish smile still residing on his features. His chin was raised by hers, the intimate touch altogether foreign to him, though he allowed it to happen without pause. "I was born this grotesque," she said, and he snickered, though what followed next gave Merys pause.

He watched her turn and go, skipping lightheartedly away from him. His paws even followed a few enamoured steps before the hesitation caught up with him. What was he doing? This was totally uncharacteristic. Merys was not a young wolf, nearly five years old -- and yet, he had made it this far through life without ever confusing himself into any intimate female relations. Any external interest had stopped after his pack mates had realized his commitment to denial. They had never held allure to them either; there had always been an uncomplicated feeling of platonicy. He did not want for love or family or puppies. He had become so settled into his role as hunter and isolation from anyone who fell outside that pyramid that.. well, he had simply just forgotten about even the possibility. And he had been comfortable with that There had been no grievance for any perceived loss that his family members saw. Those feelings had never pulled to him. Why was he being filled with warm, sparkling cider in his guts now? 

His smile had faded slightly, though not entirely lost. Maybe he was overthinking her intentions, though they seemed unencrypted. His hind legs urged him to move forward, to chase and nip at her flank, to forget his inhibitions and let this new experience be new. Uncalculated. He laughed then -- mostly at himself, at this weird.. indecisive Merys that stood here. His laugh had a low tone, and he shook his head at himself, dropping his gaze to the ground. "I uh.." What? Maybe play was all it had to be, maybe that's all she meant for? He couldn't get his paws to move though. "Heh, um.. I'm sorry," he said, raising his gaze to her again, a genuine kind smile meeting her playful one. Hopefully she could see it was not an apology for her, but for his hesitation. His inability to clearly decipher what the problem was here. He braced for her to badger him for his.. what, shyness? He inhaled deeply, hoping the oxygen would clear his brain. 
(This post was last modified: May 17, 2016, 08:32 PM by Merys.)
founding member | 2016
Inactive No Rank
Belladonna Calor
Expecting to hear his deep, jesting voice in return, when nothing came and she glanced back to see him stood frozen, Bella instantly knew something was wrong. The limit had been reached already, to her surprise; from her perspective, he had started it, and she was merely rising to the game he had created, but perhaps she had misinterpreted him? Or perhaps he wasn't used to others actually responding to his mockery in kind, and didn't know how to react to someone willing to poke fun at themselves just as much.

The overt playful manner she had adopted smoothed away instantly, the theatrics replaced only with softness, because to make him uncomfortable was precisely the opposite of her intentions. If he was done, he was done. It only occurred to her then that there might have been more to read into their playful interaction than she first thought, being a creature of relative frivolity and innocence herself. If he had some mate back home who would object to his casually-flirtatious banter with a stranger then she understood, or if he had a pack, like herself, which forbade non-leader interactions, perhaps he adhered to it much more strongly than Bella.

Either way, it didn't matter. Her ears perked at his quiet, hesitant apology, her eyes meeting his as they rose, and she just smiled.

Once more she approached the man, though with a manner far different to the first time; more sincere, more calm. With the game paused (or stopped entirely) she took the time to really look at him, and not with the kind of fake judgemental manner as a few moments ago. Stood a hint taller than her, he was bulkier, a solid kind of wolf. His fur was rich with browns, like herself only a touch paler, with a dusting of greys around his muzzle and face which hinted at his age. Not that he seemed much older than Bella herself, still very much in his prime, but that he was not young and so carefree - that was fascinating and wonderful, that he had not abandoned his lightheartedness along with his youth. His eyes carried browns too, and behind them lingered hesitation and confusion. The last emotions she might have expected from someone so whimsical! But she could not place much stock in her first impression as it had only lasted but a moment, and here, already, he was showing more depth to his character, and she felt only privilege at that.

The warmth touched her expression again, and she reached forward until their noses were almost touching, but not wanting to breach that gap unless she knew he was comfortable with it. With barely an inch of air between them, her tail wagged calmly down by her hocks, her eyes bright, and all she said was: "It's okay."
(This post was last modified: May 18, 2016, 08:45 AM by Belladonna.)