(See All?) Announcements
567 Users Online
Google, Bing, Enera

Ghost Town [S] — Secret Woodlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 364 posts.
Paradise Falls V. Subordinate
Flair Smoke-Athesila

A russet form was pushing through the thicket, leaving behind bright tufts of fur on the dense bramble. Her breath formed thick clouds in the cold air, adding to the heavy fog that already enveloped the woods and leaving behind pearls of moisture on the white hairs of her muzzle. Seemingly unperturbed – or rather, too stubborn to be deterred by the unfavorable conditions – the fiery wolf plowed on, gritting her teeth as thorns continued to grab and pull at her fur.

One had to wonder what exactly she was doing in this brush, clearly, she wasn’t built for it, broad shoulders and stubby legs in a constant fight with the tangled branches; and in truth she was repeatedly asking herself that very question. But she couldn’t turn around. Not now when she had come this far. These woods where her home – had been – once upon a time, when she was much too young to think about the logic of a pack of wolves living in a thicket. She couldn’t say what had drawn her back, she certainly hadn’t planned on returning here; Ever! And yet she was here, by whatever instinct.

Despite the past years, there was an almost eerie familiarity to the gnarly forest. By reawakened routine, her paws fell in on an old trail, overgrown now from disuse, and yet she recognized it, like a glowing beacon leading to her destination. And finally, the undergrowth seemed to be clearing, just slightly, a few rays of light cutting through the leafless canopy to clear the fog and reveal what had once been the center of Secret Woodlands.

A modest home, in fact, those who didn’t know it was here would most likely pass it by, thinking the collection of rocks to be nothing more. The scent of wolf had long since faded, but something about the place still sent an odd convulsion through the lone wolf’s chest, her ears perking forwards as she slowly circled the stone, walking to where the den entrance used to be.

Word count: 337

”Speech" Thoughts
(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2021, 01:55 PM by Flair.)
Played by WildFlower who has 86 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Nia Hervok
Nia had been marking the boarders by herself, per usual, at the time. It was hard to work to do alone and she couldn't of expected her mother to join her. The aging wolf was much better off working on the den. By now Nia figured the den should've been a work of art, but Danica always found something. Maybe it was part of becoming senile. Or perhaps she was just that picky. Regardless, the Hervok heir left her mom to it while she did the real work. Marking boarders despite snow, intruders, and being only but one. It wasn't easy, and there were many challenges. One such challenge seemed to find the girl that day.

A bright tuff of fur caught the winter Dame's interest. It stood our stark against the brambles. Nia reached her nose forward to give a good sniff before groaning. Was everyone nose blind to her attempts?! Was this just pointless?! Or did they not care?! She breathed deeply, inhaling and exhaling to bring patience to herself. Nia recalled her teachings while studying to become a leader. Slowly her bristled fur smoothed and she trotted off after the trespasser with a level head.

Although any sense of such had gone when she realized where they were heading. Quickly she broke out into a sprint with her tail raised. The winter dame let out a series of rough warning barks. It didn't take her too long to get there, rushing past the stranger to the den entrance. She whirled around to face them, an ever protective posture as she stood in front of their home. She bore her teeth, an ugly snarl overtaking her features. "What are you doing?"
[Image: Nia.png]
Flair Smoke-Athesila

She froze in place, only inches from the den entrance, ears folding back at the sudden noise. All her hairs stood on end, eyes going wide; The voice was definitely wolf, barking an intruder alarm. She felt cold all over; It can’t be...! And then she smelt it, faint under the snow and thick herbal odor that had always filled the thicket, but it was there, the scent of wolves. This place wasn’t abandoned at all!

She might have kicked herself for missing it, except she didn’t have time as a pale figure suddenly emerged from the bramble, streaking straight towards her. If Flair hadn’t just noticed the scent markers, she might have mistaken the stranger for an actual ghost, but now instead, she instantly went into defense mode, tugging her chin and squaring her shoulders. Her ears flicked back forwards, hackles rising as the bigger wolf came to stand between her and the woodland den, and when the stranger snarled, she instantly responded in kind, tail rising high behind her in defiance.

“Who the fuck are you?” She asked it almost deadpan, except for the threatening rumble constantly running underneath her breath. “What are you doing here?” She couldn’t believe it. She’d come here hoping she could finally put her mixed feelings to rest, but instead she was overrun by this stranger, acting like she had any claim on Flair’s childhood home.

Word count: 233

”Speech" Thoughts
Lone Wolf No Rank
Nia Hervok
The Winter Dame

The cream wolf stared down the other, scooting back so her butt blocked the entrance. Her hackles were bristled, ears pinned smoothly down to her cranium. A low growl spilled from bared teeth threatening the stranger to inch closer. Nia responded poorly to the question, rising her body up as high as she could. "You are not in the position to be asking questions. Why have you come to my den?" She wanted to tear into this red wolf, to send her out of the territory. A more rational thought process kept her at bay. Still she remained ever protective of the wolf sleeping within.

The woman snarled loudly at the second question, "I live here." With this she grew impatient and started approaching Flair. Her chin tucked to cover her neck and she came close enough that the space between them was hardly there. "What are you doing? She repeated her first question. Emerald orbs broke contact to sweep over this threat before returning. She was larger and younger than this woman. As far as Nia was concerned she held the upper paw in this situation.

A soft wispy voice came from behind, two misty eyes peering from the dark. "Aideen?" The old woman's head slowly came into view as she poked it out. "Aiden is that you?" The senile wolf smile with disbelief.

At the distraction Nia stepped off to the side and away from Flaire. She looked between the two, a concerning expression directed towards her mother. She bit her tongue and said nothing, her fur smoothing down. Slowly her anger ebbed and the only domaint thing about The Winter Dame was her lifted banner.
(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2021, 07:32 PM by Nia. Edit Reason: I thought Flaire was younger than Nia, fixing errors. )
Flair Smoke-Athesila

The other wolf was clearly in a defensive mood, like she was the one who had just been accosted. Flair returned the snarl with equal fervor, her bared teeth parting slightly, as a reminder of the devastating bite they might deliver if this wench didn’t back down. Which she was clearly not inclined to do, answering with anger as righteous as Flair’s own; Ridiculous! And oh, what an answer it was; YOUR den?!  But before the fiery shewolf could respond, her opposer moved closer, clearly attempting to intimidate. Of course it had no effect, the pale female might be larger than her, but Flair had fought bigger, and as she could judge she was the older one, with plenty of experience, fighting other loners for scraps.

She was about ready to lunge, when movement behind the other wolf caught her attention, there was someone in the den; Shit! A pallid face appeared from the darkness, eyes clouded with age peering out at the two. Her voice seemed equally frail, but the words were enough to make Flair falter; “I… What?” She had called her Aideen; What the..?! Dark lips curled back over her teeth in her confusion, raised tail giving a vexed swish. She sent the younger wolf a quick, suspicious glare, but she seemed to have stepped down in favor of this old woman. And so, Flair allowed herself to relax a little too, lifting her head and lowering her tail; “No I… You knew my mom?”

She kept alert for any movement from the aggressive female, but the old woman’s sudden appearance had quelled the younger wolves’ temperament, her fragile air seeming to demand some level of decorum, even from the volatile fire-wolf.

Word count: 285

”Speech" Thoughts
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A nearby creek is full to the brim with fish. +3 Health
Lone Wolf No Rank
Nia Hervok
Things were heating up fast and The Winter Dame was itching to lay her teeth into the red wolf. She was tired of being disrespected due to their lack of numbers. It took time to build a pack, and they had just started. All these loners were really getting under her skin. Yet, when the woman's mother made her presence known everything shifted.

Nia looked between the two wolves, her tail lowering into a neutral position. The stranger faltered, seemingly confused by her mother. She sighed softly and moved to gently nudged her mom's shoulder. "You should go back inside." She said softly, but didn't stand in the aged woman's way as she pushed pass.

Danica approached Flaire, tail wagging until the younger wolf spoke. Her smile faded and a puzzled look came to her features, "But you must be her?" Her wispy voice cracked and the delicate elder became visibly distressed. Nia quickly came over to her side offering kisses to Dani's head, "You need to rest." With this she managed to convince Danica and the old beast retreated back into the confinement of their home.

After she disappeared from sight the pale wolf turned back to Flaire, "I am sorry, with winter being here I can't get the herbs she needs. I don't know who Aideen is...but this is where my mother was born. We've returned to try and bring the pack back to former glory." The details ended there. She wasn't going to say that their numbers. This redhead could still be harmful to them. She sighed...debating whether or not sharing her name was a good idea. "I am Nia Hervok."
(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2021, 07:31 PM by Nia. Edit Reason: Fixing mistakes )
Flair Smoke-Athesila

The atmosphere seemed to change instantly; the previously so hostile blonde clearly concerned for this elderly companion. Flair glanced between the two, unsure how to react as the old woman came closer. But then the younger female ushered her back into the den, with a gentleness that would have seemed impossible moments before. Flair stared after the stranger, still rattled at hearing her mothers name, here in the now so eerily still thicket.

She didn’t even catch the first bit as the other started to explain, only tuning back in when her mother’s name was spoken again, amber eyes landing squarely on the emeralds and ears perking to attention. But what she said seemed almost incomprehensible, that the old woman had been born here; Must have been ages ago..! And yet as she kept talking, Flair looking deeper into those curiously colored eyes, something stirred in her, a vague recollection, and then the stranger finally introduced herself; Hervok! Grandma Nina… She remembered now, from a few fleeting mentions, that the old matriarch had once had children of her own; Though none of them stuck around…

And so she couldn’t help the bitterness in her tone as she answered: “There was no glory to Secret Woodlands.” A soft rumble of displeasure followed the statement, and the russet wolf gave a shake of her neck to relieve the tension. “Aideen was the leader here until… It all fell apart.” She looked away, suddenly overcome with a wave of grief. She wondered again why she had come back; There’s nothing here but loss… Still, she felt like she owed Nia a proper response, if her mother really had known the old woman; “I’m Flair, I was born here too…”

Word count: 286

”Speech" Thoughts
Lone Wolf No Rank
Nia Hervok
The Winter Dame watched Flair in silence as the other seemed to ponder things. The woman's ears pricked at the name but it was still a few moments before she answered. Nia's lips went into a taunt thin line at the harshness of the red wolf's reply. Her eyes narrowed at the woman and she briefly hesitated before answering, "Glory means different things to different wolves."

Nia studied how the woman reacted, noting the agitation. It made the blonde wonder what she didn't know. Her mother hadn't been well most of if not all of Nia's life. Her mental state had greatly varied in stability. Perhaps there was much she was clueless to. She'd never even met the grandmother she was named after. "I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure if this place means anything to you anymore..." She trailed off considering her next words delicately. "But it is my mother's dying wish to bring Secret Woodlands back." Her tail offered a slow unsure wag.

Her ears shot up and she smiled with curiosity, "I'd love to hear...about what the pack used to be like. If you have the time?" Her excitment got the better of her, but the Dame was quick to straighten up. "Forgive my enthusiasm." Perhaps she owed another apology as well? "I'm sorry for how I greeted you, but you must understand? I scented a stranger moving to the den..." She looked over her shoulder to where her mother slept then back. "I didn't want her hurt."
Flair Smoke-Athesila

She couldn’t help but snort at the girl’s righteous response, her ears flicking backwards and nose wrinkling in distain. Clearly Nia knew very little of the history of the Woodlands; But then, how could she? If the old woman was her only source, all of Flair’s own life in the thicket would lie after.

She cleared her throat, ears flicking back forwards as Nia continued to speak, though her words continued to rub the fiery shewolf the wrong way; Whait it MEANS to me is pain and misery! She wanted to snap at the pale woman, but somehow managed to hold her tongue – perhaps because of her elderly companion in the den. Her mother, who wanted to bring Secret Woodlands back. Flair felt an icy touch creep down her spine, making the hairs stand on end. It was like an old nightmare returned to haunt her in the flesh; Why? Why would you…? But Nia stood there, wagging her tail, asking to hear stories of old times like it was nothing, pleasant memories to share with a stranger! Flair shook her head, ears once more pressed back against her skull, though this time her expression was a mixture of anger and hurt.

Once more, she was stopped from snapping at the other girl at the mention of the old woman, her heart growing heavy at seeing how Nia cared for her mother. So rather than shouting, she simply dismissed the questions quietly: “Like I said, there was no glory to Secret Woodlands.” She glanced towards the den, feeling her shoulders sag, knowing what the other girl must be going through with her mother; “If you wanna start a pack here, go ahead, but don’t revive the Woodlands,” She looked to meet the other shewolf’s eyes, those eyes that brought a splash of warm almost-familiarity into her cold heart; “Make it your own.”

She glanced over her shoulder, out into the stillness of the thicket, heaving a deep sigh. Then she turned back briefly; “I’ll be outa’ here soon enough, just got one more stop to make.” She had finally realized her real reason for coming here.

Word count: 356

”Speech" Thoughts