609 Users Online
Google, Bing, Aven

Infinity — Shallows Edge 
Print · · Subscribe · 2 Loves ·
Played by Allie who has 208 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn
Mid Morning | Scattered Clouds, 84.2 ° F, 29 ° C | @Askan

Lyanna had always been an early riser, but since she'd joined with Shallow's Edge the fact was increasingly evident. More often than not she'd rouse before dawn, rising to her feet with a yawn to shake the sleep from her body and set out for the morning. For her, the best way to start the day was by meandering her way to the territory's meager and mysteriously beautiful lake to take a dip or sit at the bank to watch the way the sunlight glinted off the water. The shades of blue and green below the surface would churn ever so slightly - lightening along the edge of the shore and darkening toward the center - in slow motion. It reminded her of the horizon and the vastness of the sky and what laid beyond what the eye could see. What secret wonders existed down below in its depths? She was sure she'd never know, but she couldn't help but to revel in the way time seemed to stand still there.

Today after a refreshing swim, the tawny girl set her feet on solid ground and made for the borders.

By now she was beginning to feel a bit more settled here. The sights and sounds of the area were more familiar with each day that came and went, and at this point she was well-versed in the paths that led her to and constructed their borders. There was some pride to be felt in the way her own scent was now dispersed among those of her pack mates on the trunks of the forest's trees and shrubs and grasses. She knew all of them by heart, but had yet to put a face to the majority of them; she had it in her mind to change that as soon as possible.

It was Askan's signature aroma that hung most strong in the summer air as she finished up her first patrol. She hadn't seen him in a few days, not since the night he'd brought her home. He had probably been busy, as most Leaders tended to stay, but perhaps he'd be able to make some time for her today. There was something she wanted to touch base with him about, and the sooner the two of them could get to it the better...

It took some time to find a fresh enough trail but eventually she did. Stepping lightly, she rounded a number of bends before his dark form appeared through the foliage. Russet ears perking up, her voice broke across the morning quiet. "Oi," she offered, mimicking his rhetoric lightheartedly. Hopefully he wasn't feeling foul today, and maybe he'd even be happy to see her. She was happy to see him.

Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Ooof, I'm the worst I was supposed to put up a thread for you, wasn't I?

Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Askan huffed as he bowed down into a stretch, his tail flicking out behind him. These days he tended to linger in the northern reaches of his territory, where the forest was at its thickest. He had nothing to hide, of course, he was merely trying to keep out of the sun. The Shallows were all well and good, and the water was awfully refreshing but all that open space? Nah, when it was this hot he preferred to remain in the shade where he could go about his business without melting into a brown, goopy puddle.

He'd finished patrolling the area,so now that? He supposed he could find a quiet little nook and have a nap, but he didn't feel tired. Sleeping just to kill time seemed like a waste, surely there was something worthy of his time and attention. As if to put an end to his concerns, Lyanna appeared on the scene. Her eyes weren't quite as bright or as intense as Askan's, but even in the shade they seemed to gleam, like something ethereal out of a dream.

Askan's ears tipped forward as he stood upright, he then exhaled in amusement. Yeah, he supposed that was about right. He'd never appreciated being the focus of other's jokes, but she had a point. He recalled saying as much to her once or twice, it was a habit, he supposed. One his parents would have no doubt disapproved of... Not that it mattered, he was his own man and as such was free to think and say as he pleased. Assuming he wasn't a right dick head.

"Very funny." His tone was dry, but not completely humourless. "What do you want?"

[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn
You're actually the best, but I beat you to the punch! -from my heart to yours ;) Also, I'm brain dead today

She certainly hadn't intended to disrupt him as he were, belly to the ground in the shade. As he came to his feet, she couldn't help but to feel slightly shocked and very satisfied that he was even willing to get up to address her, as she'd seemed to have caught him while he was resting. It wasn't that she didn't give him enough credit or that she didn't believe that he was well-mannered. In fact, the opposite couldn't be more true. But something in the way he moved made her feel special then; and she didn't quite know why that pleased her so...

Her golden gaze found his as she approached from across the way. For a moment she searched his face, taking in the sight of him as his ears perked forward. Perhaps it was because she was more accustomed to them flattening on his head in annoyance at her words, but she found that she liked that, too...Was he finally warming up to her? Still, she knew better than to get ahead of herself, and with him, especially. Askan could become dismissive in the blink of an eye. But that didn't stop the warm smile that settled on her face and in her eyes.

"Don't get up for me, silly," she returned, making her way over to him. "-I was just coming over to plop down beside you, soak up a little of your shade." Yet another lighthearted poke, but in all honesty a nap didn't sound like anything but a wonderful idea after the busy morning she'd had. Lowering her tail and posture in what would hopefully be a pleasing submission, Lyanna thought to seek the underside of his muzzle with her own, hesitated and decided that was probably a bad idea, and settled on gesturing to the patch of grass he'd risen from as if to encourage him to settle back down. She quietly cleared her throat, and when she spoke her voice was as soft as it had ever been with him. "I was hoping to discuss something with you, actually."

She eyed Askan as though to seek permission before taking a chance and sliding to her belly a short yet reasonable distance from where he stood. Perhaps if she did, he'd be inclined to resume what he'd been doing before she'd sauntered in to interject on his peace and quiet.

Or maybe he'd think she was a little too comfortable and rip her a new one - who knew. It was really like rolling the dice and hoping for the best. In all honesty, she wanted to be able to be herself around him. To keep things genuine. To build a good and lasting relationship - a friendship, even - on a well-built foundation trust; the only way she knew how to was by being honest.

And so she tried.

(This post was last modified: Jul 30, 2018, 10:42 PM by Lyanna.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
we can be trash together.
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Askan shot her a pointed look as he tsked. "You give yourself far too much credit. I was stretching."

Which was true enough, but even if  he had been laying down he would've got up anyway. Whilst it was true he was a bit miffed that she stood taller than him, it wasn't his height complex that would've gotten the better of him. Rather, it would have been an old habit at work. Selwyns were supposed to be prim and proper, to set an example to the 'lesser beings.' Askan had never been that good at being polite but he knew how to hold himself, how to set his shoulders and level his gaze.

At her show of submission, Askan merely accepted it with a casual rise of his tail. He felt very little need to posture and to throw his weight around, in fact, he very rarely even bothered to do so at the Shallows. Those who resided in his pack tended to have a clear understanding of who was in charge, the idea of rubbing it in their faces was honestly rather unappealing. No doubt something Craw did when he reigned over his shit-show of a pack.

As she settled down on the ground Askan shifted the weight from one paw to the next, before he caved and planted his arse on the floor. He wouldn't lay down, but sitting was good enough, didn't seem so awkward. His tail stretched out behind him as his eyes narrowed, just a little, at her words.

Nothing good ever followed such hazy statement, he couldn't help but get a little suspicious.

"Go on..."

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn
challenge accepted.

"Of course."

She eyed him, her gaze holding its warmth as she watched him take him seat. Without skipping much of a beat she went on without beating around the bush.

"I'd like to undertake a role." She'd put some time into considering what she would enjoy doing, what she thought she was best suited for, and how she could best use her skills to benefit the pack. She had an average knowledge of herbs and their applications, was a decent hunter, and wasn't necessarily afraid or apprehensive of violence - but, none of those job descriptions really appealed to her. Lyanna was at her best under pressure, and could succeed in the face of adversity. And, she was quick. "If you approve, I think I could make an excellent scout."

Having just begun to settle down here, she wasn't in any hurry to leave out, by any means, but she was eager to contribute.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Much to Askan's approval, Lyanna was quick to get to the point. So she wanted a role? Well, he could respect that. Not long after the creation of Wild Rye Fields Askan had been quick to get to work, guarding and maintaining their new borders. He hadn't even really thought about it that much, it was just a role he'd gravitated to. Like it was meant to be. Could the same be said for Lyanna, or did she have an agenda hiding behind those pretty gold eyes?

There was a slight problem though, Shallows Edge already had a scout: Kieron.

It was tempting to dismiss her suggestion and nudge her in another direction, but it was obvious to Askan that they were two very different wolves who would approach the role in their own way. He imagined that in comparison to Lyanna, Kieron was far more subtle, better at gathering information than smoozing with the locals. None of the Shallows wolves were particularly friendly, maybe it would be wise to have a nicer, more social wolf to represent them from time to time. It was something to consider at least.

"And what makes you think that?" He asked as he arched a brow. "Excellent is a strong word. Do you have experience?"

Idly, he couldn't help but wonder where she was from. As a Tainn, he knew she had deep connections to this land, but it didn't seem as though she knew the land or it's packs very well. Was she a fellow outsider, or was there more to her than met the eye?

"Where are you from anyway?" He asked, offhandedly, like he didn't really care. He was just a little curious, that's all.

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn
You know, I edited my previous post last night for like an hour and I guess I didn't save it. It was supposed to be completely different. All the sighs.

Excellent surely was a strong word, and perhaps a little absolute. It was reasonable enough that he could regard her remark with some skepticism, but the truth was that she'd always been good at whatever she put her mind to. Giving yourself too much credit, his words echoed in her mind. But it was the truth. She was as determined and disciplined as they came.

Lyanna sat right up. She couldn't have a conversation with him from below eye-level, speaking of manners.

"A strong word, yes. I assure you, I can do anything I put my mind to." Hopefully he wound't mistake her confidence for arrogance. "I'm not experienced with scouting. But, I'm quick," she had the legs to prove it, "and I'm a practiced conversationalist." For what it was worth, as evidenced by her ability to make him cringe when she was feeling like being long-winded.

Lyanna searched Askan's face at his next question, her own expression curious. His eyes were as bright as the sun, contrasted by the rich inky hue of his fur.

"I was born in Relic Lore, to a pack called Secret Woodlands in the Thicket of Secrets. They're all gone now." She had been disappointed by that when she'd returned to find it abandoned. But she'd left her sadness over it buried in the shadows of the thicket, left it there to become of of it's secrets. "But I'm from Sequoia Vale, up north. I've lived a good life." A privileged one, at that, as the heir to Mirren's legacy. It was a fact she would be reluctant to reveal to Askan. She wasn't one to let pride define her, and she was fairly certain he wouldn't care either way.

"...What about you?" Where have you been to have become such an intriguing mystery?

(This post was last modified: Aug 01, 2018, 04:12 AM by Lyanna.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
feel free to have her recognise the sellys or not!
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Askan pursed his lips as he took in the sight of her, sitting all proper just as he was. Like they were equals. He supposed she might have a point, he hadn't seen her run but it wasn't hard to imagine that she'd be swift on her paws. How else would she have evaded the coyotes as a loner? She could hardly charm them into submission, though if anyone could it probably would've been her. Still, Askan was willing to admit that she had promise. He recalled that one of his former subordinates, Lenka, had been interested in being a scout too. But her tendency to 'get lost' had brought that to a halt , at this point he didn't even care where she was. The Edge Lords had given her a chance to redeem herself and she'd thrown it in their faces. She was no longer welcome, if she ever returned she'd soon realise that.

Secret Woodlands? He had never heard of that pack before, let alone the Thicket of Secrets, but he couldn't say that he was surprised to hear that it had fallen. Askan was always quick to cast his judgement, to pin the blame on others, but even he knew that sometimes...things had to come to an end. What was the point of trying to hold on when the pack was a shadow of it's former self? Wasn't it kinder to just...let it go? Askan scowled so fierce it hurt his cheeks. Since when had he been such a downer? Tccht, good thing Shallows Edge was as strong as ever. Like he'd ever allow it to fade into obscurity.

"Never heard of them" He shrugged, just a slight lift of his shoulders. Contrary to what Askan liked to think, he'd only seen a tiny portion of the north. After all, the Selwyns did tend to stick to their mountain so they could scowl down at the world below.

And then she flipped the question back at him and Askan had to bite back a groan.

The Selwyn name carried great weight up north, they were once a force to be reckoned with. Their bright yellow eyes were a badge of honour, proof that they were worthy of respect and esteem, that blue blood ran through their veins. When Askan had first arrived in Relic Lore he soon realised that his family's realm of influence didn't extend this far south, that like every other loner that wandered into these lands, he was a nobody. And that had suited him just fine.

But though, after all that had happened he wanted the Selwyns to be remembered, perhaps even revered.

"I'm a Selwyn." He pulled his tail around to his side, where it curled over his paws. At least now he looked a little less stiff, like he had a stick up his arse. "A fellow northerner, from the Selwyn mountains. My family owns those parts, has for generations. Came here...what, two years ago?" He tipped his head to the side, it seemed so long ago. Like he was a different man back then, though he supposed he was.

Inactive No Rank
Lyanna Tainn

It wasn't much of a surprise that he'd never heard of Secret Woodlands. By now, the pack was just a memory, alive only in the minds of those who'd been part of it. In a world so big, it had been just a blade of grass in a vast meadow. He went on to designate himself a Selwyn. Like he'd never heard of The Woodlands wolves or Sequoia Vale, she'd never heard of the Selwyn's or their reign of the mountain he'd come from. But she took his words for what they were worth - what they were worth to him - and found that she didn't doubt that his clan was a prominent one, somewhere she'd never been. It was easy enough for her to see that he hadn't been raised without regality by the way he carried himself, the way he spoke, or the way he didn't seem to pay much mind to things he didn't feel were important. And there wasn't anything wrong with that, by any means.

"I'll admit that I'm unfamiliar with the Selwyn name," she commented. "You're the first I've known. If they're at all like you, though, I don't doubt that the line is strong and successful." She smiled softly. In the time she'd spent with Askan, it had always been clear to her that he was nothing if not strong - missing toenails or not - and he'd obviously done quite well for himself. Shallow's Edge was solid, it's wolves loyal, and even his mate, Reyes, appeared to be equally as robust of mind and body.

"You've been around for two years - where were you before Shallow's Edge?" She didn't mean to pry, if continuing the current conversation meant that she was. Just trying to get to know him, was all.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
Shallows Edge
Carpe Noctem

Askan figured as much.

Reyes had told him about the Tainn worshipper that showed up at the borders the other day. If he ever met someone who spoke of the Selwyns like that he'd sooner knock them over the head than listen to such inane tripe. No matter how grand or regal a bloodline was , it hardly warranted such admiration.  At the very least, Lyanna wasn't one of those Tainns, she was actually quite tolerable in small doses, or so he would adamantly claim.

Askan couldn't help but snort at her words. Wow, she was laying it on pretty thick wasn't she? Had he been any other man he would have no doubt been rather flattered. A pretty girl paying him a compliment or two? Not the worst thing to happen, for sure. But Askan, being the obtuse grump he was, her words were like water off a duck's back. Still, at the very least he wasn't offended. His lips quirked up just a little as he flicked his ear, as though to shoo away her flattery.

"Uh huhhhh." He drawled, taking yet another page from his mate's book. " You don't need to kiss my arse, you know. I'll let you scout." She'd set herself up for that, even Askan couldn't miss an opportunity to be a little shit from time to time.

Yet another question, fuck she was nosy wasn't she? Askan wasn't really into talking about himself, but seeing as they were pack mates he didn't see the harm. It was a pretty open question anyway, she wasn't digging for secrets or trying to prompt him into talking about his feelings. It was simple, easy, made this conversation a little easier to stomach.

"Wild Rye Fields, up north in the Lowlands. They're our allies so you'll meet them one day, probably. Helped found the pack, then shit happened so me and Reyes left." The rest was history.