eat a thousand crackers, sing a million hymns — Dead Empress Backwater 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ghost who has 613 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle
This thread is forward dated to March 23rd
for @Vayko @Clover and @Vanadis
Late afternoon, Broken Clouds, 26F/-3C

The other day had been a false alarm, when he thought that Vayko had figured out his ‘mistake’. Viorel had still been oddly hoping that one of his little...encounters would not take, but this morning when he had woken up it had been clear. Now both Clover and Vanadis carried the scent of the growing lives in their wombs and it was time for Viorel to face what he had done. Before today he had felt worried, almost ashamed at his lack of control, and concerned that Vanadis would want nothing to do with him anymore.

As per usual, the sale and pepper wolf had now swung way in the other direction, straight to arrogance. At least when it came to Vayko, with the women Viorel still felt the deep worry, would either of them ever speak to him again? That was the biggest concern, they could just leave and never talk to him again because of what he had done. He would lose his friend in Clover and his… girlfriend in Vanadis. But Vayko? Sure, he was going to be his co-leader in a month when he’s old enough, but now? Right now his cousin was his second, he could be mad all he wanted but he didn’t currently have the power to tell him what to do.

This was his mentality going into what he was sure was about to be a blow up. He had managed to avoid everyone since he had woken up late this morning, but as the day wore on he knew he couldn’t keep this up. Approaching the backwater which was now definitely well into its melting phase his yellow eyes swept over the territory, his territory. They had wanted to escape the watchful eyes of the council telling them what to do, and he sure as hell wasn’t going to trade that in for his cousin telling him what he had to do all the time. Lifting his muzzle to the sky he called for the four of them, this wasn’t going to be fun.

Played by Tasha who has 305 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vayko
what i really need now is a double shot of crown

Vayko was not amused. It had been after the hunt he had caught Clover’s scent change. He had been relieved, truthfully. He had been the one to tell his cousin to get busy and all that jazz, but what he hadn’t told him to do was run around and knock up both of the floozies that resided with them. They had this conversation before they had formed this pack. One litter was enough, but his cousin just had to go and be an overachiever like always, didn’t he? He said nothing for now. It was something of a test and he had been stewing in it for the past couple of days.

He was waiting for his cousin to call him to talk about it. He was waiting for him to have the nerve to talk to him about what he had done… he had never thought Viorel of all people to be a floozer but his opinions had certainly changed. Could they even support two litters? What if each of the women had four pups? How was a pack of nine supposed to feed 8 hungry mouths? There was plenty for Vayko to worry about and he just couldn’t believe his cousin had been so irresponsible.

And everyone thought Vayko was reckless.

He heard him call and he made haste towards him, a neutral expression on his features when he noted he arrived before the others. He hadn’t miss who else had been called and he knew exactly what this was about. “Finally decided to come talk to me, did you?” He responded dryly. "I thought we understood each other. 'One litter is more than enough'... apparently you decided to change that without talking to me." This was supposed to be a partnership, but it didn't quite feel like it right now.

Played by Pinn who has 136 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater VIII. Subordinate
Vanadís

When her scent began to chance, Vanadis simply tried to wash it off. She'd thought that perhaps she'd come across it somewhere else, and that it could have clung to her coat, but no amount of cleaning changed the inevitable. When she had finally accepted that her night with Viorel had lasting consequences outside of their newly acquired relationship, she felt fear. What would he think? Whatever they were, it had hardly been given enough time to feel solid, and if he decided that the pack couldn't have another litter, or that he didn't want a pregnant girlfriend, what then?

Viorel's voice filled the air, calling for Vayko, Clover and herself. It was strange, feeling dread when he called her name. Oh Gods, it was going to be so weird and awkward. Perhaps she should leave, sneak off into the sunset and never return. Ughhh. One unwilling step after another, Vanadis made her way towards the sound, stopping just out of sight to steel herself for what would no doubt be a difficult conversation. Ok. She could do this.

Vanadis approached quietly, as though she might be able to go unnoticed if only she were quiet enough. She caught the end of Vayko's rant, hearing his proclamation that one litter was more than enough, and that Viorel had changed that without talking to his future co-lead. Great. She chose to keep her distance, and wait to be addressed before speaking.

(This post was last modified: Mar 24, 2021, 04:18 AM by Vanadis.)
Played by Melorama who has 386 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater III. Medic
Clover Assana
She had been almost relieved when she noticed her scent had begun to change, worrying that maybe her and Viorel's coupling had not taken and she was not carrying the litter she had agreed upon with him oh so long ago. However, it had only taken a couple days after which she had come to the realization that another's scent had also changed, and she could only assume Viorel had taken to the only other female who he was not related to, as it had been her understanding that Vayko had no intention of fathering a litter this year.

Clover was unsure of her feelings about the whole thing, as the whole point of her carrying Viorel's pups was because there had been no one else at the time, but it seemed he had found another. Maybe she was not enough? It stung a little, knowing he had done so without even considering to mention it to her, but he was his own wolf and could make his own decisions. Her head lifted up when she heard him call out not just for her, but his cousin and also Vanadis. It seemed he had finally decided to talk about it, even if it was a little late.

By the time she reached him the other two had already gotten there, and she noticed Vanadis standing off to the side. She had little idea of how Vayko felt about everything, having missed his little rant, but from where the pale woman stood she could assume he was not happy. Knowing that it was not her fault for what had happened, Clover made her way over to the other woman with a small smile on her face, before turning her attention to where Viorel and Vayko stood, waiting for one of them to speak.
Viorel Valle

Vayko’s expression was neutral but Viorel was not dumb enough to miss his dry tone and the sarcasm behind the words. Breathing deeply in his nostrils he waited to speak, allowing his cousin to say everything he had to say. He might have jumped in and berraged him in the fact that technically he didn’t need to speak to the tawny man about anything for another month of so, but Vanadis came upon the scene before he had a chance. The appearance of the cream woman, and Clover who came shortly after that, steadied his temper, and his arrogance.

Moving over to where both women stood, Viorel embraced Vanadis warmly, running his muzzle along her neck and humming in a way he hoped was comforting. Finding himself now standing between the pair of them, he also nibbled playfully on Clover’s shoulder. It was an odd dynamic, and this was his first real attempt at navigating the waters of his pregnant girlfriend standing right next to his pregnant friend. Looking back to Vayko he said calmly, ”I’m well aware of what we discussed.”

Had Viorel been a bigger wolf he may have moved to try and intimidate his cousin physically, but as it stood they were the same height and the salt and pepper wolf barely outweighed his cousin. That left only his words, and his frank honesty. Sighing he shook his head, ”Do you think we really planned this? I can’t speak for Clover or Vanadis but I’m sure neither are thrilled to be in this situation either.” Taking a moment to choose his words carefully, he knew there was no talking his way out of this, and he just needed to own up to it.

Stepping away from the women, so he stood kiddy corner to both them and his cousin he met each of them in the eyes for a second as he spoke. His tone was earnest, and apologetic, but firm in his conviction, ”I am honestly sorry that I put everyone in this spot. Clover had offered months ago to help the pack with pups and for that I am eternally grateful, when we laid together it was before things with Vanadis and I had become romantic.” Now he paused, and waited for Vanadis to meet his eyes, for this was just for her, ”But, I don’t apologize for being with you. I did not mean to deceive you, or make you feel weird, and I really do like you, romantically. And I won’t apologize for exploring where things go with us.” Vayko was not the only one who was probably pissed at him. And frankly, after this Viorel knew he would have to address the pack. Cool.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vayko

Vayko had no doubt that there had been no thinking involved in his actions. He might not be old enough himself for such acts, but he had certainly received that conversation from the adults. He snorted softly as he countered coldly and Vayko sighed softly. The question came about and he simply stared at his cousin. “I have no doubt that what you did was an accident, Vi.” He countered flatly before he sighed, shaking his pelt. He started to apologize and Vayko simply listened, letting him explain his thoughts.

He could do without all the back and forth. He could honestly do without all of the lovey dovey stuff too, but he remained silent on that. “It’s too late to bicker about right and wrong. It’s too late to change what you lot have done. What we need to do now, is damage control.” He sighed softly. “We need a plan, Vi. We need to figure out what the fuck we’re going to do if we end up with more pups than adults this spring and how the fuck we’re going to survive that as a pack if that happens.” He explained, because by his math, there could be two pups, there could be 10, and if the number was on the bigger end he wanted to make sure the empire they had planned together didn’t crumble before he had the opportunity to take his crown.

It was all a mess, if he were honest. Many reasons why Vayko never planned to get himself a floozy, and he certainly never planned to be a father. Floozies were nothing but trouble and this all proved it even more. “It’s fine and dandy if each of you only have one pup, maybe two.” He was addressing everyone rather than just his cousin. “But if we have more than that, Vi, you have to recognize this is going to be a problem. There’s only nine of us, seven if you don’t include Vanadis or Clover because after they give birth they’re going to have to take time out of their usual activities to rear these cubs… seven of us for five or six pups? We don’t know how these consequences are going to affect us until these cubs are born so we need a plan.”

Played by Pinn who has 136 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater VIII. Subordinate
Vanadís
Vanadís Argyris-Archer
I didn't mean to write this much. I'm so sorry.

She leaned into Viorel's embrace, but little comfort was gained by the gesture. Discomfort wasn't a feeling she was particularly accustomed to, and she was learning pretty quickly that it wasn't one she ever wanted to have again. Unfortunately, the day seemed to hold a few more uncomfortable revelations, though really, if she had wanted to be a little more perspicacious, she wouldn't have been so caught off-guard by Viorel leaning over to nibble on Clover's shoulder. Things clicked into place pretty quickly after that, and for the first time, Vanadis was forced to see what she had done her best to ignore.

The wolf was silent as she half-listened to Viorel pleading his case, tending instead to the storm that raged inside her mind. Her eyes danced between the attendees, from tawny, to white, to black, and back again. How had she gotten herself here? This wasn't the kind of excitement she'd had in mind when she first followed Vi home, and yet she'd found herself smack dab in the middle of what had to be the weirdest situation she'd ever been in. Her boyfriend had slept with another woman in an attempt to bring cubs into the world just days before he'd slept with her, and now what? Were they going to live in some strange not-exactly-a-thruple-but-kind-of-a-thruple... partnership? Was he going to spend every other night with Clover and her kids? Every two nights? Like.. what did this whole thing entail, because regardless of what Vayko might think, Vanadis wasn't some side-floozy. In the end, she concluded that perhaps her mother was right. Boys were more trouble than they were worth, and they existed solely to weaken one's resolve.

Then came Viorel's apology, first to the group, and then to her alone. She knew it was genuine, and that he really hadn't tried to deceive her, but that didn't stop her from wanting to be mad, because it hurt, and she wanted him to hurt too. She wanted to give him a reason to be angry, so that in some roundabout way she could justify the rage knotting up her insides, but this time had to be different. There were bigger things to worry about now. She couldn't just throw a fit and storm off, or bite back some snide remark. This was real life now. Vanadis was a big girl, who had clearly made big girl decisions, and she was going to have to learn how to handle things like an adult. Thus, in a display of emotional maturity far beyond what she thought herself capable of, Vana simply sighed. "It's ok. You weren't exactly trying to hide it." And he hadn't. He had spent a great deal of time with Clover in the last few days. She should have caught on sooner, but in the throes of young.. like, she'd simply overlooked it.

Vayko began his rebuttal, saying what Vana had no doubt they were all thinking. The pack could support one litter, but two? Two was a stretch. She knew it, they knew it, and so would their packmates. In fact, that had been one of her fears before this whole shit-show of a private meeting began.

"Stop." She was tired. "Stop, it's fine. Don't worry about my cubs." She'd barely had time to consider the fact that she was even having cubs yet, and they were already running through the list of problems that they would cause. "I can do it myself." Probably. "I'll spend the next however long stockpiling the caches, and as soon as I can leave the den I'll start filling them again, and patrolling the borders. You won't lose me to rearing cubs. I can handle both, and if I can't, or you think that we're a drain, or whatever, I'll take them back to the Loch as soon as they're able to travel. No one else will have to suffer for it." That would hurt, but she'd do it if she had to. "I didn't know about Clover when this whole thing started." Her gaze flickered over the group, before settling firmly on Viorel. "But even if I had, I would have made the same choice. I'm not sorry it happened."

There's a serpent in these still waters, lying deep down.
(This post was last modified: Mar 26, 2021, 10:40 AM by Vanadis.)
Played by Melorama who has 386 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater III. Medic
Clover Assana
Also sorry for this long post!

Viorel stepped towards her and Vanadis, and she was a little put off at his very open display of affection, leaving little doubt in her mind of what was going on. She had been confused at their interaction during the hunt, but the pieces all fell into place now. In a way, it hurt a little more knowing that him and Vanadis were so close, as she was forced to realise that it had not been an accident in the way she had first thought. She accepted Viorel's playful nibble to her shoulder, but offered no affectionate gesture in return, wanting him to know that she was <i>very</i> unhappy with everything at that moment. While she was not a wolf to hold any grudges, she was very good at displaying her emotions, particularly when they were unhappy ones.

She stayed silent as he spoke to Vayko, and still kept her mouth shut as he stepped away and apologised to everyone. Clover felt her body tense when he spoke of things between him and Vanadis being romantic. Having him say it out loud so confidently did little to ease her mind, and she felt almost... <i>replaced</i>. Had her comfort not been enough for him? She knew there had not been a spark between them, but it felt almost as if he had gone behind her back and reneged on their deal. Had she known he and Vanadis would have gotten together she would not have agreed to carry his pups. This was all turning into a nightmare.

Clover was glad when Vayko began to speak, as it gave her time to think over what she wanted to say before she blurted out anything that would do more harm than good. She agreed with his reasoning, knowing that it was hard enough to care for one litter if it was particularly large, but two litters would be even more challenging given how few of them there were. She glanced at Vanadis as the other woman spoke, brows raising at her words. As much as she was unhappy with the situation, she would never place the burden on Vanadis, nor agree with the woman taking her cubs away to care for all on her own. "I'm sure it won't come to that," she said in a hopefully confident tone. "But I will also do as much as I can around rearing my pups. I will not neglect my duties once they are old enough for me to leave the den, I can assure you of that," she said, turning back to Vayko and Viorel, determination in her gaze. It would be challenging, and most likely exhausting, but she would make the best of everything and do her best to contribute to the pack as well as care for her pups.
Viorel Valle

It wasn’t missed by Viorel that Vanadis leaned into his embrace, while Clover accepted his nibble but did not even look at him in return. His heart sunk low into his stomach, this whole time, maybe naively he had been more worried about his girlfriend’s feelings than his friends. This was his very first dabble into this dynamic that he had created and already he was making it even messier than it had been to begin with. Vayko seemed at least to realize that the double pregnancy had not been a deliberate plan to go against what they had discussed. It was a small win, but in this meeting the salt and pepper Valle would take whatever small wins he could get.

His apology was stated and there was not much more that he could do but listen to everyone and try to take it all in. Vayko did not comment on it, and neither did Clover, but it was just relief when Vanadis spoke. He was not completely pleased with the fact that it was clear that she was placing the blame of it on herself, because he felt that was a shame he should have alone. He also wanted to pace forward and embrace her again, whisper some magic words in her ears that would heal the hurt he had caused. But, his feet remained rooted in the spot. He knew if he embraced Vanadis alone and not Clover it would risk completely severing their friendship. He hated this.

But, there were more pressing matters at paw now. Nothing that Vayko said was a lie, there were a lot of logistical problems as well as emotional. He had no solutions, no real ones, but before he could try to brainstorm anything the women had jumped in. Looking towards the white wolves in shock his voice was adamant, ”Absolutely not.” Shifting on his paws into a more secure stance he repeated, ”Absolutely not. Neither of you will need to raise the children alone, I would run myself to the bone before either of you have to leave. I may have made a mess of things now, but I intend to do everything I can to be here for both of you, and our children.” He wasn’t going to let his kids grow up without a dad like he and his siblings have.

Vanadis’ words softened his eyes a little, and he said nothing but it meant a lot. Looking back to Vayko he sighed, ”I can’t tell you that I have all the answers, or any of the answers really. But I will do my best to make the pack stronger, I’ll recruit more members if that’s what we need. Or whatever the solutions are that we come up with I will put my whole heart into.” He meant it, he didn’t know what the solution was, but he wanted one, he wanted anything to make it better.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vayko

Viorel had read his mind, ironically enough at the reaction he had received. “Both of you are carrying Valles and that means both of you and all of your pups will have the support of this pack, no matter what.” Family meant a great deal to him just as it did to everyone else. This pack was a family, even if Vayko had a funny way of showing it at times. He would never allow one of them to go off and try and fend for themselves. It took a village to raise a child, and they would have to make due with what they had, it would just be a challenge. “This isn’t about condemning actions or judging.” Though Vayko was certainly an expert at both. “This is about figuring out a sustainability plan now that what’s done is done.”

He could be smart when he wanted to be. He turned his attention to the only two healers in the pack. “One or both of you are going to have to educate someone else in birthing medicine… you’re both our healers, and while you could practice on yourself, it would be better to have another wolf there whose trained to deal with different situations that arise with birthing.” He might not know a single thing about plants, but he knew that they were sometimes necessary and always helpful when it came to delivering pups. He wracked his brain for more thoughts. There was plenty to figure out now. He turned to Vi next. You are going to need to address the pack, and the sooner the better. Have you spoken to my sister yet about any of this?”