(See All?) Announcements
338 Users Online
Bing, Miriam, Google

the planets bend between — Lost Lake 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade who has 850 posts.
Paradise Falls III. Second
Chan Eastfall
Random Event: An avalanche has made travelling in Serpent's Pass particularly difficult! Be careful!
For @Jethro only, they would have left 'last night', the 16th - it's up to you if Jet brought anything along for FGC too.

It was as though the mountain knew he planned to leave it entirely and was desperate to keep him from it at all. The very path that Chan and Jethro needed to make their way down into the Vale of Secrets had been torn asunder by a large avalanche. It hadn't deterred the Cove's scout, but certainly had lengthened the journey down the mountainside considerably. Daybreak had come and gone, and still the forest below seemed so far.

While the sentiment would pass, Chan was currently regretting choosing to carry two large pelts over his back. The steep angles at which he often had to travel caused them to drift forward, placing undue weight at his neck and, once or twice, sliding off entirely. While he'd wished to take this new neighbor some medicinal aids as well, he was grateful now not to be further encumbered. They hadn't anything to spare, anyways - the Cove wolves had been keeping @Aquene and her stores quite busy.

"You doin' a-," Chan had been carefully picking his way down, eyes trained forward and therefor unable to see how Jethro was faring. His paw hit a patch of ice and he slipped forward with a clack of his jaws that cut off his inquiry.

"Ha."

He regained his footing, and turned his head to seek out his fellow ambassador.

"Doin' alright?"
(This post was last modified: Jan 19, 2022, 05:41 PM by Chan.)
[Image: 5BdYuOb.png]
Played by Molo who has 452 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Jethrᴏ Kane
It was nice to be heading beyond the confines of the cove, and the mountains, once more. Even better when it was for a purpose that was officially approved by the pack, though. He’d enjoyed the first trip with Chan down that mountain to meet those.. Empress wolves, had it been? So Jet would’ve been foolish to pass up on the opportunity to head out and meet another pack.

He’d have the chance to learn something about them, see new places, and maybe keep an eye out for Nori, as well. Mostly, this was about the former two things, though, for it did not seem like Nori was ever coming back.

Chan.. was different than the last time they’d set out though. For one, he was no longer the leader. And secondly, he was.. missing a portion of himself. The Eastfall man had lost a part of his tail, something that - in retrospect - Jet was surprised hadn’t happened to him, considering. And it made him feel a little more guilty, for not being there to help with that cougar.

All things considered though, the former leader seemed to be faring well enough, especially given the particularly treacherous conditions through which they now traveled. At least until he slipped on a bit of ice and nearly face-planted because of it. Jet slowed to help his companion, but the other was able to find his footing again and laugh off the incident.

”Yah,” Jet grunted around the plump hare he’d brought, opting to set it down a moment. ”Shoulder’s just a little sore, but nothin’ I can’t handle,” that damned lynx had cut a little deeper than he’d realized in the heat of battle, though everything was healing well enough. The slight sting was nothing more than an inconvenience, at this point. Before too long, it’d just be another pair of scars to add to the collection.

”You doin’ okay, too? Cause, if ya wanna swap, or give me one of them bundles for a while, just say the word.” Jet added after a moment. He’d watched his companion struggle at times up until this point, and though he didn't want to offend or question the other man's ability, it felt like he ought to be carrying a little more than one hare.
Chan Eastfall
Chan frowned briefly in sympathy as Jethro mentioned his injuries from the latest feline thief. He wished he had been present for the fight, to take on some of that pain and in doing so lessening others' share, but he also knew it was something he and they would both soon need to be accustomed to. There would be much that the Cove would go through without him.

"I think that's a good idea," he conceded with a grin, before turning to pull at the skins with his teeth. He was unlucky and both slid off of his back. Chan tilted back his head and let out an exasperated sigh. That was about all it took to get over it, the smile back as he picked up a pelt with his teeth and began to shake it with great jerks of his head, knocking the snow back off it.

He pushed through the churned snow to cross the short distance between them, and draped the fur over his companion's back in one fluid motion.

"Keep ya warmer anyway. And I'll take the hare the rest of the way. Or maybe we could just like throw it down and roll the rest of the way?"
Lone Wolf No Rank
Jethrᴏ Kane
The other man’s countenance was contorted by a frown for the briefest of moments, but that was the end of concern for injuries. Which was quite fine, by Jet. That was life, and it wasn’t a huge deal, considering this slower pace anyway.

Thankfully, though, the other agreed to share his burden, and with just a little bit of difficulty at first, managed to drape one across Jet’s back. And almost immediately, his companion’s words proved true. It was warm. He chuckled, which was brought on by the thought offered by Chan, pertaining to the rabbit.

”I’d be good with that,” he offered with a shrug. ”This is nice, too. Appreciate you warmin’ it up for me.” The extra insulation definitely made a big difference, almost enough to compensate for the added weight and how it affected balance.

”Damn, I’m gonna miss you, man. As my leader and my friend.” It was impossible not to bring up or think about. Jet didn’t fault or disparage the other at all for his choices, and eventual decision to leave. He didn’t want an explanation or an apology. On some level, the dark one thought he could even understand it, but the thought of another of his friends leaving hurt. ”But I want ya to know, I’ll be forever grateful for everythin’ you’ve done, for me.”

Chan’s example had provided a role model Jet hadn’t known he had wanted or needed, but in retrospect now, knew he was greatly appreciative of. Being accepted and trusted meant more than he believed anyone here could ever know, and could not really be expressed with words. At least not any that he could think of, at the moment.
Chan Eastfall
"It's nice, right?" Chan returned with a widening of his grin as Jethro remarked on the coziness of the pelt. He didn't expect the conversation to go any deeper than that, but of course he knew better than to think the subject of his impending departure wouldn't come up at some point. Chan's smile lessened, but in size only, maintaining its sunny warmth while his chopped tail gave a few wags at the sentiment.

"Aww," he couldn't help but let out, teeth briefly showing in mildy-embarrassed appreciation. Chan wasn't a wolf that found it easy to accept compliments or praise, especially when he felt it was undeserved. In his opinion, Jethro had done more for himself and the others than had been done for him by anyone else, except for maybe Nori. That he had stayed at all despite her prolonged absence was another boon to the Cove that had not be asked of him, much less required. Chan and his family, therefor, had more to thank him for.

"I don't know if I've done all that much," he spoke with lips still curled upward in a smile, "you've a lot of credit to take yourself, y'know."

He pulled the hare toward him with a paw idly, mismatched gaze remaining politely observant of his companion's dial as they spoke.

"You're a good wolf, Jet. I've been proud to call you a pack mate."
Lone Wolf No Rank
Jethrᴏ Kane
Whether the other knew it or not, his humility and apparent self-consciousness were precisely why Jet had come to hold him in such high regard. These traits were not things he had ever seen before, from anyone, before now. Most of the other wolves of the cove, from what he had seen and knew about them, exhibited the same traits. But Chan, as the leader, and during that first trip, had been the clearest example of all of it.

The dark one did not let his own smile fade as the other spoke that he thought Jethro should take some credit, and that he was good, too. He’d heard similar things from Siyet, before, but it felt just as nice, now. To be recognized, and appreciated, was all he’d ever wanted. The thought of it never ceased to amaze. Where he might’ve been, without Nori’s intervention on that incredibly fateful day. She had brought him here to experience all of this, and Jet hoped that one day, he’d have the chance to thank her for that, too.

”Yah, maybe. And I appreciate that. Wouldn’t have happened without you an’ this pack, though.” The dark one paused to take a breath, to consider his words, and scan the area ahead, before turning his focus back to the other. ”My family didn’t want me. They didn’t care, but you all did. This pack - and you - showed me what kindness, loyalty, acceptance, and compassion look like. Without that, I’d either still be a selfish jerk holed up in some isolated area, or a frozen corpse wastin’ away somewhere.” There was so much more than just that, to it, too. But it was enough to illustrate the point, to explain what his situation had been like, and hopefully convey just how deep the gratitude he felt truly was.

Jethro owed everything about his current existence to this place, and also in large part, to Chan who had helped guide him since almost the very beginning.
Chan Eastfall
Jethro answered with maturity, giving Chan plenty of reason to maintain his simple smile. Already the other man had proven his point with those simple words alone, for the Eastfall could certainly concede to the value of community. It was difficult for any of them to be their best self without the intervention and guidance of others to help one along the way. The younger wolf continued on, however, illuminating to Chan that there was much more to it.

"Nori must've done quite the number then," his reply came with a brief closing of his eyes, allowing his smile a little room to grow even as the words held a light, teasing note, "because I certainly wouldn't of called you selfish when you first joined us either."

Jethro had been willing to do his part and speak honestly from the start, at least in Chan's own experiences with him. He hadn't been some difficult nut to crack in his eyes, but it made all the more sense if they were the first ones to even give the young man that chance. It certainly wasn't his fault this all was so novel to him.

"Fucked up that we're the first to believe in you. You've certainly deserved better. Every wolf does."

There actually was an urge now, to grab the rabbit carcass and see how far he could launch it. He opted out of showing Jethro's gift such disrespect, and plopped his hindquarters down into the shuffled snow instead. Might as well rest while they spoke.

"Y'got all the options in the world now, huh?"

He hoped it was a yes, that the other wolf understood he could have whatever he wanted from life.
(This post was last modified: Feb 13, 2022, 12:19 AM by Chan.)
Lone Wolf No Rank
Jethrᴏ Kane
The elder once more was spot on with his comment pertaining to Nori, and added that he wouldn’t have referred to Jet as selfish, either. All the while his tone remained light, hardly condemning or judgemental. It was what Jet had come to expect, here. Among the many things he had learned, was that he could take almost everyone in the pack at face value. What they said, was how they lived and acted.

Jet hoped he would never lose sight of that blessing, or come to take it for granted, though. ”I tried chasin’ her off, at first. But she.. sure as hell made a strong impression,” the dark one agreed, a note of both humor and melancholy echoing there. There was a fondness to the memories, as well as sorrow over his lost friend - and Chan’s lost family member.

Jethro looked away from his companion as he continued with a confession, focusing on the path before him. ”Y’didn’t know cause I hid it. Only came here ‘cause I wanted allies and a place I could run back to if I got into some serious shit. Never thought it’d become what it has, or that I’d actually.. care.” The guilt over that had eaten at him for a while, though it was something he’d fought to suppress by dutifully attending to whatever he could. To confess it though, made a difference. It was like one final bit of weight from his past being discarded.

Chan expressed something like regret or sympathy for his situation, and he was absolutely correct in his statement. ”Sure is. I hate ‘em, my family, but I wouldn’t change it, ‘cause of what I’ve learned.” There was a begrudging appreciation for the lessons at least, if not his family members themselves. The past year had been a mostly pleasant, though at times confusing journey, physically, mentally, and emotionally. And it was quite possibly only the start.

Jet found himself more than content to settle into the snow beside his companion, nodding at the final inquiry. ”Lot more than I ever thought. Keep thinkin’ about those backwater guys we met, leadin’ their pack, weren’t any older than me. I wanna try that, someday. And maybe share some of what I’ve learned, from you and the others, with anyone else that could use it.” It was a lofty ambition, but to confess it aloud made it seem more real.

Maybe he could do it, maybe not. There was nothing to lose in an attempt, though.
Chan Eastfall
That made sense, with everything he knew not just of his niece but her mother as well. They were both beacons - bright, indomitable and able to uplift even the most downtrodden of wolves. His own features pinched at the end of Jethro's words regarding the young girl, feeling a similar ache within. He wished dearly that he knew what had happened, even if there was nothing to be done anymore. If she had made her way back into the world, or if there was a need to mourn.

Y'didn't know 'cause I hid it, Jethro went on to claim, returning true mirth to Chan's features. That was all fine and well with him, no different than a whelp loving its mother for nourishing it. Who could be expected to care for others when those most basic of needs were not being met? A wolf by themself was constantly making choices that determined their survival.

... but I wouldn't change it, 'cause of what I learned.

Chan's ears lifted, a whisper of an oh? echoing within his mind. Lessons stemming from abuse were more likely detrimental, but of course there was nothing to truly be worried about - Jethro answered his questions both spoken and unuttered, making it clear that he wanted to be a wolf that passed on good to others. He trusted the young man's judgment more and more.

"That's the absolute best that any of us could do," he spoke with a measure of pride in his voice for the wolf before him. The world would certainly be alright so long as there were Jethros to lead the way.

"I think you'd make a fine leader."
(This post was last modified: Feb 21, 2022, 04:32 AM by Chan.)
Lone Wolf No Rank
Jethrᴏ Kane
His packmate, even at the revelation of some of Jet’s deeper secrets, didn’t offer judgment or condemnation. Quite to the contrary, in fact, he offered encouragement and thought Jet would make a fine leader. ”Appreciate that, man, coming from you. Just gotta start lookin’ around for places to settle. If I am anything close to good, though, it’s cause I learned from the best.” If he ever did achieve that goal, Jethro hoped to model himself after Chan, and to an extent, Aleister as well.

Between them, they had torn asunder just about every thought or expectation Jet could’ve ever had, and in the best of ways. If anything, that was how he hoped to be viewed, too. Treating everyone with fairness, justness, and kindness. Everyone that had earned it, anyway. It would be foolish to believe everyone had the best of intentions, too. Even if things went terribly, and he did not end up leading anyone, if the efforts led to him helping even just one other, that would be worth it.

”Enough ‘bout me, though. What’re you plannin’ to do, with your freedom?” Jet inquired with a wry grin, and a curious tip of his head. He was just as intrigued by that, too. For his friend was an exceptional leader, had close ties and family, and was a great packmate. What was it that motivated Chan to leave behind all of that?

A cool wind tickled his nose just then, and rustled the skin on his back, prompting the dark one to glance back over his shoulder to be sure nothing had been disturbed. It seemed to be wrapped up well enough, still.