683 Users Online
Google, Bing

Toeing the line — Drooping Willows 
Print · · Subscribe · 2 Loves ·
Played by Flywolf who has 61 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Daegal Archer
For @Venus

Daegal liked to think he was the best behaved of his siblings, especially since that snake incident a while back. It had stood in his memory for a long while, but now it seemed so very long ago that the pup was finally forgetting and moving on. He wanted to see more, to do more, to learn more about this big world they lived in.

He'd been very confused when things started to get wet again, and why the adults were so excited about it, but he couldn't complain. He wasn't as thirsty so much any more, and there were new streams to explore. It was all very fascinating to the four-month-old.

Today seemed like as good a day as any to begin wandering farther. He didn't bother checking to make sure he wasn't being followed; just wandered off. If mom wanted to follow him and scold him then he'd know what he couldn't do. It's not like he was deliberately disobeying her... yet. Once he'd reached the pack borders and crept over with hardly a pause? Well... what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

Played by becca who has 26 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Venus

Oh, she was lost!

She had wandered so far from home that she could see brand new mountains from here. Although it was willows that blocked her view of them today. At least the weather was nice, she mused. A clear sky and brisk air. Fall had truly arrived, it seemed.

In taking in all of the scents of the season, she discovered other things! A border not far from her that she politely skipped by only to be smacked by one of the scents a bit fresher. A bit...closer.

Well, she shouldn't be so surprised. This was claimed land. She imagined they frequented here beyond their borders as well. Only she had not expected to find a young boy. A pale mark against the rich land. For a moment she panicked, heart in her throat. Where was a mother? A father? A guardian?

She did not immediately spot one and so she opted to stumble into a caregiver role in their absence. Oh, hello! Her voice carried a melodic tune, nearly singing her words. Although she did not immediately move to crowd her space. Giving him ample distance in case he decided to flee. Are you from here, young man?

(This post was last modified: Sep 16, 2022, 05:13 PM by Venus.)
Inactive No Rank
Daegal Archer

It was somehow so different and yet so very the same this side of the border. The land was similar, but the smells were so strange. There was none of that familiar tickle of his mom's warmth in the soil, none of Hagar's strength in the trees. He supposed he should have expected that, being on the outside. They wouldn't need to mark it. Daegal wondered if he might get lost if he wandered too far away, without their scent to guide him back.

Just as he was contemplating turning back, an unfamiliar voice called out. Daegal froze and stood up straight, ears pricked as silver eyes searched for the source. He soon found it, a woman standing not far and yet not particularly close. The pup considered her for a moment before slowly nodding. She seemed friendly and Daegal had never had a bad experience with a wolf, so he didn't think to be frightened.

Inactive No Rank
Venus

He hadn't really...answered. Verbally, but that was okay! A nod was good enough. She lowered herself down some. As if such a thing was even needed with her short, cloud-like body.

He seemed cute as a button! It stirred something ancient in her heart, yearning and soft. Swaddled in silk. Carefully she pushed the feeling down and tucked it away for another time.

Well, then I bet you're the best wolf to ask for advice! How lucky am I! Praise and glee in her voice, mingled with one another. Her tail offered wide and low sweeps behind her. Have you ever offered advice before?

Inactive No Rank
Daegal Archer

The stranger lowered herself, bringing her gaze more level with Daegal's. He tilted his head at her slightly and inched forward a few steps, sniffing in her direction to try and catch her scent. She didn't smell like the others he knew. She was missing that underlying home, that thing he'd come to take for granted as just the common smell of 'wolf'. Now he wondered if that smell was just 'family'.

His ears twitched at the mention of advice. What advice could she want from him? This was his first time outside the territory! Maybe she wanted to know where it was and talk to his mom? He shrugged and shook his head, though his tail swayed slightly behind him and the idea of being able to help someone.

Inactive No Rank
Venus

Truthfully, she had figured his experience with advice would be limited. He was a child! He should be allowed to be free and rambunctious. Or in his case, quiet and sweet. It only endeared her further to the boy!

Well, can I tell you a secret? Not that it was much of one! I traveled from my own home and got very lost. Now I don't know where I am, or what's around me. She feigned some sense of sheepishness. Turning her head away from him to briefly tuck it into her shoulder before she looked back at him.

Kind of silly of me, huh?

Inactive No Rank
Daegal Archer

Daegal was coming to the conclusion that he liked this woman. She was nice, and not scary at all, not like the snake that had ruined his last little solo excursion. Plus, he knew how to interact with other wolves! A small smile pulled at his mouth as his tail wagged a little faster. He crept even closer, eyes bright as she mentioned a secret. I can keep a secret!

His eyes grew wide as she mentioned traveling - and being lost. He'd never been lost but he knew he didn't wanna be. A small frown crossed his features as he cocked his head. "This's home," he said, thinking it would be more helpful that it actually would be to someone from far away.

Inactive No Rank
Venus

He spoke! At last!

Somehow, she felt treasured at that moment. That his voice would finally reach her ears! She wondered if he was selective with his words. He certainly seemed so from what little she knew of the boy.

Do you like your home? Are they kind? She had a feeling this was not a boy of a warmonger. Otherwise surely he would have greeted her with fierce puppy teeth! Or he would have an army behind him, prepared to make a rug of her fur. A harrowing thought! She had to remind herself that it was not real.

Inactive No Rank
Daegal Archer

The woman seemed pleased, but why Daegal didn't know. She asked him this time about his home. His tail lifted a little further and he nodded emphatically. He loved his mom and his brother and sister and the other grown ups that took care of them.

"Wanna come see?" he asked. If she was lost and missing her home, maybe his home would be good enough? Maybe they could help her feel safe again. He couldn't imagine being away from his family for so long. He would miss them too much, and they would most certainly miss him. His mom came and tucked them in every night; she wouldn't ever let him be missing. She'd come find him.

"...Don't they miss you?"

Inactive No Rank
Venus

First he offered for her to come see it.

Then he asked if they missed her.

For a moment, she grew thoughtful and silent. It was a question that weighed heavily upon her. There would be no doubt in her mind that her family missed her dearly. No question that Julian wondered what he had done wrong, why she had strayed away from him. Yet these were things beyond the mind of a child.

I bet they do but...they also understand. Sometimes adults go away from home for a while. Much much longer than any young boy or growing girl should, though.

Julian didn't understand. Artie and Mead would not have been old enough to understand either. These things she could not come to terms with.

Tell you what, why don't I go find a gift to bring to your home first? It's important to bring new gifts to new homes. Think you could give me a hint on what your home might want?